Quote Originally Posted by Lemonpartyfan View Post
    I agree. I was replying to someone acting as if the people running that server are saints.

- - - Updated - - -

Proof, please.
    "As soon as we received this letter, we decided to inform the team and players about the future of Nostalrius, where we have all passionately committed our time and energy as volunteers." - https://en.nostalrius.org/

"During this time, we dedicated our free time, health & money to recreate this version of World of Warcraft, more than 10 years after you released the first expansion. We trained several entire teams: development, software validation, customers service (also named Game Masters), communication, … as we wanted to be as professional as possible even as a completely volunteer team" - https://www.change.org/p/michael-mor...iter=522873458

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Sturmbringe View Post
    @ Nostalrius players & WoW Vanilla enthusiasts:

Members of the Nostalrius community will re-host Nostalrius in Finland as a non-profit organization under Finnish Law.

Hosting a private server is absolutely 100% legal in Finland. Doing so is is NOT CRIMINAL and it is explicitly sanctioned in the Finnish copyright act, Sections 25j and 25k.

Furthermore, according to the Finnish law, membership in an organization is considered personal information and thus the new non-profit organization may not provide your membership information or confirm or deny the fact that you are a member to any 3rd party, such as Blizzard.

Look for more information at the Nostalrius forums.

In the unlikely event that Nostalrius will ever face any issue while being hosted in Finland in the future, the volunteers will just move the server to the Russian Federation, where it will be outside the reach of the USA or the EU, exactly like the Russian Private Vanilla Wow Server "Valkyrie".
    That's a very good news. Lately Nostalrius was the only way I was able to enjoy WoW (and this has nothing to do with money).

So my previous question was not answered:

What constitutes an 'active player'? The claim was that the server had 150K active players. How is this measured? Over a 7 day period, over a 30 day period, over a 3 month period? Is it only logging in, or is it a certain amount of play time per day/per week/per month. This figure is being spouted as a reason why Blizzard should give vanilla servers, because they are clearly so popular, yet no real data was given on how an active player is defined. Could also just be some random number somebody read and is now repeating it as fact. Give actual data.

Also, to those saying this was non-profit, you are wrong. The hardware being rented was not being given for free, the company hosting the server was making a profit and as the server needs grow, so did their profit. With any private server, somebody somewhere is always making a profit using another company's assests, whether directly or indirectly.

Quote Originally Posted by Rehok View Post
    "As soon as we received this letter, we decided to inform the team and players about the future of Nostalrius, where we have all passionately committed our time and energy as volunteers." - https://en.nostalrius.org/

"During this time, we dedicated our free time, health & money to recreate this version of World of Warcraft, more than 10 years after you released the first expansion. We trained several entire teams: development, software validation, customers service (also named Game Masters), communication, … as we wanted to be as professional as possible even as a completely volunteer team" - https://www.change.org/p/michael-mor...iter=522873458
    That doesn't mean anything to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Noodlesoup View Post
    I'm on neither side of this discussion
    Registered april 2016, five posts and your post reeks of being mad and everyone who doesn't jump to the defense of those poor disenfranchised people is pathetic. Quite believable story.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Aggrophobic View Post
    Haha. Read the fine print and try again. You don't like it? Don't buy it.
    What fine print? The game is at my house. I do own it. Just like every other game. What is Blizzard gonna do, come to my house and take it away? Slap the keyboard out of my hand when I play on a private server? I win.

Quote Originally Posted by Zolascius View Post
    did Blizzard release that code? Was it leaked? No.
    Actually, a lot of vanilla Alpha, Beta and release code was stolen/leaked, and has been used for making private servers.
    "You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist."
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Deleted
    Members of the Nostalrius community will re-host Nostalrius in Finland as a non-profit organization under Finnish Law.

Hosting a private server is absolutely 100% legal in Finland. Doing so is is NOT CRIMINAL and it is explicitly sanctioned in the Finnish copyright act, Sections 25j and 25k.
    Oh look, a country that doesn't think companies are allowed to write their own laws under the guise of distributed 'licenses'; how alien and un-american of them. (Much love Finland).

Actually, a lot of vanilla Alpha, Beta and release code was stolen/leaked, and has been used for making private servers.
    Can guarantee you that it was sufficiently edited to be unrecognisable.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue83 View Post
    STFU white knight Bli$$ard fanboy
    (im just hankering down so senpai notices me and gives me legion alpha, overwatch beta wasn't enough)
    :^J

Quote Originally Posted by Rehok View Post

You left out the part were they admitted to taking donations.
    "You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist."
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Deleted

Furthermore, according to the Finnish law, membership in an organization is considered personal information and thus the new non-profit organization may not provide your membership information or confirm or deny the fact that you are a member to any 3rd party, such as Blizzard.

In the unlikely event that Nostalrius will ever face any issue while being hosted in Finland in the future, the volunteers will just move the server to the Russian Federation, where it will be outside the reach of the USA or the EU, exactly like the Russian Private Vanilla Wow Server "Valkyrie".
    Neat, link to the source?

Quote Originally Posted by Raiju View Post
    That's nice n all, but are they just leaving their old host to crash and burn against blizzard lawyers? Seems a bit of a dick move.
    They also keep touting the word 'non-profit' when in actual fact, the hosting company will be making a profit from this. Blizzard can very easily send the hosting company a cease and desist because they are allowing Blizzard IP to be run illegally on their server while also making money form it.

Quote Originally Posted by M1r4g3 View Post
    You do realise people actually do that right? With cars that are no longer in production and/or are or were super expensive. Should they get raided by the FBI if they try and give it out for free? Or sell it?
    I understand, but i doubt there is a single person in this thread that could assemble a car.

Deleted

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by pallyken View Post
    Congratulations, you learned what 15K people could not. There is a reason why vanilla transitioned to BC and so on.
    What you fail to understand is that fun is subjective when it comes to video games. So 15K people enjoy Vanilla as a game more than the current version of the game and thats fine, there will Always be people like that.

A lot of people also like to look through the rose-tinted glasses and instantly quit after a few hours of play or once they've capped.

Also, there are those that didnt get to play the "original" version and want to have a go to see how it was.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Viikkis View Post
    Now waiting for other big servers to go down aswell *cough* Lolten

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0UIZ2bTS2oM
    Not gonna happen you sad pathetic Bli$$ard fanboy. But hey, you can always jerk off to the announcement of Nost shutting down. /spit

I just made a post regarding some of the reasons why I think Blizzard should host Vanilla servers. Feel free to check it out.
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/20742936944

Quote Originally Posted by Zoidie View Post
    They also keep touting the word 'non-profit' when in actual fact, the hosting company will be making a profit from this. Blizzard can very easily send the hosting company a cease and desist because they are allowing Blizzard IP to be run illegally on their server while also making money form it.
    They are taking the hosting company to court I thought I read, so the nost team is basically dropping this on them and fucking off to Finland.
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    which is kind of like saying "of COURSE you can't see the unicorns, unicorns are invisible, silly."

Deleted
    I guess it was coming sooner or later. Sucks though, I wish they would just make an official one, the retail still continues suck at the moment and I don't see Legion changing that besides the initial launch.

I can sort of understand the desire for legacy servers, since unlike an old NES game or something like that, you have no way of actually going back and playing the old content since so much of it has been removed from the live version of the game. It is kind of weird that the old leveling zones are basically going to be stuck in the Cataclysm era permanently, and while this was cool when Cata was new it kind of feels odd now and there's practically no chance of another world revamp to bring it all up to the modern storyline. However, I doubt they will ever go back on the wall of no when it comes to legacy servers, I doubt they could get away charging a subscription fee for it and all that.