Page 1 of 12
... LastLast

Open Carry petition for the RNC

http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2...tion?CMP=fb_gu

An online petition to allow guns into the Republican National Convention in Cleveland in July has received more than 24,000 signatures in favor of overturning the “irresponsible and hypocritical act of selecting a ‘gun-free zone’” for the party’s quadrennial gathering.

The convention will be held between 18 and 21 July at the Quicken Loans Arena, a venue with a policy that forbids “firearms and other weapons of any kind” on its grounds. Republican debate venues have also barred firearms.

The petition, posted anonymously to Change.org last week, declares the Cleveland arena’s weapons ban “a direct affront to the second amendment and puts all attendees at risk”.
    Now, I'm not making this thread to support or vilify the petition...I'm just mostly curious...Is open carry typically allowed at RNC events? Or are these people just making a stink over nothing?

Since someone is probably going to try and shoot Trump anyway, it is probably good that enough people will be able to shoot back and defend him.

Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    lol

So much for property rights.

I'm really OK with the RNC being held somewhere that allows people to carry, as well as the RNC itself allowing it.
    Well if you like that...you'll love this line from the petition itself

Without the right to protect themselves, those at the Quicken Loans Arena will be sitting ducks, utterly helpless against evil-doers, criminals or others who wish to threaten the American way of life.
    Apparently merely carrying a gun turns you into a Superhero

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Ohio is a open carry state. There are places which prohibit them however. If the place they are holding the convention at, prohibits them, then they should just forget it and attend without any firearms. I do agree it is against the Constitution, but then again, there are several places which already do in the state and hypocrisy is common with politicians.

10+ Year Old Account
    I very honestly have no answer for your direct quesiton. However, reading through the article you linked I saw this:

“Every American is endowed with a God-given constitutional right to carry a gun wherever and whenever they please,” the author writes.
    I'm pretty sure God could not care less about Americas constitution or their feelings on if they should be allowed to carry a gun or not. I know that's off topic, and I apologize, but I can't stand when people say shit like that.

I really wonder whether people signing this legitimately want their 2nd amendment rights, or just want to throw egg on the faces of the RNC for hypocrisy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    There are no 2 species that are 100% identical.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redditor
    can you leftist twits just fucking admit that quantum mechanics has fuck all to do with thermodynamics, that shit is just a pose?

10+ Year Old Account
    Not a fan of open carry, but this is basically an event for people who support open carry, so I don't see why not.

Quote Originally Posted by Knadra View Post
    Since someone is probably going to try and shoot Trump anyway, it is probably good that enough people will be able to shoot back and defend him.
    Wouldn't be surprised if someone tries to assassinate him, the man inspires epic insanity in the left; they spit, froth, tear out their hair. Wouldn't surprise me at all if one of the fanatical "oppressed" BLMs try to kill him.

Honestly, I think the man is an arrogant, naive asshat, but he's not totally in the wrong about Islam or the US being taken advantage of economically.

Quote Originally Posted by Axphism View Post
    I'm pretty sure God could not care less about Americas constitution or their feelings on if they should be allowed to carry a gun or not. I know that's off topic, and I apologize, but I can't stand when people say shit like that.
    God given right just means natural right. It is a figure of speech like when people say "act of god" instead of "natural disaster".

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Axphism View Post
    It's also a pretty significant bastardization of the second amendment:

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
    This is very different from:

“Every American is endowed with a God-given constitutional right to carry a gun wherever and whenever they please.”
    - - - Updated - - -

God given right just means natural right. It is a figure of speech like when people say "act of god" instead of "natural disaster".
    Meh, the same criticism can still be applied. God and nature do not create rights, to quote myself from another thread. It's a silly premise to begin with.

"So many gun in the same place nothing could possibly go wrong!"

10+ Year Old Account
    Hm other than jackasses blocking traffic, I dont recall many anti trump rallies having deaths or major injuries. I guess someone wants to start that now?

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeahhh I know it's fairly picky of me but it's still just one of those things that drives me nuts. We all have our oddities!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    Ohio is a open carry state. There are places which prohibit them however. If the place they are holding the convention at, prohibits them, then they should just forget it and attend without any firearms. I do agree it is against the Constitution, but then again, there are several places which already do in the state and hypocrisy is common with politicians.
    It is not a violation of the second amendment for private citizens to disallow firearms on their private property; the 2nd amendment applies to the government. There can be laws curtailing this choice in deference to the second amendment, but in these cases such restrictions are a violation of these legislative laws, not the second amendment.

I would go with no just because this is a bit different than most other places because A. There's people who would try to kill various people there and you're going to just let people walk in there with the ability to do it? B. This one particularly could be very emotional and when people get very angry people do stupid things. And having access to a gun? Probably not the best idea.
    Quote Originally Posted by Unmerciful Conker View Post
    What?! They said soon? Well you dont hear that everyday, I dont know about you guys but that has put my mind at total rest.

It would be hilarious if

1) This goes through.
    2) A firefight breaks out and lots of people die/get injured as a result.
    3) The Republicans spin it as the end of the world if guns weren't allowed to be carried on premises, when disallowing guns would have reached the ideal situation - no gunfights at all.
    "My successes are my own, but my failures are due to extremist leftist liberals" - Party of Personal Responsibility

Prediction for the future

Quote Originally Posted by PosPosPos View Post
    It would be hilarious if

2) A firefight breaks out and lots of people die/get injured as a result.
    the liberal mind

Quote Originally Posted by PosPosPos View Post
    It would be hilarious if

A firefight breaks out and lots of people die/get injured as a result.
    While not a complete surprise, quoted for future use.

This coming from the same guy who gets triggered when an American shoots a criminal who has broken into their home no less.

the liberal mind
    To gloat at people being self-defeating?

We already tried to save Republicans from their self-harming policies, whether we gloat about it or not isn't going to somehow change your minds or save you from your own self-destruction.

Also, why are you being so PC? :/
    "My successes are my own, but my failures are due to extremist leftist liberals" - Party of Personal Responsibility

Prediction for the future

the liberal mind
    No kidding. "People having guns is crazy. It is crazy for all these people to have guns"

Then goes on to post some crazy person shit. Typical pattern. Complete projection.