Page 92 of 103 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Herald of the Titans RaoBurning's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dren The Black View Post
    Telling someone "go somewhere else. I don't want you here," does not harm a person in any way.
    It does if there's nowhere else to go. Really, how many time does it have to be pointed out that we've played this game before and it really, really wasn't pretty?

History. It works, bitches!

Let's try a thought exercise: Man is shot. Needs a blood transfusion, but the only available doctors/nurses/janitors who aren't afraid of needles are Jehovah's Witnesses, who don't believe in that. They refuse to perform the transfusion on religious grounds. Then is it harmful to allow someone's religious proclivities to dictate their work ethic? Any reasonable person would, I think, quite well tell the doctor to nut up and do his goddamned job and save the patient.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    This is America. We always have warm dead bodies.
    if we had confidence that the President clearly did not commit a crime, we would have said that.

Because the courts don't overturn unjust laws?

You know, because that's what the court system does when it's not arbitrating. It hears arguments on whether laws are constitutional or not.
    True, but the CRA is not going anywhere as no one has yet come up with a valid reason on why it's unjust other than hurting those who are prejudice. The law won't bend towards that group, no matter what you hope or believe.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by RaoBurning View Post
    Let's try a thought exercise: Man is shot. Needs a blood transfusion, but the only available doctors/nurses/janitors who aren't afraid of needles are Jehovah's Witnesses, who don't believe in that. They refuse to perform the transfusion on religious grounds. Then is it harmful to allow someone's religious proclivities to dictate their work ethic? Any reasonable person would, I think, quite well tell the doctor to nut up and do his goddamned job and save the patient.
    Was watching the Hulu show 11.22.63 and there was a scene where a black lady was not able to get gas at the station because the employee/owner said she could walk over to the colored town to get her gas. I guess few in the forum think this should be allowed.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think people a handful of decades ago would be rather shocked at the apparent implication that discrimination doesn't actually harm anyone.

The only people who should be allowed to deny services are actual churches and preachers, since the service they provide can't be provided without participating in the ceremony.

It is a shame that more Christians don't understand their faith enough to know how to react to gay people. They put the specific and out of context words of men (the Bible) over the core message of their savior, Jesus.

Quote Originally Posted by Lenonis View Post
    I think people a handful of decades ago would be rather shocked at the apparent implication that discrimination doesn't actually harm anyone.
    Isn't that the point of discrimination? To harm people.

Quote Originally Posted by Wyrt View Post
    Yeah, discrimination is real awesome.
    And yet you same people praise the AMC's and Bruce Springsteen's of the world, who cancel shows and/or move their business from states or cities with laws they don't agree with.

Must be nice to exercise your right to refuse your goods and services based upon your personal beliefs/opinions. But only if those are in-line with the progressive agenda I suppose?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Direpenguin View Post
    And yet you same people praise the AMC's and Bruce Springsteen's of the world, who cancel shows and/or move their business from states or cities with laws they don't agree with.

Must be nice to exercise your right to refuse your goods and services based upon your personal beliefs/opinions. But only if those are in-line with the progressive agenda I suppose?
    It's like you don't understand the difference between opting to not offer a service (be it cake or concert) and saying you'll refuse service to a given group...
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

Pandaren Monk
    15+ Year Old Account
    When the "greater good" becomes more important than the good of the individual, you have soviet communism and 22 millions deaths in the 1900s due to it.

I wonder how many slave owners told escaped slaves something like that that in the 1800s. Unjust laws are tyranny.
    They prioritized industry over agriculture. Similar to why so many starved in China under communism. Greater good itself was not the root cause. But the reason given as people perished.

You're comparing offering services at a pre-determined price as slavery? You've got some screws loose.

- - - Updated - - -

Analogous to them closing shop in that venue. No one was able to consume that service now, not just those who were bigoted. An option that is open to the stores who do not want to provide services.
    Quote Originally Posted by spinner981
    I don't believe in observational proof because I have arrived at the conclusion that such a thing doesn't exist.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tijuana View Post
    The only people who should be allowed to deny services are actual churches and preachers, since the service they provide can't be provided without participating in the ceremony.

It is a shame that more Christians don't understand their faith enough to know how to react to gay people. They put the specific and out of context words of men (the Bible) over the core message of their savior, Jesus.
    Fucking amen!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    I wonder if she ever visits Jisreal. It’s like Isreal, but for Jews.

I think you should be allowed to refuse service to anyone for any reason at all. Maybe its a dude that you know is a douche and you just don't want to sell him pizza. I don't care about that.

What I have a problem with is "religious beliefs" being anywhere near law. No religion could survive a court hearing if they had to rule whether or not it exists beyond a reasonable doubt. There is 0 proof of any religion being reality.

So when it is applied to our law, which should be iron clad logic... that makes me very, very uneasy.

10+ Year Old Account

because movies are a LUXURY ITEM. food gas water housing ARE NOT. prior to the civil rights act those were denied to blacks or segregated in subpar hazardous areas. they still kind of are but for entirely different reasons.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ro9ue View Post
    I think you should be allowed to refuse service to anyone for any reason at all. Maybe its a dude that you know is a douche and you just don't want to sell him pizza. I don't care about that.

What I have a problem with is "religious beliefs" being anywhere near law. No religion could survive a court hearing if they had to rule whether or not it exists beyond a reasonable doubt. There is 0 proof of any religion being reality.

So when it is applied to our law, which should be iron clad logic... that makes me very, very uneasy.
    so your going to refuse money because your holding a dumb grudge. real smart move.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

Quote Originally Posted by breadisfunny View Post

so your going to refuse money because your holding a dumb grudge. real smart move.
    It's not smart at all, but I think that's up to the business owner. No large corporation will ever do it. Small mom and pop shops might, but their services aren't important anyway - or easily replaced with another business.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's not smart at all, but I think that's up to the business owner. No large corporation will ever do it. Small mom and pop shops might, but their services aren't important anyway.
    they are it's the ONLY STORE IN TOWN THAT SELLS IT. as is the case in a LOT of small towns. by small i mean less than 5,000.
    even in the larger towns in some cases you may still end up being the only provider for a certain service or item.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.

they are it's the ONLY STORE IN TOWN THAT SELLS IT. as is the case in a LOT of small towns. by small i mean less than 5,000.
    Every town has a Walmart.

10+ Year Old Account
    no our town doesn't. technically not. we have one 5 miles away. if your black and poor and the only stores have denied you due to discrimination reasons better start walking or hope you have a car. and hope the manager at the local walmart isn't racist too. or feeling discriminatory against whatever you might be.

Deleted
    Doesn't matter if it is a "real smart move" or not - it is his choice.

Just like it is now Christian baker's choice not to bake a cake for a homosexual couple's legal union. The good thing is that he is now protected by law - at least in Mississippi for his choice.

My girlfriend and I were in Mississippi last weekend, supporting it's tourism industry and local economies.

if your black and poor and the only stores have denied you due to discrimination reasons better start walking or hope you have a car. and hope the manager at the local walmart isn't racist too. or feeling discriminatory against whatever you might be.
    But that is not happening - that is a completely bullshit hypothetical made up by you to try and prove a point. Too bad your fantasy is not a reality. Try sticking to legitimate and actual truths instead of your bullshit hyperbole.
    Last edited by mmocc836e66a65; 2016-04-26 at 04:15 PM.

no our town doesn't. technically not. we have one 5 miles away. if your black and poor and the only stores have denied you due to discrimination reasons better start walking or hope you have a car. and hope the manager at the local walmart isn't racist too.
    You aren't looking at this realistically. 90% of places will just take your money. There will always be an alternative within 15miles. Only small and very, very insignificant, probably family-owned mom and pop shops would ever let "religious beliefs" impact their business sales.

That's their choice. It's logical that they are allowed to do this.

That they do this at their own peril is another matter.

1) They lose money = their fault
    2) They might lose customers that are offended by their perspective because they are imposing personal beliefs on their business = also their fault

Just because those are not intelligent business choices doesn't mean they don't have the right to make them. They do.

They will lose money and denied customers will just find an alternative place to do business. This is a non issue.

Just by participating in a free market, if you're a business owner who is denying a customer base, another business will likely open up next to you accepting all customers and put you out of business. Part of the free market is letting corporate Darwinism take place.

Pandaren Monk
    15+ Year Old Account
    Two towns within 300 km of me are less than 400 people, they do not have Walmart.
    Quote Originally Posted by spinner981
    I don't believe in observational proof because I have arrived at the conclusion that such a thing doesn't exist.

Quote Originally Posted by Ransath View Post
    Doens't matter if it is a "eal smart move" or not - it is his choice.

Just like it is now Christian baker's choice not to bake a cake for a homosexual couple's legal union. The good thing is that he is now protected by law - at least in Mississippi for his choice.

My girlfriend and I were in Mississippi last weekend, supporting it's tourism industry and local economies.
    The problem is that things are not that simple. Businesses operate with the legal backing of the state. If a business wishes to serve the public, with the state behind them to support that business, then they need to serve the public, not use their business, as an arm of the state, to discriminate.

- - - Updated - - -

You aren't looking at this realistically. 90% of places will just take your money. There will always be an alternative within 15miles. Only small and very, very insignificant, probably family-owned mom and pop shops would ever let "religious beliefs" impact their business sales.

That's their choice. It's logical that they are allowed to do this.

That they do this at their own peril is another matter.

1) They lose money = their fault
    2) They might lose customers that are offended by their perspective because they are imposing personal beliefs on their business = also their fault

Just because those are not intelligent business choices doesn't mean they don't have the right to make them. They do.

They will lose money and denied customers will just find an alternative place to do business. This is a non issue.

Just by participating in a free market, if you're a business owner who is denying a customer base, another business will likely open up next to you accepting all customers and put you out of business. Part of the free market is letting corporate Darwinism take place.
    There is no such thing as a "free market". All businesses rely on the state to exist.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ransath View Post
    But that is not happening - that is a completely bullshit hypothetical made up by you to try and prove a point. Too bad your fantasy is not a reality. Try sticking to legitimate and actual truths instead of your bullshit hyperbole.
    Except that was reality, for decades and decades, until the government stepped in and stopped it.

10+ Year Old Account
    And if Walmart says they'll no longer serve you, 'cause religion?
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-