Quote Originally Posted by Boathouse View Post
    Hasn't Blizzard in the past responded to the data mining thing with something simple like "Don't trust it, subject to change, etc, etc." Hell they even link to wowhead on their site. It's different since you know, they support the sites that do it. They have Blizzards permission. Not all do, but MMO-C and Wowhead for sure do.

Edit: Holy shit thotbot still exists and looks the same as it did in 2004
    Maybe, I wouldn't know, honestly. What I do pretty much know is the big majority of people who are so strongly judging others didn't go and check if such sites have or not Blizzard's permission.

They did respond, in fact they even chose to spoil cutscenes themselves because they would get datamined and decrypted anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by pjongjongjeng View Post
    And if they don't consent, and you still post videos with WoW material on youtube or anywhere else, you are literally stealing from them.

Consent can be withdrawn at any time.

Yes means yes.
    I shall assume you haven't been assed to read what i said. so i will paste in and put in bold for you and underline a point in it

As a community content creator, you are permitted to create video productions using Blizzard’s Content, and to distribute them freely on your website, or on other websites where viewers can freely view your Production.

Yes consent can be revoked at any time but blizzard would let everyone know when they did that

10+ Year Old Account
    Really disappointing.
    Content drought is a combination of catchup mechanics and no new content.

Quote Originally Posted by Idoru View Post
    If Blizzard came out and said that they didn't want MMO-C and others to datamine, then I would respect that decision.
    What they have said is "Do not use out IP without our permission", and you people refuse to respect that.
    But they have, it's in the EULA

I'm not saying Blizz is evil or anything.

Just saying while illegal, not everything it resulted in was negative.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Rehok View Post
    Yeah its not the same game anymore (i played on Nost and Enjoyed it), Pretty sure forthe Pokemon games you need to own the actual game to get the ROM to allow you to play those?,

Question for everyone in here, If blizzard allowed NostWoW to continue but act as an official server e.g. its goes through the server list and you need a sub to play it but the NostWOW guys maintained it etc would you re-sub?
    Nope. I would miss too many features and neat things that they have added later. Also, I liked BC and Wrath and MoP in terms of zones and environment, would not want to miss that, either. Missing out on transmog and all the beautiful items we got after Classic would be a no-go for me as well (I love most BC tier sets and Wrath also had some great sets and items). Finally, no BE and no Draenei? Fuck off! I loved their addition, even though they had to retcon Eredar lore for that. I also would not want to miss my beloved Ork Blood DK tank, or my crazy Goblin Ele Shaman, and certainly not my flying.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ofcourse they had to close it down, more and more people even the post wotlk kids started to get into it and enjoy it which made it more obvious for so many people how much of a steaming pile of shit retail is today.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ehuehuecopter View Post
    i prefer " A bunch of kids that pay to stay afk in the garrison are masturbating at the shutdown of a vanilla server "
    10/10 spot on

Quote Originally Posted by Kolvarg View Post
    Not saying it's exactly the same ofc. But if you are defending people must respect Blizzard's option of protecting their IP, shouldn't you also respect their option of not wanting people looking at the game's files?

And I don't mean all this specifically just to you, not personal.
    All fair, but, I don't think data mining equals to running a server who could eventually take away new players.

Yeeeaaaah. I realize that hosting a server like that isn't cheap but the fact that they were taking donations to support it was digging their own grave. If you're someone who was enjoying the private server and now its gone then I empathize with the fact that your hobby was taken away but these things are always doomed to failure. They either crumble under the costs of supporting them or last long enough to get hit with a cease and desist.

People here arguing the semantics over what is and isn't technically stealing are completely ignoring that this isn't defensible due to the fact they were taking donations. They were making money off an IP that didn't belong to them. That's illegal. Doesn't matter what those funds were going towards.

Currently playing Borderlands 1 remaster. Amped for Borderlands 3.
    Add me on the PSN for jolly-cooperation @ PuppetShoJustice

Quote Originally Posted by Kolvarg View Post
    But they have, it's in the EULA

I'm not saying Blizz is evil or anything.

Just saying while illegal, not everything it resulted in was negative.
    It's still Blizzards choice to enforce it.
    "You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist."
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemonpartyfan View Post
    How do you actually know they weren't making any money?
    People have been saying they were about to shut down due to a lack of funding. Nost didn't have a cash shop, and it didn't beg for donations. They weren't exactly profiting off of Blizzard's work.

I don't get why Blizzard would do this. Its only going to generate bad publicity. They're not planning on opening a Vanilla server so its not to protect their business. They could have left Nost alone with no real consequences, do they really think that this tactic is going to win more Legion subs?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Rehok View Post
    I shall assume you haven't been assed to read what i said. so i will paste in and put in bold for you and underline a point in it

As a community content creator, you are permitted to create video productions using Blizzard’s Content, and to distribute them freely on your website, or on other websites where viewers can freely view your Production.

Yes consent can be revoked at any time but blizzard would let everyone know when they did that
    And if they stop being a partner of Blizzard, and you upload a video of you playing World of Warcraft to youtube, that is literally theft and you should go to prison for that you filthy thief. Also, if you upload the same video to any site that isn't their partner, you are literally stealing from Blizzard and should go to prison.

with the high volume of players who were active on the server I'm beginning to wonder if "you dont want that" is actually a feasible statement

Quote Originally Posted by Summoner2 View Post
    Im pretty sure you can claim you do it as a hobby.
    Not if you take money for it.

The hostin server can't possibly know what everyone is doing with their account/servers at any given time.
    It is there responsibility to know and as mentioned, they have received donations for this. That'd flag as odd even if the server was low-key.

If according to your argument, Blizzard can dictate who can emulate private servers and who doesn't, then they have the right to allow x server to exist while y don't if they so want.
    The law doesn't work that way. Unless blizzard makes the nost team an official partner (which has implications as they aren't actually a legal entity & have no reason to work in blizzards interest, effectively nothing to lose) they cnanot allow one without allowing EVERYONE To use their trademarks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    which is kind of like saying "of COURSE you can't see the unicorns, unicorns are invisible, silly."

10+ Year Old Account
    Lol at all the fanboys being happy about this. This server literally did not affect you in any way possible. All the closing down does of this server is make people despise blizzard more.

Fuck blizzard. They ruined the work of so many people by doing this. People wanted to play vanilla, blizzard said they won't release oldschool servers themselves so they play on a private server. Then they go and shut it down. Most likely because that one server alone had more players on it than one official WoW realm lmfao.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zerfenus View Post
    Since a lot of people have brought up the EULA, i'm just wondering how long are you bound to the EULA?
    You are tied into the EULA from the moment of account creation, until the moment you notify them that you wish to terminate the agreement or the agreement is terminated by Blizzard because they are no longer going to provide the service, or through a breach they remove your access.

TERM AND TERMINATION.

Term.
    This Agreement is effective upon your creation of an Account, and shall remain in effect until for a reasonable period of time. In the event that Blizzard chooses to cease providing Battle.net, or license to a third party the right to provide Battle.net, Blizzard shall provide you with no less than three (3) months prior notice. Neither Battle.net nor Blizzard’s agreement to provide access to Battle.net shall be considered a rental or lease of time on the capacity of Blizzard's servers or other technology.
    Termination.
    You are entitled to terminate this Agreement at any time by notifying Blizzard by email at support@blizzard.com.
    Blizzard reserves the right to terminate this Agreement at any time for any reason, or for no reason, with or without notice to you. For purposes of explanation and not limitation, most Account suspensions and terminations are the result of violations of this Agreement. In case of minor violations of these rules, Blizzard may provide you with a prior warning and/or suspend your use of the Account due to your non-compliance prior to terminating the Agreement or modifying or deleting an Account.
    In the event of a termination of this Agreement, any right to any and all payments you may have made for pre-purchased game access to certain Games are forfeit, and you agree and acknowledge that you are not entitled to any refund for any amounts which were pre-paid on your Account prior to any termination of this Agreement, and you will not be able to use Battle.net to play Games.
    Source: http://us.blizzard.com/en-us/company/legal/eula

Hunter| Warlock | Shaman | Paladin
    "In the light.. We are one"

Quote Originally Posted by Kavoo View Post
    All fair, but, I don't think data mining equals to running a server who could eventually take away new players.
    It could also eventually bring new players to retail. I know multiple people who only subscribe 12months/year to this day because they first tried WoW on private servers.

I know and understand "why" such servers get shut down. I don't blame them. What I don't understand is the strong aversion some people are showing towards any form of piracy under any cirucmstances like it's the devil incarnate with absolutely no positive value.

Quote Originally Posted by ribald View Post
    Not going to bother reading the whole thread since I can see from the first few pages its mostly going to be the fanboys clapping their hands with glee.

Nost was great fun and had a good community, and the people running were hardly making money off of the server. I dont see how you can argue it was stealing business from Blizzard when it was free and was basically offering a different game to retail. Use the mental gymnastics you want to make out this was some noble act, this just stinks of overcompensation on Blizzard's part because some people didn't like what they did with retail.

I'm genuinely a little upset, glad you're all so happy.
    The only people committing mental gymnastics are people like yourself. If half the thread are fanboys and the other have are irrational haters too biased by their own childish and selfish desires to understand or care that what they were doing was wrong and attempt to shittly and horribly rationalize their shittyness. The only thing that matters is that you wanted a vanilla server and you enjoyed it. Stolen material and illegal use of someone else's Intellectual property be damned. You got something you wanted and that's all that matters.

It doesn't matter if it was a little money or tons of money, you don't get to steal other people's shit and then make money off it or steal people's shit and fiddle around with it as you please to make your own FTP game. It doesn't matter if it stole a million customers or 10, or even zero. They stole Blizzard's property and just because they used stolen Blizzard property to recreate something you like, which was itself stolen blizzard property, doesn't make it right. All you're doing is selfishly asking blizzard to not defend their property and hard work and investment so you can have something you want. Period. While at the same time exposing them to a huge legal risk that if someone steals from them "bad enough" to justify it in your selfish mind they wont have recourse.
    Last edited by shimerra; 2016-04-07 at 11:38 AM.
    “Logic: The art of thinking and reasoning in strict accordance with the limitations and incapacities of the human misunderstanding.”
    "Conservative, n: A statesman who is enamored of existing evils, as distinguished from the Liberal who wishes to replace them with others."
    Ambrose Bierce
    The Bird of Hermes Is My Name, Eating My Wings To Make Me Tame.

Quote Originally Posted by ribald View Post
    People have been saying they were about to shut down due to a lack of funding. Nost didn't have a cash shop, and it didn't beg for donations. They weren't exactly profiting off of Blizzard's work.

I don't get why Blizzard would do this. Its only going to generate bad publicity. They're not planning on opening a Vanilla server so its not to protect their business. They could have left Nost alone with no real consequences, do they really think that this tactic is going to win more Legion subs?
    You don't know if they pocketed money or not.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemonpartyfan View Post
    You don't know if they pocketed money or not.
    I like how you're trying to make them sound like master criminals. You don't run a free private server to make money.