Page 30 of 67 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vyxn View Post
    so according to your ignorant logic it is better for one making 20k a year to start making 25K a year with another making 100k a year looses pay and now is making 90k
    then the one the one making 20k starts making 30k and the one that makes 100k now is making 12Ok
    because the first closes the inequality gap and the second widens it

wealth inequity is hollow propaganda rhetoric which its only purpose is to cause class warfare so to advance a leftist political agenda
    Your examples don't make any sense. We're talking about wealth distribution, not wealth creation. You can't just unilaterally increase the wealth of everyone, like you're trying to with your second "option". We could just declare that dollars have half the value they currently do, and pay everyone twice as much, and in doing so change precisely nothing. You need to change the distribution, or you're just changing the scale of reference, not actually addressing the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Vyxn View Post
    wealth inequity is hollow propaganda rhetoric which its only purpose is to cause class warfare so to advance a leftist political agenda
    Must hurt that you've no one to vote for in the coming presidential election...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Taftvalue View Post
    rip small businesses
    Small businesses will benefit. This is all money that will be spent. Spent in small businesses too.
    "Do you think man will ever walk on the sun? -Ali G

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellhound View Post
    It is fine to be on welfare, so long as you actually are working.

Oh, and Millenials are generally less industreous and bigger whiners than the other people I have worked with.
    Probably because, as a result of the economy, they've had to work harder and deal with more shit than any other generation currently working to see less results, and are disillusioned that "hard work" will get them anywhere. You are aware that millennials make less at every stage of life than their preceding generations have, right?
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

Quote Originally Posted by Joresh View Post
    You do realize this means they will raise their prices. You can't be stupid enough to think McDonalds is going to willingly take a cut in their profits can you?
    If McDonalds could get away with raising their prices they would have done so already.

10+ Year Old Account
    Good for California. More states should follow and raise their minimum wage.
    "The Russians can't beat us at anything--they can't even feed themselves." Woody Hayes

Quote Originally Posted by Jotaux View Post
    If McDonalds could get away with raising their prices they would have done so already.
    They can get away with it, and they do raise their prices. Faster than the rate of inflation in fact. When I first started adulting, you could get an extra value meal at McDonalds for roughly 5 dollars after tax. That inflation adjusted amount today is 6.60. Meanwhile the value meal now is around 9-10 dollars after tax.

Meanwhile the minimum wage has stayed relatively even with inflation over that same period. And yet the McDonalds' seem more under staffed than ever before.

So basically, they are greedy fucks, and don't deserve a political platform because they are lying out their teeth and abusing the living fuck out of it.

Quote Originally Posted by The Batman View Post
    You are aware that millennials make less at every stage of life than their preceding generations have, right?
    How in the world could you know this? The oldest millennials are 30 years old. Declaring that they'll definitely make less at age 60 than previous generations seems more than a little premature. Declaring that 16 year olds will earn less at every stage of their life is definitely premature.

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    How in the world could you know this? The oldest millennials are 30 years old. Declaring that they'll definitely make less at age 60 than previous generations seems more than a little premature. Declaring that 16 year olds will earn less at every stage of their life is definitely premature.
    I make about what my dad was making when he was the same age. Doing roughly the same caliber of work. So adjusted to inflation I've taken about a 1/3rd paycut over his generation.

And since people defend the fuck out of the status quo, I'm going to guess it won't get better for the next generation. There is literally zero logical reason to come to the conclusion that things will change. It does not logically follow.

Quote Originally Posted by Gheld View Post
    I make about what my dad was making when he was the same age. Doing roughly the same caliber of work. So adjusted to inflation I've taken about a 1/3rd paycut over his generation.
    Well, that proves it I guess
    And since people defend the fuck out of the status quo, I'm going to guess it won't get better for the next generation. There is literally zero logical reason to come to the conclusion that things will change. It does not logically follow.
    Changes in technology and education have radically shifted opportunities and income. This has resulted in big winners and losers, but it's far from obvious what the total net median outcome will be.

Annual wage increases rarely equal inflation rates. The gap becomes larger and larger every year.
    A single income in the 60s was all that was needed to for a family to have the "American Dream®"
    Now it takes at least two incomes just to keep a family from drowning.
    In another generation I suppose a family will have to pimp the children or something.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    Annual wage increases rarely equal inflation rates. The gap becomes larger and larger every year.
    A single income in the 60s was all that was needed to for a family to have the "American Dream®"
    Now it takes at least two incomes just to keep a family from drowning.
    In another generation I suppose a family will have to pimp the children or something.
    Don't worry, that's why right wing economists have the median household income statistic. By factoring out number of incomes per household they can make it look like wages have gone up by ignoring the fact that the number of single income homes has declined and that people are moving out later and thus the rise of offspring contribution to household income.

Don't worry, that's why right wing economists have the median household income statistic. By factoring out number of incomes per household they can make it look like wages have gone up by ignoring the fact that the number of single income homes has declined and that people are moving out later and thus the rise of offspring contribution to household income.
    This is pretty much the opposite of the actual demographic trends. Household size has shrank over time. Looking at median individual income paints a rosier picture than median household income.

Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    I started working at age 15 bagging groceries for $2.85 an hour. I then worked my way up. I didnt start out at $10 bucks an hour and go out an buy a house and new car at 18
    Which doesn't in any way shape or form negate what I have said. Boomers when they were young worked much shorter hours for incomes that enabled them to support two people on that one wage. Millennials are in fact on track to be poorer than their parents at every stage of their lives despite being more educated, working longer, working harder, and having two people per family working. The data is irrefutable on this point.

So in essence here we have you, a selfish boomer, criticizing millennials as being selfish for wanting to have the same (not better) opportunities as their parents generation despite being more educated, working harder and longer, and having two people per family unit working.. Pray tell how does that work?

No it is extremely obvious the selfish generation are the boomers. It is also extremely obvious to everyone that they simply don't want their children to have this because they fear it may reduce their SS entitlements as more will need to be spent on the young, so instead they call their own children lazy and selfish. And honestly what could be more selfish and self-centered than knowingly impoverishing your own children and being perfectly fine with doing it?

No, they are pretty fucked. Birth rates are dropping, at least in Canada. Those under 16 will have to fight for jobs due to technology and a declining demand for jobs. Plus with people over 65 being a larger population, they will have to bow down and deal with it. Sucks to be them.

I can't afford children, nor would I have children even if I could afford it. I believe they are fucked, even my 14 year old niece stands little chance of a decent chance at a good life. Her brothers stand no chance. (7 and 3)

15+ Year Old Account
    At the stages they've been through so far. I figured that was apparent from what I was saying, but apparently not.

Unless we receive some huge economic boost, millennials are slated to be the first generation that is worse off than their parents were.

- - - Updated - - -

This is pretty much the opposite of the actual demographic trends. Household size has shrank over time. Looking at median individual income paints a rosier picture than median household income.
    http://www.pewsocialtrends.org/2015/07/29/more-millennials-living-with-family-despite-improved-job-market/
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

That rosier picture becomes a lot darker when you realize you can't possible raise a family on that income.

Quote Originally Posted by Ayla View Post
    No, they are pretty fucked. Birth rates are dropping, at least in Canada. Those under 16 will have to fight for jobs due to technology and a declining demand for jobs. Plus with people over 65 being a larger population, they will have to bow down and deal with it. Sucks to be them.

I can't afford children, nor would I have children even if I could afford it. I believe they are fucked, even my 14 year old niece stands little chance of a decent chance at a good life.
    Yeah, the sky was falling when they invented the cotton gin too.

- - - Updated - - -

At the stages they've been through so far. I figured that was apparent from what I was saying, but apparently not.

Unless we receive some huge economic boost, millennials are slated to be the first generation that is worse off than their parents were.
    I mean, the data we've got is so thin that I can't really imagine how you can make that claim. If you think the future of the economy is this obvious, this set in stone for people that haven't even begun to work yet, you're a fuckin' genius of prognostication and I suggest invest according to whatever the obvious outcomes are.

http://www.pewsocialtrends.org/2015/07/29/more-millennials-living-with-family-despite-improved-job-market/
    This is one stat among many - the overall trend is a decrease in household size, not an increase.

Bloodsail Admiral
    7+ Year Old Account
    Probably based on benchmarks from 18 years old to around 30?

Yeah, the sky was falling when they invented the cotton gin too.

The sky is never falling when I can stand on the support of our children! Suckers!

Edit: or use them as umbrellas because you know, falling debris and shit