Quote Originally Posted by xxxDkDkxxx View Post
    The token depends on someone else spending the money. It's not "free", it just means someone else spent the money.
    It only appears free to You.
    It's still free for the person buying the token, What somebody else pays for it is irrelevant to the question "Really? How I can play WoD for free, pray tell."
    Quote Originally Posted by Potboza View Post
    I created a black human male called "Pedopriest" and ran him to SW.
    I started asking where the schools were.
    Someone said "My kids play on this server you creep! How can you live with yourself?"
    I whispered back, "How old are they?"
    Yeah.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandon138 View Post
    I'll go ahead and wait on your hard data.
    Darthsithis went through that on page.. hmmm, 170 I think? Read the thread.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Lolsteak View Post
    It's still free for the person buying the token, What somebody else pays for it is irrelevant to the question "Really? How I can play WoD for free, pray tell."
    The thing with the token is - the "free value" (as in time you have to spend) is tied to the hard money that someone else spends.
    The less tokens that are bought - the higher the time investment will be.

I agree that it appears free.

But the next step in the argument is that "it's too expensive" (as in, too much gold)

Let's go straight to the point: Intellectual property translates in "don't touch our business" and Blizzard saw a threat to their business in this server, otherwise they haven't bothered (I mean, try to google a few minutes and ask yourself why they don't shut down ALL of them, IF is all about intellectual property)

Every active player in those server is a slap in Blizzard's face, every one of them is a person who says "the game you have now has not the same magic vanilla has"

AND it's crumbling into pieces every argument they rise against official vanilla servers: bugs, hardware, technical difficulties... a small group of unpaid nerds has gone through all of that with a fraction of their resources... so?

IMHO the only smart thing Blizzard should've done is to hire all those guys and promote Nostalrius as an official server.
    "staph whinning kid if u dont like pvp go to a potato pve server so u can play against bots" -Armiger

These folks which created pirate server were making shit ton of money from it
    one of the sources was advert.
    Naive kids still believe 150k+ server player-base was non profit organization.
    Learn how real world works.
    Blizzard did great job.

Quote Originally Posted by Motocarota View Post
    AND it's crumbling into pieces every argument they rise against official vanilla servers: bugs, hardware, technical difficulties... a small group of unpaid nerds has gone through all of that with a fraction of their resources... so?

IMHO the only smart thing Blizzard should've done is to hire all those guys and promote Nostalrius as an official server.
    Dozens of GM's to handle 1 server? That's a lot more resources than blizzard uses - and it goes without saying they'd have to pay them reasonably on top.
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    which is kind of like saying "of COURSE you can't see the unicorns, unicorns are invisible, silly."

Let's go straight to the point: Intellectual property translates in "don't touch our business" and Blizzard saw a threat to their business in this server, otherwise they haven't bothered (I mean, try to google a few minutes and ask yourself why they don't shut down ALL of them, IF is all about intellectual property)

Every active player in those server is a slap in Blizzard's face, every one of them is a person who says "the game you have now has not the same magic vanilla has"

lol ok.

Let me steal the source code of windows 7 and make a new OS with some folks and ask microsoft to just shut up and make it an official OS and hire us...

yes for real.

When teens talk about IP and money it makes me laugh so hard.

Zero understanding of whats going on

7+ Year Old Account

I think it boils down to how many of them would actually pay for the service? See the thing with private servers is, you never know the specific reason they are so popular. Yes there is mix between your game sucks now, old version is better; but the other big chunk is the fact its free. You would say: "But there are plenty of other privater servers doing the exact same thing and they weren't as popolar as nostalrius was". See the difference between nostalrius and those servers is that nostalrius offered quality and asked nothing in return.

Deleted
    Cringing so hard now. So hard.
    That's really not how companies work.

Here's a real life story for you:
    There was this guy who hacked into a company. Then he contacted the company and wanted a job there, to fix their broken security.
    The company said, yeah sure. We'll pay for your trip here for the interview.
    The guy turned up at the airport. The police was waiting for him there and took him away.

That's how companies usually work.

(And before someone goes there - yes, some hackers have been hired by companies they hacked, but those rainbow unicorns are rare. Usually they just get arrested and thrown into jail.)
    Last edited by mmocb3d24e6671; 2016-04-10 at 10:44 AM.

The thing with the token is - the "free value" (as in time you have to spend) is tied to the hard money that someone else spends.
    The less tokens that are bought - the higher the time investment will be.

I agree that it appears free.

But the next step in the argument is that "it's too expensive" (as in, too much gold)
    They're still free for someone spending gold.

I was buying time via tokens since they launched and only just let my subscription lapse last month (Bored of WoD), And i'm from the EU where the token prices are more than double that of the US.

It's more than doable for anyone who spends even a small amount of time managing a couple garrisons and auctioning things, The time investment isn't an issue currently (And will be less of an issue as Legion draws closer), Maybe tokens will reach an all time high during the content drought near the end of legion who knows.
    Quote Originally Posted by Potboza View Post
    I created a black human male called "Pedopriest" and ran him to SW.
    I started asking where the schools were.
    Someone said "My kids play on this server you creep! How can you live with yourself?"
    I whispered back, "How old are they?"
    Yeah.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Lolsteak View Post
    They're still free for someone spending gold.
    Yes I agree, it appears free for the person paying with gold, depending how they value their time.
    I'm just saying it's a bit slippery slope - because they're not really free - we're comparing them against "pserver free" after all.

But for all intents and purposes - yes, tokens give the appearance of the game being free.

Deleted

Here's a real life story for you:
    There was this guy who hacked into a company. Then he contacted the company and wanted a job there, to fix their broken security.
    The company said, yeah sure. We'll pay for your trip here for the interview.
    The guy turned up at the airport. The police was waiting for him there and took him away.

That's how companies usually work.
    I know a guy who did a similar thing. Only he didn't ask for a job. Landed him a gift basket.

I'm not saying that that is the standard margin in these sorts of situations, but still..

Let me steal the source code of windows 7 and make a new OS with some folks and ask microsoft to just shut up and make it an official OS and hire us...

yes for real.
    Cringing so hard now. So hard.
    That's really not how companies work.
    You don't know "how companies work" either.
    Or you do? How many companies you drive?

There's nothing wrong about what Blizzard have done, it's their right; but it's not the smartest move they could do.

If you look around even in these forums half of the players* would prefer to play on vanilla, and here you have an already working server with an already prepared team... so?

*inaccurate statistics is inaccurate
    "staph whinning kid if u dont like pvp go to a potato pve server so u can play against bots" -Armiger

There's nothing wrong about what Blizzard have done, it's their right; but it's not the smartest move they could do.

If you look around even in these forums half of the players* would prefer to play on vanilla, and here you have an already working server with an already prepared team... so?

It is likely I have been working longer than the age of many posters here... just saying.

and btw in software dev...

7+ Year Old Account

They coudl give it a try, but it would be a slap to their playerbase, as many of them (me included) believe in the words spouted by Blizzard for so many years. It has become like a principle in which they stand on. going back on that principle IMHO causes more harm. BTW I'm not talking about monetary value, but value in terms of credibility and after wod they are sorely lacking that.

hope all pirated servers get shut down

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyanion View Post
    And yet Blizzard has the tokens which cost even MORE than a sub price and people buy them. "kek".
    Which are being bought by someone else, if there weren't any tokens to buy for gold, all the people buying tokens for gold would most likely quit wow... LEL

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by stomination View Post
    Because none of the expansions didn't have glitches :P

- - - Updated - - -

Token prices will prbly drop then.

- - - Updated - - -

You can make that argument with anything they have ever done kek
    Probably, but not to the same extent :>

They can play Warlords of Draenor for free.
    No they cant and no one does.

The token depends on someone else spending the money. It's not "free", it just means someone else spent the money.
    Correct

There Aint No Such Thing As A Free Lunch

Someone always pays.

Deleted
    It only appears free to You.
    It doesn't just "appear" free to me. It is free to me. Because I didn't pay any money for it.

It doesn't just "appear" free to me. It is free to me. Because I didn't pay any money for it.
    Did you pay for the expansion? Yes? Then it isnt free.

Did someone else pay that $20.00? Yes?

Then it isnt free.

See above.