Page 6 of 22 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Pangean View Post
    What state is that?
    upper Midwest golly gee lowest unemployment in the nation and new hires at taco bell where I live start at $12 an hour and my health insurance is $1 copay for any visit everything else is covered

When it comes to supporting the middle class, Democrats are no better, support for poor is varied...both ultimately support the upper class...so I think it is irrelevant. They vote for Republican because they agree with the social stuff, military.
    X

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fang7986 View Post
    upper Midwest golly gee lowest unemployment in the nation and new hires at taco bell where I live start at $12 an hour and my health insurance is $1 copay for any visit everything else is covered
    The upper midwest is a state is it? And who provides the health care that you have?
    What are we gonna do now? Taking off his turban, they said, is this man a Jew?
    'Cause they're working for the clampdown
    They put up a poster saying we earn more than you!
    When we're working for the clampdown
    We will teach our twisted speech To the young believers
    We will train our blue-eyed men To be young believers

Pandaren Monk
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckSparkles View Post
    Not entirely impossible considering I would say my parents were lower middle class.

However, it also would relate to family.

If I alone made as much as say my father did at his peak, that would work just fine for me given the context of my current situation.
    So you're settling with low goals...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by BuckSparkles View Post
    Eh fair assessment.

Conservatives want more rich people. Liberals want less rich people.

I personally side with the group that wants more rich people.
    What? how do conservatives in any way want more rich people? If anything, they want the rich people to stay rich, not to make more rich people.
    Quote Originally Posted by spinner981
    I don't believe in observational proof because I have arrived at the conclusion that such a thing doesn't exist.

as Some people said, they vote for the right in order to protect their (expected? possible for them?) future wealth. it's the stupid ingrained american dream that your country did so well to scatter all around the world.
    "bcoz yea if i wurk hard inuf i will be part of teh 1% sumday!" (it's not going to happen)
    Forgive my english, as i'm not a native speaker

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cybrus View Post
    A good piece.
    He doesn't actually answer the question in that clip.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Thepersona View Post
    as Some people said, they vote for the right in order to protect their future wealth. it's the stupid ingrained american dream that your country did so well to scatter all around the world.
    "bcoz yea if i wurk hard inuf i will be part of teh 1% sumday!"
    A lot of it centers on, ironically enough, maitaning the structure provided by the top. As in, fear of the unknown...
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

Quote Originally Posted by Felya View Post
    A lot of it centers on, ironically enough, maitaning the structure provided by the top. As in, fear of the unknown...
    yes, i know, they think that they have to vote for the right in order to maintain the eco-political structure that nurtures the rich, because some day they will be part of them (negating the brutal reality of income inequality, and low social mobility)

Most poor and middle class Americans are still virtuous people so they naturally vote for the party that promotes socially conservative policies.

Quote Originally Posted by Knadra View Post
    Most poor and middle class Americans are still virtuous people so they naturally vote for the party that promotes socially conservative policies.
    care to elaborate?
    because i dont see how socially conservative =/= good or virtuous
    (as women rights, LGBT rights, minorities rights, minor religious groups rigthts are not socially conservative policies, and haven't been if you see a history book)

care to elaborate?
    because i dont see how socially conservative =/= good or virtuous
    (as women rights, LGBT rights, minorities rights, minor religious groups rigthts are not socially conservative policies, and haven't been if you see a history book)
    Those groups do not lose any rights under socially conservative policies.

Those groups do not lose any rights under socially conservative policies.
    yes, because they don't have them. Did you heard about apartheid, or the first, second and third waves of feminism? of the counterculture? or about the black rights in the 60s?
    please don't be dumb. social conservatism favours the groups with power, and that's historically been (at least in the west) the white male

10+ Year Old Account
    yes, i know, they think that they have to vote for the right in order to maintain the eco-political structure that nurtures the rich, because some day they will be part of them (negating the brutal reality of income inequality, and low social mobility)
    Not exactly. You are too focused on the rich as a concept and not what about the rich that's the issues. A lot of people are happy where they are and want to conserve that. It's things can be better (progressive) versus things are fine the way they are (conservative). It's not necessary that they can one day be rich, which is true for some, but that things can get worse.

Some people think that a cup is half full, others think the cup is half empty... but, there are a lot of people who just don't want to be thirsty...

- - - Updated - - -

Not exactly. You are too focused on the rich as a concept and not what about the rich that's the issues. A lot of people are happy where they are and want to conserve that. It's things can be better (progressive) versus things are fine the way they are (conservative). It's not necessary that they can one day be rich, which is true for some, but that things can get worse.

Some people think that a cup is half full, others think the cup is half empty... but, there are a lot of people who just don't want to be thirsty...
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell

yes, because they don't have them. Did you heard about apartheid, or the first, second and third waves of feminism? of the counterculture? or about the black rights in the 60s?
    please don't be dumb. social conservatism favours the groups with power, and that's historically been (at least in the west) the white male
    What specific rights do those groups lose when social conservatism is upheld?

7+ Year Old Account
    Why?

Upper classes in the areas inhabited by such people use religion to bullsht people into voting against their own best interests.

10+ Year Old Account
    What specific rights do those groups lose when social conservatism is upheld?
    Any right that expands (progressive), instead of maintained (conservative)...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Berengil View Post
    Why?

Upper classes in the areas inhabited by such people use religion to bullsht people into voting against their own best interests.
    That's not true... Why should people want to vote for change, when they are content with what they have?

Religion relating to conservatives is a fairly new concept. It's really about 30 years old and why Reagan ruined what it is to be a conservative.

Such as what?

I hear about these groups losing rights but no one can name what rights they are losing.

7+ Year Old Account

- - - Updated - - -

That's not true... Why should people want to vote for change, when they are content with what they have?

Religion relating to conservatives is a fairly new concept. It's really about 30 years old and why Reagan ruined what it is to be a conservative.
    Dude, look at my location. i know what I'm talking about. I grew up seeing exactly what I told you. I actually heard this before Obama won the first time:

" Don't vote for Obama, he's the Devil's servant!"

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Koenigstiger View Post
    So I asked myself why the heck would a poor or middle class American vote Republican when the party actively promotes plutocracy through the economic policies associated with neoconservatism?

I found this article on the matter which cites 5 points and wanted to share it (ofc shortened) with the mmoc community:

What's your stance on the topic?

Those exact same points could be used to describe why people vote democrat though couldn't though?

1. Religion: Religious freedom for all, practice what you believe....unless you are Christian these days of course.
    2. Abortion: Keep it legal, don't let anyone take away that right!
    3. Fear: Dems do the EXACT SAME THING.
    4. Ignorance: Dem voters can also be ignorant, like all those people that thought Obamacare would be free, because they didn't bother looking into it, just listened to the sound bites.
    5. Guns: They are evil and horrible outlaw them now before it is too late!!

First, I don't vote for a party, I vote on the issue at hand. So I can't say I'm either dem or republican. I can say I think it is ridiculous to call out either party for using the tactics mentioned in that article when both parties are guilty of it. I can't stand how democrats and republicans get pissed off about something the other party has done then turn around and do the exact same thing.

Such as what?

I hear about these groups losing rights but no one can name what rights they are losing.
    it's not rights that people are losing, it's rights that they aren't earning if social conservatism is upheld. its statu quo.
    no abortion rights, no gay marriage, there would be still a seggregated society...

it's not rights that people are losing, it's rights that they aren't earning if social conservatism is upheld. its statu quo.
    no abortion rights, no gay marriage, there would be still a seggregated society...
    I don't think you understand the concept of what a right is.

According to the Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy, "Rights are entitlements (not) to perform certain actions, or (not) to be in certain states."

There is no such thing as a positive right since a right cannot inherently oblige action. When you speak of these so called rights, you are referring to services. A service cannot be a right since the government does not have a moral obligation to force or coerce someone into providing said service.

Abortion cannot be a right since it infringes on the right of someone to provide it as well as the debatable right of the organism being killed in the process.

Marriage cannot be a right since it infringes on the right of someone who must provide the service as well as the taxpayer who must pay more in compensation for the married couple.