Thread: Season 6

Page 17 of 28 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Yeah, I'm not a fan at all of how gearing works in D3. Between the "GET SET OR GET OUT" mentality which is pretty limiting for builds and the importance placed on gem grinding it's just...bleh. Boring and uninteresting to me, I'd rather farm for better and better gear than just level up those gems.
    Yeah I like the seasonal play aspect but the last few seasons have been all about sets and it is really getting kind of stupid. So many item drops are 100% worthless because they aren't set items. They really need to break from that mold in further seasons or the expansion or whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by Tradu View Post
    Yeah, same. But I think the LoN set works pretty well(not a lot of super insane builds, but it does allow set-less builds to be a thing), even if the sets get dumber with every season.
    LoN only really works for a couple of classes though.

It is also ridiculous how much power set bonuses have these days. Completing GR20 solo and getting the 6p bonus catapults you from GR20 to GR45 (Torment 4 to Torment 10).
    Last edited by Butler to Baby Sloths; 2016-05-09 at 10:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyanion View Post
    Yeah I like the seasonal play aspect but the last few seasons have been all about sets and it is really getting kind of stupid. So many item drops are 100% worthless because they aren't set items. They really need to break from that mold in further seasons or the expansion or whatever.
    They could just add more sets to support the "orphan" items(or add other legendaries that support the same sort of abilities to enable more cool LoN stuff)

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Butler Log View Post
    LoN only really works for a couple of classes though.

It is also ridiculous how much power set bonuses have these days. Completing GR20 solo and getting the 6p bonus catapults you from GR20 to GR45 (Torment 4 to Torment 10).
    Well, that's true. There's not a lot of top tier LoN builds(Bombardment and Fan of Knives being the 2 I can think of off the top of my head), but it at least gives the option of set-less being a thing.

And yeah, the set power creep is insane. Sets used to be upgrades, now they make or break your character.
    Tradushuffle
    <Echoes>
    Laughing Skull-EU

Well, that's true. There's not a lot of top tier LoN builds(Bombardment and Fan of Knives being the 2 I can think of off the top of my head), but it at least gives the option of set-less being a thing.

And yeah, the set power creep is insane. Sets used to be upgrades, now they make or break your character.
    It isn't power creep. It's a fucking power stampede

As the game is right now, they might as well remove T2, T3 and T5-9. They could do something like this

Torment 1 (old) = Torment 1 (new)
    Torment 4 (old) = Torment 2 (new)
    Torment 7 (old) = Torment 3 (new)
    Torment 10 (old) = Torment 4 (new)

And the game would be no different. T2, T3, T5, T8, T9 see no play at all, and the only reason people play T6 at all is to boost alts.
    Last edited by Butler to Baby Sloths; 2016-05-09 at 10:47 PM.

I just wish they would implement something so that you could add to your Caldesann's. Like if I put a 50 gem in there and then put say a level 25 gem, I should be able to have that add up rather than replace it. It would make the process much more streamlined in my opinion. However i'm sure there would have to be a cap in place (probably ~150) so that it wouldn't just make 200 GR's a reality solo.

Deleted
    The developers made the mistake early on, before loot 2.0, to make the loot system complicated. The mistake there was that it should've been complex, not complicated. Those are two completely different things. Then, after replacing some of those developers, the new group made a new mistake, again conflating the two completely separate things, and they removed all complexity from the loot system, thinking that the players are dumb.

However, it was never that players were dumb and couldn't handle complexity. It was just that the loot system being complicated instead of just complex, was not fun. It was stupid. But, replacing a stupid and complicated system with a stupid and easy system is not really the right way to go. What you'd want would be a fun and complex system. And, this can also be drawn out to skills and talents as well. They were aiming for a stupid and complicated system with the runestones or whatever the hell they were going for, ditched that, and went for a stupid and easy system.

Complexity isn't easy to create, though. If you look at a spider's web, you'll see that it's a complex pattern, but so beautiful and elegant at the same time. Great architects have managed to create complex structures, that are still so beautiful and elegant. And, when you don't know what the hell you're doing, all you're going to accomplish is a complicated mess, which will then be fixed by other people who don't know what the hell they're doing, and replaced by simplicity and stupidity.

Quote Originally Posted by Sydänyö View Post
    The developers made the mistake early on, before loot 2.0, to make the loot system complicated.
    Quoting this only, but i would have quoted a lot of posts.

Imho, itemization is not complicated at all - it's the complete opposite, straightforward and shallow as hell. Stats are pretty much predetermined, with the exception of thorns build. Main stat/VIT on every piece, AR/armor depending on class, dmg increase on the hardest hitting skill, elemental dmg on bracer and/or amu and chc/chd on every slot available. Most build are covered with this and generally is a really good strategy.

There's literally near zero item hunt. You already know what sets are and thus what builds are, because sets define the builds you can play. So there are a grand total of 4 builds per class +LoN. And most get ignored (while fully playable) becaue their "inferior" or not a part of the "meta".

LoN itself is a pretty cool addition, but over time is going to be an even worse issue as of all the items you have available, only one combo will be played the most because it's the strongest. So while you're going to search for those items, you are already pidgeonholing yourself in a limited set of skills.

Their entire approach towards builds and itemization imho has been built up backwards. You are actively farming for the right items (which also takes no time and doesn't help at all) just to be able to play a build, while you should come up with a build and search for items complementary to it. Currently, if a skill is not listed in a set bonus, it may aswell removed as it doesn't see much use.

S6 actually brought up some build variations, but they're to small and usually less effective, so people just don't bother with them.

Another point: for example in D2 you had a difficulty cap. There was nothing more difficult than farming Inferno and Uber tristram. Hence reaching 99 helped a lot with that, and you could use less effective builds which slowed you, but were completely playable if geared accordingly.
    In D3 you have GR, which are a constantly increasingly difficult content. It's only natural that a setup will come out as the best one (and literally, f*** 3sup/1dps how in the hell this is possible) and people will just focus on that, given no other long-term objective is present in game (and also GRs are pretty much pointless to run until you really crave for pushing or you have a group competing for leaderboards).

EDIT: i didn't really want to go forward (again) and run wild on my ideal itemization system. Feel free to ask if you rally want to know it.
    Non ti fidar di me se il cuor ti manca.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Coldkil View Post
    Imho, itemization is not complicated at all - it's the complete opposite, straightforward and shallow as hell.
    Yeah, as I said. They took a system that was stupid and complicated, and replaced it with a system that's stupid and simple. There's no complexity, no fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Sydänyö View Post
    Yeah, as I said. They took a system that was stupid and complicated, and replaced it with a system that's stupid and simple. There's no complexity, no fun.
    Ok, i got it after my second read

Another issue i find really annoying: all the proc weapons/legendaries are basically useless (the ones with X% chance to do Y% weapon damage or similar). This simply because a) they're not related to any skill and b) they don't scale as well as skills.

They imho are the ground for more interesting legendary effects than "your X skill does Y% more damage" or "has reduced CD" or "gives you Z% reduction". Goes in the same place of sets being build-defining.

Items are just too tailored towards specific skillsets, gutting any appearance of choice we could have.

Deleted
    I was trying to make a frost wizard build, using DMO, with Spectral Blades and Frozen orb, and everything on paper seems like it should work, but without a very specific set of skills and items, any non-twister or non-Arcane Orbit DMO build is extremely lacklustre.

I also tried to make a Frost Archon build, hoping that at sufficient stacks of Archon almost any skill would be worthwhile. I wanted to test using Frostburn Gloves and Azureblade for 75% chance to freeze, then Rimeheart in the cube and Winter Flurry in the OH, Frost Nova - Frozen Mist on the bar thinking that with good density, you would spawn loads of frost pools, freeze everything and get rimeheart procs while in Archon form. The problem is that the it seems you only get Archon stacks when you hit and/or kill with Archon abilities only, and not from other things.

The game does not reward players who want to experiment beyond the cookie cutter, beyond what the developers intended. However, having also played Path of Exile, I have seen what happens when you make the game complex with no set gear. The players will still find the most powerful builds and a collection of very specifically rolled legendaries (uniques) becomes the new set gear.

One thing I would love in Diablo, if you were to steal from PoE, is the elemental overrides. I would love to use a lot of frost abilities, frost gear, but then have something that switches all or some frost damage to fire, so that it would become compatible with Firebird set. Or it would give you more options to play with more skills in a Tal'Rasha build.

Quote Originally Posted by Jinna View Post
    The game does not reward players who want to experiment beyond the cookie cutter, beyond what the developers intended.
    Exactly my gripe. Another thing i don't really get: every set has a baked 50 to 60% dmg reduction as 4pc bonus or it's slapped onto a random legendary. Both are mandatory to make a build playable at high level.

Then why in hell they are special powers. They can just be passives aswell for the same effect - it's not like you're going anywhere without them and also they force you into skill choices you wouldn't even touch if it wasn't for the huge toughness provided (if they're not passives themselves already).

Same goes for the extra life passive skill (which everyone runs with) and the long CD (Veng, AC) that are balanced to have a 100% uptime. Both of them imho can just go down the drain as they're not builds. They're mandartory maintenace buttons.

Paragon 530ish and finally got my first unity yesterday but still need another to play any of the monk GR pushing builds. Luckily I'm still really enjoying the fire bells/"one punch" build so at least I don't feel like quitting yet before even starting high level Grifts.

Quote Originally Posted by Coldkil View Post
    Exactly my gripe. Another thing i don't really get: every set has a baked 50 to 60% dmg reduction as 4pc bonus or it's slapped onto a random legendary. Both are mandatory to make a build playable at high level.

Then why in hell they are special powers. They can just be passives aswell for the same effect - it's not like you're going anywhere without them and also they force you into skill choices you wouldn't even touch if it wasn't for the huge toughness provided (if they're not passives themselves already).

Same goes for the extra life passive skill (which everyone runs with) and the long CD (Veng, AC) that are balanced to have a 100% uptime. Both of them imho can just go down the drain as they're not builds. They're mandartory maintenace buttons.
    Yeah, the 50% DR set bonuses/items are getting pretty silly. There's just so many of them and you have to stack as many of them as you possibly can to not get completely wrecked in higher grifts(solo U6 monk runs Unity, Spirit Guards and sometimes even Lefebvre's, near permanent Epiphany and is still an extremely squishy build, for example)
    Tradushuffle
    <Echoes>
    Laughing Skull-EU

Yeah, the 50% DR set bonuses/items are getting pretty silly. There's just so many of them and you have to stack as many of them as you possibly can to not get completely wrecked in higher grifts(solo U6 monk runs Unity, Spirit Guards and sometimes even Lefebvre's, near permanent Epiphany and is still an extremely squishy build, for example)
    What's worst is that everyone simply NEEDS them. It doesn't change anything if you cannot beat GR90 - if anyone can't, it's commong ground for everyone.

But then, what's the point of spreading these all around? Just make AR/armor dmg reduction scale higher as needed (or even make an hidded passive ffs it literally doesn't change anything) and make room for more interesting things.

Quote Originally Posted by Djriff View Post
    I just wish they would implement something so that you could add to your Caldesann's. Like if I put a 50 gem in there and then put say a level 25 gem, I should be able to have that add up rather than replace it. It would make the process much more streamlined in my opinion. However i'm sure there would have to be a cap in place (probably ~150) so that it wouldn't just make 200 GR's a reality solo.
    I'd like a way to add a socket to a piece of juwellery. They could even just make the Ramaladni's Gift tooltip read "Add a socket to a weapon, amulet or ring".

Quote Originally Posted by Butler Log View Post
    I'd like a way to add a socket to a piece of juwellery. They could even just make the Ramaladni's Gift tooltip read "Add a socket to a weapon, amulet or ring".
    That would be wonderful as well.

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    That would be wonderful as well.
    Yeah, if no one has presented that to Blizzard...I would like that option. Though to be quite honest, they should just add that as a cube recipe instead of a random drop. I've had seasons where I get 0 rams and some where I get like 10. RNG is RNG.
    BAD WOLF

Well with S5 they changed the drop rate of Gifts. Last season at the end I had 16 and i only really played for the first month. This season i've already had 8 drop, 4 of which i just gave to friends.

I'm happy they changed FnR, Compass Rose Set, and Hellfire ammy to almost always roll with a socket. It was a right pain to get something like this:

Main Stat
    Crit Hit Chance 6%
    Attack Speed 4%
    3453 to life on hit

Well with S5 they changed the drop rate of Gifts. Last season at the end I had 16 and i only really played for the first month. This season i've already had 8 drop, 4 of which i just gave to friends.

I'm happy they changed FnR, Compass Rose Set, and Hellfire ammy to almost always roll with a socket. It was a right pain to get something like this:

Main Stat
    Crit Hit Chance 6%
    Attack Speed 4%
    3453 to life on hit
    That happens quite a lot still with the Compass Rose set(at least the ring) where it has a bunch of meh stats as well as the movement speed(which you'd ideally want to roll off in favor of something better)
    Tradushuffle
    <Echoes>
    Laughing Skull-EU

That happens quite a lot still with the Compass Rose
    Yeah nothing says fuck you more than getting a rose with :

Dex
    vit
    Allres
    LPH
    movementspeed

While we're at it, Mercy vs illidan wings? could get both at some point but not wanting to spend 120 euro when i can only use one set. Will they remove Mercy ones when OW is released or?
    Last edited by Sunnydee; 2016-05-11 at 09:50 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ulfric Trumpcloak View Post
    People on this site hate everything. Keep that in mind.