Quote Originally Posted by pjongjongjeng View Post
    10/10
    /chars
    You think you do, but you don't ©
    Rogues are fine ©
    We're pretty happy with rogues ©
    Haste will fix it ©

Quote Originally Posted by Kilz View Post
    It's funny that you exaggerated the cost by so much when you're approaching this from the "realist" PoV.
    https://www.reddit.com/r/NostalriusB...core_team_ama/

NostalriusBegins[S] 40 points 3 months ago
    At the beginning of the server (2010/03), Nostalrius never asked anything from its playerbase, no shop, no donation.
    After the release of Nostalrius Begins, the population numbers went far beyond our expectations, and we had to change the whole infrastructure to handle the upcoming players joining Nostalrius. At this point, we were no longer able to handle the extra costs by ourselves, and asked our community for help and our community provided! We would like to thank all our kind players who helped us handling this cost: Nostalrius would not be what it has become without you !
    To sum up, our whole infrastructure that costs today between 500€ - 1000€ per month is supported by our community, and no one within the Nostalrius team has received any personal income as a result of the server and never will.

That last bit was an ass covering tactic. As soon as it gets mentioned that they made even a dollar off the game Blizzard would have given them a court date. This was before the gigantic influx of players thanks to streamers. Which would increase the prices even further.

So now who's making stuff up?
    Last edited by Boathouse; 2016-04-07 at 10:05 AM.
    Bleh

Quote Originally Posted by pateuvasiliu View Post
    Nost was a pretty shitty server. Lots of bugs, laughable GM team and the whole '' 4 years in dev '' was a complete and utter sham.
    I don't think you played Nost, I played it and it was extremely well polished and the GM Team was good, It was volunteer work so its not going to be as amazing as if blizzard did it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kilz View Post
    So you took the top end number and said it was the low end and you think that defends your exaggeration. What a class act.
    Look at the date. Look at the population differences between recently and then and do the math yourself, I'm sure you passed grade school math. The servers skyrocketed in population after the whole Sodapoppin crap that happened. He get's more viewers daily than they had logged in at any given time. Even them all logging in for a month would have doubled the server cost.
    Last edited by Boathouse; 2016-04-07 at 10:08 AM.
    Bleh

Deleted
    Hopefully what happened to this private server will happend with others, sooner or later. First thing you do well Blizzard, well done.

Quote Originally Posted by Boathouse View Post
    Do you know how much a server would cost to run the traffic that Nost had? Do you? Easily over 1k US monthly, and that's low balling it. Do you think they were paying for it out of pocket? Nope! In fact they took donations to keep the servers running since the start! Let's say that they weren't making any money off it personally, just to say it. Taking donations to run something like that pushed it past the point of being illegal. Right there there was a cash transfer to keep something running that wasn't theres to run to begin with. Hobby or not. It was theft. Just because you don't think it should be an issue , doesn't make it any less of one. You can't just pick and chose what you think should be illegal and what punishments should be dished out to what. That's a dangerous road to start crossing.

Actually it was like $2200 a year per server, so yeah it basically cost nothing. It breaks down to something like a $.05 per player per year. Oh boy all that money it would cost Blizzard, shoo that would be rough. ( Obviously I know there would be more cost involved than just server access, but if people think that is the great deal breaker they are sorely mistaken).

Buddy and I are trying to figure out what to do, logged into live tonight and both of my servers are dead and other than gearing my 14th alt I have zip to do, especially with it being pet battle weekend.

Deleted
    They just killed free PR they received thru this private server. Those people wont come back to play on retail, they could've if you let tchem relive Vanilla and then decide they want something better...

Quote Originally Posted by Armourboy View Post
    Actually it was like $2200 a year per server, so yeah it basically cost nothing. It breaks down to something like a $.05 per player per year. Oh boy all that money it would cost Blizzard, shoo that would be rough. ( Obviously I know there would be more cost involved than just server access, but if people think that is the great deal breaker they are sorely mistaken).

Buddy and I are trying to figure out what to do, logged into live tonight and both of my servers are dead and other than gearing my 14th alt I have zip to do, especially with it being pet battle weekend.
    I posted where they said server cost prices from 3 months ago which is before the spike in players. For a service to run a game like WoW with as smooth as a connection as Nost had, I can promise you that you'll never find a company that can host that for 2 grand a year. If you're to follow the 800,000 registered accounts logging in once at your math of .05 cents per player that would equal 16,000 dollars. That's not counting the constant stress of their average stated 15,000 players.
    Last edited by Boathouse; 2016-04-07 at 10:15 AM.
    Bleh

Well I read the first 50 pages, might do the rest sometime later. Its quite insane how fast this thread is growing, it started right when I went to bed and when I woke up it was at 95 freaking pages already O.o

First of all, I've played in Nostalrius myself lately and currently have a level 15 undead mage who is about halfway in Silverpine. And I can say its the most fun I had since the last 6 years on retail, it really was THAT amazing. The questing was harder and slower, but that doesn't mean its less fun, if anything thats MORE fun to me. You had to be careful were you wanted to spend your money, as it was a lot harder to earn and you had to spend a lot more on new ablities and such. But best of all I actually felt immersed, Silverpine Forest looked absolutely amazing from below. The Silverpine in retail is just filled with stuff, forsaken NPC's everywhere who sometimes fight worgen, imo it killed all the immersion. But yeah this is as far as I can say how much I enjoyed vanilla, but I was actually looking forward to level even more, unlike anything else I can do in retail.

Secondly, it just shows as yet another desperate move by Blizzard. Nostalrius wasn't damaging anyone, and I very much doubt their community is interested in going back to retail if they were to shut down. To me it seems like they are afraid of Nostalrius getting more and more popular, while retail is just dying more and more until Legion may finally release some day. The old Blizzard doesn't seem scumbaggy enough to pull such a thing, but then again they once said the game would never have microtransactions because it felt like they were cheating their playerbase, now look what happened.

Third and at least, by reading the first 50 pages it amazes me that so many people are actually glad that it got taken down. It never effected you in any way, and there were a lot of people that enjoyed playing that game, so why being such a killjoy? It reeks of misery. It just shows how bad the community on retail really is, they can't even allow ''other'' WoW players to have their fun if they don't support Blizzard in any way. And why the sudden change of being a moral rider or whatever it is called, when you call out on the servers illegality? People illegally download stuff ALL THE TIME, whether it'll be music, movies and other games. I very much doubt that anyone here hasn't illegally streamed or pirated anything, or you must have no friends who'd also like to pirate a lot of stuff and would be happily show you whatever they downloaded. Even watching a simple parody of some cartoon on Youtube is about as illegal. I have watched a lot of series like Game of Thrones and Walking Dead, and I gladly admit I pirated them all. Never spended a dime, and to add it up I pirated a lot of games and music. Not feeling any shame, so sorry about that.

Quote Originally Posted by Cheekin View Post
    They just killed free PR they received thru this private server. Those people wont come back to play on retail, they could've if you let tchem relive Vanilla and then decide they want something better...
    They likely weren't going to go back to retail to begin with. Not with the option of playing the game for free.

Quote Originally Posted by McNeil View Post
    Well I read the first 50 pages, might do the rest sometime later. Its quite insane how fast this thread is growing, it started right when I went to bed and when I woke up it was at 95 freaking pages already O.o

First of all, I've played in Nostalrius myself lately and currently have a level 15 undead mage who is about halfway in Silverpine. And I can say its the most fun I had since the last 6 years on retail, it really was THAT amazing. The questing was harder and slower, but that doesn't mean its less fun, if anything thats MORE fun to me. You had to be careful were you wanted to spend your money, as it was a lot harder to earn and you had to spend a lot more on new ablities and such. But best of all I actually felt immersed, Silverpine Forest looked absolutely amazing from below. The Silverpine in retail is just filled with stuff, forsaken NPC's everywhere who sometimes fight worgen, imo it killed all the immersion. But yeah this is as far as I can say how much I enjoyed vanilla, but I was actually looking forward to level even more, unlike anything else I can do in retail.

Secondly, it just shows as yet another desperate move by Blizzard. Nostalrius wasn't damaging anyone, and I very much doubt their community is interested in going back to retail if they were to shut down. To me it seems like they are afraid of Nostalrius getting more and more popular, while retail is just dying more and more until Legion may finally release some day. The old Blizzard doesn't seem scumbaggy enough to pull such a thing, but then again they once said the game would never have microtransactions because it felt like they were cheating their playerbase, now look what happened.

Third and at least, by reading the first 50 pages it amazes me that so many people are actually glad that it got taken down. It never effected you in any way, and there were a lot of people that enjoyed playing that game, so why being such a killjoy? It reeks of misery. It just shows how bad the community on retail really is, they can't even allow ''other'' WoW players to have their fun if they don't support Blizzard in any way. And why the sudden change of being a moral rider or whatever it is called, when you call out on the servers illegality? People illegally download stuff ALL THE TIME, whether it'll be music, movies and other games. I very much doubt that anyone here hasn't illegally streamed or pirated anything, or you must have no friends who'd also like to pirate a lot of stuff and would be happily show you whatever they downloaded. Even watching a simple parody of some cartoon on Youtube is about as illegal. I have watched a lot of series like Game of Thrones and Walking Dead, and I gladly admit I pirated them all. Never spended a dime, and to add it up I pirated a lot of games and music. Not feeling any shame, so sorry about that.
    Spot on, 10/10.

Quote Originally Posted by Xaxi View Post
    Hopefully what happened to this private server will happend with others, sooner or later. First thing you do well Blizzard, well done.

are you serious? How does this even affect you? you're basically saying "yeah fuck all those people having fun. Good job ruining their fun blizzard" Closing these servers does nothing to retail wow.So if you don't play the servers then it doesn't affect you, why do you feel the need to hate on them? Closing these servers does nothing to retail wow

Quote Originally Posted by connor778 View Post
    are you serious? How does this even affect you? you're basically saying "yeah fuck all those people having fun. Good job ruining their fun blizzard" Closing these servers does nothing to retail wow.So if you don't play the servers then it doesn't affect you, why do you feel the need to hate on them? Closing these servers does nothing to retail wow
    More like screw those guys using illegal servers.

Deleted
    Fock with Blizz.

When they will finally find out that to make some old servers for Vanilla WoW or TBC wow is the right move for the community that wants those servers. Blizz is stupid and do not want to do this so ppl found some private servers where they are playing good old days WoW. Now they are shutting this server down but in an exchange nothing. What about to create some Vanilla wow server Blizz ? A lot of begging on officail forums for this action , a lot of begging here on MMO champ for creating at least one focking Vanilla server...

Crap they just lost me for Legion. I never played on private servers but I was happy that there is some possibility to play good old days WoW in case I will get fed up with retail. I think this is bad move from Blizz. Hope they will finally find that brain in their ass and create some TBC and Vanilla servers for us...

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Naxalia View Post
    They likely weren't going to go back to retail to begin with. Not with the option of playing the game for free.
    I've payed a sub for 7 years. I recently counted all the money I spent on WoW stuff, subs, games, collectibles. I spent 1400 euros over the last 7 years. Money is not the issue. When I played on Nostalrius last year, it was cause it was Vanilla and I was sick of retail. When I stopped playing on Nostalrius, it wasn't because I wanted back to retail. Retail still sucks. People need to get that through their thick skulls.

Deleted
    I played on private TBC server to relive my memories. Had fun but there were too many bugs or scripts lacking. So I came back to retail. Have I not played on that private server I would probably not come back to retail WoW at all. I bet there are many more people like me.

Quote Originally Posted by connor778 View Post
    Dont waste time answering mongoloids, dude..

10+ Year Old Account
    You can never have vanilla again, OP. Ever again.

Quote Originally Posted by pjongjongjeng View Post
    I've payed a sub for 7 years. I recently counted all the money I spent on WoW stuff, subs, games, collectibles. I spent 1400 euros over the last 7 years. Money is not the issue. when I played on Nostalrius last year, it was cause it was Vanilla and I was sick of retail. When I stopped playing on Nostalrius, it wasn't because I wanted back to retail. Retail still sucks. People need to get that through their thick skulls.
    Speaking of thick skulls: No matter how you people try to rationalize it, it was illegal. Period.
    "You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist."
    Friedrich Nietzsche

More like screw those guys using illegal servers.
    Yeah totally, they should be using the legal vanilla servers.......

get out of here with the bs bro