Bandit role in MMO: Which great MMO provides the player that option?

Elder Scrolls Online disappointed me, seriously. There is no pick pocketing, no looting characters, extremely near unfunctional pvp combat, and a lore orient that provides no options for traditional Elder Scrolls NPC roles. What I had was what I thought was the ultimate role for me; I wanted to be able to create bandit crew of Argonian characters, then stick around bridges, rivers, or fortes and play out the role of the NPC bandit on unsuspecting characters. This may seem harsh but it would make awesome fun. i Sooo0oo I'm wondering if you guys know of a MMO that is worth playing wherein I could play that role with whatever character, skimping the Argonian crew obviously since ESO is crap.

I can't really think of any traditional mmo, only really archage or maybe eve offers unfettered grieving of areas camping, ransoming freedom, that is traditional fantasy mmos don't really let you get away with that sort of game play because most players would get irritated by it and its actively balanced against.

I think archage has a more pvp approach, that is probably the only fantasy rpgmmo with a moderate player base and a rather heavy focus on pvp, I don't follow it though and I think the last time I read about the camping / blockading roads they were talking about nerfing it because it was simply pissing most ppl off. that was ages ago though you;d have to read up on whats possible now. but that has a crime system afaik.

perhaps there are others, but they aren't going to be AAA mmos or have that much of a player base. generally these sorts of unconventional game play elements are considered rather niche.

I mention eve simply because, yes its not a fantasy rpgmmo, but you can do exactly what your asking, camp places, with friends, kill or ransom anyone who comes along, and you can sit there and do it forever if you want, until a bigger fish comes along. Like i said i don't follow archage so i dunno how well its doing but in terms of just pirating /banditry eve has it in spades, and it does have a moderately sized community. it really depends if you have an interest for the space theme.

There just aren't many if any fantasy mmos with permanent loss, which is what your really asking for in terms of lasting impact for your shenanigans. no mmo other than eve gives you the satisfaction from depriving some poor sod of his expensive shit. iirc you do lose xp on death in archage, but you don't lose your gear.
    Last edited by Heathy; 2016-03-07 at 02:02 AM.

That is flippin fgtree. MMOs should offer players more options, especially one that holds the Elder Scrolls franchise title. How about Guild Wars 2, how is it? I'm more of the medieval fantasy genre type.

I don't play it (but there is a sub forum here for it), I have heard its a rather good mmo, but as far as the level of banditry, I'm guessing its probably not as tolerant as Archage. thats the only one i know of that allows the sort of thing your asking for but even that probably won't do it justice for you most of the theme park mmos are largely the same when it comes to balancing customer happiness and having the ability to camp or block off chunks of the game with camps is pretty much non-existent because, well its generally just considered griefing, again only eve, because its a sandbox not a theme park does it allow players free reign over what they do within the game world. its up to the players to sort out the bandit problems, 'greifing' doesn't really exist, just failure to act accordingly on part of the victim by either venturing to a place where they should have avoided or bring enough friends to even the odds. there is no 'I'm telling the gms on you' nonsense in a sandbox.

if you want to know why more games don't have permanent loss and more freedom to grief, its probably a combination of wanting as many players as possible coupled with the generally limited game worlds you get in fantasy rpgs, they seem pretty large when you start out but you soon explore the whole thing and its like 'well that isn't really THAT big' and that relative smallness of game world means that when you start camping parts of it your depriving others from seeing it, which is just again rolling down the hill of griefs. permanent loss is another chance a developer needs to take, losing stuff permanently tends to dissuade a lot of folks i think when they know that they can grind for 5-6 hrs and lose it in 10mins.
    Last edited by Heathy; 2016-03-07 at 02:39 AM.