Page 42 of 67 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    There will always be better jobs as other people are promoted or retire
    The simple reality that you're ignoring is that unemployment is non-trivial, meaning that the glut of available jobs you're talking about literally does not exist.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bighud44 View Post
    A new military serviceman or servicewoman make less than $9 a hr? Will you be will to pay a higher tax so that they can earn $15 in the entry level job?
    As a Navy veteran I can tell you that although on paper it seems servicemen and women are underpaid, there are many benefits that make up for it. They dont pay for housing or food (They either live on base and eat in dining hall, or they live off base and receive a housing and food stipend), they have free healthcare, and if they are stationed in a combat zone their pay is untaxed. They are paid more than the equivalent of $15/hour and as you rank up you get more and more money

Question of pure ignorance:
    is a 15$/hour a good minimun wage?
    here in my country we have a 3-4$/hour but many things are cheaper (like housing)
    Forgive my english, as i'm not a native speaker

Its called working your way up the food chain. Everyone should start at the bottom. It also teaches responsibility and money management when you dont have a lot

Incorrect. Your assumption is that there is a chain of promotion that works on a one for one basis. What kind of job gives that? For example, assume that an airport requires 100 baggage handlers. Are there 100 supervisors? 100 Managers above those? No, there isn't.

Even if everybody works equally hard, only a few will actually get any form of promotion. The large majority of the people are more or less stuck where they are.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shamburger View Post
    I know this isn't the argument you were trying to make but lets be real. This gentleman could not find another fulltime job for equal or better pay for 5 consecutive years?

Like we're both from Ontario and though we're talking about america here you're actually telling me there are NO fulltime minimum wage jobs in the states?

In that case he should have quit and collected unemployment. It pays better than $8 in the states from what I've read.

I don't live in this rose coloured glasses world you and Endus accuse me of. Not being able to find a new (sub minimum-wage) job in 5 years is just lazy, regardless of where you live.
    You cant get unemployment if you quit or get fired unless its due to a hostile work environment. Most companies will fight it since they pay for a portion of it

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    The simple reality that you're ignoring is that unemployment is non-trivial, meaning that the glut of available jobs you're talking about literally does not exist.
    I know ill get infacted for saying this but we all know Orlong is trolling. The reality in his head isn't the real reality we all have to live with. The Average rent in the US for a Apartment (1 bedroom) Outside of City Centre is 896.05$ and Inside City Centre is 1,193.99$.
    http://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living...=United+States

Minimum wage right now is $7.25 working 40hours a week before tax's nets someone $1160 a month. How people think Minimum wage is liveable is byound me. Now I am sure someone will go (Well I see Apartments for $400-$500) and thats great so have I. If everyone could live in those then no one could and people have to be realistic. No one is going to live 20miles+ away from there work. If you have a car great and if you don't your ass is sitting on a tarc bus for over 2hrs easy.

Me and my GF live 10mins max away from her work. If her POS car breaks down thats a 2hr walk or bus ride. Our rent is right about $700 a month and if it wasn't for the fact her mom passed away and we moved in on that lease we would be at the new rate these Apartments have. The new rate puts them costing about $900 a month. Before she got her raise ($12 to $15) the max her work will provide she was barely getting by.

Like I said and ill accept the infraction for it but Orlong is ether trolling or doesn't know how the real world works.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Thepersona View Post
    Question of pure ignorance:
    is a 15$/hour a good minimun wage?
    here in my country we have a 3-4$/hour but many things are cheaper (like housing)
    At $15 my GF barely got by where we live at now before I moved in. $15 itself isn't all that grand but its a hell of a sight better then $7.25

When she was making $12 it was much harder, The $15 gives her a small bit of wiggle room tho.

In california where shit cost a fuck ton I highly dought its good. But as I said its much better then $7.25
    Last edited by Jtbrig7390; 2016-04-05 at 11:40 PM.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

This just in, fast food restraints in California eliminate 60% of employees in favor of touch screen ordering. Drive-thrus are now being outsourced to India.

As a Navy veteran I can tell you that although on paper it seems servicemen and women are underpaid, there are many benefits that make up for it. They dont pay for housing or food (They either live on base and eat in dining hall, or they live off base and receive a housing and food stipend), they have free healthcare, and if they are stationed in a combat zone their pay is untaxed. They are paid more than the equivalent of $15/hour and as you rank up you get more and more money
    Out of everything I have ever seen you post, this is the first thing I can recall seeing based in reality.

You are correct, as an E-2 with no bonsus, I earned about $9 an hour but I had zero bills. By comparison an E-1 I knew with a wife and such was making over $19 an hour doing the exact same stuff and none of that included benefits or when deployed when the pay goes up.
    Since we can't call out Trolls and Bad Faith posters and the Ignore function doesn't actually ignore it. Add
    "mmo-champion.com##li.postbitignored"
    to your ublock or adblock filter to actually ignore ignored posters. Now just need a way to ignore responses to them as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Orlong

The problem is the retirement age continues to increase due to people living longer and the costs of retirement increasing. This causes there to be a lack of jobs (one of the reasons there are almost no jobs in higher education) bc people dont retire.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by breadisfunny View Post
    businesses already do that here even WITH a minimum wage of only 7.25.
    Oh I know, I've seen it firsthand. I'm just expecting it to increase in severity as the minimum wage goes up.

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I know this isn't the argument you were trying to make but lets be real. This gentleman could not find another fulltime job for equal or better pay for 5 consecutive years?

Like we're both from Ontario and though we're talking about america here you're actually telling me there are NO fulltime minimum wage jobs in the states?

In that case he should have quit and collected unemployment. It pays better than $8 in the states from what I've read.

I don't live in this rose coloured glasses world you and Endus accuse me of. Not being able to find a new (sub minimum-wage) job in 5 years is just lazy, regardless of where you live.

Few if any. They don't hire full time because they would mean they would have to pay more for full time employee benefits.

To get around this most places never work you more than 35 hours a week.

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeJoe View Post
    Few if any. They don't hire full time because they would mean they would have to pay more for full time employee benefits.

To get around this most places never work you more than 35 hours a week.
    Around here it's 32 hours. They get seriously pissed if you go 1 minute over.

In most retail/customer service stores the only people who are full-time are the managers. They also get to work way more than 40 hours a week.
    Last edited by Therec; 2016-04-06 at 12:46 AM.

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account

You can't get unemployment if you quit. You can only get it if you are fired. At least it is this way in my state.

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeJoe View Post
    You can't get unemployment if you quit. You can only get it if you are fired. At least it is this way in my state.
    Same here, the only way you get unemployment is due to "downsizing". You quit or you're let go for any other reason than the company closing the store or having layoffs due to optimization, you don't see a dime.

15+ Year Old Account
    People saying "Get a promotion" or "find a better job" doesn't fix the minimum wage situation as a whole. It might be a solution for an individual, but it's not going to fix the immense problem with minimum wage currently. There will always be minimum wage, and always be people working in it. Not every person in the country can get off minimum wage.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by breadisfunny View Post
    i feel 25 is a good stopping point. don't want to give the fiscal conservatives a coma now would we?
    Oh I unno could be fun lol. But seriously alot if the math I've seen points to 26.?? Is what we should be getting paid. When taking into account inflation abd productivity

Quote Originally Posted by Bighud44 View Post
    A new military serviceman or servicewoman make less than $9 a hr? Will you be will to pay a higher tax so that they can earn $15 in the entry level job?
    For our servicepeople? Absolutely. The resources available to them are grossly inadequate.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lightwysh View Post
    This just in, fast food restraints in California eliminate 60% of employees in favor of touch screen ordering. Drive-thrus are now being outsourced to India.
    Fairly amusing considering this hasn't happened in areas or countries with higher minimum wages.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Bloodsail Admiral
    7+ Year Old Account
    The real issue is the housing markets, Rent should not be equal to 1/3 of our cash flow. The jobs are in cities and city rent is high. $800 minimum for 500 sq ft where I live, average is around $1000, that's just wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Izalia View Post
    The real issue is the housing markets, Rent should not be equal to 1/3 of our cash flow. The jobs are in cities and city rent is high. $800 minimum for 500 sq ft where I live, average is around $1000, that's just wrong.
    Completely a symptom of inflationary monetary policy thats ironically designed to stimulate the economy. When your money is constantly losing value, the best way to protect it is to buy something like a house that will generally remain at the same value while the price you paid for it relatively diminishes by inflation. This props up the price of real estate while helping those with the capital to invest, and hurting those who can only rent property. Ironically, these stimulus packages are often sold as something to help the poor.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiricine View Post
    Completely a symptom of inflationary monetary policy thats ironically designed to stimulate the economy. When your money is constantly losing value, the best way to protect it is to buy something like a house that will generally remain at the same value while the price you paid for it relatively diminishes by inflation. This props up the price of real estate while helping those with the capital to invest, and hurting those who can only rent property. Ironically, these stimulus packages are often sold as something to help the poor.
    Ideally there would be accompanying fiscal policy to prevent such a trap from occurring but, hey, guess which party controls both Houses of Congress?

If your answer was 'the one that knows fuck all about economics' then you guessed right.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.