Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

New Phone suggestion

I've been always an iPhone owner, since iphone 3g to now
    I've always loved the simplicty and the intuitive interface of iphone, but i've grown tired of it for many reasons
    and wanted to change my phone but ive always choosen iphones, whenever i was buying a new one i was going to the store and seeing which one they had, never considering other products so i need help since im ignorant in this field:
    What are good phones that can be an iphones alternative? (Im not a fan of huge phones, i do not wanna buy a whole new pair of pants to fit them)

Really depends on a couple things, like are you on a contract? Are you looking for a new carrier?

And the thing with android phones, some have features that others dont including loud front facing speakers (biggest one imo), fingerprint readers, IR sensors to control tv, list goes on and on really.

Ill just assume you want an unlocked phone to bring to you carrier, this is the phone i purchased i think it is the best value for money:

http://www.amazon.com/ALCATEL-OneTou...el+one+touch+3

Its got loud speakers, a better than average display for the money, double tap screen to wake/sleep (love this feature, i never use power button) and its a "normal" sized phone.

Again matters what carrier you are on, this is GSM so it will work on ATT/Tmobile and the smaller carriers like cricket, it wont work on CDMA carriers like verizon or sprint.

10+ Year Old Account
    Curious why aren't you going for another iphone? If it's the size, they're releasing the iPhone SE with the same hardware as their newest one and $400 price point. >.>
    iPhones have one of the best CPU/SoC right now quite honestly with very consistent performance (barely any throttle) and low power consumption.
    Hell I'm waiting for Xperia X Performance and if that's a dud I'll probably get an iPhone quite honestly.

Otherwise, price point would be a nice information to have.

I don't think they care about CPU lol. On top of that CPU performance in phones really does not matter whatsoever. I went from a snapdragon 800 to a 410 (benches at less than 50% of a 800), i cant tell any differences even in games. This is why i never suggest buying flagship phones, either you are locked into a contract or are paying 650+ when you can get just as good of an experience spending 200 bucks or less.

10+ Year Old Account
    Better SoCs at phones make a lot of difference, so does the better displays and so does the build quality.

The A9 is indeed great and iOS is better optimized for some stuff like JS. If you want to go with Androids, stay away from SD810 devices.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fascinate View Post
    I don't think they care about CPU lol. On top of that CPU performance in phones really does not matter whatsoever. I went from a snapdragon 800 to a 410 (benches at less than 50% of a 800), i cant tell any differences even in games. This is why i never suggest buying flagship phones, either you are locked into a contract or are paying 650+ when you can get just as good of an experience spending 200 bucks or less.
    Better SoC = lower power usage and better / more consistent experience. It's not the game actually that I'm really noting granted I could've specified better.
    That's how it is for the A9 CPU/SoC for the iPhone 6S. It takes up 4.8W peak load, 2.5W average vs the Exynnos 8890 which takes up 7.16W peak load, 4.73W average. No idea about SD820, but SD810 is worse than Exynnos 8890 by about 1W~ each. It directly translates to better battery life and a not hot phone.

Stuff taken from http://www.notebookcheck.net/Samsung....160931.0.html

Battery life is very very competitive against the S7 considering 6S has a 1715mAh battery vs a 3000mAh.
    Last edited by Remilia; 2016-03-28 at 07:21 PM.

Not sure how you missed the part about me coming from a snapdragon 800 to a 410 but ya, in everyday use there is literally no difference. My old phone was the LG G2, wayyy ahead of its time it was the first phone with a SD 800. Battery was great on standby, but this alcatel WHOOPS it in video watching, were talking 3x battery life. This is due to the lower power SoC as well as 720p display (which looks great at 4.7", over 300 ppi).

I am thinking neither of you have used a phone with a midrange SoC like a 410, at least that is what your comments suggest. Another large plus is midrange SoC's dont get hot, like ever. It is always cool no matter what you do on your phone.

Just to get an idea, i can get over 8 hours of screen on time watching twitch how many flagships can pull that off....im thinking none or maybe a couple.
    Last edited by Fascinate; 2016-03-28 at 07:25 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fascinate View Post
    Not sure how you missed the part about me coming from a snapdragon 800 to a 410 but ya, in everyday use there is literally no difference. My old phone was the LG G2, wayyy ahead of its time it was the first phone with a SD 800. Battery was great on standby, but this alcatel WHOOPS it in video watching, were talking 3x battery life. This is due to the lower power SoC as well as 720p display (which looks great at 4.7", over 300 ppi).

I am thinking neither of you have used a phone with a midrange SoC like a 410, at least that is what your comments suggest. Another large plus is midrange SoC's dont get hot, like ever. It is always cool no matter what you do on your phone.

Just to get an idea, i can get over 8 hours of screen on time watching twitch how many flagships can pull that off....im thinking none or maybe a couple.
    http://www.notebookcheck.net/Apple-i....151376.0.html
    H.264, 714 minutes.
    Wi-Fi, 513 minutes.
    On a 1920x1080 display.

It's a fact that these perform better and have great battery life. I don't care about how you feel about the difference. It's the data that proves it wrong.

Think there is a bit of a disconnect here, i was never speaking to iphones ive never used one. I was particularly talking about android flagships vs mid rangers. Just trying to get the point across that you dont need to spend 650+ bucks to get a solid experience, and a sub 200 dollar android (and sometimes, depending on usage can be better) can be a great choice.

10+ Year Old Account
    Also the higher resolutions displays make a difference because when you're looking at a phone you're generally looking at it very close to your eyes.

That's a photo I took from a Galaxy S3 that has a 720p 4.8" display, you can easily see the subpixels.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm waiting for the HTC M10, personally.
    Quote Originally Posted by wombinator04 View Post
    $6 for a game made in 1993? If it was free then maybe I would buy it instead of pirating it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Artorius View Post
    Ahh the pentile, kill it. Really easy to tell it's pentile too...

Deleted
    Had some problems with a change of password and account information and haven't really received help to fix it throught the recovering procedures,so whenever there is an update i just skip that part that ask itunes login settings;
    also the itunes program on pc is terrible and opposite from iphone normal easy interface,i found that every update they did to it made it harder and had to struggle every time to figure out how to work it out untill i cba to do it again, which is why now that my iphones microphone broke that im tempted to choose something that isnt an iphone.
    The problem with changing is that i've seen my friend having phone that were not iphones like samsung s... and trying them i felt they had so many options that complicates the whole device, i guess that looks overwhelming to me being used to iphones easy interface and its a problem that i will overcome after one day that i get my hands on it, but the fact that i'll be using android which i don't know anything about kinda push me back to the core idea of getting an iphone. Was wondering what other good phones are out there beside the well known samsung ones, and also if there are other Operating Systems beside android and iOS

Price wise id say i can spend as much as id spend on an iphone, hope it helps.

Update: searching around i found Huawei mate 8 (i believe is the newest one) quiet intresting.
    Last edited by mmoc08ba0ac6b2; 2016-03-28 at 08:40 PM.

Ill wait for the OP to answer some of the questions before i make any suggestion, but FWIW, ive always been more satisfied with Android (at least a clean android build, or very lightweight one like Cyanogen) on phones than iOS. But iOS is far better on tablets.

Problem is some of the very best phones come with garbage-filled, bloated Android builds - the Galaxy S7 is a great oiece ofmhardware, but Samsung's shit-sandwhich TouchWhiz bogs the damn thing down like a pig in.a wallow - every review has noted that is stutters and slows down when simply paging between home screens or oppening the app switcher. And its full of shitty Samsung versions of much better basic Google software that you cant even remove.

7+ Year Old Account
    I would recommend NOT getting a carrier branded phone. Carriers are getting more and more ridiculous in the US in locking down phones, and basically turning them into rentals. Get an international unlocked phone from amazon, or (in some cases like HTC), the manufacturer's site, and get hooked up with a GSM carrier. You won't be tied into a contract, and the carrier will have zero control over the software on your phone. T-mobile even has a great "bring your own phone" deal where you pay less per month than someone on a contract.

As for phones, right now I would recommend the HTC One M9 (almost a year old now but you can get great deals on amazon as a result, and it's still a great phone), or the Galaxy S7 (cutting edge, really awesome since they restored the MicroSD slot). With HTC I recommend the "developer edition" as it is completely unlocked, and bootloader unlocked, out of the box, and it doesn't cost any more. Either way, with an unlocked phone you are free to (easily) root it and remove the bloatware, or just go in and disable all the bloatware and use an alternate launcher (I use Nova Launcher).
    Last edited by Stormspark; 2016-03-28 at 08:17 PM.

Its difficult to recommend an android phone because there are so many. There are some that you could love and some that you could hate. The differences between most/all of them is what makes them so great, but also why some people try one android phone and love or hate them. I would take rate how important some things are so we can better recommend you a phone.

Organize these in order of importance:

Expandable Storage
    2560x1440 display
    Amoled display
    LCD display
    Stock android experience
    Modded android experience (like Samsung's touchwiz).
    Removable battery
    Budget non-contract phone
    Expensive on-contract phone
    Accessories availability
    "smoothness" of the UI
    Battery life
    Camera quality
    :::: AMD Ryzen 7 7800x3d w/ NZXT Kraken Elite 240
    :::: MSI Meg X670E Tomahawk
    :::: 32gb G.Skill Trident Z5 6000mt/s CL36 DDR5
    :::: Samsung 512gb 960 PRO m.2 nvme ssd (OS), Samsung 1TB 950 EVO ssd
    :::: Nvidia RTX 3090 Founders Edition
    :::: Windows 11 Pro

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Remilia View Post
    Ahh the pentile, kill it. Really easy to tell it's pentile too...
    Specially at the text or the red part of the Gmail's icon lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Evermaw View Post
    Had some problems with a change of password and account information and haven't really received help to fix it throught the recovering procedures,so whenever there is an update i just skip that part that ask itunes login settings;
    also the itunes program on pc is terrible and opposite from iphone normal easy interface,i found that every update they did to it made it harder and had to struggle every time to figure out how to work it out untill i cba to do it again, which is why now that my iphones microphone broke that im tempted to choose something that isnt an iphone.
    The problem with changing is that i've seen my friend having phone that were not iphones like samsung s... and trying them i felt they had so many options that complicates the whole device, i guess that looks overwhelming to me being used to iphones easy interface and its a problem that i will overcome after one day that i get my hands on it, but the fact that i'll be using android which i don't know anything about kinda push me back to the core idea of getting an iphone. Was wondering what other good phones are out there beside the well known samsung ones, and also if there are other Operating Systems beside android and iOS

Price wise id say i can spend as much as id spend on an iphone, hope it helps.

Update: searching around i found Huawei mate 8 (i believe is the newest one) quiet intresting.
    There really isn't an alternative to android or iOS. There are alternatives like windows or blackberry but those aren't as well developed nor popular. Stay with iOS if you want the simplicity and polished app ecosystem or go android for more customizability. Btw Huawei is an android phone. I wouldn't go the Huawei route. If you really want an android phone, I recommend Samsung/htc/lg flagship phones.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Artorius View Post
    Specially at the text or the red part of the Gmail's icon lol.
    Kill it with fire nukes!

10+ Year Old Account
    Android phone buying is difficult.

Do you like spending money?
    Yes -> Samsung Galaxy S"insert #"
    No?

Do you want a physical keyboard?
    Yes -> BlackBerry Priv
    No?

Do you have a hard on for Google?
    Yes -> Nexus "insert #"
    No?

Do you like CyanogenMod?
    Yes -> OnePlus One
    No?

From that point on it really becomes a selection fest of phones. The cheaper you go for Android, the more choices you have.