Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Partysaurus Rex View Post
    Side note I'm getting this tattooed on my back.
    [IMGzamimg.com/uploads/screenshots/normal/501317.jpg[/IMG]
    Even if people dont know what it's from, it is a beautiful peice of art, that many might even take as something that could be part of our own IRL mythos.
    It was never Hardcore Vs Casual. It was Socialites Vs. Solo players
    Quote Originally Posted by ringpriest View Post
    World of Warcraft started life as a Computer Roleplaying Game, where part of the fun of the game experience was pretending to be your character. Stuff like applying poisons and eating food enhanced the verisimilitude of the experience of playing a fantasy character in another world. Now that game has changed to become a tactical arcade lobby game.

Yes, the art work is goddamn amazing.

I'd buy every single piece of artwork as a print and frame it as a poster.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jester Joe View Post
    "Nefarian and his warped attempts to create a new breed of dragon were thought to be defeated after his death in Blackwing Lair. Yet tales have emerged that his father, Deathwing, has reanimated Nefarian and set him to work in Blackwing Descent. The gruesome experiments being conducted there are feared to be on a level of wickedness far surpassing Nefarian's previous crimes against nature."

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/zone/blackwing-descent/
    And that load of crap is a good enough explanation to you?! Nowhere else is Deathwing or any of his followers represented as powerful necromancers! if he could so trivially bring back Nefarian, why didn't he do that to Sartharion? Or Halion? Or Onyxia herself, so she would be more than just a mindless puppet? There were a buncha other black dragons and twillight cultists that could benefit from that, but since they wouldn't be quite as entertaining as raid bosses they were ignored. This is literally as strong an explanation as "a wizard did it"!

Quote Originally Posted by Galbrei View Post
    And that load of crap is a good enough explanation to you?! Nowhere else is Deathwing or any of his followers represented as powerful necromancers! if he could so trivially bring back Nefarian, why didn't he do that to Sartharion? Or Halion? Or Onyxia herself, so she would be more than just a mindless puppet? There were a buncha other black dragons and twillight cultists that could benefit from that, but since they wouldn't be quite as entertaining as raid bosses they were ignored. This is literally as strong an explanation as "a wizard did it"!
    If Nefarian could bring back Onyxia as a mindless robot, why can't Deathwing, who's even stronger than him, do better?

And maybe he didn't have time, and Onyxia kinda let him down twice already, so he left her to Nef to handle. Mind you, Deathwing did discover how to make the twilight drakes, so he has to have some power that wasn't covered. Either way, lack of explanation doesn't mean it's impossible.

Quote Originally Posted by KrazyK923 View Post
    I find it pretty stupid.

They've homogenized literally all of the lore into either "Titans, Old Gods/Void Lords (lol void lords, what a crock of shit) or Legion." Everything from the Naaru to Ancients to Dragons to Tauren to Val'kyr. Every fucking thing is because of the Titans. Literally all of it.

Except for Elune. They don't explain Elune at all.

THEY DON'T EXPLAIN ELUNE IN THE THING THAT IS SUPPOSED TO EXPLAIN EVERYTHING.

It's fucking asinine. And people are circlejerking over how good it is just because they fill in the holes for a lot of stuff. That doesn't mean the stuff they filled the holes in with is automatically good. It's not.

I also DESPISE the idea that Sargeras isn't the ultimate big bad and that the "Void Lords" are a thing. And even worse yet that retcon Sargeras into some kind of anti-hero who thinks destroying the universe is better than letting the Void Lords corrupt world-souls rather than Sargeras just having gone mad and believing true order is chaos.

There are some really interesting minor things that I liked, but just like with WoD, the overarching story is just stupid.
    Why did Sargeras have to be the big bad? We knew absolutely NOTHING about Sargeras except a few excerpts from the RPG and in name only. There was never official artwork of him until very recently.

If I had to guess, based on lore so far, Elune is probably a Watcher like Ra in charge of the spirit element of Azeroth. Her connection to the Dream and the Dream being the manifestation of the baby Titan's spirit and all that.
    Last edited by Al Gorefiend; 2016-03-17 at 04:12 AM.

Why did Sargeras have to be the big bad?
    Because we were told this for over a decade by both the lore and even Blizzard (and Metzen) themselves. There was nothing beyond the Burning Legion. Even the Titans were suggested to pale in comparison to Sargeras and the Burning Legion.

If I had to guess, based on lore so far, Elune is probably a Watcher in charge of the spirit element of Azeroth.
    Here's the thing. That's speculation. And I actually agree with you. But that's still speculation. They didn't clarify what Elune was in the thing they put out as the historical encyclopedia of the franchise.
    Last edited by KrazyK923; 2016-03-17 at 04:13 AM.

Because we were told this for over a decade by both the lore and even Blizzard (and Metzen) themselves. There was nothing beyond the Burning Legion. Even the Titans were suggesting to pale in comparison to Sargeras and the Burning Legion.

Here's the thing. That's speculation. And I actually agree with you. But that's still speculation. They didn't clarify what Elune was in the thing they put out as the historical encyclopedia of the franchise.
    I mean I was kinda bummed out that the Titans were dead and the book crushed a lot of my "What I want to see someday" wishes, but I'll embrace the change if Blizzard is trying to flesh out everything from step one. After decades of material spanning non-canon RPG, video games, comics, mangas, online short stories they probably just needed to step back and get their ducks in a row. Marvel is doing exactly this with All-New, All-Different so I'm not really a stranger to fantasy writers slapping you in the face and telling you to forget everything you've known thus far.

I'm more upset that Blizzard fucked their own lore so badly they had to get together and have a pow-wow to determine what the fuck is going on... then release it for forty bucks.

Though to be fair, that artwork would be worth the price alone.
    "It's 2013 and I still view the internet on a 560x192 resolution monitor!"

Quote Originally Posted by NoiseTank13 View Post
    I'm more upset that Blizzard fucked their own lore so badly they had to get together and have a pow-wow to determine what the fuck is going on... then release it for forty bucks.

Though to be fair, that artwork would be worth the price alone.
    6000th POST

You know the phrase "too many cooks in the kitchen"? When you have so many people all trying to add in their own thoughts and opinions over the course of TWO DECADES you end up with so much catastrophe. I'm glad they're doing this. This needs to set the concrete foundation for all future lore that is absolutely irrefutable, unchangeable, cannot be argued with or altered by future writers. It is the Warcraft book of Genesis. My only hope now is that it becomes required reading for anyone who dare dabble in Warcraft lore at Blizzard HQ. We didn't have a foundation before!

Lemme guess, it touched up on some things in a way that wasn't how you imagined it.

Herald of the Titans SoulSoBreezy's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by hazol View Post
    Since I am a special snowflake I got World of Warcraft: Chronicle Volume 1 early and let me tell you, its bad. all of the lore is messed up that has no sense. get a refund before its too late. Just warning you guys
    I spam my videos enough so I won't do it here, but I'll safely say that I posted a shitty unboxing for the Chronicle on Monday. Then finished it that night. Super short read.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, the OP didn't really know how to make a bad review to compell people. I will be buying a copy one day, just not sure what kind.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Quote Originally Posted by Raiju View Post
    Azeroth has always been special due to the well of eternity, you just weren't paying attention.
    No it wasn't. We had no idea what other planets were like. Maybe other planets had 5 wells of eternity (or something vastly superior) and we just had 1. We had no frame of reference.

But NOW it is different. NOW Azeroth is arguably the most important planet in existence. After Chronicles, Azeroth is TRULY special.

- - - Updated - - -

I find it pretty stupid.

They've homogenized literally all of the lore into either "Titans, Old Gods/Void Lords (lol void lords, what a crock of shit) or Legion." Everything from the Naaru to Ancients to Dragons to Tauren to Val'kyr. Every fucking thing is because of the Titans. Literally all of it.

Except for Elune. They don't explain Elune at all.

THEY DON'T EXPLAIN ELUNE IN THE THING THAT IS SUPPOSED TO EXPLAIN EVERYTHING.

It's fucking asinine. And people are circlejerking over how good it is just because they fill in the holes for a lot of stuff. That doesn't mean the stuff they filled the holes in with is automatically good. It's not.

I also DESPISE the idea that Sargeras isn't the ultimate big bad and that the "Void Lords" are a thing. And even worse yet that retcon Sargeras into some kind of anti-hero who thinks destroying the universe is better than letting the Void Lords corrupt world-souls rather than Sargeras just having gone mad and believing true order is chaos.

There are some really interesting minor things that I liked, but just like with WoD, the overarching story is just stupid.
    Elune is the moon goddess but most likely is the moon itself, or the moon soul as it were.
    TO FIX WOW:1. smaller server sizes & server-only LFG awarding satchels, so elite players help others. 2. "helper builds" with loom powers - talent trees so elite players cast buffs on low level players XP gain, HP/mana, regen, damage, etc. 3. "helper ilvl" scoring how much you help others. 4. observer games like in SC to watch/chat (like twitch but with MORE DETAILS & inside the wow UI) 5. guild leagues to compete with rival guilds for progression (with observer mode).6. jackpot world mobs.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Partysaurus Rex View Post
    Side note I'm getting this tattooed on my back.
    I hope for you that the lore won't get a lot of retcons then...

Quote Originally Posted by hazol View Post
    Since I am a special snowflake I got World of Warcraft: Chronicle Volume 1 early and let me tell you, its bad. all of the lore is messed up that has no sense. get a refund before its too late. Just warning you guys
    Is there anything you people won't bitch and whine about?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kokolums View Post
    The part where Azeroth is suddenly "special" is very poor writing because it destroys perhaps the heart of the appeal of the narrative.

The core of the story is that there is this immense and powerful army called the Burning Legion, and we are just some random adventurers on some random planet and from sheer will and training, we are able to defy them and beat them back. Its a classic underdog tale. We are insignificant. There is nothing special about us or our place in the universe. But we have the resolve to win. That is rather the heart of the appeal of every raid encounter and our entire journey.

But that narrative has been destroyed now. Azeroth is special. That means we truly have not been giving amazing effort nor incredible resolve to overcome things. We are getting carried by a magical VERY special planet that was actually giving us an unfair advantage all along. There are surely countless annihilated worlds that would be jealous of our silver spoon. Our story is wrecked. Now we are like that scrub in blues getting invited to the main raid by a top guild and killing the last boss. We didn't really earn this. We were just born on the correct planet.

Warcraft Chronicles is a disaster for the lore.
    The concept that there is something special about Azeroth was established lore years before this book was compiled and released. This is a good example of how most of the people who whine about lore are simply looking for something to bitch about and have no actual interest in lore or discussing it.

Yeah while I'm not exactly down with the idea of "titans being world souls" and that Azeroth has "the most powerful one," Azeroth has always been presented as special for SOME reason.

For a long time one of the most popular theories was that it was because they stopped the Legion twice and/or because that is where the Army of the Light would ultimately be created.

But I guess it's because our planet has a special soul that is powerful. With that revelation I'm pretty confident we'll somehow complete or awaken Azeroth with the Pillars of Creation (or some other kind of macguffin) and it will help us stop the Legion permanently.

Maybe with Illidan's new plan we find out in the new novel of using the Sargerai Keystone of going to Argus and perma-killing KJ and Arch there.
    Last edited by KrazyK923; 2016-03-17 at 05:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Justpassing View Post
    People are pissed the book ruined many of their headcanon bullshit. That's about it.
    Ironically my group's headcannon was almost all confirmed. Funny how that works.

Quote Originally Posted by Kokolums View Post
    The part where Azeroth is suddenly "special" is very poor writing because it destroys perhaps the heart of the appeal of the narrative.

The core of the story is that there is this immense and powerful army called the Burning Legion, and we are just some random adventurers on some random planet and from sheer will and training, we are able to defy them and beat them back. Its a classic underdog tale. We are insignificant. There is nothing special about us or our place in the universe. But we have the resolve to win. That is rather the heart of the appeal of every raid encounter and our entire journey.

But that narrative has been destroyed now. Azeroth is special. That means we truly have not been giving amazing effort nor incredible resolve to overcome things. We are getting carried by a magical VERY special planet that was actually giving us an unfair advantage all along. There are surely countless annihilated worlds that would be jealous of our silver spoon. Our story is wrecked. Now we are like that scrub in blues getting invited to the main raid by a top guild and killing the last boss. We didn't really earn this. We were just born on the correct planet.

Warcraft Chronicles is a disaster for the lore.
    Go read the book they explain as to why Azeroth is the special snowflake we adventure in... but since I know you wont, here is the spoiler.

Azeroth contains a world-soul which births a titan, the pantheon saw within azeroths world-soul the path to defeating the void lords hence bringing about order. But mr sargeras wants to take it out because his afraid the old gods will achieve their goal of corrupting the world-soul creating a dark titan. oh yeah, the old gods work for the void lords.
    Last edited by dess; 2016-03-17 at 06:05 AM.

Read the posted excerpts / translations.

It's a lot of pompous crap with tons of cliches and repeating plots. Everything is "great" and "eternal", every new guy is more powerful than the ones before, etc. There are plenty of retcons, too, although that'd have been tolerable if the entire thing wasn't so idiotically pompous and stupid.

If WoW was a series of books, I wouldn't have read anything after chapter 1, the only reason I am even slightly interested is that I played the game for years. Certainly not going to buy any of the volumes and any other printed materials, it's a waste of money and a waste of time in terms of reading.
    Last edited by rda; 2016-03-17 at 06:56 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nah, its mostly good. One or two things I didn't like, and I wished they talked more about demons, but a lot of fascinating stuff. Looking forwards to seeing the results of a lot of the events discussed in Legion. Hopefully we'll get more demon stuff in Volume 2.