Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by meathead View Post
    as far as i remember holy pallys always had a spot in arenas and rbgs,that still the case? if so ret not being used is no big deal since your other spec is in demand,cant be bis across the board.

- - - Updated - - -

ive been playing since WotLK....RET

no wonder
    I think you miss understood Windowmaker, so let me clarify it: Paladin IS ONLY class who does not have viable DPS spec in high end arena or RBGs, and to your response "Oh holly is viable" but holly is not DPS, it is a poor design to ask DPS reroll to a totally different game play style to be viable in rated pvp.

- - - Updated - - -

To answer the Post: I PvP as Ret since Wrath (both high end RBGs/Arena), I know your pain. The best way is to get higher CR in RBGs as Ret is to form your own groups with good people, as you keep on playing add very good players to your friendlist and with time you will have your own core grp, but you have to lead your groups, that is the best way to get a higher CR in RBGs as a Ret.
    Another way is to keep playing and keep proving yourself as a great DPS, some maps like WSG, Gorge, and especially Temple good Rets have potential to have top dps and top blow kills, however this only true up to 2-2050 CR, after that Ret simply is not viable especially in WOD S2/S3 these two seasons are the worst Seasons for Ret Rated PvP since Wrath. So basically keep on playing, do you best, show other (good players) that you are worthy of the spot on the RBG team, and add them, so that you can later join/form group with them.

Currently by playing Ret you have to accept a simple truth: you can sill get Glad in Arena, but you never will get Hero this season, maybe in Legion since Blizzard is attempting to make Rets similar to DKs: low mobility/ hard hitting tanks.

Deleted
    as far as i remember holy pallys always had a spot in arenas and rbgs,that still the case? if so ret not being used is no big deal since your other spec is in demand,cant be bis across the board.
    How can you say that?! It's not the same fucking thing. Hybrid specs are like 3 classes in one. If I play ret paladin, I do so because I want to dps, I'm not gonna change into a healer because that's not what I do. Dps specs are the same thing between specs, they just use different spells.

Quote Originally Posted by Windowmaker View Post
    How can you say that?! It's not the same fucking thing. Hybrid specs are like 3 classes in one. If I play ret paladin, I do so because I want to dps, I'm not gonna change into a healer because that's not what I do. Dps specs are the same thing between specs, they just use different spells.
    Yep exactly my friend, only ppl who say "oh go Holly" are those who play a FOTM class and don't have issues getting a spot in RBGs. Some classes have 2 viable dps specs, while paladin has 0, and people who say "it is balanced, since holly is viable" are just silly say the least.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ret has great damage, but they don't have a lot of utility.

Look at another hybrid dps for example- Ele shaman. They've got so many group-friendly totems, a great knockback and a great flagspin (earthquake).
    Ret has no knockbacks, not many 'group' abilities etc.

Secondly, holy pallies are a very popular choice for healers at the moment, so you're not going to see a lot of demand for hand of protection.

Maybe the devs need to rework the ret. Otherwise, your only choice is to lead if you want results.

Quote Originally Posted by Krixooks View Post
    Ret has great damage, but they don't have a lot of utility.

Look at another hybrid dps for example- Ele shaman. They've got so many group-friendly totems, a great knockback and a great flagspin (earthquake).
    Ret has no knockbacks, not many 'group' abilities etc.

Secondly, holy pallies are a very popular choice for healers at the moment, so you're not going to see a lot of demand for hand of protection.

Maybe the devs need to rework the ret. Otherwise, your only choice is to lead if you want results.
    Ret Only has a great burst, thats it, our sustain is crap, our aoe is crap, our defensive CDs are crap, we are easy to cc, our utility is decent but why ppl bring us for utility if they can get Enh over us + hpal for heals. Enh on other hand has a range kick,high burst, amazing sustain, amazing aoe dmg, very high survival capabilities, very strong heals (even post nerf), Enh is much harder to cc.
    Take Arena for example, most teams just train Ret to the death, with rare exceptions for RMD where they cc ret/Healer and rape hunter, if hunter survives they can always swap ret and kill him just as easy since healer most likely won't have any CDs left.

Quote Originally Posted by Astynax View Post
    Retired my ret mid Season 2. Just too much of a handicap on the team when you're taking up 1 slot in 7 for DPS. Ret has no role and just basic damage, average damage at best.

Cant FC, rogues, tanks, druids, DK can while rets are squishy and slow
    Cant hold nodes, pet classes can
    Cant run carts, no real speed boost to move it quick
    Cant ninja nodes, no stealth
    Cant pressure healers, no MS effect and just 1 stun that's dispellable
    Their utility - mainly hand of prot. Whoopdedoo. Hpal got that covered already and if no Hpal I'd rather run without this minor utility than take a ret

Every RBG we see with a ret is like playing with half a man down. Pops wings then you CC him, otherwise just ignore.

A. This is about PvP. Not your place for "QQ I cant get into raiding"
    B. PvE ret is fine so it's probably you
    C. Claiming to be Mythic geared doesn't mean Mythic dungeons + LFR peices
    A) I was using that as a general comparison of what peoples mentality is, if I wanted to "QQ" about getting into raids, I'd find one of the thousand of posts made with the above statement
    B) I don't play a ret, I haven't played a paladin since TBC
    C) Weird thing to point out since you opened with A. But fine mythic dungeon geared, point is I still outscale the loot from normal.

Honestly, just because someone makes a personal reference you don't need to jump in bashing, I was merely stating people want higher than needed stats / achievements / gear / w/e to get into stuff,

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Dukenukemx View Post
    I gave up on PVP due to the Ret stigma. Give it up, and wait until Legion. Maybe the 4th expansion with RBGs we'll see if Blizzard gets it right.

This is because Blizzard introduced AOTC achievement which the community uses to weed out all the inexperienced players. Which is just wrong to the point where I end up telling people off when they ask me to link AOTC. I did get it, but as Holy not as Ret. Once I have it, people started to invite.
    I haven't been online much in the few months, AOTC?

What are your thoughts on the 2 or 3 talents that increase movement speed by 20%?

I feel you, OP.

I'm not just a warlock, I'm a destruction warlock, and I enjoy PvP more than PvE. That lead me down the path of RBGs (never found arena that fun, honestly) and even with a guild (before it died, they all die), there was pressure to play affliction. With randoms? A nightmare.

"Just spec affliction then omg!" I don't find the spec appealing, like at all. Oh wow, topping damage. I don't give a shit, honestly, when I find throwing Chaos Bolts around to be that much more entertaining.

What did I choose?

My options were to either be affliction in a rated environment or to play destro in an unrated environment (bgs, Ashran). I chose the latter, and while I do miss RBGs, it's more important for me to have fun

Quote Originally Posted by Rotted View Post
    A) I was using that as a general comparison of what peoples mentality is, if I wanted to "QQ" about getting into raids, I'd find one of the thousand of posts made with the above statement
    B) I don't play a ret, I haven't played a paladin since TBC
    C) Weird thing to point out since you opened with A. But fine mythic dungeon geared, point is I still outscale the loot from normal.

Honestly, just because someone makes a personal reference you don't need to jump in bashing, I was merely stating people want higher than needed stats / achievements / gear / w/e to get into stuff,

- - - Updated - - -

I haven't been online much in the few months, AOTC?
    So you're in here just to throw a generic whine and cry despite not having played the spec the OP is talking about, haven't done anything in the game the last while, don't know what AOTC is even though it existed for many xpacs, and drag this topic into PvE which isn't what it's about just to be one of those bnet general forum criers against "elitists". Got it

Unless you got full max 725 warforged M dungeon gear in every slot that would compensate for the hunge tier bonuses and trinkets, you can still use stuff in normal. Just because you have 710 average ilvl, chances are not every single slot is 710+ where you can still use stuff from normal. My alt lock is 708 with pvp gear. Does that mean normal raids are totally useless then?
    Last edited by Astynax; 2016-03-16 at 03:08 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Snegovik View Post
    I think you miss understood Windowmaker, so let me clarify it: Paladin IS ONLY class who does not have viable DPS spec in high end arena or RBGs, and to your response "Oh holly is viable" but holly is not DPS, it is a poor design to ask DPS reroll to a totally different game play style to be viable in rated pvp.

- - - Updated - - -

To answer the Post: I PvP as Ret since Wrath (both high end RBGs/Arena), I know your pain. The best way is to get higher CR in RBGs as Ret is to form your own groups with good people, as you keep on playing add very good players to your friendlist and with time you will have your own core grp, but you have to lead your groups, that is the best way to get a higher CR in RBGs as a Ret.
    Another way is to keep playing and keep proving yourself as a great DPS, some maps like WSG, Gorge, and especially Temple good Rets have potential to have top dps and top blow kills, however this only true up to 2-2050 CR, after that Ret simply is not viable especially in WOD S2/S3 these two seasons are the worst Seasons for Ret Rated PvP since Wrath. So basically keep on playing, do you best, show other (good players) that you are worthy of the spot on the RBG team, and add them, so that you can later join/form group with them.

Currently by playing Ret you have to accept a simple truth: you can sill get Glad in Arena, but you never will get Hero this season, maybe in Legion since Blizzard is attempting to make Rets similar to DKs: low mobility/ hard hitting tanks.
    Paladin IS ONLY class who does not have viable DPS spec in high end arena or RBGs

Currently by playing Ret you have to accept a simple truth: you can sill get Glad in Arena

hmmm glad in arena is high end area correct?swing and miss much?

again your missed my point holy pallys are great in pvp dont cry about not having the best dps spec in pvp as well.thats the type of thing that has killed wows pvp,spec liek rets that could heal/off heal,stun,bubble and do more damage and burst then classes like warriors.whats that = rets in wrath aka one man armies.

are arms warriors in high demand in rbgs?i had to tank 99% of the time if i wanted a spot,you want a spot then go heals.

so i guess they should make a warrior healing soul right?its only fair because warrior cant heal in rbgs and why should they have to re roll to do so.

i mained a warrior but you never heard my bitching and crying about arms getting blown away by fury in pve.why?because arms was made as a pvp spec.

funny thing is op'ed said hes been playing ret since wrath "lmfao" yet cant heal,so he must be a good tank then right?no one only has 1 spec any more.what rating are we talking about here,1600?that tells you just about everything.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Knolan View Post
    https://youtu.be/74fmTBRTnDg

https://youtu.be/xHdERGclEfg

one up you
    Last edited by meathead; 2016-03-16 at 03:26 PM.

[B][U]
    are arms warriors in high demand in rbgs? i had to tank 99% of the time if i wanted a spot,you want a spot then go heals.

so i guess they should make a warrior healing soul right?its only fair because warrior cant heal in rbgs and why should they have to re roll to do so.

i mained a warrior but you never heard my bitching and crying about arms getting blown away by fury in pve.why?because arms was made as a pvp spec.

funny thing is op'ed said hes been playing ret since wrath "lmfao" yet cant heal,so he must be a good tank then right?no one only has 1 spec any more.what rating are we talking about here,1600?that tells you just about everything.

- - - Updated - - -

one up you
    What kind of retard RBGs are you in that wants you to go tank if you're playing warrior?! Arms is still great in RBGs for their execute, especially in dot/cleave comps which rots everyone low for the warrior to run around and just execute. Prot is totally useless

You mained a warrior and think arms is just for PvE?? Arms is the top pick if not on par with fury for 10/13 HFC encounters this tier.

Quote Originally Posted by Faenskap View Post
    I feel you, OP.

I'm not just a warlock, I'm a destruction warlock, and I enjoy PvP more than PvE. That lead me down the path of RBGs (never found arena that fun, honestly) and even with a guild (before it died, they all die), there was pressure to play affliction. With randoms? A nightmare.

"Just spec affliction then omg!" I don't find the spec appealing, like at all. Oh wow, topping damage. I don't give a shit, honestly, when I find throwing Chaos Bolts around to be that much more entertaining.

What did I choose?

My options were to either be affliction in a rated environment or to play destro in an unrated environment (bgs, Ashran). I chose the latter, and while I do miss RBGs, it's more important for me to have fun
    Destro is actually very good in RBGs. I have seen groups run affliction + destro, but the unstable affliction is too important atm.

So you're in here just to throw a generic whine and cry despite not having played the spec the OP is talking about, haven't done anything in the game the last while, don't know what AOTC is even though it existed for many xpacs, and drag this topic into PvE which isn't what it's about just to be one of those bnet general forum criers against "elitists". Got it

Unless you got full max 725 warforged M dungeon gear in every slot that would compensate for the hunge tier bonuses and trinkets, you can still use stuff in normal. Just because you have 710 average ilvl, chances are not every single slot is 710+ where you can still use stuff from normal. My alt lock is 708 with pvp gear. Does that mean normal raids are totally useless then?
    Erm, your missing the point I'm highlighting, that people want higher than needed requirement for groups, and that happens in PvP and / or PVE.

I'm not throwing a whine, again I'm sharing my personal exp, I could of easily just have turned around and used practically any mmo I've tried tbh.

I'm still not sure what playing the spec has to do with my initial point of the above (The very first line I just wrote, the needing requirement bit)

I've just goggled AOTC, for the record I've not met anyone else who calls it AOTC not curve but hey each to his own I suppose.

Again, I'm not really dragging this topic into PvE I just made a small comparison about peoples mentality, (which is true) (Dejavu too)

And granted, I do often bitch about most elitests, I can pretty much count on one hand how many elitist I know over 11 years of play time who haven't got a piss poor attitude (That's who I know from ingame, not heard of)

As you know, no I'm not full dungeon warforged, (although please keep account here, this isn't me now "dragging pve into the topic") but I did state at some point in this thread to your other reply the gear I have is my top stat requirement, granted I might have missed a couple of pieces, maybe misjudged a secondary stat over another but /shrugs I'm happy with the work I put in.

Just out of interest while I mentioned piss poor attitudes, Is there a reason you seem to have taken a special interest bashing on me, being sarcastic etc.? or is your thumb your arse all the time?

10+ Year Old Account
    What kind of retard RBGs are you in that wants you to go tank if you're playing warrior?! Arms is still great in RBGs for their execute, especially in dot/cleave comps which rots everyone low for the warrior to run around and just execute. Prot is totally useless

You mained a warrior and think arms is just for PvE?? Arms is the top pick if not on par with fury for 10/13 HFC encounters this tier.
    wtf are you talking about?go back an re read what i said.when i played wow tanks were the fc'ers and i was part of an alt group up 2300+ main group was 2500+,not so retarded right?that is unless you have no clue and your new to wow.

You mained a warrior and think arms is just for PvE??

again wtf are you talking about?i never said that.fury has been the pve spec for warriors "top dps spec" in almost every season/tier since mid vanilla.that means arms takes a back seat to fury in pve,yet warrior dont cry about that.so if ret take a back seat to holy in rbgs stop crying and l2p.

its funny how you skip right over the poster i replied to comment that contradicted himself about ret and went straight for me,lmfao.

Quote Originally Posted by Kretan View Post
    Destro is actually very good in RBGs. I have seen groups run affliction + destro, but the unstable affliction is too important atm.
    It has occured to me that destro is more popular in US than EU, where I play, which is sad. When I play destro, I feel I give 110 %. Affliction? Not so much it's just not intesting to me, and when something isn't interesting, I cant do it

wtf are you talking about?go back an re read what i said.when i played wow tanks were the fc'ers and i was part of an alt group up 2300+ main group was 2500+,not so retarded right?that is unless you have no clue and your new to wow.

again wtf are you talking about?i never said that.fury has been the pve spec for warriors "top dps spec" in almost every season/tier since mid vanilla.that means arms takes a back seat to fury in pve,yet warrior dont cry about that.so if ret take a back seat to holy in rbgs stop crying and l2p.

its funny how you skip right over the poster i replied to comment that contradicted himself about ret and went straight for me,lmfao.
    just to correct you on several points you tried to make...

1. the thread is about right now in WoD...nobody in RBGs uses tanks as FC's anymore
    2. the thread is also about PvP, not PvE...nobody is concerned with why/how arms takes a backseat to fury in PvE

You are still missing the entire point....A paladin's only dps spec is retribution, if a paladin wants to deal damage but retribution is nonviable...there is no other dps spec to learn. Yes, the paladin can respec to holy, but that means more conquest gear farming because RET and Holy do not use the same gear. And going from RET to HOLY is totally different than going from arms to fury. If a warrior's arms spec is nonviable then they can just go fury and i guarantee you at least one will be viable at all times.

- - - Updated - - -

Paladin IS ONLY class who does not have viable DPS spec in high end arena or RBGs

Currently by playing Ret you have to accept a simple truth: you can sill get Glad in Arena

again your missed my point holy pallys are great in pvp dont cry about not having the best dps spec in pvp as well.thats the type of thing that has killed wows pvp,spec liek rets that could heal/off heal,stun,bubble and do more damage and burst then classes like warriors.whats that = rets in wrath aka one man armies.

are arms warriors in high demand in rbgs?i had to tank 99% of the time if i wanted a spot,you want a spot then go heals.

- - - Updated - - -

one up you
    Paladins only have 1 DPS spec

- - - Updated - - -

one up you
    First of all this a PvP post, so not sure why you bring up your "PVE" xp as warrior lmao?
    Any hows, here is a PvP response to your PVE post
    1) Ret is NOT viable at High end RBGs at all. Ret is NOT viable at high end Arena (for me Glad is NOT a high end arena), blizzcon is a high end arena, Paladin is only DPS class that never got above quarter finals at blizzcon.
    2) I am not crying, i am stating that you are wrong telling other guy roll Holly to be viable at rated pvp when he wants/enjoys playing a DPS roll, this is not PVE, you do not need to stack classes to get Glad.
    3) Did you check RBG ladder representation above 2k cr? Arms is MUCH higher numbers than Rets, same goes for arena above 2.6k cr.
    4) Yes I did play Ret since wrath, how does that has to do with anything about me playing Holy or Prot spec?
    Rating wise in the earlier post i said Ret has potential to be best DPS up to 2k cr in RBGs after that Ret is not really viable (since it is topic about RBGs not arena)

- - - Updated - - -

He clearly talking about Cata RBGs, since no logical RBG team will ask war to go FC over Rogue. I agree with you that Arms is in a very decent spot in RBGs atm, that guy most likely does not possess the skill to play Arms at decent CR, thats why pugs ask him go prot? for FCing? who knows?

- - - Updated - - -

Lol 2.5k cr grp as prot war THIS xpac? I highly doubt that, do you play on a private server lol?

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    No, he was probably 2.5k in s12 when you queued into 3k russians that played like 1500.

Quote Originally Posted by Krassz1096 View Post
    No, he was probably 2.5k in s12 when you queued into 3k russians that played like 1500.
    Also dont forget about how some players back then had a bug so that they did not lose points when lost games, few of my mates hit 3115 or w/e simply because they grinded games and they lost close to 40-50% of those games (thats how u could face a 1.7k xp players at 2.9kcr)