Page 1 of 10
... LastLast
    Deleted

Eating dogs is no different than eating pigs.

Both are not endangered and pigs are in fact smarter than dogs.

- Among other talents, pigs have excellent long-term memories
    - They are skilled at completing mazes and recognising symbols
    - They also have empathy and can learn from each other in groups

You could argue that you live with a dog but then again in some countries/rural areas it's not uncommon to live with pigs as pets.

The only rational reason one could cite would be the universal vegetarian/vegan argument. That would cover both.
    But if you eat pigs, chickens and cows you have no right to complain about people in Asia jamming, killing and eating dogs.

The same applies to cats btw. For further reading see here.

Last edited by mmocf9c4bcbfba; 2016-04-05 at 03:50 PM.

Deleted
    I don't think most rational people complain about them eating dogs. Or killing them, for that matter. People complain about their way of killing them, i.e inhumane torture.

Still a silly thing to get your panties in a bunch over, but hey.
    Last edited by mmocb78b025c1c; 2016-04-05 at 03:37 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    There is already a thread on eating dogs. Do we really need another?
    With COVID-19 making its impact on our lives, I have decided that I shall hang in there for my remaining days, skip some meals, try to get children to experiment with making henna patterns on their skin, and plant some trees. You know -- live, fast, dye young, and leave a pretty copse. I feel like I may not have that quite right.

Quote Originally Posted by Koenigstiger View Post

You could argue that you live with a dog but then again in some countries/rural areas it's not uncommon to live with pigs as pets.

The only rational reason one could cite would be the universal vegetarian/vegan argument. That would cover both.
    But if you eat pigs, chickens and cows you have no right to complain about people in Asia jamming, killing and eating dogs.
    The main difference is pigs are grown for slaughter while dogs are not. and its highly arguable that pigs are smarter than dogs, when some dogs have been shown to be smarter than chimps.
    Gamdwelf the Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    I'm calling it, Republicans will hold congress in 2018 and Trump will win again in 2020.

10+ Year Old Account
    Depends on whether or not the animal in question is a pet.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

Dogs don't turn into delicious bacon!

This thread is going to be interesting. Not inflammatory nor evoking people's harshest emotions at all.
    And..

Quote Originally Posted by Taftvalue View Post
    I don't think most rational people complain about them eating dogs. Or killing them, for that matter. People complain about their way of killing them, i.e inhumane torture.
    Thread has been /thread'ed right of the bat.
    Exactly my stance too.

Probably troll bait, but I'll bite anyway.

You say it's 'not uncommon' for people to live with pigs as pets. Any data to back this up? NO.

I wonder how many of these pig pet owners let their pigs walk throughout their house, how many sleep on their owners beds do you think?

Mankind has breeded dogs to benefit ourselves for thousands of years. Whether that be working dogs, lap dogs or otherwise, the same cannot be said about pigs.

Whilst I'd prefer pigs were not eaten in addition to dogs, it's clear to even a small child, that dogs are not for eating. They are for companionship, for work and for a million other uses.

Ugly pet dog.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

I have no problem with the killing of animals by 1 of 2 methods:

Either they are raised as livestock, with no expectation of the world and killed in a painless fashion.

Or

Hunted in the wild.

Rounding up feral animals in city streets and torturing them to death and then using them as food I'm not okay with.

There's a difference. I mean rabbits are the best example here; there's people who set up breeding pens for wild rabbits in their back yard, and then use contraptions designed to insta-kill to slaughter them and then use them for meat. Absolutely nothing wrong with that.

There's people who keep a rabbit in a pen as a pet.

L2Compartmentalize.

You're right, humans have kept dogs and pigs in equal stead as companion animals for thousands of years.

Yep.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dextroden View Post
    You are a carbon copy of what you long so hard to fight in the streets. An extremist. Someone so desperate for strife to prove you are the ubermensch, err, Real American.

Alt lite. Sounds like you're having an alt fright. Unable to sleep at alt night. Maybe you should relax and fly an alt kite. Go down to the diner for an alt bite. You shouldn't be treating people with alt spite. Eventually, everything will be alt right.

Deleted
    But thats just double standard again. Always outcry on reddit (and the Internet in general) when we see footage of dogs being jammed together in China, South Korea, etc. But pigs and chickens are far worse off in Europe and America. Tons of documentations on this topic showing pigs in boxes so small they can't even make a 360° rotation and literally going mental.

Deleted

Yeah the problem aint so much that they eat dog. It's that for one, dog meat is BAD meat. Secondly, they're fucking monsters to them.

Deleted
    But thats just double standard again. Always outcry on reddit (and the internet in general) when we see footage of dogs being jammed together in China, South Korea, etc. But pigs and chickens are far worse off in Europe and America. Tons of documentations on this topic showing pigs in boxes so small they can't even make a 360° rotation and literally going mental.
    I'm not talking about putting them in cages/boxes whatever that are too small.

15+ Year Old Account
    I agree.

My objection with the Asian tradition of eating dogs is entirely due to the cruelty involved. They boil them alive because they believe the more distress and pain it is in before it dies, the better the meat will taste. That's an incredibly cruel and barbaric practice. That grievance extends to pigs treated that way as well.

If it's done humanely, I can't really complain as I eat plenty of pork, and the only difference seems to be that I've been conditioned to view dogs as pets and that they're cuter.

The "save the cute animals" attitude is extremely prevalent though, not only in the meat industry but in animal conservation as well. Just looks at how much money goes into saving pandas while thousands of other species are driven to extinction without the public caring.

Deleted
    I'm not talking about putting them in cages/boxes whatever that are too small.
    Ok so how about castration and killing without any anesthesia?

Deleted
    Ok so how about castration and killing without any anesthesia?
    Still beats getting skinned/boiled alive. In that order.

10+ Year Old Account
    "The pen is mightier than the sword.. and considerably easier to write with."

As has been said before, eating dog is no problem, but the how is, same goes for shredding chicks, it is unnecessary.

Quote Originally Posted by Revi View Post
    I agree.

My objection with the Asian tradition of eating dogs is entirely due to the cruelty involved. They boil them alive because they believe the more distress and pain it is in before it dies, the better the meat will taste. That's an incredibly cruel and barbaric practice. That grievance extends to pigs treated that way as well.

If it's done humanely, I can't really complain as I eat plenty of pork, and the only difference seems to be that I've been conditioned to view dogs as pets and that they're cuter.

The "save the cute animals" attitude is extremely prevalent though, not only in the meat industry but in animal conservation as well. Just looks at how much money goes into saving pandas while thousands of other species are driven to extinction without the public caring.
    Won't somebody please think of the polar bears.

But really yeah. People don't even bother to properly understand the issue polar bears face. "It's all the global warming, they are drowning." No, polar bears are fantastic swimmers. And they normally spend the warm months stalking in boreal tundra (i.e. not ice). "Well, if I buy carbon offset pizzas, the polar bears will be safe."

No... Polar bears are threatened by human encroachment. There's too much human presence in the boreal tundra, forcing them north where there's nothing but melty ice. Fucking off with the "oh they so cute" polar bear tours is what they need more than anything.