Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by tehealadin View Post
    BMI doesn't take into account body composition- you get really fit, healthy rugby players classed as obese using only BMI.
    I'm 200lbs (about 90kgs), 5'8" (1.7 meters) tall...doctor said I'm not obese at all. Most of my weight is in my legs and shoulders.

According to this; http://fitness.bizcalcs.com/Calculat...=Body-Fat-Navy

I'm "fit."

(Used to be "athletic" by I slowed down during the winter months)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Solobang View Post
    The myth that healthy food is expensive needs to die out.
    Indeed. Go to the Farmers Market. I can feed myself for a week on about $20 for fruits and vegetables. Then go and spend a little more on other things on the Super Market.
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    I'm 200lbs (about 90kgs), 5'8" (1.7 meters) tall...doctor said I'm not obese at all. Most of my weight is in my legs and shoulders.

According to this; http://fitness.bizcalcs.com/Calculat...=Body-Fat-Navy

I'm "fit."

(Used to be "athletic" by I slowed down during the winter months)
    I tried that and put in the numbers for myself ( I weigh 160 and am 5 foot 10 inches. ) and it says I am acceptable. So just for the hell of it, left the other numbers alone and typed in 250 pounds and it says I am fit. Lol. Bullshit. I do agree however, that weight and how tall you are in itself does not mean you are overweight or obese just because of a BMI chart. As a person's build certainly is a big factor.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    I tried that and put in the numbers for myself ( I weigh 160 and am 5 foot 10 inches. ) and it says I am acceptable. So just for the hell of it, left the other numbers alone and typed in 250 pounds and it says I am fit. Lol. Bullshit. I do agree however, that weight and how tall you are in itself does not mean you are overweight or obese just because of a BMI chart. As a person's build certainly is a big factor.
    Read the comments that people are posting below the calculator...(Yeah, for some there be bullshit...but it's better than BMI in my opinion)

Quote Originally Posted by Emode View Post
    Fat shaming is good. We need to stop this notion that being fat is ok.
    I think you are right. Smoker shaming is the only thing that made me quit. Being shunned by my society is what worked. All of the "you'll get cancer and die a terrible terrible death" does nothing. We have a way to keep these things out of our mind most of the time and continue doing something incredibly stupid. The problem is even higher when it makes us feel uncomfortable to do something about it like quitting smoking. If you have never smoked, you have no idea of the discomfort of doing that.

Exercise and eating well is exactly the same thing, it causes much discomfort and the reward is some intangible in the present good health. I understand all the problems with obesity, have a high IQ and yet am too fucking stupid to do something about it. I keep on trucking by not doing exercise and filling my fat face with terrible shit to make me feel better. Knowledge is not the solution, everyone with an ounce of education knows what being a fat pig like me does. I came to the conclusion recently that just like smoking, what I need to be forced to make positive changes that stick about my weight, is fucking shame. I need to not be looked as normal, I need to get disgusted looks everywhere I go. I need to have my media laugh and ridicule people for being fat. Shame and social ostracism is a way stronger mechanism to fix people than any information. I need to be fat shamed, everyday. It needs to be more uncomfortable to be fat than it is to eat well and exercise.

The whole body positivity thing is a travesty and these people should be laughed out of public discourse instead of being lauded as heroes for being fucking fat land whales.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kathandira View Post
    Indeed. Go to the Farmers Market. I can feed myself for a week on about $20 for fruits and vegetables. Then go and spend a little more on other things on the Super Market.
    That is some cheap ass fruit.
    I don't have a farmers market around so I go to the supermarket.
    20 bucks won't get me much here in Dublin.

I am on a diet at the moment seeing I need to every now and then to get rid of the weight I gained in my lazy period.
    I bought 4 apples, 4 cucumbers 2 packs of cherry tomatoes a orange melon and a bag of small peppers and it cost me 20 bucks (little over).
    That will last me 2 days.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by willtron View Post
    Tax on sugary foods. Done.

Fixed that for you, no reason to tax high fat foods, high fat low carb diets do actually work... carbs are the problem, not fat.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don’t have one, you’ll probably never need one again.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by woozie21 View Post
    That is some cheap ass fruit.
    I don't have a farmers market around so I go to the supermarket.
    20 bucks won't get me much here in Dublin.

I am on a diet at the moment seeing I need to every now and then to get rid of the weight I gained in my lazy period.
    I bought 4 apples, 4 cucumbers 2 packs of cherry tomatoes a orange melon and a bag of small peppers and it cost me 20 bucks (little over).
    That will last me 2 days.
    Ouch! That is very pricey. However, I don't know how good the farming is in Ireland. Isn't the potato your national fruit? j/k.

Seriously though, does your country import it's fruits and vegetables? The US has really good soil for growing a wide variety of these things, and NJ especially (The Garden State) is known for having tons of farms, so our produce can end up being really cheap.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Schattenlied View Post
    Fixed that for you, no reason to tax high fat foods, high fat low carb diets do actually work... carbs are the problem, not fat.
    honestly, I also believe it has a bit to do with the lack of physical activity once people leave school. Once you are no longer required to participate in physical activities, and you end up spending a large portion of your day and night sitting on your bum, playing video games, watching TV, or sitting around else where, you can't expect to keep in shape. (Run on sentence for the win!)

10+ Year Old Account

honestly, I also believe it has a bit to do with the lack of physical activity once people leave school. Once you are no longer required to participate in physical activities, and you end up spending a large portion of your day and night sitting on your bum, playing video games, watching TV, or sitting around else where, you can't expect to keep in shape. (Run on sentence for the win!)
    Also true, but it's mostly simply that people eat way too much... especially the people who go to the gym and then go "well I just worked out, I deserve a burger!"... That's not how this works, that's not how any of this works...

If those people who didn't engage in much physical activity simply ate smaller meals or cut out all their snacks (or both) it wouldn't matter.
    Last edited by Schattenlied; 2016-04-04 at 03:08 PM.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don’t have one, you’ll probably never need one again.

Deleted
    Ouch! That is very pricey. However, I don't know how good the farming is in Ireland. Isn't the potato your national fruit? j/k.

Seriously though, does your country import it's fruits and vegetables? The US has really good soil for growing a wide variety of these things, and NJ especially (The Garden State) is known for having tons of farms, so our produce can end up being really cheap.

- - - Updated - - -

The potato is our national everything, cheap as hell as well.
    That being said as far as I know most "healthy" stuff is being imported.

My cherry tomatoes are from Marocco.
    Cucumbers are from the UK.
    Apples are from Chili.
    etc .

10+ Year Old Account
    Also true, but it's mostly simply that people eat way too much... especially the people who go to the gym and then go "well I just worked out, I deserve a burger!"... That's not how this works, that's not how any of this works...

If those people who didn't engage in much physical activity simply ate smaller meals or cut out all their snacks (or both) it wouldn't matter.
    That is correct from what I have experienced. As I get older, and much less active, I gain weight much easier. I had to cut sugar out of my diet. Doing so, I lost a significant amount of weight, without increasing my activity. I also eat smaller portions, and less times a day. And also pretty importantly, I try not to eat within 3-4 hours of going to sleep.

I was never "fat", but I had quite a gut going. It is now "mostly" gone, and I am down to 150lbs (from almost 180, at a height of 5'7") I wouldn't mind losing that last 10 lbs to be at my goal of 140. But that would actually require me to be more active. Which, now that spring is here, will likely happen.

10+ Year Old Account
    and on the topic I saw about "fat shaming"...

I am perfectly fine with this... at 5'8 I use to weight 240lbs, what people call "fat shaming" (telling them it's extremely unhealthy) is the only reason I got my shit together and lost that weight, I now weigh 155lbs. Lying to these people and telling them that being fat is ok is not helping, at all, they need to be told the truth.
    Last edited by Schattenlied; 2016-04-04 at 03:22 PM.

I am perfectly fine with this... at 5'8 I use to weight 240lbs, what people call "fat shaming" (telling them it's extremely unhealthy) is the only reason I got my shit together and lost that weight, I now weigh 155lbs. Telling these people that being fat is ok is not helping, at all.
    Now you can fat shame the tubbies and it's okay because you used to be one of them and you can say 'it worked for me'!
    1) Load the amount of weight I would deadlift onto the bench
    2) Unrack
    3) Crank out 15 reps
    4) Be ashamed of constantly skipping leg day

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't see why it is a problem. If those people like to be fat, let them be.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by willtron View Post
    Now you can fat shame the tubbies and it's okay because you used to be one of them and you can say 'it worked for me'!
    The truth is fat shaming isn't fat shaming, it's telling the truth, it's extremely unhealthy and they need to get their shit together and fix it... Far too many people label saying "that's unhealthy" as fat shaming.
    Last edited by Schattenlied; 2016-04-04 at 03:30 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by woozie21 View Post
    The potato is our national everything, cheap as hell as well.
    That being said as far as I know most "healthy" stuff is being imported.

My cherry tomatoes are from Marocco.
    Cucumbers are from the UK.
    Apples are from Chili.
    etc .
    That is likely the reason for the cost, = /

Deleted
    That is likely the reason for the cost, = /
    That being said.. its really easy to get really fat really quickly :P.
    I can buy chicken nuggets and potato waffles for a whole week for 5/6 bucks.
    Few liters of coke 4 bucks? and im set for the week!

haha .

Deleted

I am perfectly fine with this... at 5'8 I use to weight 240lbs, what people call "fat shaming" (telling them it's extremely unhealthy) is the only reason I got my shit together and lost that weight, I now weigh 155lbs. Lying to these people and telling them that being fat is ok is not helping, at all, they need to be told the truth.
    Smoker shaming worked.

Fat shaming works too, it's just being resisted by people who think feelings are more important than reality and don't want to feel bad

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    http://www.shape.com/weight-loss/man...besity-problem

I don't know about anyone else by I am extremely concerned about the obesity crisis. What should be done to solve it?
    Why are you concerned with this?

I am perfectly fine with this... at 5'8 I use to weight 240lbs, what people call "fat shaming" (telling them it's extremely unhealthy) is the only reason I got my shit together and lost that weight, I now weigh 155lbs. Telling these people that being fat is ok is not helping, at all.
    When my brother lost his weight I don't think it was so much fat shaming, something inside him just broke. Now the guy is obsessed with his fitness. Its different for everyone.