10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post

Chances are they have most if not all of that code but like we've said so many times:

1 - The databases no longer match and the data quite literally does not match those old systems
    2 - There are years of security fixes and exploit patches that they'd have to weave into the old code if they found it all
    3 - There are significant changes in hardware from 10 years ago to today. Don't assume it'll just run out-of-the-box, I have multiple VM's because of games I own that are 5, 6, 7, 8 years+ old that can't run on newer operating systems, CPU's, GPU's, and the like.
    a) you and I may think they have the code and folks in the industry may agree but there are a lot of folks here who are willing to believe a fortune 500 software co. somehow 'overwrote' them.
    b) re 1 2 3, right, this is why the recode work wouldn't just cost a rayd tear, it would probably cost an expansion.
    Authors I have enjoyed enough to mention here: JRR Tolkein, Poul Anderson,Jack Vance, Gene Wolfe, Glen Cook, Brian Stableford, MAR Barker, Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle, WM Hodgson, Fredrick Brown, Robert SheckleyJohn Steakley, Joe Abercrombie, Robert Silverberg, the norse sagas, CJ Cherryh, PG Wodehouse, Clark Ashton Smith, Alastair Reynolds, Cordwainer Smith, LE Modesitt, L. Sprague de Camp & Fletcher Pratt, Stephen R Donaldon, and Jack L Chalker.

Quote Originally Posted by Altear View Post
    Really that many? That makes my previous point even more relevant. That's an incredible amount of players for something so heavily kept under the radar.
    Yea at first I thought this was rather small, but when you think about it that about 15k People Play there at the same time, then this is huge.

Note, that there are also a couple more Servers with more Players than nost...
    At this moment right now, 17768 People are currently playing on the biggest WoW private server

Quote Originally Posted by Darkeon View Post
    Fixed that for you mate. Oh? You don't enjoy it when it's the factual truth that doesn't fit your mock-the-pserver-players agenda? Oh too bad.
    They dont have to provide it and they have every right to deny it.

Quote Originally Posted by dd614 View Post
    "billion dollar companies don't keep extensive backups of their products"
    There's no reason to if they never intend to use it. Their game is evolving, so is their code. This isn't a stale single player game with an end.

Quote Originally Posted by Garian View Post
    It does in this case. There is clearly a demand for legacy servers, yet Blizzard are refusing to supply that demand.
    Go and look up the definition of mature, then get back to me when you can come up with an answer that isn't emotionally charged (the irony).

The question is: Why?
    Because they're a business, and what you're asking to buy isn't good enough. It's as simple as that.

Demand usually connotes a significant want or need.
    Two being very different things with very different qualifications. Seeing as a subscription based MMO is a luxury, you definitely don't need it, so obviously a classic server is a "want". A "want" that's extremely niche and unstable for a business.

So I suppose we need to play by your rules of verification-ism and actually prove it to you. Even then nothing might not change. That's when we see your true colors.
    Don't need to prove it to me - you need to prove it to Blizzard. Stomping your foot on these forums and throwing a tantrum thinking that Blizzard never thought of the questions you ask and choosing not to do it anyways because reasons. I personally couldn't care less about your "plight" for wanting a classic server.

So 150k extra subs aren't profitable? This was on a non-mainstream private server as well.
    That's assuming that 150k extra people sub for classic servers (and it would be a subscription) and stay active to make rebuilding old code, staffing, maintenance, bug fixing, and anything else, worth it on top of their current WoW expenditures. I know you like to think "Well if this small group can do a decent job, surely Blizzard could do the same!", but Blizzard are beheld to a bit higher level of expectation than some random schmoes.

You can make the argument that this would be a bad investment compared to something else (which perfectly valid), but someone somewhere is going to supply that demand unless all these people die, or have no spending power.
    And when those people that aren't Blizzard supply, they will rightfully get shut down too.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkeon View Post
    Fixed that for you mate. Oh? You don't enjoy it when it's the factual truth that doesn't fit your mock-the-pserver-players agenda? Oh too bad.
    They made the product, it's theirs to do with what they want, not yours.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by eriktheviking View Post
    Opinions are like assholes: everyone's got one.
    Not all opinions were created equal, sorry friend. :^)

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Krassz1096 View Post
    It's the same game.
    Sure, the name is almost the same. That's about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildberry View Post
    Not all opinions were created equal, sorry friend. :^)
    I know. Mine are always right. :^)
    A crossfitter, a vegan, an atheist, and a vanilla WoW player all walked into a bar. I know because they all told me within 3 minutes.

World of Warcraft: Dying on MMO Champion since 2004

Pre-Alpha WoW tester since 2002.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by dd614 View Post
    "billion dollar companies don't keep extensive backups of their products"

lmfao gullible fan is gullible.
    Ofcourse they keep backups, but you must be dense beyond belief thinking they would keep backups for a specific iteration over 10 years ago. Nostalgia would LITERALLY be the only reason why they would.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Deficineiron View Post
    a) you and I may think they have the code and folks in the industry may agree but there are a lot of folks here who are willing to believe a fortune 500 software co. somehow 'overwrote' them.
    b) re 1 2 3, right, this is why the recode work wouldn't just cost a rayd tear, it would probably cost an expansion.
    Pretty much. People are like "15k players paying $15 a month would pay for it". No they wouldn't. That money wouldn't even come close to covering a full team of developers at industry rates of $80k - $120k for a year re-tooling for classic servers.

Quote Originally Posted by Deficineiron View Post
    more likely due to a legal structure dating from tax issue. the jake-leg issue is understood and would be so swiftly punished that it would not be much of an issue today.
    Or the fact since illegal and not regulated people can and have died from it. Also takes money and tax dollars away from the legal alcohol like the private server does from blizz. And they might tarnish thier name.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Jewsco View Post
    Missed a good expansion. Compared to wod missed a great expansion
    Hah.. I had trouble leveling through that place:O Even the first zone was painful. At least those evil pandas cant touch me ever again /cry

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Theprejudice View Post
    Ofcourse they keep backups, but you must be dense beyond belief thinking they would keep backups for a specific iteration over 10 years ago. Nostalgia would LITERALLY be the only reason why they would.
    To be fair, we have the original code from dPoint from 8 years ago in Github. I could pull it down now and probably even run it on our database. Trouble is, most of it wouldn't work because the db structure has changed too drastically.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrven View Post
    You can sell the ticket, you can only watch the movie once with it though. So if i watch the movie sure I own the ticket, but if I sell it that doesnt mean somebody else can go watch it. You bought the disc your game came on and access to the game nothing more. Your disconnect here is you think you own the game and you don't, you never did. You just didn't understand what you bought or that all the money you spent was not for ever lasting access.
    No you are certain that by not paying the monthly fee I don't own the game but not thats not the case....like I said in 2004 I PURCHASED the game at the store....If it was only based on the monthly cost there would be no fee for the game itself. But there is...for the initial game and for expacs...that is what is mine to do with as I please...thats why they arn't incriminating you if you sell your account they ban you because thats all they can really do...But you have every godamn right to sell it it is yours they choose whether your account can connect and thats it. I just chose to connect to nostalrius over blizzard simply because the only version blizzard allows their servers to connect with is very boring...just out of curiosity what do you still do in live that gives you a experience worth paying 15 bucks?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by eriktheviking View Post
    I know. Mine are always right. :^)
    Obviously. Your tastes are just so refined that over half of the rabble subbed at the start of WoD couldn't handle what you consider to be quality. I wish I had tastes as good as yours.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildberry View Post
    Obviously. Your tastes are just so refined that over half of the rabble subbed at the start of WoD couldn't handle what you consider to be quality. I wish I had tastes as good as yours.
    One day you may.

One day.
    A crossfitter, a vegan, an atheist, and a vanilla WoW player all walked into a bar. I know because they all told me within 3 minutes.

World of Warcraft: Dying on MMO Champion since 2004

Pre-Alpha WoW tester since 2002.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by zorkuus View Post
    I don't trust these people to be that smart.
    I and many of my friends contemplated playing on it, we decided against it though as we knew it would be short-lived due to the amount of growth it received and generally how Blizzard has acted in the past in such matters. I'm sure there were many others like me and those I know who just didn't want to invest time into something that could have the plug pulled at any moment's notice. I've been there before in different games, it sucks.

We are all players of the same game, we all love world of warcraft, the universe, the lore, the gameplay etc the only thing that separates the people in this thread is when in fact they preferred the game the most, at what stage in wow's life. No one's opinion is any less valid than another's, the entire argument is subjective.

People that say "you're wrong, it wasn't better" or "you think you want it, but you dont" have clearly been proven wrong. You can't argue this, the truth is in the numbers. It's up to blizzard what they do next, I for one hope they release legacy servers, I would love to play on an official server hosted by blizzard for peace of mind. If they don't all that's going to happen is another private server will open up and people will flood there with their characters as they left them as the people of nost are releasing everything to the public. it will continue to grow and blizzard will be forced to take action once again. The cycle repeats.

So, they can either spend their money on never ending lawsuits against people who will always be willing to supply a service in demand, or they will use that money instead to open their own server and profit from it themselves. While also removing the problem of private vanilla servers (mostly).

It's an easy choice to make from a financial perspective. Whether they are too stubborn to do so is their own choice...

Keep these threads going people! WE WANT LEGACY SERVERS! Force Blizzard to hear us!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by manboiler View Post
    Yea at first I thought this was rather small, but when you think about it that about 15k People Play there at the same time, then this is huge.

Note, that there are also a couple more Servers with more Players than nost...
    At this moment right now, 17768 People are currently playing on the biggest WoW private server
    It's more than that. At EU peak-time (afternoon or early evening in EU) for the past 12 weeks I spent there there were 10k players online at minimum, 13k at most (to my knowledge). What I'm saying is, EVEN when most of EU was sleeping, the server had close to 10k players online. So it's safe to assume that the daily "visitor" count would be something along the lines of 20-30k.