Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Recent Study Finds People of African Descent Have Keener Sense of Smell.

A recent study involving senses of smell among various ethnic groups of homo-sapiens has shown that people of African descent have a keener sense of smell than the vast majority of other peoples. Researchers believe that this is thanks to a slightly enlarged nasal cavity than those of Caucasian, Asian, and other ethnic groups.

One of the first tests involved included slightly altered dishes of food in which similar spices were used that gave off a very faint aroma differentiating one from the other. Of the control group used, only 27% of Caucasians, 22% of Asian and 43% of Indians could detect a change in each dish. Astonishingly, 83% of Africans noticed the change almost immediately.

"Its quite the surprise," Doctor Benjamin Sardonico, the lead researcher stated after reviewing the results. "I never would have guessed the difference would be so vast."

"I myself have been leaning towards attending a culinary school." Jamal Lendes commented after the spice test results were listed, "Its nice knowing that this may help me in the future!"

Another test included the typical alcohol swab test in which a person opens an alcohol swab packet by their belly button and slowly moving the swab upwards until they can smell the alcohol. On average the Africans were able to smell the swab 1.34 to 3.2 inches lower than the average of the other groups.

"While we all may have our differences, we have to remember that it is these differences that make humanity the great and beautiful organisms that we are." Dr. Sardonico stated in closing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xf-QTw615b4

Honestly I found this pretty interesting to watch.

That can't be the case. Race isn't real. Or there's only one race and it's human. Or something.

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    That can't be the case. Race isn't real. Or there's only one race and it's human. Or something.
    Acually there was a few homo races of humans. Only our race got where it is today.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    In other countries like Canada the population has chosen to believe in hope, peace and tolerance. This we can see from the election of the Honourable Justin Trudeau who stood against the politics of hate and divisiveness.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shibito View Post
    Acually there was a few homo races of humans. Only our race got where it is today.
    Yeah I remember watching this documentary on ancient human life when humans were various races of cavemen. Was around 2 hours and a very interesting watch, wish I could find it again.

Obviously they have the best sense of smell, they trained their noses vigorously by breathing all the white mans air.

I'm pretty open to these differences, although I'm not sure what the application or importance is. Bias in African chef hiring inc? Maybe they'll be greater allergy sufferers?

10+ Year Old Account
    But I thought there was more diversity within groups than between groups? How can they possibly categorize these people?

- - - Updated - - -

On a more serious note, detection of smells in this case probably has less to do with a bigger nose than it has to do with genetic loss of receptors. I think it would be interesting to see how capacity to smell varies by ethnic group - but they would have to use a wide variety of scents, and not just a few spices which may or may not have evolutionary relevance for different groups.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think it is pretty natural that people living in more primal conditions, when senses are much more important than in our industrialized world, develop those senses to a larger extent, and, in time, they start affecting genetics as well. I'm actually surprised that the researchers were surprised by it.
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.
    Thanks for the avatar goes to Carbot Animations and Sy.

10+ Year Old Account
    There is only one species. There are genetic differences between groups of humans. That genetic difference is tiny (like less than a percent), but that doesn't mean it can't manifest in visible ways, like skin and hair colors, predisposition towards obesity/muscles, senses of smell, hearing, and sight.

Race is just a euphamism for breed when referring to humans.

"Look! A freckled mountain Norwegian."

DATS WACIST

If you were to open the floodgates for human husbandry I imagine you'd have as much variety as you do in dog breeds.

Quote Originally Posted by Gheld View Post
    Race is just a euphamism for breed when referring to humans.

"Look! A freckled mountain Norwegian."

DATS WACIST
    Hey u moose-canadian
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    In other countries like Canada the population has chosen to believe in hope, peace and tolerance. This we can see from the election of the Honourable Justin Trudeau who stood against the politics of hate and divisiveness.

Quote Originally Posted by Shibito View Post
    Hey u moose-canadian
    Actually I'm a mutt. Lowlands Scottish Pict combined with Metis and Anglo Saxon.

Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    There is only one species. There are genetic differences between groups of humans. That genetic difference is tiny (like less than a percent), but that doesn't mean it can't manifest in visible ways, like skin and hair colors, predisposition towards obesity/muscles, senses of smell, hearing, and sight.
    I know dude. I'm being sarcastic. The idiotic trope that there aren't races or that they're all identical anyway comes up ridiculously often.

Must be the big nostrils...!

That video, though.

Guessing the study is a fabrication?

i think alot of confusion comes up because people will say "there is no such thing as race" and be using a scientific/taxonomic definition where as the person hearing it will think they are using the colloquial definition which is essentially interchangeable with "ethnicity".

Quote Originally Posted by BonesTheRabbit View Post
    That video, though.

Guessing the study is a fabrication?
    The study must be at the end... I just clicked the video..and now I'm wondering that too...

Quote Originally Posted by Gheld View Post
    The study must be at the end.
    I googled a unique portion of the text, and couldn't find a source article. It just links back here.

So like I said, I'm guessing the post is a joke.

Isn't that kind of... a lot? Bigger muscles, hearing, sight, smell (we might throw in IQ)... that comprises a pretty big chunk of life doesn't it? I know it's all averages with a lot of overlap but still, the way you put it gives me the impression there are a lot of real differences.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by BonesTheRabbit View Post
    I googled a unique portion of the text, and couldn't find a source article. It just links back here.

So like I said, I'm guessing the post is a joke.
    Probably another case of someone plagiarizing a post from stormfront.

Ya'll got Slimjim'd.