Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Blizzard tried.

Lost half of WoW population ...

Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    I bet you're glad you can post under an alias here.
    Not without valid fear - there's plenty possibility a man's life could be ruined for saying the "wrong" thing.

I would be willing to use my full name in comments if CBC was held to some sort of journalistic standards. I was really hoping they would just die off with the loss of hockey night in canada and their reduced funding.

10+ Year Old Account
    I would never comment on anything online if I had to use my real name, that is just asking for more harmful trolling that what we have now.

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Blur4stuff View Post
    my real name is john smith, i swear.
    Lol! Yeah, there would be a lot of John Smith's online who live at the North Pole.

The way I post would not change. I probably would stop posting altogether outside of maybe once in a blue moon because people can be incredibly hateful. I don't want to be affected IRL for an opinion I posted online.

This change would inevitably lead to that happening to people.

Quote Originally Posted by Dhrizzle View Post
    Maybe you shouldn't access those services through a TV broadcaster and instead go somewhere that does allow anonymity. Personally I'm surprised CBC offers those services.
    You'd be surprised how much you can give away simply by commenting on a news story about one of these issues.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Raybourne View Post
    Not without valid fear - there's plenty possibility a man's life could be ruined for saying the "wrong" thing.
    What's wrong with that?

10+ Year Old Account
    I thought that people had to use Facebook to post on the CBC website anyway? Do you not require your real name when logging in using Facebook on websites? What really startled me was that the CBC removed comments on stories regarding Native people, simply because people would say hateful things on a post linked to their Facebook without fear of social reprisal.

10+ Year Old Account
    What's wrong with that?
    Everything, it stifles self expression against the accepted norms.

What's wrong with that?
    Who gets to decide what the "wrong thing" is? I've had people go out of their way to tell me horrible things because I did better in a video game online. I've had people threaten me and say terrible things simply because they don't like my opinion.

I don't want people like that knowing my name. The vast majority I wouldn't care about because the things I say or do are the way I would act IRL, but I can't exactly trust people with personal information online.
    Last edited by lazypeon100; 2016-03-20 at 06:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by klogaroth View Post
    It's fine.

Letting your homophobic parents know that you're gay because you used your real name online is good.
    Letting your abusive partner know that you've been visiting forums to ask for advice on how to escape an abusive relationship safely is good.
    Letting your idiot co-worker know that you're part of a self help group for a mental illness is good.

The plan is full of good ideas.
    This is the best post in this entire thread.

Also...

Quote Originally Posted by PvPHeroLulz View Post
    Looking through someones facebook history != Seeing if you fit in on a workplace.

Looking through a Forums Post history = Searching for dirt to throw on a person, implying motive.

Get your reasoning straight and keep your short-tempered insults to yourself.
    Have you ever BEEN to the internet? Your employer wouldn't have to google your name to dig up dirt, someone, -anyone- could compile some screenshots and provide links and forward an email to your boss. That random coworker you got into a pointless argument with, some stranger you got into an argument with, someone you offended without even knowing it(by idk calling people cunts in forums). My point being, the setup we have actually works pretty well.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellhound View Post
    Everything, it stifles self expression against the accepted norms.
    Prevents hate ideology from spreading.

10+ Year Old Account
    Probably laying somewhere frozen and cold.
    Haha, to think that such a small, innocent idea could be so provacative to peoples ideas of "I can be an anonymys asshole with no consequences".

I say, sure, include peoples names.

Expose, every, single, one.

- - - Updated - - -

You mean that people can't act as rabid c'nts for free anymore?

Sounds pretty damn harsh, man.
    That's what happens when you breath anonymity. When people can't get the way they want, they are usually anonymous cunts on the internet about it and that's how the system works without flaw.

Trust me, if the worst part of your life is cunts and idiots on the internet, you need to get a life.
    There are no worse scum in this world than fascists, rebels and political hypocrites.
    Donald Trump is only like Hitler because of the fact he's losing this war on all fronts.
    Apparently condemning a fascist ideology is the same as being fascist. And who the fuck are you to say I can't be fascist against fascist ideologies?
    If merit was the only dividing factor in the human race, then everyone on Earth would be pretty damn equal.

This aint going to happen, at least not for long.

Remember when Blizzard tried to pull the same shit with their forums? The Canadian Privacy Commission got involved, same thing will happen here.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by lazypeon100 View Post
    Who gets to decide what the "wrong thing" is? I've had people go out of their way to tell me horrible things because I did better in a video game online. I've had people threaten me and say terrible things simply because they don't like my opinion.

I don't want people like that knowing my name. The vast majority I wouldn't care about because the things I say or do are the way I would act IRL, but I can't exactly trust people with personal information online.
    Who says it's about what's wrong? Let the person's employer decide that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Honestly, the only people that want this kind of thing are the people that already put their full name, age, DoB, home phone, work phone, cell phone, home address, work address, pager and their entire life stories into a neatly compiled timeline all for anyone with access to the internet can see.

And then they bitch about being stalked and harassed online. THAT'S when it gets funny.
    There are no worse scum in this world than fascists, rebels and political hypocrites.
    Donald Trump is only like Hitler because of the fact he's losing this war on all fronts.
    Apparently condemning a fascist ideology is the same as being fascist. And who the fuck are you to say I can't be fascist against fascist ideologies?
    If merit was the only dividing factor in the human race, then everyone on Earth would be pretty damn equal.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Manabomb View Post
    That's what happens when you breath anonymity. When people can't get the way they want, they are usually anonymous cunts on the internet about it and that's how the system works without flaw.

Trust me, if the worst part of your life is cunts and idiots on the internet, you need to get a life.
    I need to get a life because people can't behave?

Flawless logic ; Keep excusing asshole behaviour, won't ya

10+ Year Old Account
    I need to get a life because people can't behave?

Flawless logic ; Keep excusing asshole behaviour, won't ya
    What is your definition of behave and why is your definition the only acceptable one? Where are these laws of the internet you're citing?! I MUST READ THEM! You seem to be forgetting your flawless logic, the logic that only your ideas, your opinions and your thoughts matter and if anyone says anything contrary to that is being "offensive".

Assholes will be assholes, but some people are assholes with points. You have no right to stifle that.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by xact4 View Post

Have you ever BEEN to the internet? Your employer wouldn't have to google your name to dig up dirt, someone, -anyone- could compile some screenshots and provide links and forward an email to your boss. That random coworker you got into a pointless argument with, some stranger you got into an argument with, someone you offended without even knowing it(by idk calling people cunts in forums). My point being, the setup we have actually works pretty well.
    I've been on the internet for well above 15+ years, and i have had no issues in regards to employers. So, yeah, you keep living in that fantasy world of yours where my boss is gonna give a f'ck that you had a different opinion to me ; News flash - You ain't that important.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Manabomb View Post
    What is your definition of behave and why is your definition the only acceptable one? Where are these laws of the internet you're citing?! I MUST READ THEM!
    It's called Moderation ; read em.