10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by manboiler View Post
    I just don't get People like you... If you don't have any clue how software Engineering companies or companies in general work, why are you then pretending that you have any idea? It just make you sound like a complete idiot tbh
    YOU are pretending to know the inner workings of Blizzard.
    YOU are dismissing a direct statement of ONE OF THE PROFESSIONALS WORKING THERE that stated: we do not have the old server side code any more.

If anyone looks like a person oblivious to facts, it is you. Not me.

If the DEV lied: That's on him. Not me.
    But I won't call him a liar w/o proof because I want the truth to be something that it is not.

Quote Originally Posted by MoanaLisa View Post
    Besides in cases like this Blizzard isn't going to be out for revenge or anything. The target was the server, not the people using it. Getting the server closed was the goal, not chasing down every single user and comparing them to a battlenet ID.
    Exactly that. Blizzard simply doesn't care about the Players + it's almost impossible for them to know which of their customers have been playing on Nostalrius, even if they use illegal ways.

Quote Originally Posted by zorkuus View Post
    Well there's your mistake: you clicked agree on the ToS without reading it.
    And signed up for an mmorpg that was always destined to change from the start. Did anyone seriously believe that the game would remain in Classic, TBC, WOTLK or any other expansion?

With everything that's shite about WoD, people are setting their hopes to the CHANGE that is inevitably coming with another expansion...will it be for better or worse? That remains to be seen, but the change is coming.

Quote Originally Posted by Bleachbean View Post
    Went to the store in 2004, picked my self up a copy of Wow original gangster addition...
    Played wow, got the expacs, was fun
    Then, a dragon came through and said here's new not original gangster wow
    New was cool I liked new!
    But then...I realised...I payed for original gangster wow and they gave me something else.
    Can no longer play original gangster wow cuzz update...
    soon realized update boring...
    forced me to turn in my classic for revamp...
    I payed for classic...and then they changed what I payed for without asking...didnt even have to buy cata for revamp to take effect...
    Not even a bad expansion thing, they took out content I payed for and a lot of it at that and replaced it with something after I had already purchased it...
    Private server, gives me back what I payed for after bliz took away what I payed for....
    TL;DR not a thief...just trying to play something they took from me without asking...kinda like thievery
    creative way of trying to justify playing on a private server which is illegal.

Although shouldn't be amazed at yet another person who does not read the EULA/TOC. When you buy the game and sub to it, your paying for the right install and log on to the servers ,,, you don't own anything, and it also states in that the game many change in the future and .... hey guess what ... if you logged in YOU AGREEDED to this. As you have to agree to it to actually log in.

You pay for the right to play on the servers and to use there software ie the game, you don't own either :P
    Science has made us gods even before we are worthy of being men: Jean Rostand. Yeah, Atheism is a religion like bald is a hair colour!.
    Classic: "The tank is the driver, the healer is the fuel, and the DPS are the kids sitting in the back seat screaming and asking if they're there yet."
    Irony >> "do they even realize that having a state religion IS THE REASON WE LEFT BRITTEN? god these people are idiots"

Quote Originally Posted by Zanjin View Post
    It was reported and i had to change it
    Sorry I know this is going back a few pages, the point I was dancing around was that you can't change your own characters name with in game tools. Blacklisting worked fine on my server even in TBC in as much as there were people who got a reputation for either being an asshole, taking gear for the sake of it, etc etc. and people slowly started to avoid them. On Nost you couldn't name change (I don't think, either ways you would have to have gotten ahold of their support to do so) so if you had a lvl 60 toon you'd want to protect it's reputation because grinding out another one would take weeks. A community-based policing. Hell even having a system whereby you'd not let people in your groups without someone to vouche for them would work. It doesn't have to be policed externally.

But yeah, discussion has moved on, don't mind me
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuesdays View Post
    I'm sure some people would, but most of them don't want to pay.

Why you think shity free to play games do so well?
    That's your perspective but we're not talking about a shity FTP game. We're talking about the best MMO game of all time. By quite a long way. People will still pay for that, look at Apple store purchases of old games from Sega - they make solid money.

That's not the Point of My comment...............

Ofc they can ban anyone who they want, but they just can't simply know who is/was playing on this private server. Also they don't care...

I mainly pointed out that by saying that Blizzard "can't" ban is an understatement. Take out the "can't" and say something like, they probably will/would not ban would be more in line with what Blizzard would and probably will do with regards to banning.

Also, keep in mind that they could also revoke access. This is not the same as a ban. Blizzard doesn't have to let anyone play on their servers
    Last edited by jibberbox85; 2016-04-08 at 12:20 AM.

TL;DR not a thief...just trying to play something they took from me without asking...kinda like thievery
    Unfortunately, that is not how video games work.
    Its their product, and they own every single bit of it.
    They are 100 percent in the right to shut down Nost, and if you don't enjoy what you think Blizzard took from you, then you are too closed minded for the internet.

Things change.
    People SAY they want Classic, and obviously a lot of people played on Nostalrius, but if 12 years later WoW still was in a state where it took weeks to get to max and had whole specs that were unbelievably ineffective it wouldn't have made it that long.

There are many great things about Classic, but the Tech the game has introduced in these last few years is indisputably important for its playability, so don't act like it was some godsend product that some third party bought the rights to and stripped for their own gains.

Anyway, what really should come of this is Blizzard just integrating legacy content into their game. It would be tough for them to find a way to make it work with all the updated tech, and living in the past like this is really unhealthy for forward progress, but there is an undeniably market for it. I'm surprised with as much as they care about cash that they don't recognize that.
    Owner of ONEAzerothTV
    Tanking, Blood DK Mythic+ Pugging, Soloing and WoW Challenges alongside other discussions about all things in World of Warcraft
    ONEAzerothTV

Quote Originally Posted by Rorcanna View Post
    With everything that's shite about WoD, people are setting their hopes to the CHANGE that is inevitably coming with another expansion...will it be for better or worse? That remains to be seen, but the change is coming.
    I'm certainly no soothsayer; but nothing out of Blizzard has even remotely suggested they will attempt to recreate the mulitplayer game they once had. MMOs have always been a niche market, as WoW got massive, Blizzard started to cater to more mianstream gaming styles; and 6 years later we have what we have, not really an MMO in its more traditional sense, but at least still an RPG.
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

Quote Originally Posted by Granyala View Post
    YOU are pretending to know the inner workings of Blizzard.
    YOU are dismissing a direct statement of ONE OF THE PROFESSIONALS WORKING THERE that stated: we do not have the old server side code any more.

If anyone looks like a person oblivious to facts, it is you. Not me.

If the DEV lied: That's on him. Not me.
    But I won't call him a liar w/o proof because I want the truth to be something that it is not.
    Well link the source then please...

As someone working in the software development Business that's totally unimaginable that someone would actually completely delete their old working code and not make any form of backup...

If Blizzard has srsly ever officially said that, well... Blizzard wouldn't be a Company, Blizzard would be a joke.

Quote Originally Posted by Slowpoke is a Gamer View Post
    Though they do tend to go hand in hand.

Unlike Robin Hood, this is one of those times.
    But there still not and never will be the same thing, you cannot use one to justify the other.
    Science has made us gods even before we are worthy of being men: Jean Rostand. Yeah, Atheism is a religion like bald is a hair colour!.
    Classic: "The tank is the driver, the healer is the fuel, and the DPS are the kids sitting in the back seat screaming and asking if they're there yet."
    Irony >> "do they even realize that having a state religion IS THE REASON WE LEFT BRITTEN? god these people are idiots"

Went to the store in 2004, picked my self up a copy of Wow original gangster addition...
    Played wow, got the expacs, was fun
    Then, a dragon came through and said here's new not original gangster wow
    New was cool I liked new!
    But then...I realised...I payed for original gangster wow and they gave me something else.
    Can no longer play original gangster wow cuzz update...
    soon realized update boring...
    forced me to turn in my classic for revamp...
    I payed for classic...and then they changed what I payed for without asking...didnt even have to buy cata for revamp to take effect...
    Not even a bad expansion thing, they took out content I payed for and a lot of it at that and replaced it with something after I had already purchased it...
    Private server, gives me back what I payed for after bliz took away what I payed for....
    Sadly you are just confused about what you were paying for. You didn't understand how WoW or mmos work. You paid for a game and 1 month of play time, then continued to pay for play time. Once you stop paying you aren't owed more, if the game changes you aren't owed what it was.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

Quote Originally Posted by jibberbox85 View Post
    I mainly pointed out that by saying that Blizzard "can't" ban is an understatement. Take out the "can't" and say something like, they probably will/would not ban would be more in line with what Blizzard would and probably will do with regards to banning.
    Well with "can't" I meant, that there's pretty much noch way for them to find out who of their customers was playing on that server. Yeah I see, it was a misunderstanding

Quote Originally Posted by F1reheart View Post
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PF_M88-eH98

You think you do but you don't.
    Yay mindless zergfest! Such fun. Such WoW.

yawn

Quote Originally Posted by AeneasBK View Post
    Sorry I know this is going back a few pages, the point I was dancing around was that you can't change your own characters name with in game tools. Blacklisting worked fine on my server even in TBC in as much as there were people who got a reputation for either being an asshole, taking gear for the sake of it, etc etc. and people slowly started to avoid them. On Nost you couldn't name change (I don't think, either ways you would have to have gotten ahold of their support to do so) so if you had a lvl 60 toon you'd want to protect it's reputation because grinding out another one would take weeks. A community-based policing. Hell even having a system whereby you'd not let people in your groups without someone to vouche for them would work. It doesn't have to be policed externally.

But yeah, discussion has moved on, don't mind me
    Forced name change by reporting is away to get around blacklisting people.
    Least back then on RP servers. Naming was strict for them
    Anemo: traveler, Sucrose
    Pyro: Yanfei, Amber, diluc, xiangling, thoma, Xinyan, Bennett
    Geo: Noelle, Ningguang, Yun Jin, Gorou
    Hydro: Barbara, Zingqiu, Ayato
    Cyro: Shenhe, Kaeya, Chongyun, Diona, Ayaka, Rosaria
    Electro: Fischl, Lisa, Miko, Kujou, Raiden, Razor

10+ Year Old Account

As someone working in the software development Business that's totally unimaginable that someone would actually completely delete their old working code and not make any form of backup...

If Blizzard has srsly ever officially said that, well... Blizzard wouldn't be a Company, Blizzard would be a joke.
    As someone working in the software development Business you should know they don't have the server software from vanilla days, and a lot has changed since then.

10+ Year Old Account
    It could have been years ago and I do not know where I read it or whether it was some video interview or whatever.
    I remember it clearly, but I don't have a definite point to start the search so I won't waste my time on that.

Ask around, maybe someone else has the source handy.

Quick and dirty search, this is the closes I could find: Read between the lines:

We have no plans of making pre-TBC realms. This goes against the very nature of an MMO and would be a logistical nightmare. There's no switch to flip on the realms to roll back years of patches and changes, and we don't intend to invent one so that a very small minority of players can play what we feel would be an inferior cousin of the World of Warcraft of today.Zarhym (CM), April 27, 2010
    http://blue.mmo-champion.com/topic/1...the-wow-killer
    So essentially, there is no simple "push backup back on servers and wee classic server!!11".
    Last edited by Granyala; 2016-04-08 at 12:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by AeneasBK View Post
    I'm certainly no soothsayer; but nothing out of Blizzard has even remotely suggested they will attempt to recreate the mulitplayer game they once had. MMOs have always been a niche market, as WoW got massive, Blizzard started to cater to more mianstream gaming styles; and 6 years later we have what we have, not really an MMO in its more traditional sense, but at least still an RPG.
    It's still plenty MMO to me, since I choose for it to be. Pretty sure I said this a few pages back...I'll never understand the people claiming to be trapped by their Garrisons and prohibited from interracting with others, and I guess I can live with that.

Quote Originally Posted by Zanjin View Post
    Forced name change by reporting is away to get around blacklisting people.
    Least back then on RP servers. Naming was strict for them
    Hehe, again, judging by the names I saw; not sure that would have worked But yeah I guess with Blizzards current automated report system it wouldn't matter what your name was just make some spam accounts to "report" it for offensive name and the email would be in the post :P