Quote Originally Posted by Merillo View Post
    Didn't You eard The news???? They are still hosting in France
    Well, of course they are. One of Blizzard's European server rooms was always in Paris.

Oh, you meant someone else? Despite all the mod warnings?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Tackhisis View Post
    Who would play a 2004 game in 2022 or so? When you played something from 1999 the last time?
    I still run games from '91 somewhat regularly. People get bouts of nostalgia.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Deficineiron View Post
    I would play civ2 but it is dangerously addictive and time-consuming. ditto the first sid meier civ-type game (alph. centauri?)
    The first Sid Meier Civ-type game would be Civ.

Alpha Centauri is better, though, I think.

- - - Updated - - -

do you know what your /played time was in that 5 months?
    Cannot exactly recall after so long, though you have a point, I was unemployed for some of that time. On the other hand, I was sharing the computer (and the account, I admit) with my wife. So... /played probably above average, but not massive.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Flarelaine View Post

The first Sid Meier Civ-type game would be Civ.

Alpha Centauri is better, though, I think.
    I meant the first one sid meier's group did after they left microprose and formed feraxis, which was alf. centauri. Now I am remembering Railroad Tycoon as well.

years back I found a fascinating in-depth interview with brian reynolds about civ2. given how much I played that, it was a very interesting read.

civ2 was vastly better than civ. agree on alph. centauri, they buried all kinds of complexity in that game.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Flarelaine View Post
    Cannot exactly recall after so long, though you have a point, I was unemployed for some of that time. On the other hand, I was sharing the computer (and the account, I admit) with my wife. So... /played probably above average, but not massive.
    just shooting from the hip but it is hard to see how your /played time in 5 months to be doing 20 mans wasn't a few weeks at least?

where I am going is that that (and I am guilty of it as well in tbc) is an abnormal amount of time in-game. Most players, I expect, were lucky to be able to put in 5 hours in a week.
    Last edited by Deficineiron; 2016-12-08 at 03:57 PM.
    Authors I have enjoyed enough to mention here: JRR Tolkein, Poul Anderson,Jack Vance, Gene Wolfe, Glen Cook, Brian Stableford, MAR Barker, Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle, WM Hodgson, Fredrick Brown, Robert SheckleyJohn Steakley, Joe Abercrombie, Robert Silverberg, the norse sagas, CJ Cherryh, PG Wodehouse, Clark Ashton Smith, Alastair Reynolds, Cordwainer Smith, LE Modesitt, L. Sprague de Camp & Fletcher Pratt, Stephen R Donaldon, and Jack L Chalker.

I meant the first one sid meier's group did after they left (who was the publisher of the civ games?)
    Microprose.

and formed feraxis, which was alf. centauri.

years back I found a fascinating in-depth interview with brian johnson about civ2. given how much I played that, it was a very interesting read.

civ2 was vastly better than civ. agree on alph. centauri, they buried all kinds of complexity in that game.
    They sure did. They really built that world with all those quotes for buildings and discoveries and whatnot.

just shooting from the hip but it is hard to see how your /played time in 5 months to be doing 20 mans wasn't a few weeks at least?

where I am going is that that (and I am guilty of it as well in tbc) is an abnormal amount of time in-game. Most players, I expect, were lucky to be able to put in 5 hours in a week.
    Well, yeah. Probably. Admittedly, I barely catched the end of Vanilla raiding, but it probably still means weeks.

Who would play a 2004 game in 2022 or so? When you played something from 1999 the last time?
    It's a good question. Not sure about 2022, but we can talk about 2016 since 12 years is still really old.

Vanilla WoW on the 1.12.1 client with max settings, some entered manually through the console, actually looks pretty good. I previously ran it around 4k on a Macbook Pro, and right now I run it at 1920x1080 120hz.

The reason why vanilla WoW looks antiquated isn't really the graphic quality, it's more the environment. If you go to a dwarven inn the brew barrels are these nasty hexagonal objects and behind the bar is just empty space. Or black temple in BC has all these 45 degree angle stone ramps instead of staircases, which no real person would climb, plus it looks bad. It's a lack of detail problem pertaining to gpu lag at the time. It's why in Cata they filled in more detail, like in SW. The voice acting in vanilla could use work in some places too.

The models are not that bad to be honest. I think it fits a sweet spot. Early "3D games" like FF7 or Goldeneye look like shit now. More recent games like Witcher 3 are almost too "realistic," characters look like super-detailed cartoonish things who want to look human but don't. And when they look too human it's awkward to kill them in game. Blizzard did a good job avoiding these problems in Overwatch while creating the game's own style. IMO the selfie shots from Legion they look cringe as fuck, because WoW characters were never meant to be that anthropomorphized/expressive/detailed.

Aside from some lack of detail, the other obvious problem is the amount of time it takes to do anything in vanilla, but some people like me are okay with that. I don't think that games can get any easier than they are today. Many gamers are gravitating towards games which are more difficult or require a greater investment. Games may be more like this in 6 years.

By 2022 I don't think the "threat" to vanilla WoW will be these problems. I think it will be that a new, groundbreaking MMO will come out, it will ram every MMO ever made in the ass, and we will all get hopelessly addicted to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ielenia View Post
    Except it's not "fair use", is it? It's no criticism, it's no parody, it's not 'news reporting', it's not 'research', it's not 'scholarship'.... it's just a bunch of people angry at a company for giving updates to a game. That doesn't fall into 'fair use' law at all.
    I only mentioned "fair use" as an example which makes things like that gray. There are other things like fair use which help make pirate servers in certain circumstances kind of maybe possible -- ie, there are sometimes provisions for continued interoperability with other products in case the original owner no longer supports it, and there are other things as well, not saying they apply verbatim, but they do enough to turn the case from pitch black to just dark gray.

10+ Year Old Account
    3. That point is not as important as you think, because Blizzard still holds the Warcraft IP, which means everything under it (which includes vanilla WoW) belong to them, so it doesn't matter if they're offering the service or not, with the IP still belonging to Blizzard, it means no one can use it without Blizzard's permission.
    Can't they just give Nostalrius a permission then? They seem pretty chill about Nostalrius but that might just be for good Media

Didn't people already discuss the legality of Private Servers...you know...a few pages ago?
    Mage Tower Final Result:
    Dk:3/3 Mage:3/3 Mage:3/3 Mage:1/3 Dh:2/2 Warlock:3/3 Hunter: 3/3 Priest:3/3 Paladin:3/3 Warrior: 3/3 Rogue:3/3 Shaman:3/3 Monk:3/3 Druid: 4/4

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Darktbs View Post
    Didn't people already discuss the legality of Private Servers...you know...a few pages ago?
    More likely on every other page

Quote Originally Posted by Deztru View Post
    Can't they just give Nostalrius a permission then?
    No. No, they can't. It's businesses we're talking about here. This isn't like going to your neighbor and asking to borrow a tool.

10+ Year Old Account
    No. No, they can't. It's businesses we're talking about here. This isn't like going to your neighbor and asking to borrow a tool.
    Can't you make a contract about anything? I always thought you could. Feels dumb that law gets into the way if Blizzard would want to permit someone using their stuff.

Can't you make a contract about anything? I always thought you could. Feels dumb that law gets into the way if Blizzard would want to permit someone using their stuff.
    Why would they permit it?

You don't get it. It's not that simple. Writing a contract is not just writing on a piece of paper. There are legal and policy issues that need to be addressed. Not to mention that "just giving them a permit" is something that rarely goes in the benefit of the one lending said permit.

You don't get it. It's not that simple. Writing a contract is not just writing on a piece of paper. There are legal and policy issues that need to be addressed. Not to mention that "just giving them a permit" is something that rarely goes in the benefit of the one lending said permit.
    Of course it is that simple. If Blizzard want to license WoW to anyone (although there is nothing to indicate that they have any interest in doing so) there is nothing stopping them. A contract can be as complex or as simple as needed nor is there any requirement for a contract to be written on anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Pann View Post
    Of course it is that simple. If Blizzard want to license WoW to anyone (although there is nothing to indicate that they have any interest in doing so) there is nothing stopping them. A contract can be as complex or as simple as needed nor is there any requirement for a contract to be written on anything.
    Have you... ever... tried to find out how businesses operate, and how leasing/licensing work, both in the legal and business sense?

Have you... ever... tried to find out how businesses operate, and how leasing/licensing work, both in the legal and business sense?
    No, explain it to me.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes I get it, but that's just pointlessly stupid is all I'm saying.

Fallout 1 and 2, though older than 1999 (was it 97?), played it about 6 months ago. It's still awesome.

Yes I get it, but that's just pointlessly stupid is all I'm saying.
    If Blizzard wanted to license WoW to a third party (as they already do to Netease in China) there are no legal or policy issues standing in their way. The reality is that they have nothing to gain by granting a license to a third party so, understandably, they will not grant one.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pann View Post
    If Blizzard wanted to license WoW to a third party (as they already do to Netease in China) there are no legal or policy issues standing in their way. The reality is that they have nothing to gain by granting a license to a third party so, understandably, they will not grant one.
    as an added comment, if at any time they were to want to license legacy wow to a third-party, it would be a well-capitalized and recognized company (like the9 or netease is in china). It would not be a garage project entity (no matter how talented and successful their efforts were). they might bring names from the banned word in as consultants or something as a pr gimmick, but a/b wouldn't go about this in a jake-legged way.

all this said, I cannot imagine a/b ever doing this rather than running it themselves.
    Authors I have enjoyed enough to mention here: JRR Tolkein, Poul Anderson,Jack Vance, Gene Wolfe, Glen Cook, Brian Stableford, MAR Barker, Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle, WM Hodgson, Fredrick Brown, Robert SheckleyJohn Steakley, Joe Abercrombie, Robert Silverberg, the norse sagas, CJ Cherryh, PG Wodehouse, Clark Ashton Smith, Alastair Reynolds, Cordwainer Smith, LE Modesitt, L. Sprague de Camp & Fletcher Pratt, Stephen R Donaldon, and Jack L Chalker.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hav0kk View Post
    people who are against legacy are people who never played the game in its glory years and are jelous of the fact that people prefer the older game than the shit pathetic ecsuse that is legion.
    Wrong.

You're always wrong when you post shit like this.

And you've been posting shit like this since you entered this thread.

Holy fuck, get over that fucking argument, because you're completely and irrevocably wrong each and every time you decide to post this fucking garbage.
    Personal Preference and Opinions ≠ Facts, Truth, or Logic