Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    For some reason I can't edit my post.

Popping a ponytail on the police officer emoji is unnecessary.
    X

Quote Originally Posted by Bayuriel View Post
    Emojis may not be sexist but they are retarded.
    QFT.

/10char

sweet mother of god...is there anything not sexist for these people?

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bayuriel View Post
    Emojis may not be sexist but they are retarded.
    And yet not nearly as retarded as this thread or the article it links to.

Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    So you don't think having females in no professional roles and generally in pink isn't at least a form of unconscious sexism?
    Pink use to be actually associated with men, and blue with women. It flipped at some point, not sure when. Either way i think the whole thing is ridiculous? Who cares it's an emoji.

Deleted
    The thing im really wondering is "since when are emoji gender specific?" This doesn't look male nor female, it looks like a facial expression.

Sexist emoji's.......
    /face palm

/backing out of this thread slowly.

I mean, the boy and girl emojis have completely identical faces, and both match the officer's face (minus the mouth being shifted down one pixel). It doesn't match either the man or woman emojis, since the man has a moustache and the woman has lipstick (The officer has neither of these traits). Microsoft's tileset is even more sexually ambiguous, and Google's emojis are all jellies. But here's the thing, right: There were already plans to address this very "issue" before the linked article was published. But it's really telling how "Not progressive enough" is taken to mean "Sexist" by some people. This is just another case of crying wolf sexism where there is absolutely none to be found.

Last edited by Anonymous1038853; 2016-03-09 at 08:19 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    No, emoji isn't sexist, racist or the like. When people started asking for other face colors, it started wobling. They should all just have the same yellow color.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Quote Originally Posted by May90 View Post
    I might say something unconventional here, something many people will disagree with... But I don't think following sexist stereotypes in itself is being sexist. I'll try to explain what I mean by that.

For example, the dolls aimed at girls usually look something like this:
    https://timedotcom.files.wordpress.c...ip=color&w=838
    For boys, it is more often this:
    http://g02.a.alicdn.com/kf/HTB1vE9vJ...cm-MVFG234.jpg

Apparently, these dolls are based on sexist stereotypes: that guys tend to be more rough and strong physically, while girls tend to be more comely and family-focused. However, these stereotypes aren't exactly unfounded: this, indeed, is how our roles have been separated for the majority of our history. This separation, while greatly reduced nowadays, still exists. Encouraging this separation would be sexist, but merely following its trends when deciding what kind of dolls to make - would not.

Here is one premise that many people believe to be true when calling such things sexist: that acknowledging and following stereotypes implies agreement with these stereotypes. It is, apparently, false. I strongly disagree that, for example, "women are tender creatures", as someone said in another thread. However, this stereotype does exist. I can make jokes related to this stereotype; that doesn't imply that I believe in this stereotype holding true, merely that this stereotype exists. Same way, when I talk about an abstract physicist winning a Nobel Prize, I can use the word "he" when describing them: it doesn't mean that I think that a woman cannot, or is unlikely to, win the Nobel Prize in physics - however, statistics shows that, indeed, so far men have been doing it far more often, so it wouldn't be sexist to imply that the physicist in question is a man. What would be sexist, however, is to demand that one uses inclusive language: if someone criticizes me for referring to the physicist as "he" on the basis that it might be "she", then it is sexist, because the person believes that gender is somehow important in this circumstance, while I do not believe that.

So, whenever someone says, "Emojis are sexist, because they are based on gender stereotypes" - not only is he wrong, but he is also, ironically, being sexist, implying that the emojis' gender is somehow important. I don't mind it if the person asks for diversity in emojis, but I do mind it when someone wants to impose censorship just because some stereotypes hurt their feelings. There are many ways to fight off harmful stereotypes, and censorship is not one of them. Promoting the discussion on topic is, and that is what Tennisace and other posters frequenting these topics can be commended for (although the way he does it is questionable, at best). But calling someone sexist just because they follow the trends and acknowledge existing stereotypes - I think it does more harm than good.

---

Wow, I haven't put so much thought in my comments in a while!
    I agree with you. I don't take offense to people calling me "he" in online games either when they don't know what I am, and I never correct them. To me it's neutral. My nursing books nearly always refer to nurses as "she", that's not much different. Male nurses here do experience some negative stereotypes about their personality, but that's from female coworkers - not from books or emojis. Start there...

I don't mind that they are working on adding the requested emojis, I just think it's not gonna make a difference. I believe that language (and emojis...) will change or at least be perceived differently when people's attitudes change, not the other way around.
    Last edited by Zindai; 2016-03-09 at 08:54 AM.
    Best Zindai EU
    Quote Originally Posted by cqwrteur View Post
    I am not one person.

No.

Next tennisace outrage peddling thread.

Deleted
    I doubt 10 year old kids that use emoji's care about this?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by tennisace View Post
    [/b]
    https://beta.thestar.com/life/2016/0...is-sexist.html

never thought of this before. She does make some great points.
    lmfao xD
    srsly lmao

Quote Originally Posted by Deruyter View Post
    I doubt 10 year old kids that use emoji's care about this?
    they probably didn't until Always pointed it out.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes. On the basis that everything is sexist if you try hard enough.
    Putin khuliyo

I haven't thought about this problem before.

I doubt it's a very important and pressing problem anyway.

What's my favorite emoji (on Facebook)? :poop: :D

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zindai View Post
    I agree with you. I don't take offense to people calling me "he" in online games either when they don't know what I am, and I never correct them. To me it's neutral. My nursing books nearly always refer to nurses as "she", that's not much different. Male nurses here do experience some negative stereotypes about their personality, but that's from female coworkers - not from books or emojis. Start there...

I don't mind that they are working on adding the requested emojis, I just think it's not gonna make a difference. I believe that language (and emojis...) will change or at least be perceived differently when people's attitudes change, not the other way around.
    Yes, I see it the same way: it is not that these emojis contribute to sexism, but, rather, they are a manifestation of the sexist attitude and stereotypes in the society. When the attitude changes, these manifestations will disappear as well. But trying to shut down manifestations without addressing the core of the problem will only have the reverse effect.
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.
    Thanks for the avatar goes to Carbot Animations and Sy.

Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    [/B]
    https://beta.thestar.com/life/2016/0...is-sexist.html

Never thought of this before. She does make some great points.
    No, she doesn't. She just doesn't have anything proper to write about. Btw, I think clouds are decidedly sexist. I'll make up a bullshit story and sell it to some random website, will you read it?
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!
    PSA: Being a volunteer is no excuse to make a shite job of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rickmagnus View Post
    Can't anything be unisex anymore?
    We all know that unisex means for woman. My wife keeps getting me to wear or do stuff unisex. "It's for men and women" she says. No it isn't. It's for women.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nizah View Post
    why so mad bro

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Riptor View Post
    Is sexist too?

Also who the fuck really gives a shit about Emojis that much?
    Tennisace aka the bait spambot