Page 1 of 3
LastLast

What's your preferred class and/or job(s)?

DPS: BLM. I do have SMN as 60 also, and they share gear (minus weapon), but BLM is my bread and butter. Making things explode with Fire 4 and/or Flare never gets old.

Tank: Leveled them all together, more or less, and after much gnashing of teeth over which one to go forward with gearing wise, I've opted for DRK. I like the overall toolkit a bit more. Having a placeable aoe as well as a gap closer that's off gcd? Yes, please. WAR would be my choice if left between it and PLD. Funny enough, though, I can safely say I enjoy all of the tanks and their nuances.

Healer: Honestly haven't played healer much in this game in terms of actual relevant group content. SCH was dragged to 60 by leveling SMN, while WHM and AST are at 52 currently. Oddly enough, I find WHM the most satisfying due to smacking people with big ass rocks a la SWTOR Jedi Sages and for having the mother of all aoe stuns with Holy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Heal turret!

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm still working on my jobs, so I'm not completely sure how they'll play at level cap but I'll answer based on the levels I've reached.

Melee-DPS: Ninja.
    Ranged-DPS: Machinist.

Tank: Currently only Paladin at max level out of tanks, but working on Dark Knight (37) and finding it quite interesting to play - will see if it'll replace or co-exist with Paladin once I reach level cap.

Healer: Currently only White Mage at level cap, working on Astrologian (50) - both are fun to play. Scholar (56) would be quite high on the list, but I prefer to only control one character, so it's out of the question.

Melee DPS: NIN
    Ranged DPS: SMN
    Healer: AST
    Tank: DRK

NIN, MCH, SCH, DRK.

Started ARR as BLM wanting to play a traditional FF mage, got a cataclysm era balance druid instead and dropped it when ninja was vastly more fun to play as.

Tank: I've gone back to my WAR and remembered how much I love it. (Also helps to be familiar with how the controller plays...sorta.) I've tried DRK and...I just can't get into it. At least, not at the early levels with the lack of CDs. GLD is just....eeeeh. At least for AoE aggro.

Melee: I prefer MNK vastly over DRG. While I really enjoy the aesthetic and spear, I *HATE* the jump mechanic. I'm sure it's much, much easier once you learn the fights and know when not to jump, but that's not consolation for learning. This is the first MMO I felt like hit the nail on the head for a martial arts DPS class. (Plus the option to have no visible weapons is a huge bonus.) My main complaint about the job is just when certain abilities unlock (mostly Dragon Kick and Form Shift).

Ranged: I have a SMN and BLM up to level 50. Really, for these levels, I don't feel a huge difference in terms of which one i like more. They both fill their niches very well in terms of the magic users. I like both niches as well as they do have interesting mechanics.

Healer: I've only played SCH. It was hectic, but I did enjoy the huge twist on playing a healer. (or at least what I felt was a huge twist.) I want to try out WHM to test a normal style of healing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Probably laying somewhere frozen and cold.
    Ranged DPS: Definitely Summoner, have way too much fun spreading dots and death flare!!

Melee DPS: I've loved Ninja and the mudra system since its inception. Such a fun mechanic.

Tank: With Heavensward, Paladin has become my new favorite. Clemency and Divine Veil are fantastic.

Healer: This is a tough one. I'm loving the changes they made to Scholar, but the damage White Mages put out is still crazy. I'd say Scholar for actually healing, but White Mage for anything that isn't the bleeding edge of content, where I can easily dps.
    There are no worse scum in this world than fascists, rebels and political hypocrites.
    Donald Trump is only like Hitler because of the fact he's losing this war on all fronts.
    Apparently condemning a fascist ideology is the same as being fascist. And who the fuck are you to say I can't be fascist against fascist ideologies?
    If merit was the only dividing factor in the human race, then everyone on Earth would be pretty damn equal.

Not that I hate melee dps or anything; the only one I have even close to cap is DRG, at 58, which is quite fun. I still intend to bring MNK up, though. I figure it should be the "feature class" in the event we go to Ala Mhigo for next expansion or whenever. Plus punching and kicking the shit out of stuff is fun.

Right now, MNK is at 35, with NIN and MCH at 30. BRD is at 52, but seeing how I already have the other ranged dps leveled up, BRD has taken a backseat for some time.

currently my choices are limited as I don't have many max level classes...

My preferred class to do new dungeons/raids/trials on is as heals playing my AST.

Questing/Dailies/MSQ or when I want to do something a bit different i'll play my SMN as DPS.

I don't have a max level tank but I am working on getting a DRK up and my highest level melee is MNK but if I were to DPS I would rather go in as SMN.

Warrior. I did Dark Knight through most of Gordias Savage, and then switched to Warrior for Thordan and then going into Midas, mostly due to the damage and the abilities/cooldowns warrior brings.

Thematically and animation-wise Dark Knight is great, and I would be tempted to switch to it for Nidhogg Ex, but we still want a Warrior in our comp, so our Paladin switches over.

As far as DPS, either DRG or BRD if I don't feel like tanking. Healing? I leave that to the professionals.

15+ Year Old Account
    Melee DPS: MNK/NIN are tied

Ranged DPS: SMN I've always loved pet classes (still wish we had FFXI summons the egis are kinda boring heck i'd even take emerald/topaz carbuncle over garuda/titan egis)

Healer: Scholar I guess because its the only one I have above 30 thanks to summoner

Tank: Probably paladin I've always liked sword and board.
    Last edited by Gutler; 2016-06-14 at 01:21 PM.

Sig by Elyssia "When you do things right people won't be sure you've done anything at all"

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiaron View Post
    Although it seems unpopular: DRG
    Can someone tell me where all the hate against DRG (also ingame) comes from? Not playing the game for too long.
    It basically stems from back in FFXI when dragoons were one of the weakest classes and in FFXIV in a lot of fights due to animation lock of jumps dragoons tended to eat the floor a lot.

Sig by Elyssia "When you do things right people won't be sure you've done anything at all"

10+ Year Old Account
    Since I've been strictly melee in MMOs for 15+ years, I try to stick to 1-3 types and then throw in a ranged for fun. I wont ever level every class (nor will i tank or heal) in this game so I stick to what I think will be fun.

Monk - main (but may switch to that to Dragoon)

Dragoon - Pretty damn fun and wasn't expecting more keybinds than my monk, lol.

Machinist - Will probably be the only ranged dps I ever play in this game barring a multi-class Red Mage if they ever try that.

I'll also level another 2-hand weapon DPS if they ever introduce more but I'm not going to get too out of hand like I did in WoW/TERA/GW2 (leveling damn near every class in each game).
    Tikki tikki tembo, Usagi no Yojimbo, chari bari ruchi pip peri pembo!

Can someone tell me where all the hate against DRG (also ingame) comes from? Not playing the game for too long.
    The class has a silly stigma of being the "floor tank", due to the propensity for people to get killed by aoe or whatever because they were locked in the jump animation. My friend (who mains DRG) often pokes fun at the whole thing.

Don't let haters discourage you. DRG is a fun class to play, and it's capable of good dps. Later on, they get a really nice group cooldown, Battle Litany (15% crit increase for 20 seconds), giving them very nice group utility.

The animation lock on jumps has certainly killed it's fair share of Dragoons. Right now though, they are in a really good spot if raiding is your cup of tea. With Disembowel strengthening the damage of themselves as well as the groups' Bard or Machinist, and the ever so strong Battle Litany, most raid groups will want a Dragoon.

As others have said, it's not DRG's as a class it's bad DRG's. They're the FFXIV equivalent of the WoW Huntard. LOTS of players play them, and a greatmany of them don't do it well and end up dead because of the jump animation lock causing them to eat AoEs or other mechanics.

Quote Originally Posted by Turbotef View Post
    Since I've been strictly melee in MMOs for 15+ years, I try to stick to 1-3 types and then throw in a ranged for fun. I wont ever level every class (nor will i tank or heal) in this game so I stick to what I think will be fun.
    Then there's the likes of yours truly, who has had every class at level cap in WoW (at various points), GW2, and eventually this game. o.o

I absolutely won't have them all in the tip-top best gear, though. As alluded to in my original post, I'll end up focusing on one of each trinity role, with classes of choice being BLM, DRK, and WHM. Currently, though, if asked if any one class is my main class, it's BLM.

I do intend to try and have close to if not BiS gear for DoH/DoL classes, though. Don't want to have face the gear gap slog at the start of 4.0 like I did when I hit 50 on all DoH/DoL a few weeks ago (you face a steep increase in requirements to make gear for 51 if you didn't have really good gear coming from ARR).
    Last edited by Kazgrel; 2016-06-14 at 02:50 PM.

Have to admit, I am one of these guys, thought it was only me.:-/ Doesn't happen very often (mostly on fights I have no practice in), but that's not the DRG's fault I think. Perhaps SE finds a way to make the animation lockout less annoying...although I have little hopes on that.
    If you haven't died at least once due to jump animation lock, you haven't played DRG properly.

I'm absolutely guilty of it myself. I think my favorite one, though, was a FC buddy who was in the middle of LB animation on the last boss of Lost City of Amdapor HM. It managed to get Cure 4 off right as the LB animation finished, and both the boss and my buddy exploded.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kazela View Post
    Then there's the likes of yours truly, who has had every class at level cap in WoW (at various points), GW2, and eventually this game. o.o

I absolutely won't have them all in the tip-top best gear, though. As alluded to in my original post, I'll end up focusing on one of each trinity role, with classes of choice being BLM, DRK, and WHM. Currently, though, if asked if any one class is my main class, it's BLM.

I do intend to try and have close to if not BiS gear for DoH/DoL classes, though. Don't want to have face the gear gap slog at the start of 4.0 like I did when I hit 50 on all DoH/DoL a few weeks ago (you face a steep increase in requirements to make gear for 51 if you didn't have really good gear coming from ARR).
    Yeah, I will eventually have those all leveled up at some before the next expansion but I still don't group when with the traditional trinity classes so they don't count towards my usual preferences. :P

Reason why i don't want to play Legion but still looks fun and I want to. FFXIV (and TERA) still offer me enough fun and I still barely touched FFXIV. Plus Deep Dungeon and another major patch will be out in 2-4 months.
    Tikki tikki tembo, Usagi no Yojimbo, chari bari ruchi pip peri pembo!

Quote Originally Posted by Turbotef View Post
    Yeah, I will eventually have those all leveled up at some before the next expansion but I still don't group when with the traditional trinity classes so they don't count towards my usual preferences. :P

Reason why i don't want to play Legion but still looks fun and I want to. FFXIV (and TERA) still offer me enough fun and I still barely touched FFXIV. Plus Deep Dungeon and another major patch will be out in 2-4 months.
    WoD has left me with a very bitter taste in regard to WoW. Combine that with how this game provides so much stuff to do on any given day and I have no reason at all to bother with Legion. As I said to my RL friend (who also plays), sometimes I hate this game because there's so much stuff to do.

More on topic, I got to thinking of specifics as to why I've singled out certain classes:

BLM: the more straightforward, typical caster. Wields elemental magics. With Heavensward, the addition of Fire 4 to go along with Flare cemented the class as my dps of choice, since I pretty much spend my time making things explode.

DRK: This was a hard choice. If I stopped at level 50 as a cap, I would've favored WAR. But the additional skills from 50-60 for DRK pushed it to the top, namely Salted Earth and Plunge. Abyssal Drain being a powerful (albeit expensive mp wise) heal. Sniping near dead mobs and/or adds with sole survivor for an extra bit of healing. C&S working as either burst dps or mp recovery. Sure, WAR got the dps tools needed to make it the de-facto off tank, but I like the variety of stuff DRK got. PLD got even more defensive abilities...wtb an aoe damage dealer that isn't on a cd.

WHM: Healer with a staff. Plus throwing stones reminds me of SWTOR Jedi Sage that I played for a bit. Holy being one of the most handy spells in the game.