Page 87 of 103 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by peggleftw View Post
    businesses should be allowed to refuse service to a customer for what ever reason they chose imo, but should be investigated for discrimination if they constantly single out specific groups
    That's exactly how it works right now. The only way you get hit with discrimination lawsuits is if you refuse anyone who says they're [group] or are stupid enough to say "you get no service because you're [group]" for a protected group.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by peggleftw View Post
    businesses should be allowed to refuse service to a customer for what ever reason they chose imo, but should be investigated for discrimination if they constantly single out specific groups
    This seems to translate into the following:

If a business that serves the public decides to not serve a portion of that public that's OK -- but we'll investigate that business for doing that if they do it enough.

You're adding in a unnecessary part - Why should the place be investigated for discrimination if you already said they could discriminate? Why not just prevent them from allowing laws that permit discrimination?

Quote Originally Posted by Captain N View Post
    This seems to translate into the following:

If a business that serves the public decides to not serve a portion of that public that's OK -- but we'll investigate that business for doing that if they do it enough.

You're adding in a unnecessary part - Why should the place be investigated for discrimination if you already said they could discriminate? Why not just prevent them from allowing laws that permit discrimination?
    "a customer" is not the same as "a group".

You can refuse service to a customer all you want. Repeating the pattern with many customers so it's clear that you're disallowing a group is discrimination.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vanyali View Post
    "a customer" is not the same as "a group".

You can refuse service to a customer all you want. Repeating the pattern with many customers so it's clear that you're disallowing a group is discrimination.
    But the wording says -- Refusing anyone for any reason. It's double-talk...

Refusing a person for being a homosexual is a reason to not serve said person. Constantly refusing to serve homosexuals because it falls under the above is just using word play to validate themselves.

Consistently refusing homosexuals makes it a group and as you said...discrimination.

It's still a business that serves the public refusing to serve a portion of that public.

But the wording says -- Refusing anyone for any reason. It's double-talk...

Refusing a person for being a homosexual is a reason to not serve said person. Constantly refusing to serve homosexuals because it falls under the above is just using word play to validate themselves.

Consistently refusing homosexuals makes it a group and as you said...discrimination.

It's still a business that serves the public refusing to serve a portion of that public.
    Because you can refuse a gay person without saying it's because they're gay. Saying "I'm refusing to serve you because you're gay" is showing that you're a shit businessman.. enve if you're successful, you're a shit businessman, because you don't know jack about how to do things that are illegal within the law. You can kick them out for any number of reasons - they're being a disturbance, you think they're a thief, you banned them for previous behavior, whatever. If they push it.. you need ot be able to back it up, but that's it. So you can get away with a lot of discrimination for non-discriminatory reasons.

The problem comes when every single gay person is kicked out for a reason and you CAN'T back the reasons up, which is where you get hit with discrimination despite nominally throwing them out as individuals.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by kamuimac View Post
    good - free speak is free speach - just like gay people should be able to openly admit they are gay and nobody should persecute them for it , other people should be free to refuse to provide services for them if they choose to.
    So you think straight people should be thrown in jail for not liking gay people?

That is the most laughable thing ive seen in a long time.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vanyali View Post
    Because you can refuse a gay person without saying it's because they're gay. Saying "I'm refusing to serve you because you're gay" is showing that you're a shit businessman.. enve if you're successful, you're a shit businessman, because you don't know jack about how to do things that are illegal within the law. You can kick them out for any number of reasons - they're being a disturbance, you think they're a thief, you banned them for previous behavior, whatever. If they push it.. you need ot be able to back it up, but that's it. So you can get away with a lot of discrimination for non-discriminatory reasons.

The problem comes when every single gay person is kicked out for a reason and you CAN'T back the reasons up, which is where you get hit with discrimination despite nominally throwing them out as individuals.
    Sure you could do all of those things if you have reason to believe they are doing those things. You're more likely going to find said business owners seeing someone they think is dressed or looks like they're gay to them and give them the mostly infamously bigoted line there is: We don't serve your kind in here!

Sure you could do all of those things if you have reason to believe they are doing those things. You're more likely going to find said business owners seeing someone they think is dressed or looks like they're gay to them and give them the mostly infamously bigoted line there is: We don't serve your kind in here!
    Which is why they're shit businessmen. Just like with firing someone, if you don't have an iron-clad illegal activity there's a lot of fallbacks you can fire someone for that won't get you fucked later in court. Being too stupid to use them because your jimmies are too rustled just hastens your business closing for one reason or another due to your stupidity.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by kamuimac View Post
    good - free speak is free speach - just like gay people should be able to openly admit they are gay and nobody should persecute them for it , other people should be free to refuse to provide services for them if they choose to.
    You don't have to be open in order for someone to notice (or hell, even stereotype you).

Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    A law is a belief forced onto others. SOmeone believes something should be a certain way, and they use the government to force everyone to comply.
    A law is a set of rules decided upon by, in our case, a democraticaly chosen set of representatives for us, the people.
    It has -NOTHING- to do with a belief system.
    -=Z=- Satan represents vengeance instead of turning the other cheek! -=Z=-
    https://bdsmovement.net/

Quote Originally Posted by Shon237 View Post
    So as an atheist can I refuse gays, black people, white people or all people based on my religion. Maybe I make up a a belief of: Fuck all of you. So does my Fuck of all you faith makes me refuse a ginger?

To the moderators who will probably close this thread. I think it is sad since this is what the law is based on. That of some religious doctrine used to discriminate against a whole group.
    There's an atheist religion against gays and blacks and whites?

- - - Updated - - -

It's a stupid bill you shouldn't be allowed to refuse service based on your own bigotry.

Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post

- - - Updated - - -

It's a stupid bill you shouldn't be allowed to refuse service based on your own bigotry.
    The thing that really irks me is such a thing isn't biblically supported even if it is dogmatic to some sections of Christianity. Anyone using Christianity as an excuse for doing such things is essentially doing it because reasons. It's not a supported action in scripture.

- - - Updated - - -

News FLASH! There are many different sects of the same religion. So yeah, I can discredit a belief by saying my religion/belief of whatever triumphs over your belief?

So to be clear to you who does not understand, I guess. Yes, I can say my religion targets a certain group just for bigotry.

Example: White people are the spawn of Satan. Thus, I cannot serve people of Satan. Put whatever group you want into this sentence.

Quote Originally Posted by Phlegethon View Post
    A law is a set of rules decided upon by, in our case, a democraticaly chosen set of representatives for us, the people.
    It has -NOTHING- to do with a belief system.
    The people who banned gay marriage were saying the exact same thing.

People should be able to refuse any interaction with anyone for any reason. That ability should extend to their work and anything that they do. Making people do things that they don't want to do is wrong.

No but you can make one up, that's the issue. "Sincerely held religious beliefs" is a bunch of BS considering you can believe anything, all that is is an opinion. Just like "I think black people are an inferior race and we should not go to the same schools."
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

Quote Originally Posted by dir View Post
    People should be able to refuse any interaction with anyone for any reason. That ability should extend to their work and anything that they do. Making people do things that they don't want to do is wrong.
    Yeah, desegregation sure was wrong!

Quote Originally Posted by Powerogue View Post
    No but you can make one up, that's the issue. "Sincerely held religious beliefs" is a bunch of BS considering you can believe anything, all that is is an opinion. Just like "I think black people are an inferior race and we should not go to the same schools."
    Yes, Yes and Yes!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Wyrt View Post
    Yeah, desegregation sure was wrong!
    Amazingly someone who argues "Its my choice". Does not have enough brain capacity to look back in past 50 years to show what happened.

Plus we would get into; "I'm not serving black people". "Well I'm not serving white people" Add some religion, political beliefs and our society and way of doing businesses would be awesome.

Amazingly someone who argues "Its my choice". Does not have enough brain capacity to look back in past 50 years to show what happened.

Plus we would get into; "I'm not serving black people". "Well I'm not serving white people" Add some religion, political beliefs and our society and way of doing businesses would be awesome.
    Yeah, discrimination is real awesome.

News FLASH! There are many different sects of the same religion. So yeah, I can discredit a belief by saying my religion/belief of whatever triumphs over your belief?

So to be clear to you who does not understand, I guess. Yes, I can say my religion targets a certain group just for bigotry.

Example: White people are the spawn of Satan. Thus, I cannot serve people of Satan. Put whatever group you want into this sentence.
    You never did answer the question, only went on a pointless rant