Deleted

Summoner - i am disappointed

So i finally unlocked the Summoner job and i am disappointed.

As an arcanist i had spells like Aero, protect from conjurer ; Mercy Stroke from Marauder.

I had fun having 2 instant dots. I had a blast.

Now i only have 2 cross classes, as an arcanist i had 7.

WTF do you take them from me.

It really shocked me in the bad sense.

Why give so many options and then take them out.
    I really hate that.

That's not unique to summoner; every job runs into that.

That said, summoner will net you additional abilities that more than make up for the loss of those other cross class skills. Not to mention you end up limited to 5 cross class skills anyway, so in the end, you end up with more buttons to press.

It's really noticeable right when you hit 30 since you lose a lot and gain very little. It's worth noting you don't have to level as your job. Your experience is given to the base class, or arcanist for you. You could take the job stone off until you get more of the summoner specific abilities. You'll need to job stone once you get higher as you'll want to use the job-specific abilities, but if you want to be just an arcanist for now you can.

In the long run you won't miss most of the cross-class abilities.

Quote Originally Posted by Treeba View Post
    It's really noticeable right when you hit 30 since you lose a lot and gain very little. It's worth noting you don't have to level as your job. Your experience is given to the base class, or arcanist for you. You could take the job stone off until you get more of the summoner specific abilities. You'll need to job stone once you get higher as you'll want to use the job-specific abilities, but if you want to be just an arcanist for now you can.

In the long run you won't miss most of the cross-class abilities.
    That's precisely what quite a few folks do. They dont use the job till XX level when the job gets Y ability that makes it worth losing the extra cross class skills. It's not an unreasonable way to level.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    And slowly but surely the playdough figurine egis will replace the carbies ...

Jobs are indispensable though thanks to the stat boost and it's only a matter of time before you get Job abilities to make up for the cross-class ones you lost. Classes are pretty much worthless at level cap.

Kind of sucks too if you liked the class lore and wish the storyline will continue.
    Internet forums are more for circlejerking (patting each other on the back) than actual discussion (exchange and analysis of information and points of view). Took me long enough to realise ...

Quote Originally Posted by SodiumChloride View Post
    And slowly but surely the playdough figurine egis will replace the carbies ...

Jobs are indispensable though thanks to the stat boost and it's only a matter of time before you get Job abilities to make up for the cross-class ones you lost. Classes are pretty much worthless at level cap.

Kind of sucks too if you liked the class lore and wish the storyline will continue.
    We'll be getting Egi Glamour soon (though only one per patch) as Yoshi-P mentioned in the last live letter.

For Summoner vs. Arcanist, Arcanist is actually pretty even (and I think possibly remains ahead in terms of DPS) with Summoner at level 50. You really don't get much from the Summoner now that the ability to apply all three DoTs has been pushed back.

I will agree with the last statement for some classes/jobs (especially summoner and scholar compared to Arcanist). The only class that I've gotten to 60 so far has been Warrior which actually did a REALLY good job of transitioning from Marauder to Warrior at level 30, expanded the lore of Warrior from 30-50, and then you get to work with Marauders a lot more from 50-60. So, there are jobs that actually expand the base class lore as much as the job does for the class's gameplay.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fadewind View Post
    For Summoner vs. Arcanist, Arcanist is actually pretty even (and I think possibly remains ahead in terms of DPS) with Summoner at level 50. You really don't get much from the Summoner now that the ability to apply all three DoTs has been pushed back.
    At level 60, it's no contest.

I can't even clear the Sky, Stone, Sea: Basic Training trial as ACN playing nigh perfectly but clear it no problem as SMN even while making a few mistakes.
    Internet forums are more for circlejerking (patting each other on the back) than actual discussion (exchange and analysis of information and points of view). Took me long enough to realise ...

Quote Originally Posted by SodiumChloride View Post
    At level 60, it's no contest.

I can't even clear the Sky, Stone, Sea: Basic Training trial as ACN playing nigh perfectly but clear it no problem as SMN even while making a few mistakes.
    I did say level 50, not 60. The level 50+ abilities do make SMN worth it. I know 60 is the highest level, but you will spend a good chunk of time at level 50 doing MSQ's until you can reach the expansion content.

Quote Originally Posted by Fadewind View Post
    We'll be getting Egi Glamour soon (though only one per patch) as Yoshi-P mentioned in the last live letter.
    I'm more afraid it'll be something for sale from an Alchemist or something. IE: it'll cost 1.5 million gil on my server minimum

This may be a late post but you are probably 60 already by now, so welcome to the TRUE end game for summoners.

The end game for FFXIV is glamour.

The end game for FFXIV summoners...... is to grow another hand to press all them buttons.

Quote Originally Posted by Kazela View Post
    That's not unique to summoner; every job runs into that.
    This. Once you choose any job you drop from many cross classes to two. This may be a good thing, later you'll wish you had less abilities :P

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ferrair View Post
    The end game for FFXIV is glamour.
    OMG! FFXIV is P2W!!!

/jk ... kind of ... depending on how seriously said assertion being replied to is taken.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrair View Post
    The end game for FFXIV summoners...... is to grow another hand to press all them buttons.
    This is why I click!

Being on the hate. :3

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by HAcoreRD View Post
    I'm more afraid it'll be something for sale from an Alchemist or something. IE: it'll cost 1.5 million gil on my server minimum
    Lv 60 ALC. /flex

I doubt it though. It will be a system feature, it will either be cheap or free - heck they might just reuse the prisms if they are lazy.

Quote Originally Posted by zorkuus View Post
    This. Once you choose any job you drop from many cross classes to two. This may be a good thing, later you'll wish you had less abilities :P
    No shit. Having just dinged 60 on SMN a week and change ago, I've got 3 full bars of binds bound.

Even funnier: SCH has even more buttons. o.o

We used to have Thunder as a cross-class spell, but it got removed due to "balance".

I have a question. Since Summoner and Scholar are both tied to Arcanist, does that mean both jobs level at the same time as well? Or does one branch off into a separate level?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Fuubakusatsu View Post
    We used to have Thunder as a cross-class spell, but it got removed due to "balance".
    Don't you have enough DOTs anyway as an aracnist/summoner?

Quote Originally Posted by Florena Emberlin View Post
    I have a question. Since Summoner and Scholar are both tied to Arcanist, does that mean both jobs level at the same time as well? Or does one branch off into a separate level?
    Jobs don't level at all really, they both use the level of the associated Class. So yes, when you play as SCH and level ACN gains a level. When you switch to SMN it uses the ACN level, so yes, they both basically level at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by Lathais View Post
    Jobs don't level at all really, they both use the level of the associated Class. So yes, when you play as SCH and level ACN gains a level. When you switch to SMN it uses the ACN level, so yes, they both basically level at the same time.
    Cool. Wasn't sure how that worked since all other jobs are one to one, or have no class at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Florena Emberlin View Post

- - - Updated - - -

Don't you have enough DOTs anyway as an aracnist/summoner?
    5 was a good number imo.

Quote Originally Posted by zorkuus View Post
    this ^^ so many buttons as summoner.