Page 1 of 7
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Angry Speaking up about skimpy clothes could cost waitresses their jobs

Labour groups and some restaurant owners say the Ontario Human Rights Commission's recent report on sexualized dress codes is not entirely in touch with the realities of life in the industry.

They agree with the commission's assertion that restaurants and bars should never force female staff to wear skimpy clothing as part of a work uniform.

But they argue that speaking up against such dress codes, as politicians suggest, wouldn't bring about the change the commission is hoping for.

Instead, they say the woman in question is likely to wind up having her hours reduced or losing her job altogether.

Some also say they worry the report sends a message that revealing clothes are shameful and stigmatizes those who do choose to wear them.

They say the ideal situation is one in which male and female restaurant staff have an equal choice to wear whatever they want.

The Commission issued a policy paper on gender-specific dress codes Tuesday to coincide with International Women's Day, calling for an end to clothing requirements that discriminate against female and transgender workers.

Chief commissioner Renu Mandhane called on employers to do away with uniforms that reinforce gender stereotypes and decried the notion that a staff member's worth was directly tied to her appearance.

The paper prompted Ontario Women's Issues Minister Tracy MacCharles to say female employees should feel empowered to speak up and voice complaints if they have concerns about their dress code.

One of Canada's largest unions lauded the commission for flagging the issue for broader discussion, but said the report presents an idealized vision of life in the restaurant business.

Debora De Angelis, national co-ordinator for strategic campaigns with the United Food and Commercial Workers union, said the business is an inherently unstable one rife with temporary positions offering erratic hours.

Such conditions leave female workers vulnerable to reprisals, she said, adding they also exacerbate the risks faced by any agitator trying to instigate change in their field.

"When we're going out and we're organizing workers, they know that if they step up and they say something against a policy or against the management's unfair tactics, that they're going to be disciplined or terminated," De Angelis said in a telephone interview.

The policy paper has no mechanism to enforce the standards they're pushing for, she said, adding legislation would be the most effective way to level the playing field.

MacCharles has previously indicated that new laws were not the best way to address the issue, saying she preferred to focus on businesses that were taking proactive steps to implement fair policies.

"I am pleased, however, that this issue has been brought to the surface and that the conversation is growing," she said in a statement.

"As the conversation develops, I am committed to continue working with my cabinet colleagues to build on the work we've already done through our Sexual Violence and Harassment Plan because we know there is always more that we can do."

One major chain occasionally criticized for its scantily clad servers has already announced plans to revisit the issue in light of the commission's position.

A spokesman for Earls released a statement saying the dress code is being tweaked to revise the terms of the suggested dress code for women.

Cate Simpson said current rules suggest women wear skirts but can switch to pants upon request.

"We should be wording our suggested dress code as a black skirt no shorter than one inch above the knee or a straight cut plain black pant," Simpson said in the statement. "We were unaware we were in contravention of the Ontario Human Rights Code until it was released March 8th and consequently female servers will now be offered the choice of pants or a skirt rather than having to request it."

Simpson said the ultimate goal is for uniform suggestions to be the same for both male and female employees.

Equality is at the heart of concerns one Ottawa restaurant feels about the commission's approach, as well as it's attempt to voice those concerns in public.

On Wednesday night, male servers at Union Local 613 donned miniskirts and high heels in part to show solidarity for women who are required to project a sexy image on the job.

But co-owner Ivan Gedz said he's also hoping to combat some of the stigma surrounding people who do opt to wear skimpy attire.

He said the complexity of the issue was brought home to him by patrons who criticized the move, falsely believing he was trying to shame people who choose a more provocative approach to dress.

"In my ignorance, I just assumed it was obvious that the sleazy part was the mandating of this dress code by people, not the dress code itself," he said, adding that staff of all genders should be free to wear what they please on the job.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toront...oups-1.3486612

A real shame that it has come to this. The war has reached our doorsteps. Us Canadians are better than this.

They should be fired on the spot.

No work place should have a dress code its racist or whatever
    Gamdwelf the Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    I'm calling it, Republicans will hold congress in 2018 and Trump will win again in 2020.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam the Wiser View Post
    They should be fired on the spot.
    What? Women aren't slaves.

Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    Which makes sense then. Because you can't fire a slave since they don't have a job to begin with.

10+ Year Old Account
    If the thread tittle has an angry emote, then itl most likely be a stupid TS thread

10+ Year Old Account
    There is a big and lucrative lawsuit waiting to unfold.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

You think slaves can quit?

Deleted
    I could swear we did this exact thread like a year ago....maybe less.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gamdwelf View Post
    No work place should have a dress code its racist or whatever
    Indeed. Everyone should just work naked.
    Putin khuliyo

Restaurants should just have both sexes be in "skimpy" clothes, makes everything a lot simpler.

The war has reached our doorsteps.
    War? Hahahahaha I can't stop laughing.
    Goodbye-Forever-MMO-Champ
    Quote Originally Posted by HighlordJohnstone View Post
    Alleria's whispers start climaxing

If you are trying to take away the appeal of Hooters and The Titled Kilt, we are going to have serious problems OP. Believe it or not, a lot of women at these jobs prefer to wear what they do because they get tipped more that way. Its not as if they sign up for the job and then are blindsided by some new requirement to wear these uniforms. They know it going in. If they aren't comfortable, they don't apply.

Youre pretty much telling women that they don't know whats good for them and they shouldn't be allowed to wear these uniforms. That's sexist and youre oppressing them.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace
    No one said they are.

Deleted
    So having people in skimpy outfits sells more stuff so the dress code is skimpy.
    The person trying to get a job there knows that before she/he starts the job.

How is this the company's fault?

Don't want to dress in a skimpy outfit? Go work somewhere else?
    I am sure waiting on tables is not so hard that you can't do the same in a different establishment.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Arishtat View Post
    I could swear we did this exact thread like a year ago....maybe less.
    I'm pretty sure it was last week actually.

Skimpy like this?

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ellieg View Post
    If you are trying to take away the appeal of Hooters and The Titled Kilt, we are going to have serious problems OP. Believe it or not, a lot of women at these jobs prefer to wear what they do because they get tipped more that way. Its not as if they sign up for the job and then are blindsided by some new requirement to wear these uniforms. They know it going in. If they aren't comfortable, they don't apply.

Youre pretty much telling women that they don't know whats good for them and they shouldn't be allowed to wear these uniforms. That's sexist and youre oppressing them.
    I think a better compromise can be reached by modifying the standards (and not at places like Hooters or the Tilted Kilt where it's part of the appeal) so a waitress has a little freedom to chose who modest or skimpy her outfit is.
    Putin khuliyo

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Forgettable View Post
    I'm pretty sure it was last week actually.
    Probably so. But I remember him making this thread..something something see through dress or shirt..if I wasn't lazy I'd go through his post history and find it.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Plenty of restaurant work out there. Don't like the environment or uniform? Move on to another place.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Indeed. Everyone should just work naked.
    Clothes just get in the way of my productivity.
    Gamdwelf the Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    I'm calling it, Republicans will hold congress in 2018 and Trump will win again in 2020.