Page 1 of 25
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    every one of my key strokes is actually a brush stroke on the canvas that is the off-topic forum

Why didn't you serve?

Most of the people on this site are millennials, ages 20-40. So I am wondering why you haven't served your country? I'm old so thats my answer...and i don't like dying. For the people that have, thank you for your service.

Scarab Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    I serve my country by being a productive, tax paying, member of society...
    (This signature was removed for violation of the Avatar & Signature Guidelines)

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrianth View Post
    This, and my country doesn't fetishize its military.

My answer as well.

10+ Year Old Account
    My wheelchair isn't all terrain

Deleted
    I would have liked to have done some kind of fun tech-y fobbit-y military job maybe, but they'd never have me.

Brewmaster
    7+ Year Old Account
    I have asthma and I'm 5'10 125 pounds. Far too small.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayburner View Post
    Most of the people on this site are millennials, ages 20-40. So I am wondering why you haven't served your country? I'm old so thats my answer...and i don't like dying. For the people that have, thank you for your service.
    You didn't serve because you are old? Funny how the military has allowed you to enlist for the last 200 years or so. Don't like dying? Don't know who does. I hope you don't go around asking others to do wars for you when you were too "old" to enlist yourself.
    What are we gonna do now? Taking off his turban, they said, is this man a Jew?
    'Cause they're working for the clampdown
    They put up a poster saying we earn more than you!
    When we're working for the clampdown
    We will teach our twisted speech To the young believers
    We will train our blue-eyed men To be young believers

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't want to kill people for no reason.

Granted I did consider one of those "technological" jobs but it wasn't viable.

Deleted
    I don't see how getting shot in a shit hole in the middle eat is serving my country.

Titanium rod in my leg was rejected....

They told me I couldn't be a pilot. So I told em no thanks.

I went to NZ and raced horses instead. Much better decision than getting stuck in pointless battles in iraq/afghanistan indefinitely.
    http://thingsihaveneverdone.wordpress.com
    Just started my 24/7 LoFi stream. Come listen!
    https://youtu.be/3uv1pLbpQM8

7+ Year Old Account
    Millenials can be at most 34, older than that are GenX.

Medical disqualification.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't want to join a military that would be hard pressed to defend against Namibia.

Deleted
    We don't have a military culture, like the US has.
    It's quite the opposite even: people look down on those that join the military.

I personally never considered joining because I like making loads of money and being my own boss (and hate taking orders).

Partying in Valhalla
    15+ Year Old Account
    Well, I nearly enlisted post-college because they have some sweet enlisted programming jobs. I ended up getting a job I'd sent my resume to before fully considering that one. Turns out I already get paid more than what the enlisted job would have paid. I'd have probably liked it quite a bit, though. Seems like some interesting stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Jayburner View Post
    Because I'm gay and I didn't want to have to go back in the closet after having come out at 15.

Plus, like, I'm kind of a sissy.

This is the truth. I worked my ass off to build a nice career for myself, obey the laws, pay my taxes, produce children to replace me and my wife and try to instill a big sense of responsibility in them so they can be well functioning productive members of my society. I think I am serving the greater good much better in that capacity than by going into the military and participating in morally dubious wars (that I am unfortunately funding by paying taxes and creating future tax payers but thats an other discussion)

I had my CAP 1st Sgt ready to take me to the marine recruiter and forge my parents' signatures when I was 17 because my life's dream up to that point was to be a marine. Before he took me he sat me down and asked me if this is really what I wanted to do, I told him yes I want to be deployed to Iraq or Afghanistan (this was in 2007) to fight for my country. He said to me that's respectable and admirable, but asked me am I willing to risk dying to fight someone else's war? That really stuck with me and so I decided to finish highschool and go to college. Now I'm 24 and on the cusp of being a marine biologist and I want nothing more than to be in the military

Intel Core i5 4690K 3.50Ghz, OC'd to 4.0Ghz | 8GB Corsair DDR3-1066 RAM | Gigabyte Z97-HD3
    NVIDIA GeForce 680GTX 2048MB VRAM | Corsair 750TX 750W PSU | Phantecks Dual fan PH-TC14PE