Page 33 of 103 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    I see no problem, if they don't want the business and money let them.

I have been refused service at restaurants for being alone, and some places would not even give me prices on cars I wanted to buy.

Where my protection for being a single loner loser dude.

Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    But there is no federal law stating you cannot discriminate against gay people. On top of that, the initial anti-discrimination laws were nothing more than people forcing their beliefs onto others. And when it comes to private businesses, it is your belief that they should be forced to serve gay people... and you want to use the government to force that belief onto everyone. As for your last sentence, that is precisely what you are doing. You think your morals matter, and you think the government should bend in your favor.
    I'm just arguing from my point of view. I don't know the laws in Mississippi; I know mine. I can still add my opinion that the law in Mississippi shouldn't allow double standards.

Quote Originally Posted by Pangean View Post
    Actually we have been talking all over the place not just Mississippi. And I will point out what I wish, when I wish and any time I wish. Got a problem with that?
    Well I was only talking about Mississippi. Your point does not hold any validity against my statement that this law is legal and constitutional because it does not violate any federal law above it.

Quote Originally Posted by breadisfunny View Post
    oh yes such a terrible world where gay people are allowed to go in shops.
    They'd still be allowed, nice strawman.
    The Fresh Prince of Baudelaire

Banned at least 10 times. Don't give a fuck, going to keep saying what I want how I want to.

Eat meat. Drink water. Do cardio and burpees. The good life.

Quote Originally Posted by Aeluron Lightsong View Post
    trans
    No. If you have a wiener, you're a dude.
    Chicken fried rice is delicious!

Quote Originally Posted by Cyberowl View Post
    I'm just arguing from my point of view. I don't know the laws in Mississippi; I know mine. I can still add my opinion that the law in Mississippi shouldn't allow double standards.
    But your opinion is your belief. And when you want to use the government to force that opinion (belief) onto others, that's when we have a problem. I had the same problem when others had the opinion (belief) that gay people should not be allowed to be married. I did not support them when they did that, and I cannot support you when you try and do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Snakeseye0 View Post
    I think the biggest question to ask is how do you know if someone is gay?
    Ask him if he's into butt stuff.
    Chicken fried rice is delicious!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Calamorallo View Post
    This is just a bit of hyperbole. Considering the non-government driven outcry against every single business who has not accommodated all people, the problem is taking care of itself without intervention.
    your forgetting this is mississippi we are talking about here....they have the confederate flag on their state flag. a symbol of treason and racism.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

But your opinion is your belief. And when you want to use the government to force that opinion (belief) onto others, that's when we have a problem. I had the same problem when others had the opinion (belief) that gay people should not be allowed to be married. I did not support them when they did that, and I cannot support you when you try and do it.
    I'm not the one forcing anything; I'm just stating what the government should, in my opinion, do. Which is apply the same standards for discrimination. And it's not my belief that matters, it's the majorities opinion. The majority is not automatically right, we already had that, but if me thinking that it is in this case makes me some authoritarian hypocrite, that's your opinion and I cba.

I'm out, I need to catch some sleep...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by damajin View Post
    They'd still be allowed, nice strawman.
    you mean like how the jim crow laws "allowed" black people to shop? nice overt bigotry you got there.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lenonis View Post
    Why do bakers bake cakes for weddings for people who already have children? (Thus showing they have had sex out of wedlock)
    Selective sinning!
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

Quote Originally Posted by Jaylock View Post
    Racial discrimination has nothing to do with their religion and belief system. Gay/Trans is a lifestyle choice that people of religion disagree with and have deep rooted religious feelings that living that way is wrong. Whether you agree or not, being able to exercise ones religion is a 1st amendment protected right, and the federal government infringing on that is flat out wrong and unconstitutional.
    Religious freedoms are important. As a Trump supporter as your sig sugguests you can't truly believe that since he wants to stop out the religious freedoms of Muslims. When black people were discriminated against many groups and religions justified it due to their beliefs then too. Having darker skin was believed to be the mark of Cain. Until the 70s Mormons still didn't allow black members because of this. So religious freedom is one thing, using it to hide racism or other hateful ways of thinking is not okay.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

Quote Originally Posted by Lenonis View Post
    Why do bakers bake cakes for weddings for people who already have children? (Thus showing they have had sex out of wedlock)
    Or people that have been divorced, marry others from different religions and the list goes on and on. It is all smoke and mirrors to justify being a bigot.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

15+ Year Old Account
    Telling people who they can and can't love/marry is the epitome of using government to force your belief on someone. Let me put it this way, someone using government to gain their own personal freedom is not big government or using government to enforce anything. You using government to use your belief that affects other people's freedoms, not your own, is using force of governance.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

businesses are well within their rights to refuse service to whomever they choose. i personally wouldnt though, money doesnt discriminate.

you mean like how the jim crow laws "allowed" black people to shop? nice overt bigotry you got there.
    No not like that at all. Right of Refusal practiced by all in good faith doesn't have any kind of malice in it, just a No.

I get that people like you are concerned about the history of things and look at anything like what I'm saying as a rollback but serious people engaging in voluntary transactions with both the moral and legal ability to refuse sale aren't looking to bring back those days. They just want to be able to say No and have someone accept that as final and leave to conduct business elsewhere. Can you find people that fit your concerns? Fuck yeah you can but that stopped being the general way of things quite some time ago.

It would do you some good to realize that.
    The Fresh Prince of Baudelaire

Banned at least 10 times. Don't give a fuck, going to keep saying what I want how I want to.

Eat meat. Drink water. Do cardio and burpees. The good life.

your forgetting this is mississippi we are talking about here....they have the confederate flag on their state flag. a symbol of treason and racism.
    Do you watch the news? Do you see the public outcry every single time one of these controversies arises? Have you seen the number of shops driven out of business? Hypothetically, what do you think would happen if a business opened a "White Only" counter?

(I know - they would be out of business in days because absolutely nobody would be caught dead there).

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by damajin View Post
    While true that's a semantic argument for the overwhelming use of the word in modern language. People don't ask "why do you have that strong aversion of the gays?" they ask "why are you afraid of the gays?" so excuse me for working with the normal word as its' used while you try to pigeonhole my argument with stuff that doesn't matter in a general everyday manner of speaking.
    Look, willful ignorance of basic English is not an argument, no matter how much you want it to be.

You're just straight-up wrong about what the word means. "Homophobia" has never referred to a "fear". Words with the root of "-phobia", in English, do not exclusively refer to fear reactions. You're pretending that they do, and that's just straight up incorrect.

Your hypocrisy comes into play when you complain about other people forcing their beliefs, when that is exactly what you support. How are youany different than the homophobic bigots who banned gay marriage in the first place?
    Nobody's forcing homophobes to NOT be homophobes. Just to stop acting on that homophobia, and infringing on gay people's rights. You've never had a right to do that.

Now, if gay people were trying to ban literally all Christians from getting married, just for being Christian, then you might have an argument. But they aren't, and you don't.

Is there some sort of loop-hole that wouldn't allow an atheist to discriminate against baking a cake for a gay couple? 'Cause, being non-religious, they surely aren't doing it for a religious reason.

That'd be fucking hilarious.