10+ Year Old Account

How much does it cost to get your vote?

There's alot of discussion about money in politics. Its easy to overlook why so much money is needed.
    A quick analysis of spending the the country's most expensive media market.

Sanders won about 750,000 votes in New York — or 42 percent — while spending more than $6.8 million on TV and radio ads, according to election, according to data provided to the Center for Public Integrity by The Tracking Firm, a nonpartisan media tracking company.

Sanders’ spending spree amounted to about $9.03 per vote.
    Clinton, meanwhile, bagged more than 1 million votes while spending about $3.8 million on TV and radio ads — about $3.62 per vote.
    Trump, who has benefited from widespread media coverage, spent a mere $67,000 on radio ads during the state’s primary election — the equivalent of about 13 cents per vote.

Deleted
    It doesn't cost a thing if you have policies that I approve of. If you don't, I wouldn't vote for you regardless of how much money you gave me, I'd take the money and then say I voted for you even when I didn't.

i don't watch broadcast television or radio, so i've yet to hear/see a single campaign ad. plus i won't vote for any of these clowns.

10+ Year Old Account
    My vote is free if I find you worthy of voting for. If I disagree with your politics, you couldn't afford to change my mind.

Enough money that I would be set for life no matter what kind of crazy policies you enact. With enough money, even I would compromise my principles.

10+ Year Old Account
    My vote is not for sale, I vote for the candidate I feel will do the least harm to those things I am most concerned about.

Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    Whenever I talk to people one-on-one, they give a reply similar to this.

Which makes me wonder, who are the voters who are deciding their vote based on ads? Or signs? Who is all this money actually aimed at?
    The people that think they can't be bought

Human mind is a funky thing, just seeing an add can fuck with your perception of things.

10+ Year Old Account
    Whenever I talk to people one-on-one, they give a reply similar to this.

Which makes me wonder, who are the voters who are deciding their vote based on ads? Or signs? Who is all this money actually aimed at?
    People like to assume they're immune to advertising and marketing. If they were right, we wouldn't spend $220 billion on it per year.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

Often it's aimed at making people not vote at all.

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

10+ Year Old Account
    There's something in the water... Florida
    However much they donated to npr if any lol. Thats the only news source i use since i dont watch tv.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    MMO-C, where a shill for Putin cares about democracy in the US.

10+ Year Old Account
    My vote costs one platform of good or at least acceptable policies.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

To answer the question literally, it would cost enough money that I could retire and live out my days doing whatever I wanted. My altruism only extends so many digits...

But more to the reality of the situation, no amount of spending on political ads could possibly sway my vote one way or another. Aside from not consuming the mediums in which advertising is focused, I make voting decisions based on who I agree with most and who will do the best job handling the issues that I weigh as most improtant, not who makes the best sales pitch.

10+ Year Old Account
    This analysis is really irrelevant, without answering another question first: how many would vote for Sanders if he hadn't spent a dime on ads? Without this background, talking about how many votes he got for how much money doesn't make much sense.
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.
    Thanks for the avatar goes to Carbot Animations and Sy.

Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    People like to assume they're immune to advertising and marketing. If they were right, we wouldn't spend $220 billion on it per year.
    This.

There's entire armies of psychologists, social engineers and marketing majors devoted to the ever expanding and always adapting study of how to sell you tons of shit you may or may not want or need. Even as society builds up a marketing tolerance to one thing they're switching it up with another, running test groups and analyzing trends and data to get you products as you need them if not before.

Only solution is to plug pull and isolate if you want to avoid it because it's by nature completely invasive and all encompassing.
    The Fresh Prince of Baudelaire

Banned at least 10 times. Don't give a fuck, going to keep saying what I want how I want to.

Eat meat. Drink water. Do cardio and burpees. The good life.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by May90 View Post
    This analysis is really irrelevant, without answering another question first: how many would vote for Sanders if he hadn't spent a dime on ads? Without this background, talking about how many votes he got for how much money doesn't make much sense.
    Well Trump spent the least and did very well. Why couldnt Bernie replicate that.

Maybe its not about the candidate. It could be about the self-image of the voters attracted to each candidate.
    Put the question in reverse. Why do Trump voters give away their votes so cheaply? Why are Sanders supporters so expensive?

But...have you EVER had your choice of political candidate changed by an ad?

I mean, people say that marketing is this huge deal, but I can't remember the last time I was swayed by something I saw on the TV or something.

Then again, I'm insanely cynical about "marketing" overall. Maybe from reading too many books on the topic. My wife jokes that it's bordering on paranoia.
    the point of it isn't that you're aware of it; it's that you subconsciously "know" or "feel" something, and act of your own "free will" with that there.

Like all the Clinton crap - do they really expect all the indictments and stuff? No. But it associates her with scandal, and makes her "less trustworthy" despite none of it ever coming to fruit. That's the entire point of smear adds - they don't want you to believe it, they want you to ASSOCIATE it.. and then you "chose" to not vote for them because they "feel slimy".

But...have you EVER had your choice of political candidate changed by an ad?
    Well I was on the fence between the liberals and the NDP, leaning NDP. Then the conservative attack ads on Justin Trudeau (Liberal) convinced me to vote Liberal.

I vote based off of a candidates platforms. Most of the time, if I hear too much of a commercial I won't buy it. If I were listening to the radio and was getting bombarded with vote Clinton/Sanders/Trump whoever, chances are it's going to sour me on that candidate. I would still keep in mind their platforms at voting time, but having to hear their shit slinging in commercial form may sway me to another candidate that is close in platform.

Directly to the question, my cost to change my vote would literally be a large sum of money, cash in hand.

10+ Year Old Account
    whoever will keep out the draenei.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    Its funny I almost bought Magic Mesh for my sliding door today. Until I YouTube and read comments/reviews.