Quote Originally Posted by robodin View Post
    The /who function is/was hilariously broken though. I could do a /who <specific guild name> and it would list 12k people as well.
    The /who function always showed you the max number of people who were online at the time you performed the query, however, it did display correctly the amount of ppl that fit your criteria.

That was a feature not a bug.

example:

Veteran vanilla player - I was 31 back in 2005 when I started playing WoW - Nostalrius raider with a top raid guild.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummockelchen View Post
    Nope, they wont the effort vs the 15k of people wanting it doesnt make it needed....
    It's 150k.
    And it would be a lot more if it was an official Blizzard server.

And if it wouldn't be worth the effort. then I wonder why they had to try and take down Nostalrius. I mean people keep saying that all those people that played on Nostalrius were literally stealing from Blizzard, so now that Nostalrius is down, even if only temporarily, all those people will now play on retail (at least that's what blizzdrones think), so Blizzard will make money from all those people. But I thought it wasn't worth it? Certainly does seem like they are contradicting themselves.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    Well, that's what happens when you steal intellectual property and use it
    Indeed.
    I hope the lawyers sue the shit out of these guys for all the money they've made out of someone elses property.
    Also hope it's the end of the annoying "vanilla server" advertising threads here.

Fuck those guys.

Quote Originally Posted by Crimewave View Post
    That what happens when you create countless and pointless "Vanila threads" on forums, whining and advertising private servers. Enjoy yourselves, you killed your server lads.
    I doubt these people are capable of understanding why their constant yapping about this server and the increased awareness was part of the reason it caught blizzard's attention. Fuck 'em, they got what was coming to them.

Quote Originally Posted by Vorkreist View Post
    You forgot to mention that was only the PVP Realm, the PVE went for another 3-5k
    True.

/10 char
    Veteran vanilla player - I was 31 back in 2005 when I started playing WoW - Nostalrius raider with a top raid guild.

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by manboiler View Post
    Wrong. These NPCs, Mobs etc. are all stored as files on the game Client, which was always freely available. The emulator doesn't store any actual Blizzard-made stuff. The whole programmed Code on Nostalrius is based on the open source Project MANGOS and own Code...

The only reason that Blizzard can even try to sue pserver Hosters is, that their ToS says that this is not allowed, but this doesn't work in the EU.
    The mob data is stored client-side but the mobs are placed server-side.

That's why way back when GMs sometimes had to brute force a fix to your issue by manually spawning an enemy that was broken.

And sometimes would just troll around (during betas only really) by spawning bosses in cities.

To which, that's something we don't have to deal with anymore that you did in Vanilla. Things breaking so bad that GMs basically had to cheat code to fix your issue.
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

Quote Originally Posted by glorygores View Post
    800k registered accounts with a maximum of 5k players on peak. Sorry bud, Nostalrius wasn't even making enough money to afford their server costs, Wouldn't be surprsied if Blizzard never even sued them and they just used it as a copout.
    13.000+ at peak and low 6.000+

Nice try though.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Aeluron Lightsong View Post
    That's the price people pay for taking someone's intellectual property and use it. They should know better and Vanilla for the love of the cosmos...was not as great as you think it is.
    It was just as amazing as I remember it. Mainly because we had an active group of 20+ friends playing on the same server.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Demoncrash View Post

Agree with pretty much everything this guy says.
    I agree with him 100%. The people who play Nostalrius know that it is illegal. But Blizzard and the people who are against Nostalrius don't understand why we play it. Blizzard has every right to close the server down, but do they understand why so many people are going there? Those of you who are against Nostalrius, please try to understand why we are playing there before you bash us.

Quote Originally Posted by zorkuus View Post
    I already said being free is not the only reason. You are the ones arguing that it can't be a reason at all.

I could name many of the shittiest games imaginable that are still able to keep a surprisingly "large" playerbases mostly because they're free.
    Is WoD on the list?

That being said I think this would only imply that WoD is much worse then expected, because even after offering ways to play the game for free, the subs have sunk like a rock.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hypasonic View Post
    Private servers are wrong; blizzard are entitled to seek action to shut them down, however there should be some way that the people currently enjoying the Nostalrius experience can do so with blizzards agreement, with or without them officially endorsing it. But doubt that will happen anytime soon (Maybe when WoW 2 comes out Kappa)
    No, there's absolutely no obligation for a rights holder to provide a means for people to enjoy an "old version" of its property.

There are many good reasons why a rights holder would NOT provide such a means.

* 1 billion security patches and 1 billion fewer exploits since the "old version"
    * Windows 2000 is not Windows 7/8/10
    * A Pentium 4 is not a thing in 2016
    * GPUs are about 100x faster
    * source code has changed in the past 10-15 years
    * game mechanics have changed in the past 10-15 years
    * clams stack

Deleted
    To answer the question once and for all if we want legacy servers, this is me signing out now have a good one everyone and keep the thread going!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by xxxDkDkxxx View Post
    Indeed.
    I hope the lawyers sue the shit out of these guys for all the money they've made out of someone elses property.
    Also hope it's the end of the annoying "vanilla server" advertising threads here.

Fuck those guys.
    Maybe you should at least read part of the thread before writing stupid shit.

Quote Originally Posted by Kelzza View Post
    I agree with him 100%. The people who play Nostalrius know that it is illegal. But Blizzard and the people who are against Nostalrius don't understand why we play it. Blizzard has every right to close the server down, but do they understand why so many people are going there? Those of you who are against Nostalrius, please try to understand why we are playing there before you bash us.
    They don't care. Many posting here have a very stiff right v. wrong ideology. Can't please everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Kelzza View Post
    I understand it perfectly well. Some play it because they enjoy it, some because it's a free game. That last part never crosses your minds though. You think you are speaking for everyone who play on private servers. There are many reasons people play on them, and not just the ones you have.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sturmbringe View Post

1. Nostalrius had abt. 13,500 max players online at any one time.

2. Nostalrius had abt. 150,000 regular active players.

3. Nostalrius had over 800,000 registered accounts.
    worth noting that this realms active account definition was substantially more stringent than blizzards. would be interesting to see a 30-day active account number.
    Authors I have enjoyed enough to mention here: JRR Tolkein, Poul Anderson,Jack Vance, Gene Wolfe, Glen Cook, Brian Stableford, MAR Barker, Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle, WM Hodgson, Fredrick Brown, Robert SheckleyJohn Steakley, Joe Abercrombie, Robert Silverberg, the norse sagas, CJ Cherryh, PG Wodehouse, Clark Ashton Smith, Alastair Reynolds, Cordwainer Smith, LE Modesitt, L. Sprague de Camp & Fletcher Pratt, Stephen R Donaldon, and Jack L Chalker.

Quote Originally Posted by Slowpoke is a Gamer View Post
    The mob data is stored client-side but the mobs are placed server-side.

That's why way back when GMs sometimes had to brute force a fix to your issue by manually spawning an enemy that was broken.

And sometimes would just troll around (during betas only really) by spawning bosses in cities.

To which, that's something we don't have to deal with anymore that you did in Vanilla. Things breaking so bad that GMs basically had to cheat code to fix your issue.
    Yes... so what's your Point? Exactly beacuse it works like this, Nostalrius is not pirated software and doesn't use pirated software (also the reason, why not even Blizzard refers to it as pirated software). It's as self-developed wow emulator, which receives and sends requests from also non-pirated wow clients

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Generical View Post
    It's the knee jerk non informed posts like this that keep me laughing. Try reading on the subject for even 2 minutes before you make claims like that. They never accepted donations, and even had the system set up so any money sent went directly to the hosting company to keep the servers up.
    Lol. Do you truly believe that?
    Those guys were ripping you all off. Their paypal is still up.

rofl

15+ Year Old Account
    You think you do, but you don't!

Blizzard so fucking out of touch its not even funny anymore.

/signed never purchasing another shit title of theirs again.
    "There are two types of guys in this world. Guys who sniff their fingers after scratching their balls, and dirty fucking liars." -StylesClashv3
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    Not finding-a-cock-on-your-girlfriend-is-normal level of odd, but nevertheless, still odd.

Quote Originally Posted by manboiler View Post
    Wrong. These NPCs, Mobs etc. are all stored as files on the game Client, which was always freely available.
    Those are stored in the database, which is not a part of mangos and is absolutely illegal.