View Poll Results: Would you invite a programmer to speak at your conference if he was a known racist?

Voters
163. This poll is closed
  • I need more info

31 19.02%
  • Yes

93 57.06%
  • No

39 23.93%
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Barnabas View Post
    I wouldn't even care as long as it wasn't about his personal views or whatever weird blog crap he posted years ago.
    This.. also a lot of people get labeled racist for PC crap like not caring about black history or not knowing if someone is from China or Japan.

But even if he was an actual racist and would only come to speak about programming, hes private life and beliefs are hes business.

Quote Originally Posted by Wyrt View Post
    If it would draw negative attention to the conference and prevent people from coming then no, I would not invite him because it would distract from the point of the conference.
    He got made famous by the dailybeast. I don't think the average person would even know who this guy is at all. The PC thing to do is just marginalize people over anything.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Yes I would invite him.

Black people ran around with spears until Europeans and Arabs started exploiting them. Some still do and i doubt Africa would be much different had foreigners not come. Look at the South Americans, much more isolated but still so technologically advanced.

Quote Originally Posted by De thuong View Post
    Why is donald trump so liked then? xD
    Does Donald Trump support slavery? Did he claim genetic superiority for whites and inferiority for blacks, making them suitable for slavery? He's a clown but as far as I know, not that fucked up.

Also, Donald Trump's support might indicate a political reaction rather than love for racism.
    Last edited by Kuntantee; 2016-04-02 at 09:48 AM.

Why is donald trump so liked then? xD
    He's not racist though. People like him because he's not your average run of the mill politician.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kuntantee View Post
    Blatant racism is not welcome (Turkey) in my country. While I sometimes claim Europe is a bit more racist compared to some other parts, blatant and especially this kind of racism is also not welcome in Europe, not even close. Same for USA. So in essence, it is not welcome in this part of the world. I personally do not know how things are in Vietnam.
    Treatment of Kurds and Armenians in today's Turkey.

Previously the Armenian genocide, the Greek genocide and the Armenian genocide.

Quote Originally Posted by Hyve View Post
    So because of Donald Trump, racism is okay?

Anyone in this day and age that holds genuinely racist views is clearly a moron. There is no reason to hate someone over their race or ethnicity, and the fact that some people do showcases a serious lack of intelligence. You can have issues with some groups, some local gang of people or whatever, and they may be all of the same ethnicity, background or whatever, but to outright hate every single one of their race because of it, shows a serious lack of brain function.
    How can he be so popular if racism wasn't okay with his statements?

Quote Originally Posted by Barnabas View Post
    He got made famous by the dailybeast. I don't think the average person would even know who this guy is at all. The PC thing to do is just marginalize people over anything.
    I'm not sure it's a bad thing to marginalize racists though.

How can he be so popular if racism wasn't okay with his statements?
    Because despite his popularity, he's not as popular as people believe. He's got a massive amount of media attention because of his actions, but don't confuse that with dominance in the US.

He might win the republican nomination, but he won't win the presidency. You'll soon see his rhetoric calm down slightly (as it has in recent weeks) because he knows now that the abusive and stupid comments only get you so far.

Besides, I can't recall a time that he was outright racist. Stupid, Abusive, Ignorant, yes. Racist; Not so sure on that. He could well be, but I don't remember him saying he supports slavery, or anything else equally as disgusting.

Is he giving a talk on programming or on white supremacy? Is he capable of separating his professional and personal opinions?

Would you still watch a Mel Gibson film? How about watching an old Shaq game? Chances are, out of all the people you like, some of them are racist in some way. Everyone has some prejudices, and some of those are going to be aimed predominately against people of a certain racial group.

Quote Originally Posted by DJ117 View Post
    Treatment of Kurds and Armenians in today's Turkey.
    Both are treated just fine.

Deleted
    Both are treated just fine.
    How are you treating kurds fine considering what's going on there? <.<

Quote Originally Posted by Child of Curiosity View Post
    How are you treating kurds fine considering what's going on there? <.<
    Off topic, I can dispatch a private message explaining what's going on if you want.

Deleted
    Can't you agree with him that the conference is only on programming and to avoid other controversial topics?

If so, you can move on with it.

Deleted
    Off topic, I can dispatch a private message explaining what's going on if you want.
    Sure, because what can be read here in Sweden in media sure as hell doesn't look like it's going fine. <.<

As long as he stays on topic and doesn't try to make programming about race I don't think it would be a problem inviting him.

Accidentally voted no, so -1 to no and +1 to yes.

To bar someone from speaking because of beliefs which are unrelated to the subject he would speak about is pretty fascist, because it implies that there can be no apolitical discussion (and by extension, all discussion is under the jurisdiction of laws regarding the regulation of political speech.)

As long as he stays on the topic of programming, I couldn't give two shits about his comments. If he goes on a tangent about how stupid black people are with technology, bye guy.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Hyve View Post
    So because of Donald Trump, racism is okay?

Anyone in this day and age that holds genuinely racist views is clearly a moron. There is no reason to hate someone over their race or ethnicity, and the fact that some people do showcases a serious lack of intelligence. You can have issues with some groups, some local gang of people or whatever, and they may be all of the same ethnicity, background or whatever, but to outright hate every single one of their race because of it, shows a serious lack of brain function.
    Then I'm a moron cause i hate a certain race or religion cause they only cause trouble here.

Racism isnt there from birth but from those people who you hate and dislike.

Blatant racism is not welcome (Turkey) in my country. While I sometimes claim Europe is a bit more racist compared to some other parts, blatant and especially this kind of racism is also not welcome in Europe, not even close. Same for USA. So in essence, it is not welcome in this part of the world. I personally do not know how things are in Vietnam.
    I like how you can say something is "not welcome", you're about as credible as the Irani president or w/e saying there are no homosexuals in his country.
    Quote Originally Posted by kbarh View Post
    may i suggest you check out wowwiki or any similar site, it's Grom that orders the murder of Cairne