Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account

The problem with Themepark MMOs ...

... is you can't live in a themepark.

Once you have taken all of the rides you are interested in and tire of them ... you go home.

Just something that occurred to me while on the porcelain throne.
    Internet forums are more for circlejerking (patting each other on the back) than actual discussion (exchange and analysis of information and points of view). Took me long enough to realise ...

Deleted
    So go play Eve, Archeage or random crappy Korean f2p MMO with no end game content other than pvp and grinding.

Themepark MMOs are actually more successful. WoW, Rift and SWTOR have more players than the above. Wildstar would too but that game has many other problems.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Windowmaker View Post
    So go play Eve, Archeage or random crappy Korean f2p MMO with no end game content other than pvp and grinding.

Themepark MMOs are actually more successful. WoW, Rift and SWTOR have more players than the above. Wildstar would too but that game has many other problems.
    Excluding the outline that is WoW ... I don't really think Rfit and SWTOR is doing that well. Wildstar just had staff cuts from what I heard.

Say what you want about Korean MMOs, for reasons I have yet to grasp, there are a fuck ton of them. If that many people are making them, there must be money to be made doing whatever it is they are doing.

PS: Also one has to question the "sanity" of themepark MMO development. For X amount of developer time spent, you only get <<X amount of player time. Themepark content burns out so quickly.
    Last edited by SodiumChloride; 2016-03-12 at 12:12 PM.
    Internet forums are more for circlejerking (patting each other on the back) than actual discussion (exchange and analysis of information and points of view). Took me long enough to realise ...

Quote Originally Posted by SodiumChloride View Post
    Excluding the outline that is WoW ... I don't really think Rfit and SWTOR is doing that well. Wildstar just had staff cuts from what I heard.

Say what you want about Korean MMOs, for reasons I have yet to grasp, there are a fuck ton of them. If that many people are making them, there must be money to be made doing whatever it is they are doing.

PS: Also one has to question the "sanity" of themepark MMO development. For X amount of developer time spent, you only get <<X amount of player time. Themepark content burns out so quickly.
    Rift not but Swtor is doing very well and games like FFXIV as well.
    Korean MMO's are mostly popular in asia because they actually enjoy the grindiness of it all.
    THe sanity is the same for any game you develop.I have yet to hear of a successful game that has taken less developer hours to create than a player took to finish it. Even if you make randomly generated content that could technically provide infinite playtime, nobody will actually play it forever in practice. You will still have a finite amonut of player time invested,which is always going to be less than the time invested to develop it.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by axell View Post
    Rift not but Swtor is doing very well and games like FFXIV as well.
    Korean MMO's are mostly popular in asia because they actually enjoy the grindiness of it all.
    THe sanity is the same for any game you develop.I have yet to hear of a successful game that has taken less developer hours to create than a player took to finish it. Even if you make randomly generated content that could technically provide infinite playtime, nobody will actually play it forever in practice. You will still have a finite amonut of player time invested,which is always going to be less than the time invested to develop it.
    Sure, it won't last forever. But theme park content ... A quest will last for like 15 mins. A raid, about a month.

It's a matter of magnitude.

There is neither a problem with temepark nor with sandbox MMO's. Both target a somewhat different audience and both work. If you want to see a problem, it's with threads like this, where they try to make problems with the games.

Themepark content burns out so quickly.
    If they design it that way yes. In the case of WoW for example, in the past it usually took longer to consume the content than it took to develop it.

Quote Originally Posted by Vidget View Post
    If they design it that way yes. In the case of WoW for example, in the past it usually took longer to consume the content than it took to develop it.
    It's pretty ridiculous how much effort they not only put into environment design, but 4 goddamn difficulties of encounter design, only for it to become irrelevant at the bleeding edge after a week or two, and absolutely irrelevant for everyone by the time they churn the next one out. They seem to forget that their expansion packs are supposed to be packs, not a ticket directly to the most recent raid content. I'm not saying they should go back to the BC model of over the top attunements and stuff, but there has to be a happy medium between then and now that gives the older content of a current expansion more legs. I see where they're coming from but I think it does more harm than good.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dextroden View Post
    You are a carbon copy of what you long so hard to fight in the streets. An extremist. Someone so desperate for strife to prove you are the ubermensch, err, Real American.

Alt lite. Sounds like you're having an alt fright. Unable to sleep at alt night. Maybe you should relax and fly an alt kite. Go down to the diner for an alt bite. You shouldn't be treating people with alt spite. Eventually, everything will be alt right.

Deleted

I think you are forgetting you only need 100k active players or subscribers to already be a profit making MMORPG, you don't need 8mil players.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Vidget View Post
    It was until they made all content aside from the last patch irrelevant.