Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by I Push Buttons View Post
    Anyone can start a bank. All you need is the proper regulatory licensing and paperwork and people willing to give you their money to manage...

It doesn't need to be a multinational with trillions in assets to be a "bank."
    It does in the UK.

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/davi...b_1664967.html
    I thought my solution, of opening up a tiny little bank that I backed with my own money and aimed to help the local area, was a good one that people would get behind. I thought that with a mix of hard work, and a bucket full of common sense and some support from the community, we could make it successful. Unlike any other banker, I wasn't expecting any bonuses from my customers. In fact, I planned to donate every penny of profit to charity.

However, to start a bank I would need a licence from the Financial Services Authority. In fact, without that licence I couldn't even legally use the word bank or take deposits.

The problem was that the FSA wouldn't even meet with me to discuss giving me a banking licence unless I put millions of pounds in to a protected account that I could never use. The trouble with that is that by demanding so much they made opening a small community bank almost impossible! The regulations were geared around the huge high street banks and we know how badly they failed! How could I do any worse than that lot?

good for her

10+ Year Old Account
    Cool, a prodigy. Hope she doesn't burn out =(

I saw she was ethnic Nigerian. Nigerians do really well in the US too.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Garnier Fructis View Post
    I think her (relatively) long term goals are unrealistic, but it's always cool to find a kid that likes math and is good at it.
    What an asshole.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think it's amazing, but perhaps an academic math career would be more her thing? No real-world application outside of numbers theory is really going to be very interesting to someone with that kind of innate understanding. However, the brain activity that enables child prodigies to accomplish such amazing feats does not necessarily persist in adulthood; she may simply be getting a very significant head-start.
    Last edited by Ratyrel; 2016-03-17 at 03:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Partysaurus Rex View Post
    What an asshole.
    Like what the hell people, what part of having a bank by the age of 15 is realistic, for any sort of bank that is more than just managing your parent's and friends' money?
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    There are no 2 species that are 100% identical.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redditor
    can you leftist twits just fucking admit that quantum mechanics has fuck all to do with thermodynamics, that shit is just a pose?

Deleted
    Like what the hell people, what part of having a bank by the age of 15 is realistic, for any sort of bank that is more than just managing your parent's and friends' money?
    How does learning maths link to owning a bank?

Quote Originally Posted by hazol View Post
    How does learning maths link to owning a bank?
    It's in the article.
    can you leftist twits just fucking admit that quantum mechanics has fuck all to do with thermodynamics, that shit is just a pose?

10+ Year Old Account
    I suppose not at all for most people.

Then again most people don't have their PhD in math until they are in their 20s at the earliest.

So obviously, OBVIOUSLY we are dealing with a special case, so since there is no precedence your claim is baseless.

Lets take the fact that she is extraordinary out of the equation. Do you shit on all kid's dreams?

"Daddy, I wanna be a model when I grow up."

"Honey look at your mom, she is short and has trouble with belly fat. Genes are working against you, I just don't see you ever being a model as realistic."

You're a dick plain and simple, don't try to justify it. Either apologize, or accept that you sound like a douche. Own it breh!

I still don't get why its called "Maths" overseas from the US.

But seriously the education system in most countries contributes to the snails pace that kids move through Math, which seriously should be a high priority for most people. While her accomplishment is great, you'd be surprised how quickly most children could be learning college algebra and calculus if they weren't held back by keeping them in pace with the weakest of their peers.

I suppose not at all for most people.

Then again most people don't have their PhD in math until they are in their 20s at the earliest.
    She plans to have her PHD by the age of 13. She's entering college at 10. So she needs to knock out around 8-9 years worth of study and research in just 3 years worth of time. And she would be much better served by getting a PHD from a prestigious, strong program in math, where the quality of research and strength of faculty is higher. But this would require applying to different institutions, and that means that the amount of time to do Masters and PHD level work is condensed into a period of now 2 years, and all the 3-4 years preparatory and general ed requirements are now to be completed in 1 year.

She also has to raise millions to get started with a bank.

Your supermodel comparison is horseshit. A better comparison would be: "Daddy, I want to be a model next week." "Honey, that's unrealistic."

I wish her the best of luck. But I've seen people get screwed by having unrealistic expectations, and it's heart breaking. I just don't like seeing that. You just think I want to be an asshole.

10+ Year Old Account
    That entire first paragraph is just a trigger for feminists lol.

Man, that's awesome. More power to her! It's always nice seeing kids going above and beyond like that. I completely and totally fail at math lol, but I really hope it takes her places.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warwithin View Post
    Politicians put their hand on the BIBLE and swore to uphold the CONSTITUTION. They did not put their hand on the CONSTITUTION and swear to uphold the BIBLE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Except maybe Morgan Freeman. That man could convince God to be an atheist with that voice of his . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by LiiLoSNK View Post
    If your girlfriend is a girl and you're a guy, your kid is destined to be some sort of half girl/half guy abomination.

10+ Year Old Account
    She plans to have her PHD by the age of 13. She's entering college at 10. So she needs to knock out around 8-9 years worth of study and research in just 3 years worth of time. And she would be much better served by getting a PHD from a prestigious, strong program in math, where the quality of research and strength of faculty is higher. But this would require applying to different institutions, and that means that the amount of time to do Masters and PHD level work is condensed into a period of now 2 years, and all the 3-4 years preparatory and general ed requirements are now to be completed in 1 year.

She also has to raise millions to get started with a bank.

Your supermodel comparison is horseshit. A better comparison would be: "Daddy, I want to be a model next week." "Honey, that's unrealistic."

I wish her the best of luck. But I've seen people get screwed by having unrealistic expectations, and it's heart breaking. I just don't like seeing that. You just think I want to be an asshole.
    Sigh... the more you talk the worse it gets.

Don't have kids...

Congrats to her! Hopefully she gets far.

Quote Originally Posted by Foo Foo Cuddlypoops View Post
    Grats but frozen triggers me.

- - - Updated - - -

Please calm down, you're not adding anything constructive. You have also been reported.

Hey learning about the patriarch is never a waste. You cis male scum, fucking global terrorist.

Quote Originally Posted by Foo Foo Cuddlypoops View Post
    Hey learning about the patriarch is never a waste. You cis male scum, fucking global terrorist.
    Brb killing myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Hiricine View Post
    I still don't get why its called "Maths" overseas from the US.

But seriously the education system in most countries contributes to the snails pace that kids move through Math, which seriously should be a high priority for most people. While her accomplishment is great, you'd be surprised how quickly most children could be learning college algebra and calculus if they weren't held back by keeping them in pace with the weakest of their peers.
    That's what I wanted to say.
    Shahaad , Kevkul
    <Magdalena's pet>

Sigh... the more you talk the worse it gets.

Don't have kids...
    Do you have an allergy to thinking? The closest thing to a coherent thought you've uttered so far is 'we have no precedent so your claim is baseless.' Except not, because we don't live in a world where anything can be achieved with enough brainpower.

10+ Year Old Account
    Do you have an allergy to thinking? The closest thing to a coherent thought you've uttered so far is 'we have no precedent so your claim is baseless.' Except not, because we don't live in a world where anything can be achieved with enough brainpower.

Your anthem! Its hilarious to me that you still feel like you need to justify it. Some people are just assholes... like I said not big deal. Own it, don't try to convince us you aren't though.

Your anthem! Its hilarious to me that you still feel like you need to justify it. Some people are just assholes... like I said not big deal. Own it, don't try to convince us you aren't though.
    Whatever, I'm done with you. You obviously don't want to have any real discussion because that would, god forbid, make you actually think.