Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    in game wow chat was a thing and it was pretty god awful. I mean it worked but, it had no functionality besides working.

Quote Originally Posted by sweatshopkids View Post
    They keep trying to implement things to their products that others have done way better than them in the past. I'll keep using Ventrilo, Mumble and Skype.
    I welcome this. I'm tired of having vent, mumble, teamspeak, razer comms, Axon, and Curse for VoIP for different pugs. It's annoying, frustrating and a burden for 1 game to need 100 different programs. I have Battle.net on my computer, Every player that plays wow has it on their computer. Why not give us an option to use the same VoIP without downloading extra shit.

I didn'T really get it but that means can I speak to my friends who are playing other blizzard games? like I hang in d3 and some others play hearthstone so can we talk? without the use of teamspeak or ventrilo etc?

Discord is basically the best at the moment.

10+ Year Old Account
    I lol'd

tied to battlenet rather than any game, unlike the prev wow iteration, i look forward to testing it and implementing it.

Quote Originally Posted by Gref View Post
    I didn'T really get it but that means can I speak to my friends who are playing other blizzard games? like I hang in d3 and some others play hearthstone so can we talk? without the use of teamspeak or ventrilo etc?
    Looking at the first post it would seem you use it from the client which in turns means you can use it for anything including non-blizz games as long as you're running the battle.net client.

Can't say for sure though considering Overwatch has it built into the game and all.

Quote Originally Posted by Viridiancity View Post
    IIRC they're working with a third party voip company for this kind of thing now, though. They put the voice chat in Overwatch, and that actually works surprisingly well.
    Yep! Blizzard did announce with Overwatch they'd be incorporating their own VOIP -and I'm glad you agree it works well.

I think it's a boon for all gamers to have Blizzard instigate VOIP for their Battle net games, if done right of course. The good news is, at least for WoW, is that we've seen Premades become successful... so hopefully VOIP will help (1) continue drawing in people for PUGs and (2) help build community / opportunities to make friends.

Personally, I always enjoy TS nights, and I think hosting PUGs will be a lot better (gameplay. mechanics) and friendlier => it doesn't matter if my PUGs turn on their mics or not, [mic] opt in is just fine for most RLs / PUG leaders.

Anyway, gg.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Playintrafic View Post
    Yeah it would have been a good idea way back when. But people are so used to using mumble, vent, teamspeak, etc now why bother?
    Because it's much easier and convenient? Not needing to have the same versions installed, not having to give out passwords and IP, then change them after the pug, having mouth breathers not knowing how push to talk works because voice activation is default in so many of them.

The one thing no one has mentioned yet is that you have to pay for Mumble and Vent to have a dedicated server. As someone that actually pays for one of these servers I sure hope this works well so I can put that money to use somewhere else in my life. I'm sure there are a lot of guild masters out there that feel the same. If that happens then yes people will have no choice but to switch to the bnet voip because we will just stop paying for the servers.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by darxide View Post
    Shit, I feel old. If you would have asked me I would have told you that it came out sometime during WotLK. I don't at all remember this during TBC.
    My thoughts exactly, I could've sworn it wasn't that old. Heh.

Quote Originally Posted by Mabon View Post
    The one thing no one has mentioned yet is that you have to pay for Mumble and Vent to have a dedicated server. As someone that actually pays for one of these servers I sure hope this works well so I can put that money to use somewhere else in my life. I'm sure there are a lot of guild masters out there that feel the same. If that happens then yes people will have no choice but to switch to the bnet voip because we will just stop paying for the servers.
    Patch notes for the battle.net version say it can do up to 99 players for free.

I just hope this is a precursor to LFR being tuned to have slightly higher expectations with regard to coordination.

It's weird, isn't it?

The longer these posts get, the less stuff actually gets put into the game.

Oh, dear Blizzard -- didn't you see the outrage you got after the LAST in-game voice stuff you tried to do? Just stop. Do yourself a favor. Nothing's going to make those raiders come back.

I wonder how many people, who say "something something waste of dev time, something something wow features", know that there's a separate b.net dev team, new voice chat has nothing to do with WoW

Whats the betting it requires showing your battlenet ID so spammers will be randomly trying to get people into chat to get their Bnet ID's so they can send out more spam and phishing messages.

Waits for...LF DPS for timewalking, needs to be 720 ilvl and be on VOIP with working mic. (the first bit i already see regularly).

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyMccrum View Post
    It's weird, isn't it?

The longer these posts get, the less stuff actually gets put into the game.

Oh, dear Blizzard -- didn't you see the outrage you got after the LAST in-game voice stuff you tried to do? Just stop. Do yourself a favor. Nothing's going to make those raiders come back.
    You didn't read the full post did you this is Battlenet Client VOIP and as such can be used playing any Blizzard game and as others have said you could still use it while playing other games.. It is sort of like Vent, Mumble, Teamspeak and so on but you wont have to download all those other programs and get settings / passwords and all that other crap..

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pandragon View Post
    blizzards caving has begun. we all know how this will go. lone wolf will out dps the pet. people will complain and LW will get nerfed so the pets better and not be used anymore. The 2 will never be balanced and even in dps so there is a choice.
    What this means is I don't lose my battle rez and heroism as a marksman hunter.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nirty999 View Post
    Whats the point of this when we have so many voice programs already.. this is just a waste of time and resources
    And if done right then the need to have six different voice chat programs, the having to enter server details every time you join a pug raids voice chat which is a right pain in the ass, will be gone..

Also you do know that the folks who work on the B.Net client software are more than likely not the same ones who work on the games..

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by wing5wong View Post
    Well players do want it - as long as it offers the basics, then less competent players wont need to download, ventrilo,mumble, TS3, and curse, and discord, and whatever else groups demand of them.
    If they can make it compete with those, all the better but i wouldnt expect it to
    Yeah that is what I am hoping for, the need to have multiple chat programs and having to enter server details and so on every time I join a pug will be a great boon indeed..

But it is just amazing the amount of hate over this, you would think that people would be happy but as some of the posts in this thread prove they are not happy and never will be..

10+ Year Old Account
    But how does one talk to one who has no friends?

Aka me.