Quote Originally Posted by Rorcanna View Post
    WoD wasn't the height of their history, I still chose it over vanilla servers.

Who the fuck claims that retail has "no content" and then settles for Classic? It's mind-boggling...
    People who have no idea what they're talking about and can't reconcile the fact that they've just grown past the game. So instead of it just being a normal function of basic human development, they talk about how shit the game is. And the way you can find this out is by listening to them talk about Vanilla servers. 99% of the time it's about some nostalgic point.

Because if you take an objective look at Vanilla today, it's shit by comparison to basically every MMO on the market right now.

Legendary!
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by chase123 View Post
    So a small group of people did something that a billion dollar company said was impossible and made a working vanilla server.
    Not profitable.

Quote Originally Posted by PvPHeroLulz View Post
    It doesn't cost money, cause the service is not even being offered. Or is there a Vanilla retail server, being sold by Blizz?

As for Blizz "defending" their IP, why not just adopt the devs and have them doing it officialy for them instead?

I'd say you are silly for buying the primitive "Mine" idea, above collective thinking.
    It doesn't matter which version of World of Warcraft you're playing, it's still World of Warcraft. Which is owned, ran, and currently sold by Blizzard. It doesn't make it any less Blizzards. Collective thinking doesn't change that. Nor does it change the law.
    Bleh

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by KrazyK923 View Post
    People who have no idea what they're talking about and can't reconcile the fact that they've just grown past the game. So instead of it just being a normal function of basic human development, they talk about how shit the game is. And the way you can find this out is by listening to them talk about Vanilla servers. 99% of the time it's about some nostalgic point.

Because if you take an objective look at Vanilla today, it's shit by comparison to basically every MMO on the market right now.
    Fun is objective now?

You're funny, i'll give you that.

Quote Originally Posted by Rue-7 View Post
    Just another naive moron that doesn't understand the concept of copyright or leeching of someone elses idea
    If it was against copyright, all pservers would be gone. Its about how 30 ppl made vanilla server that blizz said was impossible to do and they had 150k active players

Quote Originally Posted by Boathouse View Post
    Everyone I know who played on Nost were actually only playing on it because they never played WoW and wanted to see why it was so hype or refused to play it due to the subscription. They lost potential sales with them. Most played for a few days and never went back.
    How do you lose potential sales if the people never intended to pay for a subscription anyways? Just saying.

And honestly it's easier and less frustrating to try retail WoW than it is to set up a client that will hook into a private server, so you even have that barring people from getting in. Granted that exit point doesn't exist much at all unless it's a current version of WoW, but whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by Fenixhart View Post
    Why should people get access to a service and a game that normally costs money for nothing?
    To be fair, they were not getting access to a service and a game that normally costs money, because that service/game hasn't been provided by Blizz for 9 years now (since TBC release) and they stated themselves they have no intereset in doing so.

This is more similar to emulating gameboy or playstation 1 games on your computer or smartphone than it is to steal/pirate a current videogame.

i'd like to see blizzards subs pre nost and post nost shutdown.

oh wait they don't even announce them anymore because they are abysmal despite their budget.

they are going to gain about $20 a month from this move and they've pissed their fanbase off yet again

will they make a good expansion this time or are they gonna throw in the towel and go for legacy servers

you can't make a "buy this mount now for $25" fun stop trying to change content for macro-transactions

Deleted
    It doesn't matter which version of World of Warcraft you're playing, it's still World of Warcraft. Which is owned, ran, and currently sold by Blizzard. It doesn't make it any less Blizzards.
    Yes, making it a Copyright infringement and theft, whilst the only theft is the data extracted.

Which was not the original claim i spoke against, which was that someone had LITERALLY taken WoW, and repackaged it.

Very different proceeduers and even results.

Legendary!
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Radeghost View Post
    If it was against copyright, all pservers would be gone. Its about how 30 ppl made vanilla server that blizz said was impossible to do and they had 150k active players
    It literally is against the copyright..

Quote Originally Posted by Zoidie View Post
    Do you genuinely think that they were able to just magically make a backend server, with, what I imagine to be a large database, and all the necessary protocols to chat to the client/change data in the database etc with no prior knowledge and somehow getting it right almost immediately, with a STABLE/bugish free enviroment?

Just does not sound plausible at all.
    Well. Yes. Thats how it works. Also nostalrius is releasing its core which is based on cmangos emulator which is free and opensource.

Quote Originally Posted by PenguinChan View Post
    How do you lose potential sales if the people never intended to pay for a subscription anyways? Just saying.

And honestly it's easier and less frustrating to try retail WoW than it is to set up a client that will hook into a private server, so you even have that barring people from getting in. Granted that exit point doesn't exist much at all unless it's a current version of WoW, but whatever.
    The key word is potential. A player who tries Nost because they just wanted to try WoW is still a potential customer whether they did purchase it or not.
    Bleh

Quote Originally Posted by PvPHeroLulz View Post
    Burden of Proof, please
    Yes I am certain every single person on there are just frothing at the mouth to throw 15 dollars at blizzard for legion now that they've closed down the free server they've been playing for likely years. Get real. Most of them are there because they don't pay a god damn cent and scratches their vanilla itch. Most of those guys were never going to pay for legion in the first place, because it aint their precious vanilla.
    Khadgar: Prepare to heroically CTRL-E through the portal with me!

Quote Originally Posted by Hooky View Post
    yeah wow cool..how about raising the valor cap consider WoD isn't that far away? 1000 valor points gets u a lollipop and kick in the nutsack these days! Back in my day we could get a bucket of candy and a pet ferret with that sort of points!
    Quote Originally Posted by Herecius View Post
    QUICKLY FRIENDS, TO THE HYPERBOLEMOBILE!

7+ Year Old Account
    But you would offer the same Harry Potter. Nostalrius was vanilla.
    You would sell that reprinted Harry Potter. Nostalrius was free and there was no item shop or anything
    I would upload "Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone" to a blog. I'd make a few edits.

It would not be legal.
    Not enough content? Change you dislike?
    Unsub or sub later. Give Blizzard feedback, "vote" with money.
    Give feedback through official channels → quit paying.

Legendary!
    15+ Year Old Account
    Well. Yes. Thats how it works. Also nostalrius is releasing its core which is based on cmangos emulator which is free and opensource.
    You should tell Blizzard, that will surely make it ok.

Quote Originally Posted by thilicen View Post
    You should tell Blizzard, that will surely make it ok.
    It is ok, I think they got sued over their website packed with Blizzard copyrighted artworks

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Doomchicken View Post
    Yes I am certain every single person on there are just frothing at the mouth to throw 15 dollars at blizzard for legion now that they've closed down the free server they've been playing for likely years. Get real. Most of them are there because they don't pay a god damn cent and scratches their vanilla itch. Most of those guys were never going to pay for legion in the first place, because it aint their precious vanilla.
    You wish to claim that your opinion is objective fact, for such a large amount of people, that you cannot even comprehend how much it is?

Alright.

Legendary!
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rogue83 View Post
    Prostitutes are actually getting payed for their services, but you are a Blizzard whore and get nothing. Sad.
    Your 20 last arguments in this thread has been "you are a whore", you feeling ok?

The key word is potential. A player who tries Nost because they just wanted to try WoW is still a potential customer whether they did purchase it or not.
    And that potential was 800k players. Chances are slim the majority of those were even thinking about trying and paying for Retail, as you have to KNOW about private servers in the first place. At the same time, some were just playing it instead of retail because they were waiting for legion. Some even played it TOGETHER, as is obvious with posts here, Reddit, and their official forums.

The potential loss of players probably is minuscule.

10+ Year Old Account
    Blizz should allow to make private realms, but in few conditions.

1: Only older expansions or vanila.

2: No gaining money from that.

3: No custom stuff.

And i think, it could be fine?