Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    k...5' 10" and around 146lbs...and lost nearly 90lbs...that's an impressive loss.

You can't bulk up if you're not putting anything in, diet-wise. And 1000 calories is far too little. Need a minimum of 3k. For positive weight gain, at least double that.
    Also, muscle means you need protein. You won't build any muscle without it.
    The fastest way of building up the abs is jogging. I would also add "planks" for core strength. And doing those will make you abs sore as hell if you're not used to it. (Recovery takes protein, which will rebuild muscle tissue)

This was my advice on another thread about building weight:
    Spoiler: 

You'll have to start off slow. You need to build up the connective tissue as well as the muscle. I remember all too well jogging with weights and thinking my 1.5lbs on each forearm was too little. I'd only been doing that for a little over a year. So I threw on 5lbs on each arm...and got shin splints so bad I had to take a year off. Limping for that whole time wasn't fun.

Now, that being said, you won't need much. Just make sure you take a daily multi-vitamin, keep to a diet that includes certain lean meats, (chicken breast and salmon are excellent choices for protein. Although depending on where you are, the salmon might be pricey.) Carbs are also important. (bread, rice etc, will keep your energy up when you need it) If you feel the need for additional protein, there are plenty of choices involving whey protein. Not much for beef protein. neither is better than the other I don't think. But I do mix things up taking beef one day then whey the next. My bro once told me that if I was ever serious to take 120-150 grams a day. (But I refuse to get that crazy)

Some people sometimes suggest going to bed hungry to keep the fat off. I don't. (I remember poorer times, and I hated that empty feeling) I eat an apple or some fruit before snoozing. And I try to make it 8 hours of sleep. (That's when your body rests and rebuilds)

A different muscle group every day. And I always take one day completely off for full relaxation and to give myself a treat.

Disclaimer: This isn't for everyone. It's just how I do things. I used to weigh 165-170 around 15 years ago. I'm nearing the 200 range and it's all muscle. I'm pretty sure someone has a better workout regimen as I'm 50 years old and I'm getting a little tuckered out these days. And as always, have a chat with your doctor before going crazy.
    Well informed post. Follow this guy's lead.

You are skinny fat right now because you are not building muscle. Eat (healthy) more. Workout more.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mentia View Post
    Well informed post. Follow this guy's lead.

You are skinny fat right now because you are not building muscle. Eat (healthy) more. Workout more.
    i have been working out for 8 months, 5-6 days a week,

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by niker99 View Post
    Do you have a set program? Or do you suffer from fuckaroundtitis?

If you have been consistent on a good program for 8 months I would believe you would look different(atleast I did)

Need a better diet. Working out with nothing in (and 1k calories is just that; nothing) means you're not going to gain anything. Muscle doesn't spontaneously create itself. If you have nothing going in, then there's nothing to build on.

But you are starving yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Deldavala View Post
    Do you have a set program? Or do you suffer from fuckaroundtitis?

If you have been consistent on a good program for 8 months I would believe you would look different(atleast I did)
    Has more to do with the fact he has no food intakes. 1000 calories his body is literally just surviving. Im more impressed hes not complaining that he feels like he has no energy.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ouch View Post
    Has more to do with the fact he has no food intakes. 1000 calories his body is literally just surviving. Im more impressed hes not complaining that he feels like he has no energy.
    If you are completly new to weight training and overweight, a low calorie diet(aslong as you get sufficient protein, amino acids, minerals/vitamins) can give decent amount of muscle gain, atleast in the start. I agree that he has starved himself too far at this point, but if he had a proper program the whole way, I would assume that he had tacked on some more muscle.

what would 1000 calories look like in food terms?

Deleted
    well i get angry easy, and i feel pissed and sad all the time, that may be the no energy feel..

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Raybourne View Post
    1000calories can vary depending on diet. When I lost my first 20kg I had around 1k calories a day(with a refeed every 2 weeks). Normal day was around 700-800g of chicken filet and some broccoli.

Deleted
    well.. i wake up, take some 100g chicken with salad, proteinshake after gym, and some more protein yoghurt without carbs/sugar in the day wich is 60 calories per 100g.. , and then some 100g chicken or red meat/salad at night, so on weeks im always at 900-1000

Not sure. Spread out during a day, it's very little. Drinks are water, black tea and/or coffee without sugar, maybe a small glass of orange juice; a couple slices of bread and a piece of fruit, a small green salad (no dressing), a small portion of chicken breast, a smaller portions of certain vegetables, (broccoli, carrots,...maybe a small potato).

I'd be dead on this diet.

- - - Updated - - -

well.. i wake up, take some 100g chicken with salad, proteinshake after gym, and some more protein yoghurt without carbs/sugar in the day wich is 60 calories per 100g.. , and then some 100g chicken or red meat/salad at night, so on weeks im always at 900-1000
    No wonder you lost the weight.

But the protein is making up for calorie loss. Which means it's not being used for building up muscle.

Id eat more normally if i was you, you really arent fat and if your training is as good as you said youll get much better results. Hell you are good at keeping track of your intake and you have put 8 months of solid training, so it should be easy to go from there. Personally id also diverse from doing chicken every day, but thats a personal thing that helps me stay steady. Tuna, Salmon, Turkey, list goes on.

15+ Year Old Account
    Id eat more normally if i was you, you really arent fat and if your training is as good as you said youll get much better results. Hell you are good at keeping track of your intake and you have put 8 months of solid training, so it should be easy to go from there. Personally id also diverse from doing chicken every day, but thats a personal thing that helps me stay steady. Tuna, Salmon, Turkey, list goes on.
    Well I did it a couple of years back. I was a fat slob(120-ish kg at 1.78) and needed something to kick me into shape. Lost the first 20kg while doing steady progress on the weights. Lost 25 more at a more convervative diet adn got the so called 6-pack. And are now bulking to reach my strenght goals(closing in on that 200kg Deadlift).

Regarding the diet, Chicken was the only thing that was decently priced and had low enough fat content. Turkey in Norway is expensive, Tuna and Salmon both have too much fat for an extreme diet like that(aiming for less than 20g and 20g carbs a day). I had some Cod aswell from time to time, but Chicken with srichacha and broccoli is actually more tasty, when you cant add other carbs.
    Last edited by Deldavala; 2016-03-12 at 04:44 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    been on a 1000 calorie diet with eating 150-300 more on friday/saturdays, Starting to lose faith on those abs and i hate no making any more progress in weights..
    You're not going to put on any muscle or build anything on 1000 calories a day. That's under starvation. That's seriously unhealthy.

Quote Originally Posted by Deldavala View Post
    Well I did it a couple of years back. I was a fat slob(120-ish kg at 1.78) and needed something to kick me into shape. Lost the first 20kg while doing steady progress on the weights. Lost 25 more at a more convervative diet adn got the so called 6-pack. And are now bulking to reach my strenght goals(closing in on that 200kg Deadlift).

Regarding the diet, Chicken was the only thing that was decently priced and had low enough fat content. Turkey in Norway is expensive, Tuna and Salmon both have too much fat for an extreme diet like that(aiming for less than 20g and 20g carbs a day). I had some Cod aswell from time to time, but Chicken with srichacha and broccoli is actually more tasty, when you cant add other carbs.
    Im more in the school of thinking of its better to lose weight slowly honestly and burn your fat into muscles by eating more normally but creating the deficit of calories into your training. Its how i burned 30 extra pounds 6 years ago. It took 8-9 months but i never had to bulk up. The op is really not fat, he gains nothing by doing a 1000 calories diet anymore, infact hes losing things, because its not healthy at all.

Its in the same lines of mistake like people doing only cardio for hours every day and eating next to nothing. All it does it lose weight then look scrowny so you are still not happy about it. The best results is always the path that takes times.
    Last edited by minteK917; 2016-03-12 at 04:54 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Im more in the school of thinking of its better to lose weight slowly honestly and burn your fat into muscles by eating more normally but creating the deficit of calories into your training. Its how i burned 30 extra pounds 6 years ago. It took 8-9 months but i never had to bulk up. The op is really not fat, he gains nothing by doing a 1000 calories diet anymore, infact hes losing things, because its not healthy at all.
    I said that earlier aswell. He could prob do the 1000calorie thing for his first 10-15kg then switch to a more moderate diet. Loosing more than 1kg a week is moving into dangerous territory and should not be kept for too long, unless you are really fat(like 100+ and lower than 1.80).

For him now I am suggesting a slow bulk at around 2.2-2.5k calories a day. 120g+ protein, 75g fat and the rest either carbs or whatever he feels like. With a good program like Starting strenght or 5x5 he can have a steady progress for atleast 6-12months and will have awesome results.

10+ Year Old Account
    1000 calorie is just unhealthy.
    I eat 3000 per day and weigh abou 80kg at 185cm (so i am also very ligh i dropped 5kgt)

Start eating at least 2500... if you want to add mussle again. Also abs are overrated ... its like saying you have DD boobs when you weigh 100kg. Its just not attractive. Start to work on your back withh COMPOUND excersices. Train all mussle group.

The 5x5 program would be an easy start. Pullups barbell rows ... gogo stop starving yourself and get that v-shaped body
    Warrior, getting my face smashed in because I love it

"The Perfect Raid Design Drawn by me .

Deleted
    You just have to stay under you daily calorie intake.

I understand what kind of body Op desires to attain. He wants a lean but muscular shredded look and not a huge body builders physique. It took me years but I'm pretty close to that these days. Just get a good diet at 2k+ calories and make sure you get a good amount of protein. Lift free weights + calisthenics combination will help you add some muscle and make sure to top it off with cardio to get the lean shredded look.