Quote Originally Posted by Osmeric View Post
    All those software pirates and TOS violators. Blizzard will be so sorry to be rid of them, right?

Oh wait, they'll be happy to boot them out the door. Good fucking riddance.
    Please, they can't afford to get rid of anybody at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerfiend View Post
    They didn't. They called it Nostralis the emilylorange experience. Because they like your early art much better and copied it in a stylized manor.
    Then you are infringing on my trademark and possibly committing forgery ^_^

If the value of the thing is because it has my name on it, at the very least you can expect me to legally kick down your door and liberate my stuff from your possession

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Altear View Post
    Now they have already stated to blizzard they will give them everything they have worked on to get them to the point where Nostalrius was, already taking a HUUUUUUUUUGE amount of the legwork away in making this a reality for Blizzard.

Now if blizzard required a sub to play vanilla servers, assigned a small team to fixing bugs etc, used Nost resources, their startup costs and maintenance costs would be minimal.
    See this is where you are wrong. Even in the remote possibility Blizzard wanted to "pickup where they left", they had to simply toss every piece of code Nost did. Different hardware and structures require different code. Plus, arranging it and maintaining would be the things that would cost the most, lightyears from being "minimal".

Quote Originally Posted by Marakesh View Post
    Of course they can. That's why they ban botters, for example.

They will likely get a net plus in subs from shutting down private servers, all the faux outrage notwithstanding.
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler
    "Do you want a game with no casuals so about 500 players?"

All those software pirates and TOS violators. Blizzard will be so sorry to be rid of them, right?

Oh wait, they'll be happy to boot them out the door. Good fucking riddance.
    You pirate, you violate the TOS when you talk like shit to people. You violate the TOS if you say a cuss word. You violate the TOS if you fart wrong. I bet you have.. with almost 100% certainty. So good riddance to you too?
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaiserneko View Post
    Alright, you've convinced me. You've defeated me with your superior intellect and articulate arguments. All hail Jokerfiend.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Deficineiron View Post
    using the 10k number is like saying wow only has 200k western subs.

not every account is always logged on.

not every active account is on every day at the same time.

etc.

the 150k logged in last 10 days is more significant. it is a much stricter definition than, say, what blizzard uses for their china subs.
    I know, I used 10k as a reference (as I read the figures on that server were much closer to 5k).

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaidax View Post
    It is not pointless, we keep getting this ridiculous piece of fake petition waved around our nose as if it's it is some legitimate argument that's it's OK to steal shit.

It just shows what kind of people we're dealing with really.

Bunch of thugs who have no shame really, that's all. And as for topic itself - it really should be closed already, it's just people throwing trash on each other here. Private server rightfully closed, end of story.

Cherrypicking a select few and calling it fake? Why do you do this?

Anyways theft =/ copyright infrigement

Theres a reason why these are two different things. Stealing something means that not only you gain access to something, but you also physically steal the object from it's owners hand , and he can no longer access it. ie an owner can no longer drive his car if it got stolen.

When it comes to piracy, it's a whole different story. Your not really stealing anything, you are just making unauthorized copies of something. You aren't really "stealing anything" because making a digital copy of something requires zero money. A game company doesn't lose anything (except potential revenue) when you pirate their game.

Anyways, nost hosted a service that blizzard DID NOT PROVIDE.

Nostalrius, by existing, didin't really hurt blizzard, because vanilla was always a buggy, irrelevant, horrible, unplayable, disastrous, grindy, boring game. If anything, it showed how bad vanilla was and the clear superiority of warlords of draenor over vanilla WoW. That is in fact, why it had so few players. So really, nost only helped blizzard by showing how vanilla WoW was shit.

Now can i please play this shitty, buggy, unplayable, grindy, unbalanced version of WoW please? I'd even pay 15$ for it.
    Last edited by mmoc7f3035b6ae; 2016-04-08 at 10:46 PM.

Stealing shit is status quo for this world. Acting on a moral high horse when the world is literally feeding itself it's own shit.. come on now. What if Blizzard is on the Panama Papers? What then?
    Then you can come here and gloat about it if you wish.

But in the mean time it's a hypothetical distraction you're inventing because you have zero actual ground to stand on.

15+ Year Old Account
    Getting rid off people that weren't with them to begin with is no loss. It was more of a separate group of assholes that wasn't part of the community fucking everyone else over that was booted.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaylock View Post
    Opportunity costs.

They have considered the idea, and they came to the conclusion that the costs FAR outweigh any benefit they would ever see.
    I continue to call BS on that. If a small group of volunteers can do it; how could it even be difficult for Blizzard? They already did it once, and all the art assets still exist. I predict that the demand for an official Blizzard vanilla server would be at least 5 to 1 of Nostalrius. That equals a lot of monthly revenue.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaylock View Post
    People would play it for a bit, get bored and abandon the server after a few months.
    I think you have mistaken vanilla servers with WoD. Nostalrius has been out for a year and it has only grown. The PvP Nostalrius server was objectively the most active WoW server in existence.

Yes, but the fact that Blizzard still doesn't develop legacy servers indicates they think it isn't enough money to justify the cost.
    Indicates that they won't do that because of their pride, cataclism was the excuse to destroy old vanilla azeroth because they pursue a "damnatio memoriae" (destroying all the memories of what the game has been), razed southshore, one of the most iconic vanilla places, is the brightest example, they are too proud to admit that old wow was way better than today's shit and act with the arrogance of the ones who know what is fun for YOU and what is not...

You think you do, but you don't ©
    Rogues are fine ©
    We're pretty happy with rogues ©
    Haste will fix it ©

You pirate, you violate the TOS when you talk like shit to people. You violate the TOS if you say a cuss word. You violate the TOS if you fart wrong. I bet you have.. with almost 100% certainty. So good riddance to you too?
    Nah, I'm the jerk who reports people that do that.

It's strangely never their fault when they get banned for their own actions, either.

THAT'LL TEACH YOU TO FART IN MY HOUSE, SIR

Blizzard don't care about pservers, but they care about Legion, that's why this happened.

Quote Originally Posted by Binki View Post
    You are wrong. Having more data does not mean having better understanding of issues.
    My statement was not so absolute.

Also you think a multi million dollar company relies solely on raid data and end of sub surveys for collection? Yeah, I bet they don't have anonymous community surveys, controlled test groups, marketing teams, etc. They are operating on a whim.

Shit, lets say all of that is true.

If Johnny Appleseed, avid wow player has his experience as anecdote and blizzard as its employee's play experience+Mounds of fucking data, guess who has the upper hand in making a policy decision.

Spoiler alert, it isn't Johnny Appleseed.

Yeah, you can go to bed now. It's past your bedtime.

Yeah, they're totes broke with cornering the MMO market even with record low subs and hearthstone practically printing money.

Quote Originally Posted by Pwellzor View Post
    Millions upons millions of people have played over wow's lifespan. You can't please everyone, and certainly no an absolutely tiny minority of vanilla private server enthusiasts. I'll be there in Legion most likely. If I don't like it. Cool. I'm not gonna sign a fucking petition on change.org.
    Right you can't please everyone, but you can prevent from pissing on a select few, that more than likely would be returning customers. At least some of them, but maybe not now. Their word of mouth about Blizzard changing as a company, wrong directions issues,(insert reason) could exacerbate the issue.

This the type of shit, you just don't want. No one wins. It cost more in lawyers fees to get the violations sent, then any of the "loss" revenue. Because you can't have it both ways.

Because Nos was either such a small subset, or it wasn't. And even less of the subset donated. It was a blatant Fuck you to the private server community. Nothing else, nothing more.
    Alright, you've convinced me. You've defeated me with your superior intellect and articulate arguments. All hail Jokerfiend.

Quote Originally Posted by Burts View Post
    Cherrypicking a select few and calling it fake? Why do you do this?

Anyways theft =/ copyright infrigement

Theres a reason why these are two different things. Stealing something means that not only you gain access to something, but you also physically steal the object from it's owners hand , and he can no longer access it. ie an owner can no longer drive his car if it got stolen.

When it comes to piracy, it's a whole different story. Your not really stealing anything, you are just making unauthorized copies of something. You aren't really "stealing anything" because making a digital copy of something requires zero money. A game company doesn't lose anything (except potential revenue) when you pirate their game.

Anyways, nost hosted a service that blizzard DID NOT PROVIDE.

Nostalrius, by existing, didin't really hurt blizzard, because vanilla was always a buggy, irrelevant, horrible, unplayable, disastrous, grindy, boring game. If anything, it showed how bad vanilla was and the clear superiority of warlords of draenor over vanilla WoW. That is in fact, why it had so few players. So really, nost only helped blizzard by showing how vanilla WoW was shit.

Now can i please play this shitty, buggy, unplayable, grindy, unbalanced version of WoW please? I'd even pay 15$ for it.
    Cool, so we agree an official vanilla server would be a waste of time.

- - - Updated - - -

Right you can't please everyone, but you can prevent from pissing on a select few, that more than likely would be returning customers. At least some of them, but maybe not now. Their word of mouth about Blizzard changing as a company, wrong directions issues,(insert reason) could exacerbate the issue.

This the type of shit, you just don't want. No one wins. It cost more in lawyers fees to get the violations sent, then any of the "loss" revenue. Because you can't have it both ways.

Because Nos was either such a small subset, or it wasn't. And even less of the subset donated. It was a blatant Fuck you to the private server community. Nothing else, nothing more.
    Disallowing a select few from abusing your copyright =/ pissing on. Got it.

Quote Originally Posted by emilylorange View Post
    Nah, I'm the jerk who reports people that do that.

It's strangely never their fault when they get banned for their own actions, either.

THAT'LL TEACH YOU TO FART IN MY HOUSE, SIR
    I bet you are, but I also bet you brake the law everyday. What makes you better than the next person? We all make our choices, we all rebel in certain ways. What make Nos so bad comparatively?

a blatant 'fuck you' to people who, by participating in the 'community', had already said 'fuck you' to Blizz?

A wave of apathy washes over me.