7+ Year Old Account
    one less shitty pserver in the web good job blizz

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    Yeah, you might. I might even sub temporarily to check it out and re-experience things that you can't since Cata. But that wouldn't last long.
    Your panties must be soaking wet after these recent events Darsithis, eh? This thread wouldnt have reached page 2 under your watch normally.

I bet your smuggly thumbs upping your Travis Fimmel poster as we speak.

As someone who has not played on a 3rd party server and based on what i have read and heard from official blizzard reposes it sounds like that servers like this were offering a service that Blizzard themselves have and will continue to Refuse to offer.

"You don't want this"

800,000 registered accounts on Nostalrius. Imagine how much bigger that number would be with Blizzard endorsed Vanilla servers.

Still believe we "don't want this" ?

Quote Originally Posted by SoundOfGuns View Post
    Im truly and utterly sorry for everyone playing there. Im sure it hurts. But to be fair? Nobody can blame Blizzard for it. Its their right to do whatever they want with their game. And it is their game, no matter what server its setup for. Blizzard turned a very blind eye on private servers since years and years but that one in particular got quite big. I don't know what the true reason is, but im sure there is one considering that Blizzard rarely changes their behavior in such things. I mean god damnit they dont even touch modders despite its against their rules and are very selective about those they ban. Don't think they wouldn't notice or know.

Do i agree to that choice? No.
    Do i think its deserved? Maybe a little bit. They had to be prepared this could happen at any moment.
    Do i think Blizzard has the right to do it? Absolutely.
    Yeah that's true.

I think it's time for Blizz to put Up a vanilla server and see how it well goes. If it's dead after 2 months, then they can simply close it...

Btw. why are private servers, who host older/non-available Version of WoW, such a problem for Blizzard and not for every else(like Activision)?

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by emilylorange View Post
    Not how corporate copyright law works.
    It's not how ANY copyright law works.

Dude is confusing the concept of "abandoned trademark" with the concept of "abandoned copyright." In Berne Convention countries you can't lose or abandon a copyright by disuse. Copyrights can only be licensed or abandoned (placed into the public domain) by affirmative action of the copyright holder.

Trademarks, on the other hand, can be abandoned, if the trademark holder doesn't enforce its rights.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonjoon View Post
    What I don't understand is WHY WOULD PEOPLE WHO NEVER PLAYED PRIVATE SERVERS BE SO GODDAMN SPITEFUL? What did you lose? What did you gain? Nothing. People like mr. "eriktheviking" here
    Personally, I'm enjoying the tears simply because of all the rubbish vanilla posts I have to endure on a daily basis around here.

So now this is my moment to sit back, point and laugh at everyone acting like a victim even though you should've all known this day was coming.

What's especially funny are the ones trying to act like this wasn't illegal to begin with and getting all mad about people like me laughing.

But hey, that's just me
    Subarashii chin chin mono
    Kintama no kami aru

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Froggy View Post
    "You don't want this"

800,000 registered accounts on Nostalrius. Imagine how much bigger that number would be with Blizzard endorsed Vanilla servers.

Indeed, and that's with no money to advertise with whatsoever.

"You don't want this"

Smaller because it wouldn't be free. Why is this such a hard concept to comprehend? People like free stuff.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tart View Post
    Your panties must be soaking wet after these recent events Darsithis, eh? This thread wouldnt have reached page 2 under your watch normally.

I bet your smuggly thumbs upping your Travis Fimmel poster as we speak.
    lol this comment

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggroll View Post
    The funny thing is though, that Blizzard is doing this out of pure spite. They gain nothing by shutting down Vanilla servers because Blizzard can't and doesn't want to offer the gameplay experience that players seek and find there.

Look at how often people ask for Vanilla servers on the forums, there are enough players who would pay for that. But Blizzard simply refuses. So people go elsewhere.

I agree with you. Private servers have been in the mix for a long time, but only recently have people begun to ask Blizzard to make their own. I know people who aren't comfortable downloading a private realm, either due to lack of account security or whatever. They have, however, told me that should a legacy realm be introduced, they would play on it as much if not more than they do on live.

Blizzard shut down Nostalrius because Blizzard said that the players do not want a private realm (though we think we do), and that is just isn't possible. Nostalrius proved that the players did in fact want it (10k population every single time I've logged in, with players having more than 1 level 60 character) and that it is in fact very possible.

The only argument against Nostalrius in this thread, and any other thread about it, is that it is illegal and should be shut down. So is downloading music. So is downloading pictures to use as your desktop background or on your twitch page. So is crossing the street not a stop walk. So is going over the speed limit or throwing some garbage on the ground because there was no garbage can nearby. It is illegal, but it isn't wrong. Everyone has their reason to do what they do, and for the Nostalrius playerbase, we played because we enjoy it. We aren't doing anything wrong. We aren't stealing players away from the live client, we aren't forced to pay a fee to play the game either. If Blizzard didn't serve papers to Nostalrius, this thread wouldn't exist and everyone in it against Nostalrius would not give two shits about it.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    "You don't want this"

800,000 people playing for free. So what you want is for WoW to go F2P?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggroll View Post
    The funny thing is though, that Blizzard is doing this out of pure spite. They gain nothing by shutting down Vanilla servers because Blizzard can't and doesn't want to offer the gameplay experience that players seek and find there.

Look at how often people ask for Vanilla servers on the forums, there are enough players who would pay for that. But Blizzard simply refuses. So people go elsewhere.
    Guess its time for me to boycott their piece of shit products as well. Was planing to buy Legion just for the lelz to check the content for a few weeks but with this pure asshole move from Bli$$ard. Fuck them.
    Also there were alot of people who where subed in retail that played on nost. I had around 20 only in my guild. This was just a pure fuck you to the player base thats not content with their drone shit retail experience.

Pretty sure Blizzard just doesn't like being blatantly robbed. And then the people who robbed you, dressing up your content and taking donations for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Zoreyai View Post
    Steal? How is it stealing?

They're not taking money for anything, how is this any different than Fair use?
    Are you serious with this question? What do they teach about business law in school these days. It's their IP period end of story no grey area.

Quote Originally Posted by Vorkreist View Post
    Guess its time for me to boycott their piece of shit products as well. Was planing to buy Legion just for the lelz to check the content for a few weeks but with this pure asshole move from Bli$$ard. Fuck them.
    Also there were alot of people who where subed in retail that played on nost. I had around 20 only in my guild. This was just a pure fuck you to the player base thats not content with their drone shit retail experience.
    "Stealing isn't wrong if I enjoy the outcome" LUL

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by zorkuus View Post
    Where did I say they're poor? You can be rich and still not willing to pay.
    If you pay for a product you can expect to get what you pay for, Nost dosen't have any cost attached to it. You are not able to pay even if you want to, had Blizzard put their stamp on it it would increase the population immensly and people would be willing to pay because they know they get a superior product.

It's like with football streams you can purchase HD CL games for 10 dollars or you can choose to not pay find an illegal stream which likely will have buffering/quality problems. But if you got the money to get a more enjoyable experiense and actually enjoy the game and not having to constantly look for new streams you just pay the 10 bucks and dont have to worry.

UEFA both sell TVrights and they sell individual games, i dont see the problem catering to different audience at the end of the day it makes profit and legacy servers would aswell, it could potentially steal players from the current expansion, but thats happening anyway so why not make instead of trying to ignore a large part of customers who are willing to pay for a product which exist but is not currently available. There is money here and if Blizzard choose to ignore it it's their fault. If there is a demand someone is going to pick up the market i'd prefer it was Blizzard over some shady dude in a basement.

Legion will fix this

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Deficineiron View Post
    i think it is very likely to backfire in that sense, but it isn't clear to me if they don't anticipate that and consider it better than the alternative. There are certainly many cases of large corporations making very poor decisions on this general type of topic - but with no sub numbers, it is hard for us to really gauge much in terms of material impact.
    Very true and im sure they havent just dove in head first, naturally its been monitered for a while but obviously this monitering has raised concern and rattled some cages.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by zorkuus View Post
    Smaller because it wouldn't be free. Why is this such a hard concept to comprehend? People like free stuff.
    I want to play on legacy servers but I didn't play on nostalrius but then again if blizzard did it i'd pay them for it and actually play and get a friend along too so that makes us two weird ducks I guess

Deleted
    I think there would be plenty of people who would willingly pay Blizzard to access a classic WoW realm if they supported it. The reason they don't is because they can't. What else do you expect people who want to play classic WoW to do?