10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelzza View Post
    This makes no sense????

Can you say, honestly, that your money from purchasing WoD has been "well-spent" ? Mine hasn't. In fact, there was a huge community uproar with how expensive WoD was in relation to how little content we had.

Nostalrius is not affecting WoW at all. The code Nostalrius used was built from the ground-up, causing a lot of development time and volunteer hours. There is no fee to play the game and Nostalrius makes no revenue off of it.

Tell me again what the big issues is here? Why this sever needed to be shut down? Does it take away from the game for you? You didn't even know it existed until it was beginning to shut down, so what really is the big issue?
    Blizzard was well within their right, though i honestly think the only reason it was shut down was because people were talking about it all the time, and if you are doing something technically Illegal then having a spotlight shined on you just makes it worse. But where is it that they made their server from the ground up? There are easily available, stable, private servers that only need to be modified in order to iron out all the bugs.

Quote Originally Posted by Helltrixz View Post
    I don't even play there and I think this was a salty dick move by blizzard, trying to shove their shit version of the game down people's throat. I will definitely think thrice before ever buying any of their games again.
    Private servers are illegal.
    They got punished. Suck it up buttercup
    Anemo: traveler, Sucrose
    Pyro: Yanfei, Amber, diluc, xiangling, thoma, Xinyan, Bennett
    Geo: Noelle, Ningguang, Yun Jin, Gorou
    Hydro: Barbara, Zingqiu, Ayato
    Cyro: Shenhe, Kaeya, Chongyun, Diona, Ayaka, Rosaria
    Electro: Fischl, Lisa, Miko, Kujou, Raiden, Razor

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aimscoes View Post
    I hope Blizzard will eat dirt soon enough for this move... Once again they did a dickhead move.
    Actually, they did exactly the opposite of that. If they did a "dickhead move," it would be suing them for copyright infringement. And since it's soooo easy to determine the potential damages (~$15 per active account per month), those assholes -- and I'm talking about the people with the illegal server here -- would pretty much be living in poverty for the rest of their lives.
    "There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through out political and culture life, nutured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'" —Isaac Asimov

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aggrophobic View Post
    It has but it doesn't have to. I'm glad they shut that crap down.
    How so? How does it affect your life at all? What does a private server have to do anything with you?

Deleted
    I don't even play there and I think this was a salty dick move by blizzard, trying to shove their shit version of the game down people's throat. I will definitely think thrice before ever buying any of their games again.
    Yea, I didnt even know this server existed before today.. or well last night to be precise.

Most of those Blizzard buttscratchers are ignoring the fact that its not stealing cause Blizzard isnt providing this service and has no intentions of ever providing it.

7+ Year Old Account
    Nope blizzard just uses the barrak obama "Yes We can mentality"
    You can't take what ya can't see... *rolls d20* You rolled a natural 20* The skill of stealth is successful.

Duelingnexus name: Jaina1337
    Blizzard Battle Tag: Jaina1337#1396

Deleted
    This makes no sense????

Can you say, honestly, that your money from purchasing WoD has been "well-spent" ? Mine hasn't. In fact, there was a huge community uproar with how expensive WoD was in relation to how little content we had.

Nostalrius is not affecting WoW at all. The code Nostalrius used was built from the ground-up, causing a lot of development time and volunteer hours. There is no fee to play the game and Nostalrius makes no revenue off of it.

Tell me again what the big issues is here? Why this sever needed to be shut down? Does it take away from the game for you? You didn't even know it existed until it was beginning to shut down, so what really is the big issue?
    To quote one of my favorite characters, Rorschach: "No compromises." You get to understand that while Blizzard possibly don't have the capability / resources to hunt down all private servers, they have the legal right to do so. It's nothing personal, it's law and business. Of course it's a sad thing for people losing their characters - but they should have known that such a day could come eventually. Heck, I will lose my characters on the official servers someday, when WoW gets shut down. Because I don't own anything. I pay to use the game and its assets. I own a licence to the access of the services as long as I pay my subscription or use gaming tokens. The thing is, people playing on private servers who don't have a parallel subscription on an official server are cheaters. This is a lot like bilking or fare dodging. And in the case of people who host private servers and even make money out of it, its even worse.

And here I thought Blizzard lost the code.
    Writing over the code and losing it are 2 different things
    Anemo: traveler, Sucrose
    Pyro: Yanfei, Amber, diluc, xiangling, thoma, Xinyan, Bennett
    Geo: Noelle, Ningguang, Yun Jin, Gorou
    Hydro: Barbara, Zingqiu, Ayato
    Cyro: Shenhe, Kaeya, Chongyun, Diona, Ayaka, Rosaria
    Electro: Fischl, Lisa, Miko, Kujou, Raiden, Razor

10+ Year Old Account
    The code Nostalrius used was built from the ground-up, causing a lot of development time and volunteer hours.
    See, this part right here gets thrown around, but in fact it makes no sense. How the fuck did they build the code from ground up?

What they did was reversed engineered Blizzard's code (illegal) and used their game as their own (illegal).

I agree that it might have cost them a lot of hours to write a stable piece of code for the server to host, but THE game is all property of blizzard and they had no rights whatsoever to create a private server with it.

No matter how you spin it, they wasted many hours doing a crime to host an illegaly obtained and sustained game.

No pity on them, and I actually wish Blizzard made an example out of them and buried those guys in legal shitstorms.

Let's say this straight. Internet piracy is a very serious problem and a one we don't have an easy answer. Computers and the global network changed our perception while we still think that if there's something you cannot touch directly, you can't hold it with your hands, you don't need to pay for it. The problem exists and all efforts to solve it have been fruitless - SOPA, ACTA and PIPA turned out to be problematic and lead to many dangers. I'm a self-published writer, I would prefer for people to buy my books, but I realize that they would rather download them from the internet (which is exactly what they do). But there's nothing I can do. I can't force them to buy my products.

So yes, this is a problem.

However, I'm absolutely disgusted by forum moralists. Those who insist that it's a crime and that criminals should be punished. Like, they say: I'm better than you, my moral is higher than you. This is something I highly doubt, because I know the double nature of the human soul. Sure you're not as innocent as you pretend to be. Sure if I can scan your computers, I'll certainly find something that shouldn't be there - whether it's a casually downloaded copyrighted photo you've already started redistributing this on Facebook, an mp3 song or a software with an expired registration.

I'd rather prefer if people are more merciful to each others. While Nostalrius was clearly against EULA and TOS, it was probably the only way for some people to access the old world, before the Shattering. It's sad that Blizzard is denying the people that opportunity. Just as I enjoy playing Thief (2014) with all of its flaws, I enjoy playing Thief 1, Thief 2, Thief: DS. Why should I be denied playing the old world as it was before.

Thus said, I don't want to play on illegal vanilla servers and I don't do it. I want legal options to do it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ol Scratch View Post
    You mean the toys they illegally stole from their rightful owner? In that case, thanks, I will laugh at you for getting exactly what you deserved! Ha-ha-ha-ha-ha!

Seriously. What kind of mental deficiency does a person have to have to not understand that this shit isn't legal? You can't just go around stealing other people's intellectual properties and then act like you're on the high road of moral superiority, all the while potentially robbing the actual owner -- the people who spent countless manhours creating the vast majority of the content you're stealing, and what tiny, insignificant amount that they didn't create would be worthless without their content (ie, the shitty server code they were using) -- of the money they rightfully deserve for entertaining you.

You people should be ecstatic that Blizzard just had them taken down. They have -every- right to sue them for potential damages, meaning ~$15 per active account PER MONTH that they were operating (Hint: That would be about 2-3 million PER MONTH). And since they were so nice to make that information public, their financial lives would be -over- if Blizzard did, in fact, take that option.
    I'd be happy to pay for playing on legacy servers. If Blizz can't provide that one simple service I'll look elsewhere. Obviously Blizz is well within their rights, still as a consumer of their products I'm not gonna stop critising the way they've butchered the community in the last 7 or so years. The louder we shout about this the more likely Blizzard are to hear us. It have always been so with Blizzard.

Quote Originally Posted by Cherise View Post
    They should just move it to some country where there are no laws against such things. I mean look at torrent sites. Even if they shut them down, they just pop back up a few days later.
    The community is trying to move it to Finland where it is apparently legal.

Elemental Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jestah View Post
    How so? How does it affect your life at all? What does a private server have to do anything with you?
    It poses a threat to something I enjoy.

Deleted
    it's not about the stealing, because if it's so every private server should be sued...it's about that they do shitty content for years now and Nostralius was succesful while their shit wasn't

Quote Originally Posted by Aimscoes View Post
    I hope Blizzard will eat dirt soon enough for this move... Once again they did a dickhead move.
    Actually their stock is up something like 7% from a month ago as of this morning.

From what I've seen, most of y'all weren't paying customers anyway, so closing down Nos ain't gonna hurt the bottom line.
    A crossfitter, a vegan, an atheist, and a vanilla WoW player all walked into a bar. I know because they all told me within 3 minutes.

World of Warcraft: Dying on MMO Champion since 2004

Pre-Alpha WoW tester since 2002.

This makes no sense????

People on Nostalrius are just enjoying their time. We are not causing anyone any harm. Instead of getting on our case, why don't you try pushing Blizzard to do something about the actual people who are causing harm in WoW? How many times have you seen blatant hacking and cheating in rated and casual pvp? Botters for profession and honor? Botters for the auction house? Those affect game play and disrupt the player base, not some private server that has a large, organic community of people who just wish to enjoy their time the way they want to, the way Blizzard originally intended to.
    I love ignorant people that have no clue how the law works. I will make this simple for you. Most of the laws are based off of precedent. Meaning past actions and decisions decide or help decide cases. Maybe Nos wasn't making money or using wow's name to lure customers away or change the game to be more violent or sexual in content. But if wow lets them continue if future private servers do any of those things it would be hard for blizz to stop them from doing so why you ask? They could point to the private servers they allowed to operate and cite that as prescedent. So to protect themselves they have to go after all private servers. No matter how well intended or run that they are. Bottom line they are using blizz's intellectual property and that is illegal. Whether you like it or not. If they are creating such a good product from scratch and for free why not call it something else and use different names for things. Because they need the wow name to attract people and that is the illegal part

10+ Year Old Account
    "All ILLEGAL servers must shut down, for STEALING Blizzard's own game. Waah waah."

*Downloads music and other multimedia items from the inturweb since end of the 90s*

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Raelbo View Post
    It poses a threat to something I enjoy.
    Wasn't talking to you. Buzz off.

Quote Originally Posted by Jewsco View Post
    It was known it is illegal and could be shut down at anytime. Why would I feel for them? Should I also feel for the botters too? It is amazing that people even think this way.
    Why would I feel for them? People are having a great time playing a version of the game that they cannot play on Blizzard servers, they put real time into that game and the servers were run by real people and a real community. Did Blizzard lose money from it? They did not, unless they plan to provide private servers (something that would largely kill Nostalrius anyway) there are no losses made.

Just because something is illegal it doesn't mean that it's harmful, did you see how happy people were about that server, how many people posted in the discussions here? It was by all accounts a good thing, a free to play quality Vanilla WoW experience from a non profit organisation.. Nothing was gained by Blizzard, but a lot of people have had joy/entertainment/social interactions taken away from them.

So yes I feel for them, we're not robots and things are not black and white.
    Probably running on a Pentium 4

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by scubistacy View Post
    To quote one of my favorite characters, Rorschach: "No compromises." You get to understand that while Blizzard possibly don't have the capability / resources to hunt down all private servers, they have the legal right to do so. It's nothing personal, it's law and business. Of course it's a sad thing for people losing their characters - but they should have known that such a day could come eventually. Heck, I will lose my characters on the official servers someday, when WoW gets shut down. Because I don't own anything. I pay to use the game and its assets. I own a licence to the access of the services as long as I pay my subscription or use gaming tokens. The thing is, people playing on private servers who don't have a parallel subscription on an official server are cheaters. This is a lot like bilking or fare dodging. And in the case of people who host private servers and even make money out of it, its even worse.
    So where do I stand with my vanilla wow purchase? Am I not entitled to play it anymore because simply they refuse to use it?