Page 9 of 25 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by supertony51 View Post
    You can be gay and in the military.
    Still a stigma in some parts according to friends of mine.

Quote Originally Posted by Pendra View Post
    Shooting or not, it seems like you have to travel between places quite a bit. Another reason why such a job would never interested me.
    Also, the very rigid, hierarchical structure. I'd get annoyed super quickly by that.
    Yeah, I can understand that. the key is to respect the rank, even if you don't respect the man.

On a lower level, shitty leaders are isolated and pushed aside fairly quick.

10+ Year Old Account
    Because when I was 18, I clocked in at 60 kilos soaking wet and didn't think I could take the life of another human being. I would have been a detriment in combat.

So I don't regret removing him from power, the sad thing about the middle east though, is that there are always more evil men to take over where someone else left off.
    Without wanting to go into it, the removal of Saddam can very much be seen as a reason ISIS is still going strong. He was one of the few in place that would have been able to quash it.

Of course it's not really saying it's the US fault for taking him down, they did stay and give plenty of training and help to the new Iraq government, it just appears to have not really worked as hoped.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, don't get me wrong, im glad we overthrew Saddam.

Little personal story. While stationed at Taji, I had a chance to explore Chemical Ali's "compound". You know the place where they were developing chemical weapons.

I got to see some of the torture chambers that they used to test chemical weapons. sloping floors that lead to drainage tubes for blood. Meat hooks for hanging people from the walls...etc etc.

There were still blood stains on the floor.

So I don't regret removing him from power, the sad thing about the middle east though, is that there are always more evil men to take over where someone else left off.
    The problem is, it was not our fight. Our fight was with some Tall Saudi dude who turned out to be in Pakistan.

LOL, I think anyone would have a hard time breathing if your running 3 miles at a 6 minute mile pace.
    Yeah, but I'll be wheezing for like half a day after that. If I do like an 8 minute pace instead, I'm fine.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    There are no 2 species that are 100% identical.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redditor
    can you leftist twits just fucking admit that quantum mechanics has fuck all to do with thermodynamics, that shit is just a pose?

Quote Originally Posted by GennGreymane View Post
    Still a stigma in some parts according to friends of mine.
    Well, it makes people uncomfortable, and there are still assholes, just like the rest of society.

there are still plenty of openly gay men, and TONS of lesbians in the military though.

10+ Year Old Account
    Обединени социалистически щати на Америка
    Quote Originally Posted by IIamaKing View Post
    Disqualified for having taken ritlan for ADD from 8-13. It was interesting, I went in, was told to lie, I am thre standing in my skivvies, in front of a guy sitting below a sign that says "lying to these questions can result in 5 years and 25k". I was asked point blank "have you taken ritlan for add" while staring into my file. I did what my gut said and was honest. What I remember most was how disappointed all the recruiters were. Like How dare you have honor and honesty. My recruiter didnt speak to me all the way home. It left a bad taste in my mouth, figuring all they cared about was getting bodies signed up, not honor or pride.
    If ritalin is enough to not be hired by your countries army, I would have zero chance with all my meds lol.

Quote Originally Posted by GennGreymane View Post
    The problem is, it was not our fight. Our fight was with some Tall Saudi dude who turned out to be in Pakistan.
    Not disagreeing, just saying I don't regret being there or what i did there.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, it makes people uncomfortable, and there are still assholes, just like the rest of society.

there are still plenty of openly gay men, and TONS of lesbians in the military though.
    I can imagine why there are tons of "lesbians" lol, and its not because of the girls :P

Deleted
    Well Ill try to keep it short but its cause I dont wanna.. you could just as well as why someone didnt become a medical doctor or an astronaut.

The Patient
    7+ Year Old Account
    Do you want me to serve Putin? I have different plans on my life.

10+ Year Old Account
    If my country were invaded I would be first in line to help defend. Besides that, I have very little interest in the military.

Not that this is an excuse, more of a reason behind my decision, but my children were born when I was still pretty young and I made the choice to be there in their early years, instead of joining the military when I was considering it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Not disagreeing, just saying I don't regret being there or what i did there.
    Fair enough

Quote Originally Posted by Xanjori View Post
    Without wanting to go into it, the removal of Saddam can very much be seen as a reason ISIS is still going strong. He was one of the few in place that would have been able to quash it.

Of course it's not really saying it's the US fault for taking him down, they did stay and give plenty of training and help to the new Iraq government, it just appears to have not really worked as hoped.
    The biggest mistake we made there was to disband the Iraqi army to begin with.

As far as them fighting ISIS, well/......long story short....the whole Shia Sunni conflict had a major effect on that.

Well, don't get me wrong, im glad we overthrew Saddam.

Yeahh...It's exactly this. You try to do some good, but because of how that corner of the world is, your efforts end up with no results, or it gets worse. Can't really win either way, except to not take part sadly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    True, I was just bored and tired but you are correct.

Last edited by Thwart; Today at 05:21 PM. Reason: Infracted for flaming
    Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    millennials were the kids of the 9/11 survivors.

Deleted
    Yeah, I can understand that. the key is to respect the rank, even if you don't respect the man.
    Maybe, but that's just not really for me. Sure, you have to respect your boss in every job, and that's fine - but it's nowhere near as strict and rigid as it is in the military, where ranks are just SO important. Same goes for the police, for example.
    I want to work in a creative, casual environment if possible - which the military certainly is not.
    But as always, different people are ok with different things.

That said: All that goes for non-combat jobs. Jobs that would actually even have the possibility of participating in a conflict would never be an option for me anyway. I am waaaay to pacifistic for that.

Missed the boat, spent my youth screwing around and got to comfy with a well paying desk job for 10+ years in the tech industry.

Basically a few years ago decided my legacy was not going to be a desk jockey and a corporate cog.

Doing my part now going back to college in my 30's to finish a degree in CJ and then get on board with DHS or US Marshal services.

If you're referring to military service, I did and I currently am.

But that's not the only way to serve your country, nor does anyone have an obligation to join the military in the US (beyond males needing to register for the draft, but let's be honest, short of an imminent invasion on our soil the draft isn't going to be activated, so as someone who is currently on active duty I would say that asking the question in the way you did is at best ignorant, and at worst outright offensive.

Deleted
    They cut the defence budget (again) and was changing how it worked from conscript over to more specialized army. Worked out like shit and now 12 years later they are changing back again because to few were willing to serve in the weak underfunded army.

Anyway had a job at the time and they asked me if i wanted to quit my job to get 1/3 the pay and live in the forrest for a year. I said no and they said ok.