Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by Gumdrops View Post
    Nothing is "paywalled"
    I'm looking at the app right now which is showing me the words "Go to premium to enable." And "premium" seems to have many paywalled features. *shrug*

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Foj View Post
    I'm looking at the app right now which is showing me the words "Go to premium to enable." And "premium" seems to have many paywalled features. *shrug*
    Nice deflection there from your OP which was completely untrue, I think I smell a "Nirv"

The Lightbringer
    15+ Year Old Account
    The premium update option refers to the TSM Addons Suite, not the Database. It basically lets you forget about updating the Suite but everything is always available on both TSM and Curse without noticeable delays (It might take a while for Curse to check for possible malicious code)

The things offered with TSM Premium other than automatic addon updates are:
    - Automatic Beta Access: seems logical, paying costumers first
    - IRC addon support: same as above
    - Automatic Great Deals Sync: in-game search list for Premium, on site page for free. Just QoL advantage
    - Region-Wide Deal Notifications: You can still setup your servers notifications, Premium is just region-wide
    - Settings Backup: useful only if you have multiple PC where you run TSM

The only reason I found to pay for a subcription is to thank the TSM staff for their work. It's an awesome addon and gets better day after day

The Lightbringer
    7+ Year Old Account
    Funny you're annoyed by an addon developer informing on his addon change inside the game, but you don't have a problem using an automated addon updater. Sure, having to click this message everytime while relogging toons sucked, but after my first rounds i updated manually and bam. fixed. Curse Client is more shady than TSM in my book.

Quote Originally Posted by Fabinas View Post
    Funny you're annoyed by an addon developer informing on his addon change inside the game, but you don't have a problem using an automated addon updater. Sure, having to click this message everytime while relogging toons sucked, but after my first rounds i updated manually and bam. fixed. Curse Client is more shady than TSM in my book.
    I don't think anyone would deny curse are iffy with the client to match. The issue is an alternative that saves the manual work each time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    which is kind of like saying "of COURSE you can't see the unicorns, unicorns are invisible, silly."

Quote Originally Posted by Raiju View Post
    I don't think anyone would deny curse are iffy with the client to match. The issue is an alternative that saves the manual work each time.
    TSM being hacked into a dozen or so different parts, manual updating really isn't a thing.

God bless sapu and other dudes in the team. TSM changed my wow life and made me rich.

The Lightbringer
    7+ Year Old Account
    TSM being hacked into a dozen or so different parts, manual updating really isn't a thing.
    I disagree. DeadlyBossMods, AckisRecipeList (and possibly others i don't use) also disagree. Those parts are for conevenience for you AND the developer, for finding and eliminating bugs easier, for implementing new stuff without fear of conflict with other code parts etc. Easier for developer, faster updating for you. And in this "nagware" case, you had to updates 2 modules only.

Oh, funny noone ever touched the nagware definition yet. Let's try one of the various sites that give a definition:

https://www.techopedia.com/definition/4314/nagware

"Definition - What does Nagware mean?

Nagware is a software utility that "nags" users into upgrading or buying a premium version of software by sending constant pop-up messages or notifications. Software developers use nagware as a marketing tactic to remind users to take advantage of special offers and purchase software.

Nagware is also known an begware, annoyware, nagscreen and guiltware.
    Techopedia explains Nagware

Generally part of a freeware or software utility, nagware works according to a predefined time or event set in the software. For example, after the nagware's trial edition date has passed, users are continuously reminded to buy or upgrade the software and/or license. The pop-up, or nagscreen, displays when the user opens the software or starts the system - or cyclically after a predefined period. To avoid nagware, a user must ultimately buy, upgrade or completely uninstall the software."

In this case, the pop-up or nagscreen wasn't about buying the product but UPDATING IT. The automatic update reminder wasn't part of the popup, it only resides in the desktop app itself.

inb4 fanboi: Sapu is one of the most smug, detached and annoying developers i have ever witnessed. Compare him with Cybeloras (of tellmewhen), who is always helpful, patient and actually gives solutions to end users of his product instead of making them do it themselves.
    Last edited by Fabinas; 2016-03-19 at 10:48 AM.

As of today or thereabouts the addon nags you about updating Auction_DB, and SapU is deliberately delaying updates to Curse, thereby funneling people to the $2/month "premium" service.

SapU's crotchety masterpiece is rapidly losing its allure.

This didn't go well for oQueue and although SapU seems not to give a crap about pretty much any user feedback, I hope it goes just as well for TSM. It's time for someone to rewrite that mess from the ground up anyway.
    I honestly don't understand why you feel like you are being "nagged" into paying them. I don't get any popups flashing in-game telling me to pay something.
    It just seems like you are overreacting to me.
    Last edited by Ukon; 2016-03-21 at 06:06 PM. Reason: grammar is hard

Quote Originally Posted by SoLoR1 View Post
    It seems so yeh Still not working though :P thing is... when you have ~30+ chars... and doing garrison missions and this poping up every time on each of them... kinda starts to annoy you really fast
    And why do you still need TSM when you have 30+ characters with full garrisons ? O_o

10+ Year Old Account
    I've never been nagged or bothered by TSM to donate or go premium or anything. I've been using it for years and the desktop app as well. That one day, I guess when the OP posted this, I got the same "please update your database" warning or whatever, but it sounds like that was just a delay in curse putting out their latest update. It hasn't happened since then, and it didn't try to get me to donate or pay them for anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Schmilblick View Post
    And why do you still need TSM when you have 30+ characters with full garrisons ? O_o
    Hell, I only have 5 garrisons going, but just setting up mailing rules for different chars with different professions has probably been the biggest benefit to TSM me lately. I've gotten lazy about doing much with the AH or crafting as WoD has progressed, instead just letting my passive garrison gold flow in, but I use the mail groups I set up all the time. That would be even more useful if I had an army of alts like some people on here do.