Thread: upgrade

Deleted

upgrade

I have still a 2500k , Nvidia 770 and 8 gig ddr.
    If i wanna keep playing, WOW and FF 14 etc wich of these parts need a upgrade for the coming 5 years ?
    Last edited by mmoc0f414bb515; 2016-03-07 at 01:00 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by boynl View Post
    I have still a 2500k , Nvidia 770 and 8 gig ddr.
    If i wanna keep, playing WOW and FF 14 etc wich of these parts need a upgrade for the coming 5 years ?
    Id wait to upgrade to Cannonlake in late 2017 for the cpu, but you could upgrade to a 6600k or 6700k and see a good performance increase. Also, wait until later this year when both Nvidia and AMD will be releasing new 14/16nm gpus which will see large performance increases over today's gpus. I think Kaby lake is coming out later this year as well replacing skylake cpus. I would wait until the end of the year to upgrade.

you'll be building a new pc more likely than not. start putting some money aside for a christmas present to yourself

Deleted
    Your 2500k cpu has still alot of power in it. If you have it overclock, do it if you haven't with an aftermarket cpu cooler, say 4.4-4.5Ghz will be about the same performance as the current i5 6600k. The gtx770 is still good enough especially for wow. I have the same and the load while playing wow is nothing for this card (capped at 60fps@1080p). If you were playing more gpu intensive games you could get a new gpu but you would have to drop some serious cash and definately not now but with the new ones coming out later this year. To give you a ballpark, the current gtx970 is like 10% faster than your gtx770. Definately not worth the money upgrading. You'd have to go for at least a R9 390X - Fury - gtx980ti at this moment.

Quote Originally Posted by Chickat View Post
    Id wait to upgrade to Cannonlake in late 2017 for the cpu, but you could upgrade to a 6600k or 6700k and see a good performance increase. Also, wait until later this year when both Nvidia and AMD will be releasing new 14/16nm gpus which will see large performance increases over today's gpus. I think Kaby lake is coming out later this year as well replacing skylake cpus. I would wait until the end of the year to upgrade.
    In WoW he may see a 10-15% increase in performance going to Skylake but I do not think he would notice any difference at all in FFXIV. All in all, if you have a 2500K with a good OC, WoW is about the only game left that will see an increase in performance and we are not talking huge gains here, not really worth it at all.

10+ Year Old Account
    Still even more reason to wait until Cannonlake in 2017 for 10nm. I definitely would wait for the new gpus this summer/fall though. They may be twice as powerful as his 770. Even 30-40% is worth the wait when his 770 is more than adequate for WoW, and plays all games with settings lowered a bit.

Deleted
    thnx for the info