Quote Originally Posted by Chelly View Post
    what the fuck is wrong with you people
    Pretty sure it's called "tongue-in-cheeks".

Quote Originally Posted by Namalia View Post
    I can go off of what I can see, and from all of the shitposting being done by the community of that server, I can tell that it was garbage, and not something I would *want* to experience or be associated with.
    You're pathetic.

In terms of the "bad" community, you must keep in mind these vocal people are bitter because the thing they loved has been taken away by force, you to would be bitter as well, can you honestly tell me you wouldn't mind?

Infractions: 2

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Marakesh View Post
    This is categorically false. You think Blizz wouldn't have denied this already if it were true? Nost had hardware costs paid 2-3 months forward from direct donations. Its easily verified on their web site.
    Credit to original poster.

Quote Originally Posted by Paula Deen View Post
    They were already going to shut down on April 10th due to the bills. Last month they decided to stop taking donations and instead if you want to donate you have to go directly to the Server Host, who forces you to pay in bulk, in other words the whole bill or nothing. The bill wasn't paid. It was going down anyway but this is a convenient out for shitposters so they can blame Blizzard despite the fact that in this one instance they did everything by the book.

SOURCE:
    http://forum.nostalrius.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=37403

Quote Originally Posted by Propainn View Post
    Oh nice, now your side is resorting to "well they did it too" arguments. What happened to chastising others for doing that?
    /facepalm You threw a softball. I hit it.
    Quote Originally Posted by zorkuus View Post
    Are you a 14 year old rebel wearing a Che Guevara shirt?

Quote Originally Posted by Packers01 View Post
    I trust that a mutil billion dollar company, who has a pretty good track record on gaming has looked into this, and know if legacy servers are viable. Your move. After all, blizzard hate your side and is clearly only about the money, right?
    It's not as simple as that. Vanilla was made by a completely different team with different views and visions. The current team do not share that vision and don't support it, why would they move in a direction they see as wrong?

I just find it hilarious that everyone was convinced that the forums here were agreeing with them en masse
    Sorry to infrom you but that was your side making the argument first, I responded to disagree with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Molis View Post
    Credit to original poster.
    Read what's in the link. The dates services were paid up to, the earliest was late May. You think this whole thread went by with no one noticing that? Its an emotional argument, because people want to shift blame.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Doranian123 View Post
    Guess how many real life museums have been found illegal and destroyed in real life? Quite a lot actually

But if you let laws dictate your morals than your free to live your life letting others think for you
    I do believe obeying the laws and rules of the society, I also believe in the democratic system that allows me to change those rules if they're wrong - however we're now talking about entertainment and videogames, so let's not dive too deep into the dramatic end of the pool here. It's just a game after all.

I believe content creators should get paid and I believe without copyrights/trademarks and IP laws all we'd be getting is very shallow stuff. No one would be willing to invest any serious money in anything worthwhile. I don't think World of Warcraft would exist without those laws. And thereby private servers wouldn't either.

I'm not very happy about the direction of the current game. The content droughts have been extremely hard to deal with and the low production quality of WoD annoyed the hell out of me, but to think that it would somehow justify infringing on someones copyright seems wrong to me. Just because I want it and can take it doesn't mean I should or would. But judging by many posts in this thread, a lot of people would.

I simply quit and go play something else. There are plenty of other good games.

Quote Originally Posted by Helltrixz View Post
    I'd love to invoke my inner grammar nazi and laugh at what you wrote, but since I don't even know what you were trying to say... I'll go to bed instead.
    Same here, because Nazi is written with a capital N...EleGiggle

Quote Originally Posted by Pwellzor View Post
    /facepalm You threw a softball. I hit it.
    So let me just get this straight.

Your side makes fun of others for making "well they did it too" arguments, and dismisses them.

You fall back on a "well they did it too" argument, and now feel as if you "hit a softball".

This thread truly is amazing, I get what you were saying earlier about that Pwell.

Currently, theres a petition up [Not the one to stop nost from being closed to Mike] but one to US congress stating:

Include clause for older versions of online games for archival and preservation.

Currently the DMCA clause for fair use on "orphan works"(Currently, US copyright law does not recognize the term or concept of "abandonware" while the general concept "orphan works" is recognized, henceforth "Orphan works" will be called abandon-ware) does not include server emulation for MMO games. (Article on current archiving allowed) (Archive.org saving apple II games.)(Archive.org saves almost all windows 3.1 programs) This petition is to revise the current clause to allow non-profit organizations to emulate server side abandon-ware for preservation, educational, and archival purposes. Abandon-ware is defined by software/games that are no longer supported by the copyright owners.

Currently the only Archival process to experience these older versions of a game companies no longer support is to break current copyright laws. I will use two very popular subjects: World of Warcraft and RuneScape. These two games have evolved over their years of existence. The underdog understood some players want to experience the older version of the game no longer supported (abandon-ware). Instead of throwing a DMCA at the private server, they instead listened to their fan base and made RS2007. Blizzard on the other hand (Copyright owner of World of Warcraft) condemns bringing the abandoned code and software back to life for the fan base. (Forum post on staff's idea on legacy servers) (Developer's standpoint on it).

I urge a clause in the current fair use for non-profit organizations to preserve these games in their old state for not just nostalgia purposes, but as archival, preservation and research purposes since the owner of the content doesn't want to take a stand on making them. It would be horrid for a previous state of an MMO be lost in time. I would be as bad as Atari burying every copy of E.T. they could so no one knew the history of a game.

This is what Blizzard is doing is trying to make their legacy of an ever evolving game have it's old content be lost in time instead of allowing some sort of archive for players to experience how the game evolved. This doesn't limit just to World of Warcraft. Not having this archival clause would allow a bunch of older MMOs that have closed down due to resource issues, loss of profits and other factors make their games also be lost in time due to the current Fair use clause not allowing server emulation of said games.

As it stands right now, there is no legal way for someone to experience the older MMOs until a clause for fair use is put into place. I agree, no one should make money off the reproduction of abandon-ware, but non-profit organizations will get DMCA shutdowns with the law the way it is now.

https://en.nostalrius.org/ is one of these non-profits that wanted to just archive and preserve the game in one of it's previous states and recently got a DMCA even though they made no money and never wanted to make money.
    This petition will be delivered to:
    Chief, U.S./Anglo Division Library of Congress
    Linda S. Geisler
    "You know you that bitch when you cause all this conversation."

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Legion View Post
    Yet I had more fun on this shit website than I've ever had while playing wow on retail.
    So you have more fun on http://motherboard.vice.com then on wow retail, and your point?
    It was the best game I've ever played. EVER.
    Thats your oppinion. Sad to see that you didnt learn to grow up in the last 12 years and accept that nothing lasts forever....

And I think that's killing you. You just don't understand how a game so old can be still popular when compared to your arcade game.
    Sorry I dont care for freeloaders I just think it stinks that they cry faul play (like in that article) when they did the crime....Its like a rapist claiming the woman asked for it.
    Last edited by mmoc25fb373f9a; 2016-04-10 at 09:22 PM.

So let me just get this straight.

Your side makes fun of others for making "well they did it too" arguments, and dismisses them.

You fall back on a "well they did it too" argument, and now feel as if you "hit a softball".

This thread truly is amazing, I get what you were saying earlier about that Pwell.
    Holy shit, more:

Sorry to infrom you but that was your side making the argument first
    Just...wow. "They can't use this argument, but I can when it properly serves my narrative!!"

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummockelchen View Post
    seriously hilarious dude but no in my environment people laugh and dont say "lol" they only write it. had a clown for breakfast eh?
    When in doubt, laugh it off, right?

The server has officially closed its doors and with that, I take my leave of this thread. It has been an interesting couple of days, and I have never been so involved in a discussion before. I would like to thank everyone in this thread that has challenged my ideas and my opinion while remaining respectful and decent. To those of you who are for or against, always be the bigger person and do not mock your fellow man. To each his own.

Take care, and god bless.

Quote Originally Posted by TheramoreIsTheBomb View Post
    Currently, theres a petition up [Not the one to stop nost from being closed to Mike] but one to US congress stating:

Include clause for older versions of online games for archival and preservation.
    Oh god. WoW doesn't need to be preserved, it's still around.

Just...wow. "They can't use this argument, but I can when it properly serves my narrative!!"
    Do you know what a response is?

Holy shit, more:

One was about illegality vs morality, I'll let you make that distinction.
    Are you a 14 year old rebel wearing a Che Guevara shirt?

Quote Originally Posted by Zoldam View Post
    You're pathetic.

In terms of the "bad" community, you must keep in mind these vocal people are bitter because the thing they loved has been taken away by force, you to would be bitter as well, can you honestly tell me you wouldn't mind?
    I've had that happen several times, especially with guilds I've loved (10 years in WoW, after all) and felt like family in, fell apart. Pretty much same deal. I didn't go bitch and moan and complain and whine and stamp my feet, I moved on. You know, like adults do?

All they are doing is proving just how bad the community on that server really was.

Quote Originally Posted by Kelzza View Post
    Did you experience first-hand the community on Nostalrius? Or are you only going to consistently throw accusations? I have first-hand experience of the community on Nostalrius. It was obviously not 100% peachy, but I've encountered more people in my short time there who were more willing to help and be kind than anyone I've met in the last 5 years of retail. You simply do not understand the full spectrum of the situation, as is obvious in your recent post history.
    It's obvious by now it's not a lack of understanding, but a deliberate willingness to refuse anything outside pre-established opinions.

I believe that claim was made more times by those claiming that 527 page count=vanilla interest.

I'm not counting though and I'm not going to make a chart about it.

- - - Updated - - -

Keep shaming based on someone using a forum. Lets take a post count of the friendship is magic thread and I bet your eyes will open a bit.
    You guys are too much. Hyper aggressive then claiming others are spamming. Proven to be the worst offenders of that then start acting morally offended. Oh well, keep bumping out baby.

One was about illegality vs morality, I'll let you make that distinction.
    The argument is fallacious regardless of the situation it was used it.

It's basically "Well she started it!"