Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Titan2k10 View Post
    Except he WONT look the same in the mirror because muscle is denser than fat so....
    You dont know much about this topic, do you.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimreaper View Post
    Easy now. Lets say a person weighs 130 kg, 50 of those is excessive fat. Lets say he starts lifting weights, he burns 10 kg of fat but builds 8 kg of muscles in the process. He looks exactly the same in the mirror.
    10kg of muscles look VERY different from 10kg of fat

A lot of people saying "BMI doesn't tell the whole story, look at heavy weight boxers and athletes", while technically correct, are usually referring to their wishful thinking that they are just "big-boned" (ie: fat)

One look at them would confirm that they don't play Rugby for England, not to mention one blood test / cholesterol / bp reading.

Quote Originally Posted by Titan2k10 View Post
    Lift weights instead....better for burning calories.
    Nope, that's simply wrong.

Muscle is good for burning calories; for every pound of lean mass, your BMR is increased by around 50 calories. Guess what, however? You need to be at a calorie surplus to build muscle; or, at a slow rate, you can build muscle at a 10% calorie deficit (best case scenario). Whatever way you look at it, this is not a fast/efficient way of burning calories and losing weight; building muscle takes time.

That's it. Resistance training itself is terrible for burning calories.

Cardio is better in every way. When you can burn 400+ calories per 20 minutes with weights, which is what I burn when jogging, then you can get back to me. But you can't; and sadly, spreading misinformation doesn't burn many calories either.

Quote Originally Posted by Xarim View Post
    10kg of muscles look VERY different from 10kg of fat
    Not when it's covered by 40kg of excessive fat...

Quote Originally Posted by Austilias View Post

Muscle is good for burning calories; for every pound of lean mass, your BMR is increased by around 50 calories. Guess what, however? You need to be at a calorie surplus to build muscle; or, at a slow rate, you can build muscle at a 10% calorie deficit (best case scenario). Whatever way you look at it, this is not a fast/efficient way of burning calories and losing weight; building muscle takes time.

Cardio is better in every way. When you can burn 400+ calories per 20 minutes with weights, which is what I burn when jogging, then you can get back to me. But you can't; and sadly, spreading misinformation doesn't burn many calories either.
    Are you fucking retarded? The average person burns about 400 calories in an entire fucking hour of jogging. Not to mention that if you are just doing cardio you will, in fact, be losing healthy muscle as well at a calorie deficit.

So before you go sounding like a fucking moron maybe you should think your post through because as you said "spreading misinformation doesn't burn many calories either."

Moron

Infracted
    Last edited by Darsithis; 2016-04-05 at 03:53 PM. Reason: flaming

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    Everyone should be concerned about the obesity epidemic.
    don't forget the draenei epidemic.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

Eh, overweight people should just pay a little more in taxes.

They consume more of everything - and it's a choice 99.98% of the time.

Fuel, food, medical needs etc.

Fat shaming, lol. I prefer health advocate.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivank0v View Post
    Eh, overweight people should just pay a little more in taxes.

They consume more of everything
    Then they already do pay more taxes. Problem solved.

Quote Originally Posted by Sydänyö View Post
    Then they already do pay more taxes. Problem solved.
    But do they pay more for insurance? For example, smokers do.
    Last edited by ls-; 2016-04-05 at 04:44 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by lightspark View Post
    But do they pay more for insurance? For example, smokers do.
    Health insurance? I don't know about such old-fashioned systems. I live in Finland. We don't buy health insurance here.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Austilias View Post

Or you could lift 3-4 times a week and bike on off-days while keeping a proper diet.

Building muscle takes time but as Titan said: you metabolize more fat with more muscle, muscle is denser and if you only do cardio to lose weight without supplementing it with anything else, you'll slim down but it will not look great.

Also lmao if you mock patience as a virtue when you plan to lose 20-50+ pounds. It's basically mandatory.
    Last edited by EventHorizon; 2016-04-05 at 06:11 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by belfpala View Post
    Replying to a few things above, just quoting this one. I don't think fat shaming works. I know for a fact smoker shaming doesn't work. On the smoker shaming topic, telling me to quit just made me want to smoke more. I knew I had to quit, stop nagging me damn it. What worked was severe policies where I live. No smoking inside, anywhere. No smoking near a building entrance. Excessive taxes on smoking. And so on. Of course, the same methods can't work with obesity, as you're punishing people who aren't obese but occasionally want to have a big ice cream sundae.

I had a few friends who were overweight or obese who lost the weight. What seemed to help them most is I showed them how to cook (one was living pretty much on bacon and grilled cheese). Showed them how to shop for food. And politely invited them to come along with me when I was doing cardio workouts.

The reason they've kept it off? They feel a lot better than they used to. Sleep better. Have more energy.
    You're a good friend, belf pally.
    Tiriél US-Stormrage

Signature by Shyama