I started in vanilla, raided everything including naxx 40 (only killed like 6 bosses though to be honest). And I don't want vanilla servers back, the gindyness of vanilla was a super boring grind...I picked up bad habits of being a crazy packrat and vendoring every possible thing because of how much of a PITA it was for me to make gold. XD;

I don't see why this was a surprising move since that is technically blizzards property they were using, paid or not doesn't matter...they don't own the material they ripped out of the game for their servers.

Also trying to claim that its just so they can get people to play Legion is silly, wouldn't it have taken them some time to get through the legal process of getting this server shut down?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by bledgor View Post
    Get over it.
    I did. I live in the land of dreams instead.

There's a world outside of Blizzard. We can find what we want elsewhere and you can't stop us.

Life isn't fair, right? This philosophy of yours applies to you as well when the majority are awakened.

Quote Originally Posted by DeleteMyAccountMMOCSUX View Post
    What difference does it make?
    150k active accounts is still 150k active accounts.
    But it's not 150k active players.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by ArcadeMiner View Post
    snip
    Should we do this with all active subs shepherded into one server?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ielenia View Post
    And it has been pointed out, numerous times, that the demand is jut not enough, it's just not worthwhile.
    How would the demand not be worthwhile? This is the first time so far we even have any real numbers of possible interest in classic wow. 150k is more than many f2p mmos achieve.

Quote Originally Posted by MoanaLisa View Post
    The problem is that it doesn't matter what you or anyone else believes. What matters is what Blizzard believes and knows. And we don't have much information about that other than their various statements about how they plan to proceed. Or not.
    Why even allow the discussion then? It's just mods and the same 5 people criticizing others for even wanting these servers, or a discussion about them, in the first place? If any post advocating these realms is met with the immediate with the belief that it's inherently "wrong", why not just close the thread and deal with anyone who attempts to advocate for it? I understand not wanting dejure censorship, but you are fostering this environment where people are more or less forced to change their opinions/desires in order to be in the "right" (like it or not, although not backed with a sheet of data, much of the speculation is made with careful thought and sound logic, but I digress on that point.)

I thought the goal here (at least for me and those close to me in the discussion), was to attempt to get that information. Interest level, Nost player trends, other larger 3rd party servers player trends, market trends, price points, fixed costs and variable cost estimates, etc. Just because I want something to happen doesn't mean I expect it to or feel entitled to, but I will always think back to the words of my father when I was young "Believe half of what you see, and none of what you hear." I know they don't owe me anything at all, but it would be nice if they would be more candid about the subject, and what info they actually had/still needed.

The fact people can have multiple accounts on live is irrelevant. I'm just saying that stating Nostalrius had 150k active players because it has 150k active accounts is just wrong given the evidence that one player can hold more than one account.
    Let me rephrase that.

What does you argument add to the discussion? I'm finding it hard to think of anything
    Quote Originally Posted by Potboza View Post
    I created a black human male called "Pedopriest" and ran him to SW.
    I started asking where the schools were.
    Someone said "My kids play on this server you creep! How can you live with yourself?"
    I whispered back, "How old are they?"
    Yeah.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Garian View Post
    In other words, you want more proof that there is a demand for an ancient game.
    No, he wants to apply arbitrary metric to numbers that is not applied to official numbers. Doesn't matter that those numbers are irrelevant - the only relevant number is number of subscribers, which for server without subscription equals to number of accounts.

Numbers he's after don't exist. And he knows it. Its cop out to "prove" his point that vanilla servers aren't wanted.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lolsteak View Post
    Let me rephrase that.

What does you argument add to the discussion? I'm finding it hard to think of anything
    Absolutely nothing. He's trolling.

pointless screenshots and vids
    So what does this prove? A lot of people gathered around Ironforge. It is still a small playerbase.

So... you link to a post of mine and quote the passage where I actually say that I don't care if the number is inflated or not, and actually use the whole number? Are you trying to back me up, here? I'm flattered. Or... was I right on the 'lack of reading comprehension' part?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MoanaLisa View Post
    They aren't going to necessarily listen to players from a closed-down private server who are telling them that their research is wrong while raging about how Blizzard took their toy away.
    Who is to say that those players are exclusive to a private server (my question mark is broken, so pretend there is one there)

I have kept my WoW account active since 2007. I also played on Nostalrius. A lot of people who would want to play on a legacy realm have indicated so in the countless threads across the countless avenues of communication. There is even a poll up right now in this forum of who would play a sanctioned legacy server.

Some people would play it if it was sanctioned, and they have said so themselves. They do not play on private, not necessarily because it is illegal, but because the risk of losing your time and dedication is a real concern and the server cannot ensure account security to deter hackers.

Why is this topic still open?

Don't you people understand that blizzard does what they want.

It is their product their IP.
    Therefor nothing any of you thinks matters.

If they wanted legacy servers they would of opened them long ago.
    They still might do some day but this day isn't today.

Grow up already and stop trowing tantrums because you didn't get it your way.

Quote Originally Posted by mokapse View Post
    How would the demand not be worthwhile? This is the first time so far we even have any real numbers of possible interest in classic wow. 150k is more than many f2p mmos achieve.
    150k FREE accounts does not mean there would be a huge PAYING demand for these servers.

Deleted
    Yes, but what would that 150k be if Vanilla servers cost a monthly sub?

Quote Originally Posted by RickJamesLich View Post
    You haven't tried the server have you? Multi boxers get immediately banned, ditto with bots. This isn't like blizzard.

That being said, there are alt accounts, which I have already pointed out.
    So you agree that 150k active accounts doesn't equate to 150k active players?

Considering Nostalrius is offering their source codes (as well as encrypted player information) out to all who want it, I guess you should be able to find out how many are active as opposed to not active, if you really want to find out that answer.
    And if someone created two separate accounts using different information and e-mail for each, how would you know that the two accounts belong to the same player?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Propainn View Post
    Why even allow the discussion then? It's just mods and the same 5 people criticizing others for even wanting these servers, or a discussion about them, in the first place?
    This thread only exists because Blizzard is involved with the issue and people want to talk about it. There will be multiple points-of-view and as long as people stay within the site rules, particularly the rules that apply to future iterations of illegal servers or existing private servers, that's fine.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

Deleted
    Except people are saying players, not subscribers. And even then, it's just one subscriber. A single person holding two accounts still just one subscriber.
    No, person holding 2 accounts are 2 subscribers. On official servers they pay for 2 accounts. Doesn't matter if there is 1 or 2 people behind it - that is impossible to know.

150k active accounts made partly by piggy-back riding on the Warcraft fame. Maybe that's why 'many f2p MMOs' don't achieve that number, or because those f2p MMOs may also be 'p2w', etc...

Again: 800k total accounts, 150k active accounts. Assuming each account translates into an unique, individual player, we get 18.75% retention rate in one year. Those are not good numbers.

It's not exactly unheard of for people to become drunk on their own success.

Kingdoms rise and fall because the lessons learned in building them are not transferred in inheritance.
    They are correct. "We" don't.

Deleted
    So you agree that 150k active accounts doesn't equate to 150k active players?

And if someone created two separate accounts using different information and e-mail for each, how would you know that the two accounts belong to the same player?
    Of course 150k active accounts <> 150k active players. There could be people with multiple accounts, people sharing accounts. It is impossible to know number of players and its irrelevant. What is relevant is number of subscribers. Number of active accounts == number of subscribers.