Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by kaminaris View Post
    Weak Auras - no way to raid without this.
    why don't we exaggerate a little bit?
    There is no Bad RNG just Bad LTP

Of course you can if have carries around you and doing heroics. But there is absolutely no way in hell to raid (progress) without it. Period. Good luck on Archimonde mythic when ERT did not have radar yet and we had Potm Aura for this. I do not track debuffs on it, no need for me but there are things in WA that would be impossible to progress without it. And after that It just keeps life easier, a lot.

I dont like the idea of suggesting just one addon for a specific role, but in the case of garrisons I found MasterPlan to be way ahead of anything else.
    For everything else I would say there are generally more options.

Of course you can if have carries around you and doing heroics. But there is absolutely no way in hell to raid (progress) without it. Period. Good luck on Archimonde mythic when ERT did not have radar yet and we had Potm Aura for this. I do not track debuffs on it, no need for me but there are things in WA that would be impossible to progress without it. And after that It just keeps life easier, a lot.
    Or you could consider there are other ways of tracking those.
    WeakAuras just makes it easy to distribute new stuff.
    Doesn't mean it is the best way of doing any of them, in functionality, performance or even the highly subjective stuff like method of presentation.
    "Impossible without" - no.
    Last edited by ComputerNerd; 2016-03-29 at 12:15 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    Your forgot to include the part where we blame casuals for everything because blizzard is catering to casuals when casuals got jack squat for new content the entire expansion, like new dungeons and scenarios.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reinaerd View Post
    T'is good to see there are still people valiantly putting the "Ass" in assumption.

Obviously you can write your own addon for raiding, nobody stops you from doing so. Hell, you can even hire developer for your guild to simplify progress. But. Name a guild that is in top 20 that does not use WeakAuras. I'm willing to bet a good scotch that it will be hard to find 5 guilds in top200.

Just because WA is so widely used, flexible and has a lot of ready stuff I consider it mandatory.

In order of importance to me: ElvUI, DBM, GTFO, Postal, AutoTurnIn, Altoholic (I have 11x alts on one realm, all max level, one of each class), AdvancedIconSelector (seriously, Blizzards needs to implement this.. it's small and makes finding macro icons SO much easier), Recount

For PvP: Battletargets, SaySapped

Super nice to have: MasterPlan, GarrisonMissionManager, Auctionator, TradeSkillMaster with TSM Mailing (I send all mats and most gold to one banker alt), Decursive (because when I'm on, say, my mage -- I'll forget I can decurse), Clique (for healing)

In addition, whatever combatlog tracking of the week we're using.

I don't raid anymore and I barely play... hoping Legion will be cool.

Obviously you can write your own addon for raiding, nobody stops you from doing so. Hell, you can even hire developer for your guild to simplify progress. But. Name a guild that is in top 20 that does not use WeakAuras. I'm willing to bet a good scotch that it will be hard to find 5 guilds in top200.

Just because WA is so widely used, flexible and has a lot of ready stuff I consider it mandatory.
    Mandatory means it is required.
    It being the easiest route often to a goal is what makes it that common, not it being "mandatory" or required.
    Some guilds create their own auras, using WeakAuras as a convenient means of distributing quickly.
    The more complicated ones are effectively an addon in their own right, only within another framework.
    So it is very wrong to think that players are not capable of developing the addons, just that doing so within WeakAuras has a distinct advantage.
    Last edited by ComputerNerd; 2016-03-30 at 06:08 PM.
    Your forgot to include the part where we blame casuals for everything because blizzard is catering to casuals when casuals got jack squat for new content the entire expansion, like new dungeons and scenarios.
    T'is good to see there are still people valiantly putting the "Ass" in assumption.

"Manditory?" Id say Recownt and Weekoras

Quote Originally Posted by ComputerNerd View Post
    Mandatory means it is required.
    It being the easiest route often to a goal is what makes it that common, not it being "mandatory" or required.
    Some guilds create their own auras, using WeakAuras as a convenient means of distributing quickly.
    The more complicated ones are effectively an addon in their own right, only within another framework.
    So it is very wrong to think that players are not capable of developing the addons, just that doing so within WeakAuras has a distinct advantage.
    Given the prevalence of addons, I'm not sure if there's a single mythic archimonde kill that doesn't use some form of addon to trivialize the p2 mechanic. Weakauras itself is not necessarily mandatory - but it is arguable that an addon bringing the same function as the correct auras did was.

Note this thread also says 'standard/mandatory', not just mandatory. A custom addon isn't standard.
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    which is kind of like saying "of COURSE you can't see the unicorns, unicorns are invisible, silly."

Quote Originally Posted by Raiju View Post
    Given the prevalence of addons, I'm not sure if there's a single mythic archimonde kill that doesn't use some form of addon to trivialize the p2 mechanic. Weakauras itself is not necessarily mandatory - but it is arguable that an addon bringing the same function as the correct auras did was.

Note this thread also says 'standard/mandatory', not just mandatory. A custom addon isn't standard.
    If people are going to keep using the phrases like "mandatory", "required", "forced" etc then people will rightfully come in to say that is just wrong.
    There are those who do perform to a good standard without the addons we consider so essential.
    Though I would argue that the addons are more fixing issues where the default UI falls way short of what should be "sufficient" for most users.

They aren't mandatory to play, but do vastly improve the gameplay in many cases.

If people are going to keep using the phrases like "mandatory", "required", "forced" etc then people will rightfully come in to say that is just wrong.
    Frankly you are just being argumentive. Read the original post again, s/he lists several addons that apparently s/he consider mandatory at the time s/he last played. And it's fair to use that as the yardstick by which to measure what to suggest to him/her.

There are those who do perform to a good standard without the addons we consider so essential.
    Though I would argue that the addons are more fixing issues where the default UI falls way short of what should be "sufficient" for most users.

They aren't mandatory to play, but do vastly improve the gameplay in many cases.
    Once again, give evidence to a guild doing archimonde mythic (during progress, not when they overgear it 20 ilvls and have killed it 10 times) without an addon trivializing p2 positioning for them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    which is kind of like saying "of COURSE you can't see the unicorns, unicorns are invisible, silly."

Quote Originally Posted by Raiju View Post
    Once again, give evidence to a guild doing archimonde mythic (during progress, not when they overgear it 20 ilvls and have killed it 10 times) without an addon trivializing p2 positioning for them.
    Paragon? And yes the world #2 paragon. For progress and first kill they only listed standart circular positions via angry assignments thats all (something you could even have written down on paper without any addon)

Mandatory is such a strong word. And to be honest? Mandatory is not a single add-on .. even if you're raiding you can do really fine without any bossmods. Things that are considered strong and really helpfull /making life easy? Hell there are a ton of those.

Just for the sake of the thread for me the most important out of a bigger list would be: ElvUi, DBM/Bigwigs, Weakauras, Details!, Gnosis (no better representation of channeled spells out there) - everything else is just stuff to make life easier ->> Postal, Masterplan, ExRT, ArkInventory, Tidyplates, (and so much more stuff I can't remember even from the top of my head.. I should double check the list)

Quote Originally Posted by miDnight77 View Post
    Paragon? And yes the world #2 paragon. For progress and first kill they only listed standart circular positions via angry assignments thats all (something you could even have written down on paper without any addon)
    You are wrong. How do you think the players found their positions when debuff application is (almost) completely random? Paragon used a WeakAura that assigned each player dynamically to positions on a pattern. They also used a WeakAura solution for Mark of the Legion but the point was p2.

Deleted
    dbm/bigwigs for bossmod
    iskar assist if you do hfc normal/heroic
    exorsus raid tools if you do hfc mythic

those are the things people can check if you have it or not and on occasion kick you for if theres a wipe.
    Last edited by mmoc982b0e8df8; 2016-04-04 at 04:15 PM.

Personally, I couldn't raid without DBM, Vuhdo and, as others have said, ElvUI. Would highly recommend moveanything as well, gets rid of any pesky clutter that you might have, if Elvui isn't your thing

10+ Year Old Account
    As a raider:

WeakAuras
    DBM/Bigwigs
    Exorsus Raid Tools

I think those are the most important in terms of maximizing one's performance. Beyond that, things like unit frame addons, raid frame addons, action bar addons, etc, can be quite helpful in optimizing the informational flow of your UI, but I'd deem those lower priority and much more wide open.
    That is not dead which can eternal lie.
    And with strange aeons even death may die.

Deleted
    I agree with most suggestions but I would say one of the least mandatory addons in the entire list of popular addons in the game is elvui. It does nothing one can't do with addons that do a specialized job. It is an important addon though for those that do not want to mess much with micromanaging a long list of addons.

Surprised more people aren't including GTFO on their lists. It does wonders to save me from derp moments.

"I Am Vengeance. I Am The Night. I Am Felfáádaern!"

For me here's my essential Addons:

ElvUI
    Weak Auras 2
    Exorsus Raid Tools
    Bigwigs

That's all you really need to raid. Now for QoL stuff:
    Postal
    Auction Lite
    Master Plan

As for people surprised at GTFO not being listed. I think that addon is a huge annoyance in reality. There are sometimes I need to stand in the fire for a mechanic and having it going off on me is extremely annoying.