Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Sturmbringe View Post
    IN addition, some of them are making money out of this, in the form of regular, monthly subscriptions, quite a lot of money in fact, and Blizzard is unable to do anything at all to stop it because This is Russia and, to put mildly, they wipe their arse with American Court Orders.
    As would anyone else, outside America. That's not the issue anyhow.
    Blizzard would just set up Russian subsidiary and sue them in Russian court with Russian court orders.

However, the bigger (and the real) problem is that Russian anti-piracy and copyright protection laws are toothless and the operator are well equipped to circumvent the injunctions. It's hard to prosecute and shut down illegal sites in Russia. We might not even have a global ransomware problem if Russia took this seriously, but since their political stance is pro-coldwar, they won't - all this stuff disrupts the west and that's just fine by Russia.

Nostalrius running in Russia is just a piss in the ocean compared to the grief that part of the world is causing the Internet infrstructure and everyone in it.

Quote Originally Posted by rda View Post
    Show me cases of such C&Ds working.

Come on, you say it's really not complicated and period, show them.
    Looks like his point flew a mile or two above your head...

No, I am not saying that, I am saying that those who host new Nost might easily be partly the same team, partly new guys (plenty of enthusiasts).
    And you think Blizzard would be unable to serve the Nostalrius members with a lawsuit to their doorstep because...

They went to close Nost, but didn't go to close Russian servers which were larger.
    Ok, then. Since you like to demand things, how's this: why don't you show me Blizzard trying AND failing to go after WoW illegal servers in Russia?

Quote Originally Posted by Gadzooks View Post
    You know, honestly, why bother? They'll believe what they want to. I know I'm passionate about copyright, because it's a big part of my life, as a published artist, and so many here are woefully misinformed or intentionally obtuse about it. It reminds me of the 12 year olds who say things like "if it's on the internet, it's free to use!"

I think I've bashed my head against this wall enough, for now. LOL. I really should know better.
    You made a few statements which you couldn't back up with anything.

Your hypothetical case ended after the very first sentence.

It is you who is living in an imaginary world.

Deleted
    I'm still hyped because i think something is going to happen at Blizzcon

My wishful thinking is off the charts. I'm not thinking straight anymore

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowpunkz View Post
    I'm still hyped because i think something is going to happen at Blizzcon

My wishful thinking is off the charts. I'm not thinking straight anymore
    Uhm nothing is going to happen.

http://blue.mmo-champion.com/topic/7...server-update/

Quote Originally Posted by Ielenia View Post
    Looks like his point flew a mile or two above your head...
    Care to elaborate?

And you think Blizzard would be unable to serve the Nostalrius members with a lawsuit to their doorstep because...
    And what then? The guys who Blizzard would be able to reach could even be innocent. Have fun proving they are the reason the server opened when it even isn't the case.

Ok, then. Since you like to demand things, how's this: why don't you show me Blizzard trying AND failing to go after WoW illegal servers in Russia?
    To the best of my knowledge they never even tried, so I don't think I can do this.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Eleccybubb View Post
    I know about that post and still i think something is going to happen.
    Thats why im saying i'm not thinking right anymore. I'm mildly crazy anyways ^^

Quote Originally Posted by SharkLazorz View Post
    As would anyone else, outside America. That's not the issue anyhow.
    Blizzard would just set up Russian subsidiary and sue them in Russian court with Russian court orders.

However, the bigger (and the real) problem is that Russian anti-piracy and copyright protection laws are toothless and the operator are well equipped to circumvent the injunctions. It's hard to prosecute and shut down illegal sites in Russia. We might not even have a global ransomware problem if Russia took this seriously, but since their political stance is pro-coldwar, they won't - all this stuff disrupts the west and that's just fine by Russia.

Nostalrius running in Russia is just a piss in the ocean compared to the grief that part of the world is causing the Internet infrstructure and everyone in it.
    It's not that the anti-piracy and copyright protection laws are toothless, it's that nobody is going to do anything with such cases. Russian courts are busy with other things.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowpunkz View Post
    I know about that post and still i think something is going to happen.
    Thats why im saying i'm not thinking right anymore. I'm mildly crazy anyways ^^
    You are probably correct.

Pretty sure that J. Allen Brack ain't gonna get his wish. His past is gonna come back and bite him up the ass.

"Karma" I guess.
    Veteran vanilla player - I was 31 back in 2005 when I started playing WoW - Nostalrius raider with a top raid guild.

Quote Originally Posted by Sturmbringe View Post
    You are probably correct.

Pretty sure that J. Allen Brack ain't gonna get his wish. His past is gonna come back and bite him up the ass.
    How so? They confirmed they aren't doing anything at Blizzcon and I extremely doubt the Nost hype is real. Especially after the last time they hyped everyone up for some crappy database. They have more important things to focus on at Blizzcon anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by rda View Post
    Care to elaborate?
    What he meant by 'it's simple' is simply the fact that, on the chance that the C&D doesn't work in Russia, the members of Nostalrius can still be sued as they still live within Blizzard's legal reach.

And what then? The guys who Blizzard would be able to reach could even be innocent. Have fun proving they are the reason the server opened when it even isn't the case.
    I think what 'can' be proven or not is up to Blizzard's legal team. The Nostalrius team can still be sued.

To the best of my knowledge they never even tried, so I don't think I can do this.
    So you're just talking out of your... back pocket... when you try to claim as fact that Blizzard is 'powerless' to affect illegal servers in Russia?

Quote Originally Posted by PaterMDx View Post
    ohh boy so much unknowing here.
    Pls read how privat servers opperate, they dont steal "code" they work arround it with emulators and add own codes.
    ANd they dont sell the shit so piracy is a WRONG word.
    Right, right. Thats like saying I just took that guys car, I didn't steal it. It's not stealing if I repaint it in another color!

Quote Originally Posted by Gadzooks View Post
    I know I'm passionate about copyright, because it's a big part of my life, as a published artist.
    To be fair, isn't this issue slightly different? Honest question.

Because in this case, it's not "regular piracy".

Nostalrius facilitates piracy, but they don't distribute the game files - those are downloaded by the players through P2P (torrent) connections to other players.
    What Nostalrius did, in essence, is reverse engineering (with basis on an open source project that as far as I know has never been targeted by Blizzard) that emulates internal and private Blizzard server software (is that even copyrighted?). The only files they might have that actually do belong to Blizzard are some map/collision files, but I'm not sure about that - everything else should be reverse engineering.

That's my understanding of it, at least. Still copyright infrigement, almost certainly, not claiming otherwise, but defenitely not as simple to handle in court as "they made our game available for free" or "they sold illegal copies of our game", no?

Anyone knows of actual reference cases of private servers being defended in court? It's an interesting topic, but I'd guess there's not much precedence in it, considering most of these are small projects by people without much means to stand a defense in court agaisnt a big company even if they had any chance of actually mounting a defence, especially when they're usually given the easy way out of simply stopping.

Quote Originally Posted by Aggrophobic View Post
    Right, right. Thats like saying I just took that guys car, I didn't steal it. It's not stealing if I repaint it in another color!
    Now you are just trying too hard.

Deleted
    So it's back to stealing again?
    Great to see that everyone was right about these assholes.
    Stealing what ? Where els we can play vannila game? Fo you understand that we dont give **** about current retail? This easy causal mod where legendary items drop from pigs.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinndor View Post
    Stealing what ? Where els we can play vannila game? Fo you understand that we dont give **** about current retail? This easy causal mod where legendary items drop from pigs.
    And Blizzard own the rights to "World of Warcraft" I don't see how hard that is to understand. They had every right in shutting down Nost no matter how you try to spin it. Facts are facts.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinndor View Post
    Blizzard owns the IP, it's theirs to do what they want with and you have no right to do anything with it unless Blizzard says so. It's that simple.

So yeah, they are stealing the work others did and should be jailed for it.

ohh boy so much unknowing here.
    Pls read how privat servers opperate, they dont steal "code" they work arround it with emulators and add own codes.
    Ohh boy, you don't know shit about copyright, do you ?

ANd they dont sell the shit so piracy is a WRONG word.
    They do sell it. It's the right word.

They can give the project to some ivan in russia, problem solved.
    How old are you that you cant figgure this out by yourself?

Ohh boy, you really don't know shit

What he meant by 'it's simple' is simply the fact that, on the chance that the C&D doesn't work in Russia, the members of Nostalrius can still be sued as they still live within Blizzard's legal reach.
    To what extent?

Again, suppose some guys in Russia who were part of the Nost team or were not part of the Nost team and had some contacts with guys from the Nost team, open their server in Russia. What would suing the guys in France achieve? In the first case, they did nothing. Even if we are talking about the second case with the guys from France downright giving source code / database code to the guys who are now hosting the server, have fun proving this happened. No, really, have fun. You have no idea how impossible this is for anyone who takes very simple precautions (unless you are ANB or whatever, but Blizzard ain't that).

I think what 'can' be proven or not is up to Blizzard's legal team. The Nostalrius team can still be sued.
    Yeah, totally. It's just pointless.

So you're just talking out of your... back pocket... when you try to claim as fact that Blizzard is 'powerless' to affect illegal servers in Russia?
    I am saying there are plenty of pirate servers in Russia, I am saying they are unreachable for Blizzard, and I am saying to the best of my knowledge Blizzard also understand this and so they never even tried. Make what you will from it. I never said Blizzard tried and failed, it's just that you set that up as the criteria of truth for some reason. Unfortunately, I don't think they ever tried. If for you that means that you won't ever know the truth about whether or not they could have succeeded, so be it, but that's your issue, not mine, I know perfectly well that they wouldn't have succeeded from other things.
    Last edited by rda; 2016-10-25 at 05:24 PM.

You spent too much time watching those piracy warnings they put on DVDs, haven't you?

Relevant: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALZZx1xmAzg