Page 1 of 9
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Mississippi Same-Sex Adoption Ban Declared Void

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/...b083f5c607567f

Mississippi was the last holdout, as all other state bans (including the one in my home state of Illinois) was struck down locally. This is the first one federally as far as I know.

Thanks to this federal decision, a group of people are no longer denied the right to a family. Exciting news. My partner and I, specifically, have talked a few times about having children. This may not have the cachet of the Supreme Court's ruling last year but it spells doom for some of the last legal discrimination against same-sex couples.

/insert Icecube's it was a good day here
    great news for the LGBT community. one of the key issues I think they needed to deal with.

Deleted
    Good for gays in Mississippi

That tears it, the last thing we need is more stable homes for orphans.

Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    This may not have the cachet of the Supreme Court's ruling last year
    As far as the state is concerned with handling the privileges granted to any couple, adoption should be the first priority. Forming a nucleus in which a family can produce and nurture the next generation to support the state is the primary reason why it's invested in marriage in the first place.

It's weird that some people talk such a big game about "protecting the american family" yet would rather these kids stay orphans.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

10+ Year Old Account
    I hate to be the downer here but give it some time and some states, run by politicians with an (R) in front of their names, will make absurd laws to counter this in some way. But good news for now.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    It kind of amazes me that local and state governments can pass radical laws, that seem totally in conflict Supreme Court decisions and Federal laws in restricting freedom or supporting discrimination.

And no, "religious freedom" does not include the freedom to discriminate. It's even more ridiculous that it's an argument that's actually been successfully used. Makes about as much sense as saying my religion says I should be able to...(fill in the blank with any crime), and if you say I can't you're obstructing my freedom of religion.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Powerogue View Post
    It's weird that some people talk such a big game about "protecting the american family" yet would rather these kids stay orphans.
    Well how else are we going to punish children for having shitty, worthless parents?
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/...b083f5c607567f

Mississippi was the last holdout, as all other state bans (including the one in my home state of Illinois) was struck down locally. This is the first one federally as far as I know.

Thanks to this federal decision, a group of people are no longer denied the right to a family. Exciting news. My partner and I, specifically, have talked a few times about having children. This may not have the cachet of the Supreme Court's ruling last year but it spells doom for some of the last legal discrimination against same-sex couples.
    What about the kid getting adopted?. He is being denied a family in my opinion.

10+ Year Old Account
    Probably laying somewhere frozen and cold.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    "Family" is defined by the individual, not by any set definition or interpretation of the word.

Just like religion.
    There are no worse scum in this world than fascists, rebels and political hypocrites.
    Donald Trump is only like Hitler because of the fact he's losing this war on all fronts.
    Apparently condemning a fascist ideology is the same as being fascist. And who the fuck are you to say I can't be fascist against fascist ideologies?
    If merit was the only dividing factor in the human race, then everyone on Earth would be pretty damn equal.

Quote Originally Posted by Manabomb View Post
    "Family" is defined by the individual, not by any set definition of the word.

Just like religion.
    I think it puts unjust stress on the kid to have to defend a situation that they may not agree with when they get older. They are forced into the spotlight before they even know why. Again just my opinion but I think its unfair to the kids.

Speaking as a kid who grew up in foster care, your opinion is garbage.
    "Just because you read it on the internet, doesn't mean the person actually said it." - Thomas Jefferson

Good. To think that was even a thing is ridiculous. One of the side perks of gay marriage is that kids stuck in the system can get adopted and have families.

10+ Year Old Account
    Probably laying somewhere frozen and cold.
    I think it puts unjust stress on the kid to have to defend a situation that they may not agree with when they get older. They are forced into the spotlight before they even know why. Again just my opinion but I think its unfair to the kids.
    I'm pretty sure being an orphan is already fairly unfair enough. I imagine getting any kind of home where they have a pair of loving figures to look up to and respect as they grow is far more important than worrying about the sexual orientation of the figures.

Not to mention, basing an entire piece of legislation and regulation on whether or not the child agrees with it when it's older isn't really valid. These laws aren't for the childs protection, they are for restricting the rights of homosexual citizens. It's not like the GoP has been extremely vague when it comes to this undeniable fact.
    There are no worse scum in this world than fascists, rebels and political hypocrites.
    Donald Trump is only like Hitler because of the fact he's losing this war on all fronts.
    Apparently condemning a fascist ideology is the same as being fascist. And who the fuck are you to say I can't be fascist against fascist ideologies?
    If merit was the only dividing factor in the human race, then everyone on Earth would be pretty damn equal.

10+ Year Old Account
    When they're adults, they can decide for themselves.

10+ Year Old Account
    Family is who chooses to take care of you. It doesn't matter what gender/sex or sexual orientation they are. Seeing as the child is already being adopted, they were denied a "normal" family to begin with by their parents.

What do you consider family to be exactly?

So would it be better if that kid was not adopted what so ever in your eyes? Are you willing to take that risk that a heterosexual couple might come by and adopt that child when this "blood is most important" mentality is so strong within the culture. I've had way too many heterosexual couples stare me right in the eyes and say adopted kids aren't really your kids to ever give your mentality a chance here.

Or we could just let the foster system numbers speak for itself that your mentality is objectively harmful to children. Removing potential homes just because you don't like gay people in some vague way, just think about what you just said for a second.
    Last edited by Moralgy; 2016-04-02 at 02:12 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes, this law was indeed denying that child a family. Another reason why it being gone is a good thing.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters