Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    I would consider upgrading if they let me trade my old PS4 in and buy the new one for like 200 dollars, but I don't have a 4K TV/monitor.

Honestly I feel like people are blowing this out of proportion. Why would they make the PS4s that 35+ million people have purchased? Wouldn't be a good move. I do believe that they are working on a new model for the PS4, but I don't believe it will be like a half generation and even if it is, the games will either not take advantage of the enhanced hardware or they'll fuck 35 million people out of 400 dollars.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Valyrian the Moofia Boss View Post
    Kotaku is shit? I wonder...

$400 is a dubious price for a console though, especially considering this is 2016 we're talking about.
    Nothing can run 4K at 60 FPS for $400, let alone 30 FPS.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Poppincaps View Post
    I would consider upgrading if they let me trade my old PS4 in and buy the new one for like 200 dollars, but I don't have a 4K TV/monitor.

Honestly I feel like people are blowing this out of proportion. Why would they make the PS4s that 35+ million people have purchased? Wouldn't be a good move. I do believe that they are working on a new model for the PS4, but I don't believe it will be like a half generation and even if it is, the games will either not take advantage of the enhanced hardware or they'll fuck 35 million people out of 400 dollars.
    It's not even worth developing because 4K TV adoption rates are not exactly breaking records.

I'm happy this is the only generation of consoles I haven't bought into. Nintendo are currently coping shit because of the new 3ds, MS are apparently planning an upgrade for the xbox, and now sony might be doing the same. Console add ons/upgrades rarely work out. From memory only the N64 did it well.

Granted this is prob bs but it might result in a more streamlined ps4 like sony have done in the past which is fine.

10+ Year Old Account
    Im still waiting for 3DTVs to take off.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

Quote Originally Posted by Jakexe View Post
    I'm happy this is the only generation of consoles I haven't bought into. Nintendo are currently coping shit because of the new 3ds, MS are apparently planning an upgrade for the xbox, and now sony might be doing the same. Console add ons/upgrades rarely work out. From memory only the N64 did it well.

Granted this is prob bs but it might result in a more streamlined ps4 like sony have done in the past which is fine.
    Nah. This sounds more like the 64DD which failed spectacularly. If its actually an upgrade you connect with your existing PS4 hardware anyways.
    Last edited by Erolian; 2016-03-19 at 07:25 AM.

U realize last generation had hardware upgrades. Xbox changed processors halfway through and i think ps3 upgraded some shit as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeta333 View Post
    U realize last generation had hardware upgrades. Xbox changed processors halfway through and i think ps3 upgraded some shit as well.
    Wasn't an upgrade though. The 360 changed chips due to the failure that was the gen 1 360s, but it was still the same clock speed and same memory. Just far lower voltage and heat generation. The newer 360s did not have a performance advantage over the old 360s, only less prone to failure, smaller and use less power.

The PS3 just got smaller proccessors of the exact same kind. Again, not an upgrade but allowed them to shrink the system, make it cheaper and use less voltage/generate less heat.

Sony is just going to upgrade the hdmi port for 4k blueray/stream service playback, and make other QoL changes and possibly shrink the system. There isn't going to be a power advantage in newer PS4s and even if there was developers wouldn't use it as it would be a headache to code and test.
    Last edited by Tech614; 2016-03-19 at 08:56 AM.

Deleted
    I don't really like this idea per se.

When I bought PS4 I bought it to have some fun with it because I knew that the games that will be released for it are going to work. Now I fear because of focus on 4k and more powerful consles newer titles may stutter on older consoles if devs try to pack more things into them due to newer PS4 being more pwoerful. Of course it may not be the case with so many current PS4 units being sold and thus certain solid playerbase for it but still.

If they do plan on bringing to live this PS4,5 thing then I doubt I will buy next-gen console and I will just stick to upgrading my PC instead.

Deleted
    This is questionably on too many fronts. The price tag with 4k hardware for 400$ is optimistic, the vast majority of consumers doesn't have 4k ready tv sets, there is hardly any other content available in 4k (sports broadcasts and movies might sell your gformat) and it would make many old PS4 buyers question their investment.

Apple is doing it so why shouldn't Sony or Microsoft do it? AAA devs are putting micro transactions and season passes in their games to make more money. It's all about how much money you can make nowadays.

I wouldn't be surprised if we see a PS 4.5 or and updated Xbone. I don't think it'll happen this gen but next gen definitely.

As mentioned neither were upgrades. Neither created a rift between games you can and can't play. That could be the death kneel for either console.

I don't believe it simply based on the price alone. The last few console generations were much more than $400 on release and I doubt they'd step back now.

10+ Year Old Account
    Can they just focus on giving us 1080p and stable 60fps instead...
    "when i'm around you i'm like a level 5 metapod. all i can do is harden!"

Quote Originally Posted by unholytestament View Post
    The people who cry for censorship aren't going to be buying the game anyway. Censoring it, is going to piss off the people who were going to buy it.
    Barret: It's a good thing we had those Phoenix Downs.
    Cloud: You have the downs!

10+ Year Old Account
    Seems a tad premature, hasn't the PS4 only been out like a year?

Quote Originally Posted by Rickmagnus View Post
    Seems a tad premature, hasn't the PS4 only been out like a year?
    Not sure if this is a serious question but ill answer it.

No come Nov of this year it will be out 3 years.

Ontopic: Nope fuck all that. I am not paying another $400+ to get a more powerful console. If there is some trade in deal that makes it cost me like $200 or less I am all for it. But if not then nope fuck that, Dam console isn't even 5 years old yet.

The Ps4 and XB1 did come out with older then fuck hardware, But there is no way I will upgrade so early in the life of my ps4.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

As mentioned neither were upgrades. Neither created a rift between games you can and can't play. That could be the death kneel for either console.
    Like nintendo does with thier handhelds?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Blade Wolf View Post
    Because everyone seems to think 4k is the new MUST have thing or else. Just like these VR headsets.

Like nintendo does with thier handhelds?.
    You mean those entire 2 games that are exclusive to the N3DS?

Those shitty 5 min eshop games that where exclusive to DSI?

Even when Nintendo has increased the power slightly in their last 2 handhelds, it's never really been taken advantage of.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    The 360 had a die shrink on the processor in order to reduce the red ring of death issues, they improved the manufacturing process of the CPU itself, they didn't actually make it faster.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    You mean those entire 2 games that are exclusive to the N3DS?

Those shitty 5 min eshop games that where exclusive to DSI?

Even when Nintendo has increased the power slightly in their last 2 handhelds, it's never really been taken advantage of.
    Sadly you are correct Tech, the majority of games are well into development when these hardware upgrades get released and there is no way in hell studios are going to update them for the minority of owners who are going to buy them, and I don't think gamer's are stupid enough to upgrade their consoles 2 or 3 years in, especially for 4K which is still has a very small install base as well. I doubt anyone is stupid enough to buy a $2000 TV to play games on a $600 console. Sony is stupid if they think that pushing 4K on their system is going to work at all, it doesn't have the juice under the hood to do it in both GPU and CPU power. A 1.7 Ghz multicore processor just can't handle 4K at high resolutions, so they are going to be no doubt locked at 30 FPS in 4K while games that don't use 4K would be able to be rendered at 1080p at higher frame rates, which is more preferred for performance anyway.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kathandira View Post
    How will this work with online gaming between people with the original PS4, and the better performing PS4.5? Will people on the better machine have an unfair advantage as the game runs smoother?
    Of course. Why shouldn't it? Some folks had shit internet speed so it put them at a disadvantage already too. And PC gaming has been this way forever.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Blade Wolf View Post
    1080p is cheaper every day man.

People don't want to buy $4000 TVs and $600 GPUs to run 1080p. So they have to make new things that people are stupid enough to spend money on

Business