Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobblo View Post
    Stop speaking for everyone!

Jeez, i swear i would like to see how popular Nost is with people who have actually graduated from middle school.
    Now that is irony

Deleted
    Stop speaking for everyone!

Jeez, i swear i would like to see how popular Nost is with people who have actually graduated from middle school.
    I only speak for myself. I don't know what you mean xD

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowpunkz View Post
    I only speak for myself. I don't know what you mean xD
    What i mean is everytime you get a new epic is like "whatever" instead of being "omg at last an epic *nerdgasm*"
    Jizz all over the place

Doesn't sound like you are speaking for yourself.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Propainn View Post
    There should be a balance between catch up mechanics, and incentivization of progression through the expansion's full content. At the moment, the game eventually becomes saturated with catch ups to the point that nothing but one raid is ever relevant at a time, which only really should happen at launch. I fully expect Nighthold to kill EN and ToV, and whatever comes next to kill Nighthold.

I was one of the "minority" who caught up in TBC after starting Kara during early/mid T5 content. Before 2.4, I had cleared up to 3/6 SWP using the very minimal catch up mechanics that existed back then. I would still agree that attunements bottlenecking people into the older tiers isn't a great option anymore, but something should be done so newer players have SOME incentive to clear the earlier tiers if they come in at the end. Anyone who came into HFC last xpac after a break was a fool if they tried to gear up in HM and BRF instead of taking advantage of the catch up mechanics, and that felt a bit sad. It's been like this to some extent for a while, but it's becoming more and more prominent each and every xpac.
    I agree with you even if youre lying since sunwell came with 2.4 and you cant do a raid that wasn't out yet.
    Last edited by Video Games; 2016-11-02 at 12:34 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    When my guild and I killed Ragnaros the first time in MC, there was nerdgasming all over Teamspeak. When the first binding dropped from Geddion, nerdgasming.

When Dragonstalkers helm dropped from Ragnaros after the fifth kill? Woo.
    Personal Preference and Opinions ≠ Facts, Truth, or Logic

Deleted
    Then use the word i, and not the word you.
    Ok, i will try to watch my english.

As a side note, did you know a private server decided to meka legacy servers for Everquest (Project 1999) and the Daybreak company instead of trying to shut it down decided to sign a written agreement to aknowledge the project as non profit and legal?

Now that is cooler than saying "you think you do but you don't".

Ok, i will try to watch my english.

As a side note, did you know a private server decided to meka legacy servers for Everquest (Project 1999) and the Daybreak company instead of trying to shut it down decided to sign a written agreement to aknowledge the project as non profit and legal?

Now that is cool.
    Ok so? That is Daybreaks choice. The server barely hits 1k players anymore and I'm surprised it Everquest itself still has that many. Blizzard choose not to legitimise Private servers and that is their choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Toxigen View Post
    I won't play retail WoW, haven't since WotLK.

Its horrible.

However, I'd gladly play a vanilla re-release legacy server.
    You are saying it is terrible but you have not played retail WoW for 7 years, so how can you be sure it is still terrible other than you may be using it as an excuse to not join back. This is like saying Grand Tourismo 4 was horrible so by default Grand Tourismo 7 will be bad even though you love racing games. I am sorry at this point your have lost all credibility.

Quote Originally Posted by Molvonos View Post
    When my guild and I killed Ragnaros the first time in MC, there was nerdgasming all over Teamspeak. When the first binding dropped from Geddion, nerdgasming.

When Dragonstalkers helm dropped from Ragnaros after the fifth kill? Woo.
    I nerdgasm when my mage learned Blizzard in Wrath.Wooo...
    Mage Tower Final Result:
    Dk:3/3 Mage:3/3 Mage:3/3 Mage:1/3 Dh:2/2 Warlock:3/3 Hunter: 3/3 Priest:3/3 Paladin:3/3 Warrior: 3/3 Rogue:3/3 Shaman:3/3 Monk:3/3 Druid: 4/4

Quote Originally Posted by Galax View Post
    No, exactly the opposite. I just got done saying how I felt cheated coming into WoTLK after ICC and being 'screwed' out of enjoying Uld/Naxx because there was no incentive for guilds to do them. Just because I can run behind an overgeared group racing through the content doesn't mean I'm experiencing it.
    Here's the thing: if you want to enjoy something, you gotta do it while it's current. If you join late in the expansion, you of course would 'miss' what was current content back then. And using your own example, wouldn't you be 'screwed' out of being able to participate in Ulduar/ICC because you would still be stuck progressing through Naxx when the next expansion hits?

Hold on a minute. You're basing this on the fact that catch-up mechanics exist. If they didn't then players wouldn't be 'behind' because guilds would be progressing through all content (early and later content) in a given xpack. Your logic is completely circular. Take away the mechanics and the playerbase would spread out.
    And 'spreading out' would be quite the issue, wouldn't it? Not to mention that, if a guild progressing through X.4's raid tier recruits a tank, if said tank was a new player, or a current guildie's alt, to replace someone, then that means they'll have to stop their progression to backtrack in raid tiers to get the new tank attuned/geared. There is basically no argument against catch-up mechanics that isn't based on 'special snowflake' mindset. After all, what exactly bugs you if someone else that started late in the expansion catches up to the same raid tier that you are, right now?

You're wrong dude. If you start late, you are railroaded past all content but the latest. If catch-up mechanics didn't exist, you would have the option to join a progression guild still working on the early content. How is this concept so difficult?
    Because said person would have no option other than join a progression guild that is working on the first raid tier. He won't be able to enjoy the shiny new raid tier and all the cool stuff in it because he literally cannot get in there, since there are no catch-up mechanisms.

It's exactly how things worked in TBC. Some guilds were working on SSC/TK while other guilds worked on Hyjal/BT. Still others just ran Kara. There was nothing wrong with this.
    Yes, there was. The fact you see nothing wrong with players not being able to see the latest content in an expansion before the next expansion goes live... says a lot about you.

This is how I prefer to play the game. Is that OK with you?
    I'm fine with it. Just don't claim that the current game should change to suit your needs.

I never want to take a break from a game and have to worry about skipping content to 'catch up' to anyone.
    If you prefer to lag behind your friends because, for whatever reason, within or outside your control, you took a break, ok.

- - - Updated - - -

And that's why the game sucks.
    And that's your opinion. Doesn't necessarily means it's based on any facts, just your bias.

I bet if i ask you the name of your weapon equiped right now you have no idea what the fuck it is called.
    My current main is using the Twinblades of the Deceiver. My old main is using the Fu Zan, the Wanderer's Companion. And prior to Legion, my main dual-wielded heroic versions of the Hammer of Wicked Infusions.

Thank you.

I like a lot of the design philosophy about vanilla (mostly the early patches). But, i also like some of the design philosophy of the expansions. I would also not want to see a game stagnate.

For example, i really like BRD and DM. They were like 5-man raids, in that there was so much to do, and done without tunneling the content. Why not create a new dungeon with the same feeling as these old ones? And then give me the ability to run all three?

I also do not like that 1.12.1 servers promise no class changes. I like a lot of the old design philosophy (pre-1.12.1), but i don't like where it ended up by 1.12.1.
    I think Blizzard "tried" to recreate dungeon excitment already. Blizzard wanted to recreate a similar experience, so we got different linear dungeons. /golfclap. I remember blue comments about this in the past.

Also they did time stepping. Nowhere near close to the original, but the fun part was some mountain areas you could wall jump and "escape", to go places not intended for players to go. That was the only real nostalgic point I guess. The rest was watered down, meant to be blown through with a moderately sucky group. /sigh

I do like how you brought up BRD. BRD & BRS are the best dungeons ever made for this game. They are fun and challenging. They are HUGE! Shortcuts exist in both dungeons. Swimming through a lava lake to bypass content in BRD .. ever done that =) There was even some rocky islands here and there to help out, as intended.

Linear dungeons are boring.

Oh yeah BRD (heck the whole spire) and Dire Maul were gorgeous. There were weeks worth of content in those dungeons alone.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vineri View Post
    I think Blizzard "tried" to recreate dungeon excitment already. Blizzard wanted to recreate a similar experience, so we got different linear dungeons. /golfclap. I remember blue comments about this in the past.

Also they did time stepping. Nowhere near close to the original, but the fun part was some mountain areas you could wall jump and "escape", to go places not intended for players to go. That was the only real nostalgic point I guess. The rest was watered down, meant to be blown through with a moderately sucky group. /sigh

I do like how you brought up BRD. BRD & BRS are the best dungeons ever made for this game. They are fun and challenging. They are HUGE! Shortcuts exist in both dungeons. Swimming through a lava lake to bypass content in BRD .. ever done that =) There was even some rocky islands here and there to help out, as intended.

Linear dungeons are boring.
    Admittedly, BRD was pretty linear.

You could completely avoid the Prison, Arena, Residental area and where the big molten earth giant boss was. To get the good gear, you had to trigger the big switch and you had, I think, three bosses plus a gauntlet? You did the other wings just to finish the quests, but that's about it in my experiences.

Also, I highly doubt that was the rocks intended purpose, merely a 'happy accident' they never bothered to fix.
    Personal Preference and Opinions ≠ Facts, Truth, or Logic

7+ Year Old Account
    How many years do you give it before Blizzard decides to end expansions then?

Plus 50 years? I said 6. 10 is a bit of a stretch i think.
    during wod, they said they have another 10 years of expansions set up, so yeah, the story will go for atleast 8 more years....
    Quote Originally Posted by WowIsDead64 View Post
    Remove combat, Mobs, PvP, and Difficult Content

Quote Originally Posted by Video Games View Post
    I agree with you even if youre lying since sunwell came with 2.4 and you cant do a raid that wasn't out yet.
    My bad, misrembering. Thought 2.4 was the pre patch where ret went crazy and everything got nerfed
    Last edited by Propainn; 2016-11-02 at 01:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by burzian View Post
    It's absolutely not free money for Blizzard. Do you think they have a fully functioning 1.12 environment that they just don't want you playing on? An MMO is a living, breathing thing that goes through countless iterations. Do you realize how much work would have to go into scaling so many of the changes back, even just on a relatively minor piece like the UI? They're not developing new content for it, but that's not the only way servers incur costs.

I think they're concerned that they wouldn't make their money back on this. I think it's a strong possibility they wouldn't.
    As far as the development cost, it would be nearly free. Every game that they support requires maintenance, but I don't see why a vanilla server would be something they wouldn't make money on. No one pays private servers anything, but they still stay afloat.

But it appears that it isn't going to happen. Oh well, time to go back to the anti-ToS solution, I guess.
    Humans are instrinsically valuable by virtue of the kind of thing that we are, a human. We are not valuable because of our size, our stage of development, our degree of dependency, our location, or a function we can immediately perform.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Thresh1 View Post
    As far as the development cost, it would be nearly free. Every game that they support requires maintenance, but I don't see why a vanilla server would be something they wouldn't make money on. No one pays private servers anything, but they still stay afloat.

But it appears that it isn't going to happen. Oh well, time to go back to the anti-ToS solution, I guess.
    Every statement is wrong here, unless you're being heavily generous with that "nearly" word. Ignoring the time/cost to add the necessary changes that Blizzard is going to want to add (Battle.net integration, updating Warden for known exploits that are in that code but not in newest, etc), you still need the hardware to host the servers. Let's say they spend time rearchitecting it so they can put Vanilla realms in their hardwares' loose cycles when their instancing/scaling tech doesn't need most of their resources, that is the cheapest you could possibly get Vanilla servers running. However, that is not going to be able to handle the demand, even if it is only 100K (we know it's higher but let's feel free to knock out this stupid argument). Vanilla servers, like any realm, require and deserve dedicated hardware for them to run well.

On the PS front, the majority of them take donations/have a cash shop. There is quite a bit of money here, with cash shop taking in quite a bit more than donations. With Nost, they took donations through PayPal in the beginning, then decided to move away from taking the money directly and having the community pool the money and pay for the server's hardware directly so they could keep their hands clean from that point on. Even with this approach (which requires more trust as you would be giving it to a forum member and hoping they used the money for the hardware versus blow and hookers), at the end they were able to fund hardware for the next couple months. There wasn't a time where it was even close on if they were going to make it or not.

TLDR: Please don't talk about development costs being nearly free.

Quote Originally Posted by Thresh1 View Post

The majority of private servers actually take money via donations or buying items. The ones that dont usually have huge lag.

But yea its quite cheap when you dont have to pay Gamemasters, devs to do patches and such.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ahaha i forgot about artifacts. Even so i don't know the names of my demon hunter weapons.

Let me rephrase the question. "I bet you don't know the name of your chest piece" for example

What i mean is everytime you get a new epic is like "whatever" instead of being "omg at last an epic *nerdgasm*"
    Jizz all over the place
    No one ever felt like that about epic gear. Like, ever. Since epic bracers in MC. Epic is just a purple, as it always have been. The only reson why people "nerdgasm" over purples is not because they are purple, but because they are desired gear pieces. Our rogue got as happy about his pyrite infuser as he've got happy about ravenholdt insignia, and as he've got happy about gurthalak on his ret paladin. It's not because of fucking colour, it's because it's a good item, because he worked towards it and because he wanted it.
    And as i was happy when i've got legendary bracers, Aran gem trinket and chestpiece from nightbane in a single Kara run. So fucking good
    Last edited by Charge me Doctor; 2016-11-02 at 03:51 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Urban Dictionary
    Russians are a nation inhabiting territory of Russia an ex-USSR countries. Russians enjoy drinking vodka and listening to the bears playing button-accordions. Russians are open- and warm- hearted. They are ready to share their last prianik (russian sweet cookie) with guests, in case lasts encounter that somewhere. Though, it's almost unreal, 'cos russians usually hide their stuff well.

Quote Originally Posted by stomination View Post
    The majority of private servers actually take money via donations or buying items.
    Just to demonstrate how true this is, since the issue is constantly brought up. here is a rundown of every English-language Vanilla private server listed on Reddit, with only the name of the server I'm referring to omitted.

1) Cash shop that sells gear, max levels, etc
    2) Dead link
    3) Donation-based player economy - players donate money for shop points and buy things that other players sell, such as fully geared max level characters. Notably, this server is the only Vanilla private realm even close to Nostalrius's size
    4) Blank homepage, forum is closed
    5) Cash shop, unclear what they sell because I don't have an account here
    6) French server, can't tell because the site's English option doesn't work
    7) Cash shop, unclear what they sell
    8) Cash shop, unclear what they sell
    9) Does not accept donations or sell gear - however the server's administration stole over $12,000 in donations from players about three years ago
    10) Doesn't appear to accept donations - this is the server I have a max-level character on, and I know they took donations for max level and gold on the forums before
    11) Donations, unclear if they have a shop
    12) Unopened server
    13) Unclear as to donation and shop status, however their website has a refund policy link (currently broken), from which you can draw your own conclusions

So to be clear, the only Vanilla server currently running that does not take in donations or operate a cash shop was previously run as a scam operation to steal thousands of dollars from users. Any server not covered here likely has virtually zero players or is primarily non-English.
    Last edited by Mahourai; 2016-11-02 at 04:38 AM.